What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official 2017 NFL Combine Thread** (1 Viewer)

Ha, so you tried to combine the best of OJ Howard with the best of Bucky Hodges. That would indeed be someone worthy of consideration at 1.1.

Still a great group of TE's. Again not sure any class can ever live up to actual 2011 TE class, but easily the highest rated group entering the league I've ever seen.

As for the RB's,  I still consider it a great class, but I'd have rated the 2008 class higher coming into the league but this to me is best one overall since.
For a RB group so highly touted, I came away pretty unimpressed by the depth. The top is fantastic (Cook, Fournette, McCaffrey) but there aren't a whole lot of players after that I find myself eager to get. 

I don't know if Rank was saying that but if I had veto power with the Raiders, I wouldn't use it against Ross.

Amari Cooper, Derek Carr, and Ross?

I don't see a major problem if they took him in the 1st round just because it is something Al would have done.

Matt Miller‏[SIZE=.9em]Verified account[/SIZE] @nfldraftscout  2h2 hours ago

More

Who is John Ross? "A clean Tyreek Hill" - NFL WR Coach to me just now
Matt Miller‏[SIZE=.9em]Verified account[/SIZE] @nfldraftscout  5h5 hours ago

More

John Ross jumped 11'1"? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Of course he was, it's not like WR or deep threat is an obvious need for us, so why else would "every mock" have us taking him just moments after he ran a 4.22?  I'm never going to veto a pick that's the best player on the board, and I'm sure Oakland could make great use of his talents.  It's just either ignorant or trite to keep trotting out the "if he's fast the Raiders must be in love" thing in 2017.

Ross was already my WR3 on preliminary rankings but I think his injury concerns will prevent him from getting any higher.

For a RB group so highly touted, I came away pretty unimpressed by the depth. The top is fantastic (Cook, Fournette, McCaffrey) but there aren't a whole lot of players after that I find myself eager to get. 
Disagree. Kamara is nasty as is joe mixon. You have a bulldozer in sam perine.marlon  Mack is worth keeping an eye on.  Joe williams. Jeremy mcnichols.  

With the tight ends look unreal some good rbz are goi g to slide into round 2 in draftsp

The RB's that I feel moved up for me:

Christian McCaffrey, Wayne Gallman, James Conner, Marlon Mack, Alvin Kamara, Joe Williams

Guys that didn't do what I wanted to see:

Dalvin Cook, Samaje Perine, Jamaal Williams, Kareem Hunt, D'onte Foreman (due to injury)

Last edited by a moderator:
Think this RB class was hurt a bit by Royce Freeman and Nick Chubb not being part of it. Both guys were on track to be very strong prospects at one point, and are still big talents that could go in the first round eventually.

Think it's still a pretty strong group overall. Fournette could be a top 10 pick. I think Mixon would be a first rounder on talent alone. Not super high on Cook or McCaffrey, but they're projected first round. Some decent prospects out there after those guys come off the board.

Compared to recent years, I think it's a good group.

McCaffrey doing limited work
Christian McCaffrey - RB, Stanford
He weighed in at 202 lbs and will not run routes at the combine, instead choosing to work out fully at his pro day.  It's a bit of a contradiction for a player who says he feels disrespected and has a chip on his shoulder "at all times".  

DLF Analyst: Jeff Haverlack 
Didn't he skip his bowl game to prepare for the combine?

Think this RB class was hurt a bit by Royce Freeman and Nick Chubb not being part of it. Both guys were on track to be very strong prospects at one point, and are still big talents that could go in the first round eventually.

Think it's still a pretty strong group overall. Fournette could be a top 10 pick. I think Mixon would be a first rounder on talent alone. Not super high on Cook or McCaffrey, but they're projected first round. Some decent prospects out there after those guys come off the board.

Compared to recent years, I think it's a good group.
Still a good class but also a good warning on investing heavily into a draft (likely at an increased cost since everyone was equally high on this draft) a year in advance.

People were selling a lot to get 2017 picks a year ago and while the RB class is still good, it's a shell of what people were expecting.  All the elite RBs have taken pretty big hits to their value and several of them aren't even in the draft at all.  Depth isn't quite what people were expecting either I don't think.

Still a good class but also a good warning on investing heavily into a draft (likely at an increased cost since everyone was equally high on this draft) a year in advance.

People were selling a lot to get 2017 picks a year ago and while the RB class is still good, it's a shell of what people were expecting.  All the elite RBs have taken pretty big hits to their value and several of them aren't even in the draft at all.  Depth isn't quite what people were expecting either I don't think.
I bought into this class but it's more than just the RBs for me. It's the TEs and WRs as well. I have extra picks in 2017 and 2018.

I already have Cook, JuJu, Williams for 2017 including my extra picks. For 2018 I now have Barkley and Guice again I still have a few extra picks.

The next several years is loaded with talent at all positions. I'm currently working a trade to acquire 1st and 2nd round 2019 picks lol!

Tex

I bought into this class but it's more than just the RBs for me. It's the TEs and WRs as well. I have extra picks in 2017 and 2018.

I already have Cook, JuJu, Williams for 2017 including my extra picks. For 2018 I now have Barkley and Guice again I still have a few extra picks.

The next several years is loaded with talent at all positions. I'm currently working a trade to acquire 1st and 2nd round 2019 picks lol!

Tex
The TEs have lived up to the hype but the WRs are probably only a little less of a disappointment than the RBs.

The TEs have lived up to the hype but the WRs are probably only a little less of a disappointment than the RBs.
I think it seems like a disappointment because each year more players are opting out of the Combine events choosing to do drills on their pro day or personal workout. It seemed to be a higher number of guys chose not to participate in certain drills this year.

Tex

I think it seems like a disappointment because each year more players are opting out of events choosing to do drills on their pro day or personal workout. It seemed to be a higher number of guys chose not to participate in certain drills this year.

