What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2018 Baltimore Orioles Thread*** Pitching Can’t Get Any Worse (1 Viewer)

Good for Matusz, may he fulfill his potential with another team
Maybe a change of scenery will help him like it did Arrieta. Still remember the days of waiting for the young guns to show up: Arrieta, Matusz, and Tillman. We're down to 1 remaining with the team.

I think Kim and Reimold will be getting more playing time.  Both players have just kept hitting whenever they get a chance.  I realize Buck likes to pick and choose situations for each player where they will do well, but both are doing well.  Reimold is also a decent outfielder.  That would also mean less playing time for Joey and maybe Alvarez, since Trumbo could be DH'ing more.

Last night, Alvarez at 3B, went to his left to field a ball.  It hits off the glove, hits him (near the face), and he finds the ball and throws the batter out at first.  I haven't seen him play that much in the field, but that was an ugly play.  But he still got the out.

Tyler Wilson is pitching well, but had two bad errors.  One fielding a bunt, he did not get the ball cleanly.  The second, covering 1st base on a double play, the throw from Manny hits his glove and he drops it.  I thought I was done see this in 12u house softball leagues.  He is not getting a Gold Glove.

I don't see why not give Kim more looks.  We know he has "upside" - the question is can it translate to the states.  After starting the year almost off the team and then getting a bunch of infield hits, perhaps he has gained enough confidence and footing in the states to be a productive member of the lineup.

If he can just do ok, he has the skillset to be a decent top of the order guy, ESPECIALLY if he regains even a little pop from Korea.  At the least he seems to be able to take a pitch and get on base which would have me believe he can be a good, professional hitter for us. 

Don't see the downside in finding out by getting him some more consistent playing time.

Ubaldo off to another terrible start.  In the first inning at Cleveland, 3 hits, 2 walks, 3 stolen bases, 1 reach on error.  Down 4-0.

On the error, a relatively easy ball hit to 3rd base and Alvarez's right.  He takes a step to back hand the ball and whiffs.  If he fields it cleanly, they probably have the runner on 3rd in a pickle.  Jim Palmer said Manny or Flaherty make the play easily, but Pedro hasn't played much 3rd.  Of course, they way he plays 3rd, he shouldn't play it much.

Another Ubaldo note:  this is his 4th straight really bad start.  And it seems like each one is getting worse.  They may need to move him to the pen soon.  They may not be able to wait for Gallardo.  It looks like Worley would be the next man up.

On an unrelated topic:  Scoop is looking really good defensively at 2nd base.  He is getting to a lot of balls.  Manny looks really good at SS.  It seems like he strong arm gets a lot more play there.

My brother automatically bets the over on any game Ubaldo starts, no matter the opponent or opposing pitcher. It didn't go well the first few starts, but now it's paying off.

Can Mycah Givens be a starter?

From mlbtraderumors.com:

Manny Machado Could Become $400MM Player

By Connor Byrne | May 28, 2016 at 6:58pm CDT

Nationals right fielder Bryce Harper might not be the only $400MM free agent if he reaches the open market in 2018, says FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal (video link), who reports that Orioles third baseman/shortstop Manny Machado could also exceed that total. Machado is a more valuable defender at third than Harper is in right, argues Rosenthal, and is just three months older than Harper (both will be 26 in 2018). Machado, who has slashed a videogamelike .323/.397/.634 with 13 home runs in 209 plate appearances this year, has outhit Harper (.243/.423/.537, 12 homers in 201 PAs) and leads all major leaguers in fWAR (3.4).

In yesterday's game against the Red Sox, Mike Wright pitches against Joe Kelley.  Both are terrible.  Wright goes 2.2 innings, giving up 6 ER.  Kelly goes 2.1 innings, giving up 7 ER.  So maybe Wright has the better outing.  At least the O's were up 8-7 after 3 innings.

Both pitchers are optioned to the minors today.

Vance Worley enters the 3rd inning with a runner on 1st.  He gives up a hit and 3 walks before getting out of the inning. But after that, he actually looked good.  Good enough to keep the game tight and give the Orioles a chance to win.

The Orioles don't have a day off soon, so my guess is Worley gets the start on Monday.

Any hope for an Adam Jones resurgence?
Jones went 2-for-5 with two home runs, three RBI and a strikeout against Boston on Thursday.

Jones went yard in the fifth and eighth innings, and he caused plenty of damage from the top of the lineup. Jones seems to be heating up at the plate of late, hitting safely in five of the past seven games, and he's collected six RBI over that span.

:hifive:

Tuned in to the Orioles game after the rain delay.   Got there just in time to see Matt Wieter's hit up the middle than scored 3 runs.  Even better that is was off Aroldis Chapman.

So the end of Saturday's game.  The Fox announcers were have a Chapman love-fest that was really annoying. Went on and on about how unhittable he is, could hardly wait to see the 102 mph fastball, and got all giddy when he hit 102.  They mentioned he was 8 for 8 on saves, but barely mentioned his 30 game suspension.  No mention of why he was suspended. 

So it was a double treat to see the Orioles win and Chapman get the blown save. 

Also, Dellin Betances, another unhittable reliever of the three headed monster:  0-2, 3 earned runs, 3.1 innings pitched.

Some interesting notes on Dylan Bundy from Buck:

“He’s been pretty good all year. If you go through the whole evolution, he went to fall league and the slider/cutter seemed to be the reason his elbow was ... He’s pitching this year without that. That’s a big pitch for him. It’s something he’ll probably have next year. If we get to a point this year we think physically he’s in good shape, we might let him do it this year. So, now it’s fastball, curveball, changeup. That was a big weapon for him.

“We get his 60, 70 innings, next spring take the governors off of him. Keep in mind where he is experience-wise and what’s going on with him physically. I’m trying to help him develop and keep him healthy. Next year and hopefully at some point this year we’re going to get a good return from it.”
So they are watching his health very closely.  No cutter for now.  60-70 innings this year.  It is easy to conclude Bundy is not starting any games this year.

Loving the late-inning comebacks, though I worry that they are in no way sustainable.

Bullpen is legit, especially once O'Day gets back, but this roster is a bunch of spare parts. Rickard starting to play like a Rule V guy, and they're treating Bundy like one too. And Kim looks to be the Korean reincarnation of Jim Dwyer - a great spare part, but not exactly a plus corner outfielder.

On the plus side, Wieters has become a clutch hitter. Nice to see him finally fulfilling some of the hype on his way out the door.

Their bombs away slugging style will make for a lot of fun 10-8 games at Camden Yards this summer when the ball is flying, but they aren't built for any kind of deep playoff success.

The game last night was one of the most enjoyable games I've seen. 9-1 victory and Manny getting a good shot in on Ventura. Never have liked Ventura, and a lot of veterans are coming out to tell him to grow up. 

Plus, mannys pinch runner scored on the HR going toward his era. 

Any guesses on the suspension? I'll throw out 5 appealed down to 3. You have to be able to defend yourself. 99mph

The game last night was one of the most enjoyable games I've seen. 9-1 victory and Manny getting a good shot in on Ventura. Never have liked Ventura, and a lot of veterans are coming out to tell him to grow up. 

Plus, mannys pinch runner scored on the HR going toward his era. 

Any guesses on the suspension? I'll throw out 5 appealed down to 3. You have to be able to defend yourself. 99mph
I am hoping Manny's suspension is minimal.  I think he got 5 games on 2014 for the bat throwing incident.  I also hope they view Manny as being on good behavior and not a repeat offender.

Ventura should get a stiff suspension.  I think 7 games for a starting pitcher is nothing.  They can push back 1 start.  If there is an off day, the team doesn't even need someone to make a spot start.  Ventura should be looking at 14 to 30 days.  I doubt MLB will go for 30, but that is what I think it should be.

Disappointing to drop 3 of 4 to the Jays. When do we move on from Ubaldo?
I don't see how they can keep Ubaldo in the rotation. 

Gallardo should be back with the team soon. I think he is traveling with the team and they are deciding if he needs another rehab start.

Wright and Wilson have been pretty shaky too.  It is scary to go into a pennant race with two rookies with marginal track records.  It is even scarier to do it with Ubaldo, who somehow wins 1 game per month.  His wins are on April 7, May 7, and June 7.  I know the last two wins, he gave up lots of hits and walks, but managed to keep them from scoring.  Every start in between, he has let so many baserunners score.

I don't see how they can keep Ubaldo in the rotation. 

Gallardo should be back with the team soon. I think he is traveling with the team and they are deciding if he needs another rehab start.