Tex
The main missing piece at WR is that at this time last year people thought JuJu was an elite prospect that would be picked in the top 5 of the NFL draft.  Now it looks like there probably won't be any WRs picked in the top 10 for only the second time since 2011 (the other time being last year's weak WR class).

The main missing piece at WR is that at this time last year people thought JuJu was an elite prospect that would be picked in the top 5 of the NFL draft.  Now it looks like there probably won't be any WRs picked in the top 10 for only the second time since 2011 (the other time being last year's weak WR class).
You don't think Davis could be that WR?

Tex

You don't think Davis could be that WR?

Tex
With a good pro day, maybe.  Most mocks seemed to have him in the 13-14 range even prior to his missing the combine though.

Either way I don't think he's anywhere close to a AJG/Julio/Cooper type prospect, which is what people were expecting JuJu to be a year ago when they were rounding up 2017 picks.

Tex
The TEs have become the strength of this class IMO. In general TEs will never be as exciting as WRs and RBs, but some of the best values will come from the tight end group this year. Fastest average 40 of any TE class, and these guys have the size to go with it. Media folk are expecting tight ends to be picked "early and often."

This is 100% true! The thing about JuJu is we don't know how much affect the injuries had on him this year. That fact that he played through them is a plus for me.

Tex

The TEs have become the strength of this class IMO. In general TEs will never be as exciting as WRs and RBs, but some of the best values will come from the tight end group this year. Fastest average 40 of any TE class, and these guys have the size to go with it. Media folk are expecting tight ends to be picked "early and often."
I love the TEs like most people who have been following this draft. You could draft at least one of 7 TEs and it wouldn't be a bad pick! Lol!

Tex

I don't think where they get picked this year is an apples to apples comp versus previous seasons. Since everyone here plays fantasy and we tend to focus on skill position it's almost not been discussed nearly enough that this is an all-time great looking defensive class. That's going to push players back this year. That being said I think 3 WR's will be lock first round picks, maybe all 3 before pick 20 and I do absolutely think they have a chance to get inside top 10 overall.  It's a deep class in terms of numbers, like yesterday they were talking about how it's more WR's invited to combine than anyone could ever recall. It's just filled to the brim more with the kind of WR's you'd generally be spending second round rookie picks or later on, not #1's. Going to see a ton of them going in round 2-3 of the NFL draft.

RB's were not disappointing to me as they were to others in terms of combine but I had noticed pre-combine the group was not as deep as once thought. I had a big 5 coming into the combine and that remains the case. What the combine did was make my big 5 fuzzier. Of the 4 that participated I thought LF was a mixed bag, a little more positive than negative for me in terms of the workout but I have some red flags regarding his commitment level. Mainly would like to know  why he was quoted in an article from mid-January saying he was currently 227 with goal of being 225 and showed up at 240. Is it commitment, ankle really not healed? Some questions. Cook easily had worst combine of the 4 that participated but not enough to remove him from big 5,. CM of course could not have had a better combine in all aspects and Kamara seems to almost have flown under the radar, thought he also had a fantastic combine as evidenced by highest Sparq score among RB's and he also looked great in passing drills. So two of the big 4 lost some ground to me, two of the big 4 gained some ground for me thus it confused the outlook on my end.

This sure is not some all time looking RB class. It's really kind of close on paper to the 2015 class, I think a little better but not wildly off. That draft had a big 2(Gordon, Gurley) and 3 other basically lock fantasy first round guys(Yeldon, Coleman, Abdullah) and then you had the second round candidates that year which was mainly (Duke and David Johnson, Cobb). I think this year it's similar with 5 RB's who will be fantasy first round picks, maybe 6 when all said and done. I hate to say the second round offerings will be better this year than a 2015 draft that produced DJ in round two of fantasy drafts but on paper I think it's going to be deeper than that season.

And as RB's go there are two additional candidates to the list. If Samuel is a RB in the right system that's kind of a game changer and I have no idea how he'd rate but Peppers might end up at RB. Does anyone here have any idea what kind of prospect Peppers would be at RB? Anything like Myles Jack who some said would have been a first round RB if he switched?

The TE's blew things up and I think if you are looking at quality and depth of this rookie class in non or single PPR leagues versus TE premium leagues it's not going to be similar. Put another way I put a much higher value on late first/second round picks in FFPC type format than single PPR leagues.

All in all I think that while the first round this year is plenty strong, and I mean fantasy first round, where I think we really see the RB/WR/TE depth unfold is the value that will present itself in the second into the third round. In that sense I view this draft similar to 2014 draft, where the WR depth pushed guys like Moncrief/Martavis types into round 3 of most drafts I saw.

Jamal Adams - 4.56 (Disappointing)

Budda Baker - 4.45

Adoree Jackson - 4.42

Sidney Jones - 4.47

Marlon Humphrey - 4.41 (Surprising)

Marshon Lattimore - 4.36 :eek:

Jalen Myrick (MN Gopher) - 4.29 :eek:

Teez Tabor - 4.63 :X (this is why you should just keep quiet)

Quincy Wilson - 4.56 (Gators aren't showing well)

Not sure how you can skip the Official Winner Of The Combine.

Obi Melifonwu - 6'4", 224, 4.40 with a 44" vert and 11'9" broad jump.  Second best broad ever, and 9" better than the 2nd place.  At 224 pounds!

Not sure how you can skip the Official Winner Of The Combine.

Obi Melifonwu - 6'4", 224, 4.40 with a 44" vert and 11'9" broad jump.  Second best broad ever, and 9" better than the 2nd place.  At 224 pounds!
I had heard he was scooting up the boards. This sets it on fire.

Man there are some great safeties this year.

Users who are viewing this thread