Wright and Wilson have been pretty shaky too.  It is scary to go into a pennant race with two rookies with marginal track records.  It is even scarier to do it with Ubaldo, who somehow wins 1 game per month.  His wins are on April 7, May 7, and June 7.  I know the last two wins, he gave up lots of hits and walks, but managed to keep them from scoring.  Every start in between, he has let so many baserunners score.
He's allowed 89 hits over 62.2 innings. He allows an average of almost 7 hits per start this season. He's really only had 3 good starts this season:

4/7: 7.0IP, 8H, 2R, 1ER, 9K, 0BB (W)

4/26: 6.0IP, 6H, 3R, 3ER, 6K, 3BB (L)

5/7: 8.0IP, 9H, 2R, 2ER, 6K, 1BB (W)

From mlbtraderumors.com:

Ubaldo Jimenez’s dreadful results with the Orioles this season (specifically over his past seven starts) may soon force the Orioles’ hand, writes MASNsports.com’s Roch Kubatko. Manager Buck Showalter declined to give an inkling of the team’s intentions with Jimenez, stating: “We have to look at other possibilities, but if we do something, he’s going to hear about it from us long before he reads about it.” As Kubatko points out, that type of sentiment from Showalter in the past has typically preceded a change, and the real question surrounding Jimenez is how drastic of a move the team will make. Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun wrote last night that a release isn’t likely given the remaining money on Jimenez’s four-year deal, but Kubatko hears differently, writing that the O’s are willing to cut bait in spite of the financial considerations. Jimenez is owed about $7.89MM through the end of the season and is earning $13.5MM in 2017 as well. He has a 6.89 ERA through 62 2/3 innings this season and has seen his once blistering fastball dip to an average of just 89.8 mph.
It would be huge move to cut Ubaldo less than 2 1/2 years into his 4 year deal.  It would certainly indicated that the signing was a huge mistake.

I thought they would move him to the bullpen to hopefully figure out how to pitch again.  Of course the bullpen may have less flexibility with Dylan Bundy taking up a lot of the low leverage, long-relief innings.

From mlbtraderumors.com:

It would be huge move to cut Ubaldo less than 2 1/2 years into his 4 year deal.  It would certainly indicated that the signing was a huge mistake.

I thought they would move him to the bullpen to hopefully figure out how to pitch again.  Of course the bullpen may have less flexibility with Dylan Bundy taking up a lot of the low leverage, long-relief innings.
I think almost everything thinks the signing was a huge mistake now as it is. They can't keep trotting him out there every five days pitching the way he is. Batters are almost running from the ODC to the plate to face him.

Lots of activity today.  Odrisamer Despaigne has been called up.  Vance Worley went on the DL.

Yovani Gallardo looked good in his rehab start last night.  He will probably be activated from the DL and start Saturday in Ubaldo's spot in the rotation.  I thought Ubaldo might discover an ailment that lands him on the DL.  Some rest and then 30 days of rehab starts.  That gets us to the beginning of August to see if he can be a major league pitcher again.

Tillman has been an ace so far this year. Really impressed with him. And well Britton, there's not much more to say about him. Great move to make him the closer.

We are going to the game Wednesday.  Probable starting pitcher is TBD.  It is the turn for Mike Wright (optioned to AAA) and Ubaldo (gulp).  Maybe we will get Odrisamer Despaigne, who pitched 1.2 innings on Sunday.  Or they will call someone up from the minors.

Dylan Bundy pitched yesterday and looked pretty good. 

Any recommendations on what to eat at Camdem Yards?  We have been to Boog's BBQ, but we are open to suggestions.

I think the Texan makeup game really hurt the Orioles.  In the middle of the a home stand, they flew out Sunday night to Texan, played the Rangers, then flew back late Monday.

Meanwhile, San Diego played the Nats Sunday afternoon, took a bus to Baltimore, then spent an off day in Baltimore, before Tuesday's game.

The Orioles sure lost a lot of the advantages of playing at home during a home stand.

Ubaldo ended up pitching well after his usual 1st inning. As long as he doesn't throw up all over himself every start, the offense will have a chance.

We went to yesterday's game.  The first inning looked to typical Ubaldo, allowing 3 hits/walks and 1 run.  But overall, he pitched quite well.  Later on, there were a number of batters where swinging at ball in the dirt and taking half swings.  So Ubaldo was fooling batters with his pitches.  After he had pitched 5 innings, giving up 2 runs and in the upper 90's in pitch count, I thought he would be done.  Ubaldo comes out to pitched the 6th inning and struck out the side.

So I was pleasantly surprised by Ubaldo.  I do think they Orioles are so thin at starting pitching, they need to keep Ubaldo and try to get him on track.  It would cost a fortune (in dollars and prospects) to trade any notable starting pitching during the season.  And the Orioles don't have the prospects to trade.

Other notes about the game:

- the weather was perfect.  80's, some breeze, low humidity all night.

- Trumbo hit frozen ropes at every at bat.  He got a HR, 2B, and a single.  His hitting slump could be over.

What a fun game to get to see in person Friday with my dad. Looked like it was going to be an early blowout with the 3 runs on 8 pitches to start, but as so often seems the case, this team waited for the second half of the game to start mashing HRs.  Fun weekend to watch the four games (most of them at least) while in Bmore.

And an pretty good meal at Woodberry Kitchen for a late fathers day (ridiculously priced Wine though, and pretty pricey all around).

Buck is really an incredible manager. It is impossible to overstate the impact he has had on this franchise since Bobby Valentine passed the Orioles over and he was the consolation choice. Thank God for that snub. The way he handles his bullpen is masterful - I'm not talking about on a one-game basis, I'm talking about over the course of the season.

Schoop's last 161 games over two seasons: 28 HR, 82 RBI, .314 OBP, .491 SLG, .805 OPS. I love watching that kid play.

Britton is ridiculous, and Brach has been unbelievable this year, as has Bundy of late. Will be nice when they get O'Day back. Was thinking Bundy might be trade bait for a legit starting pitcher, but he might be untouchable at this point.

Sure is fun to be 4 games up in the AL East. Hate West Coast trips, though.

I was thinking about the Orioles current management style.  They have the club build around a few key players, give Buck a bunch of straw and see if he can spin it into gold.

Last year's, Buck couldn't make any magic in the outfield with De Aza, Snider, Lough, Parmalee, Reimold, Young, Para, Urrutia, and Lake.  And the Orioles struggles mightily.

This year, with Kim, Trumbo, Rickard, and Reimold, Buck has made gold.  Nobody saw that coming from anywhere.  Now he needs to work some magic on the starting rotation a la 2012.

Since June 1st, the Orioles lead Major League Baseball in:

AVG [.299]

OBP [.357]

SLG [.534]

HR [51]
Those are just sick numbers. Hell, that AVG/OBP/SLG would be a really good month for one player. Those are team splits? Wow.

When Kim is launching bombs, you know the team is on fire.

If Ubaldo can be a serviceable 5th starter, I will be happy with that.

Orioles now 19-9 when Hardy and Manny are in the lineup together. Having those 2 guys on the left side of the infield together changes the game.

It was weird how they did it, but I'll take 4-5 on that West Coast trip anytime.

Nine scoreless innings from the bullpen, with Bundy leading the way. Gonna be sooo tempting to stick him in the rotation, but I don't think he's stretched out enough to do that and besides he's becoming too valuable in his current role.

Fun team to watch. Will contend for a playoff spot all year, thanks to slugging and bullpen. Still don't think they're going anywhere in the post-season with this starting rotation, though.

It was weird how they did it, but I'll take 4-5 on that West Coast trip anytime.

Nine scoreless innings from the bullpen, with Bundy leading the way. Gonna be sooo tempting to stick him in the rotation, but I don't think he's stretched out enough to do that and besides he's becoming too valuable in his current role.

Fun team to watch. Will contend for a playoff spot all year, thanks to slugging and bullpen. Still don't think they're going anywhere in the post-season with this starting rotation, though.
Yeah can't complain too much about a 4-5 trip out west, considering it looked like it was going to be much worse.

I would love to see Bundy get a chance to start this season, but I don't think Buck will make that move. Though if we keep getting crap from 3/5ths of the rotation, they may not have a choice.

Definitely need to add some SP before the deadline. Not sure what we would even be able to move at this point, but we need to add pitching in the worst way.

Bundy is capped at around 65 innings this year and is over half way there. No chance he can start if they want him for the end of the year. I doubt he's available for the playoffs regardless. 

avoiding injuries said:
Bundy is capped at around 65 innings this year and is over half way there. No chance he can start if they want him for the end of the year. I doubt he's available for the playoffs regardless. 
Really love how they are handling him by basically keeping him on a starters schedule 

51-36 at the break. I'll gladly take that. Starting pitching is still the weak spot, but the offense, defense, and bullpen are rolling and keeping us afloat.

DD saying they aren't doing a cap limit on Bundy. We'll see. I was hoping for a better outcome from his start, but we'll cut him some slack since it was the Rays. 

Not good news about Hunter Harvey. I don't think the full extent of the injury is known yet. 

Users who are viewing this thread