What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2016 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (2 Viewers)

Beachum to the Jags

didn't see the terms
It's essentially a one year deal at $4.5M with incentives that could bring it to $6M.  If he turns in a Pro Bowl season, the Jags have the option to pick up a second year, but it comes with a large roster bonus, so it's very likely to be terminated after one.

Steve McClendon signs with the Jets
:confetti:

Hopefully now the "McClendon's a pretty good player, you just don't understand, man!" narrative can cease.

I've long held the belief that he was basically replacment level and I will not miss him much....if at all.  If they aren't going the "space eater" route any longer on the nose, they need to find someone who can actually push the pocket around from the inside better than he could. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He was a good, not great, DT.  He was basically the reason our Run D was pretty good last year.  We'll need to replace him.

Hopefully now the "McClendon's a pretty good player, you just don't understand, man!" narrative can cease.

I've long held the belief that he was basically replacment level and I will not miss him much....if at all.  If they aren't going the "space eater" route any longer on the nose, they need to find someone who can actually push the pocket around from the inside better than he could. 
Agreed.  I think there are 3-4 guys who will potentially be available at #25 that may be able to do that better than McClendon this year.  The more time goes by, the more I think we see a DL taken in rd. 1.  There may be more quality there in the 20s than at any other position.

While you may be right, there are so many viable DT prospects in this crop they could probably wait until round 2 and get one that would likely have been in the discussion at 25 anyway.  Especially since they seem to be running more of a hybrid front these days.

I honestly won't be upset if they take a guy who projects at either DT or DE.  A strong top 3 at DE wouldn't be a horrible thing.  Rotate Cam, Steve and New Guy to keep all fresher.  Bump one of them inside on clear passing downs, etc.  Really shove that pocket all to hell.  They haven't been able to do that from the inside consistently in forever.  Inside pressure, I've come to believe, is the absolute most important/dispruptive kind.  Quarterbacks HATE it and not that many are great at avoiding it.

Agreed.  The fastest way to the QB is often right up the gut and most have trouble handling it.   Tom Brady hates it and anything on the football field that makes ol' Tom unhappy is a good thing in my book.

From a tweet by Seth Walden a  New York Daily News writer  - "Damon Harrison tied for league lead among NTs with 51 stops last year. Steve McLendon had 9."

found this interesting...

NFL considers “Peyton Manning Rule” against falling down, getting up and throwing a pass

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 17, 2016, 2:08 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptdizjc0odm2mtg3zwqymmyxnmi1mjk1mtywymewmzq5-e1447637880651.jpeg
AP

Call it the Peyton Manning Rule.

The NFL is considering a rule that would make it illegal for quarterbacks to fall to the ground, get up, and throw a forward pass. That rule is obviously a reaction to the controversial play in this year’s playoffs, when Manning fell down in what appeared to be an attempt to give himself up to avoid a sack, then got up and completed a pass.

The victims in that case were the Steelers, but they’re not the ones who proposed the rules change. It was Kansas City that made the proposed rules change. The NFL’s 32 owners will vote on that rule proposal at next week’s league meeting.

All 19 proposed rules changes can be viewed right here.

http://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on/article-1/Labriola-on-Harris-Beachum-Martavis/21ad1270-edf8-4fcf-8acf-e54b215139b7

Interesting take on the Steelers in FA and contracts.  Basically, the Steelers decide who their best player in a certain positional group is, and then won't pay someone else more than them so that there's no jealousy/hostility in the locker room due to financials.  For Example, Pouncey makes ~$9 million a year.  Beachum's new contract with the Jags will pay him up to $40 million for 4 years, or $10 million a year.  Pouncey has been an All-Pro Center (only 1 per year) TWICE and Beachum hasn't made a pro-bowl yet (even if he should have).  So, the Steelers aren't willing to pay Beachum more than the best player on their line.  Makes sense, and also shows why they might have fallen out of the running with Okung.

5-ish Finkle said:
So, what happens when the highest paid guy at a position isn't the best player there?
Yeah, not to mention that the average salaries of the top 10 LTs is  $11+M and the average of the top 10 centers is $8.8M -- so it's not exactly Apples to Socket Wrenches.  

Also gets muddy as a concept when you have a young player on the rise who you need to pay vs an established vet who's on the tail end of a bloated contract.  

5-ish Finkle said:
So, what happens when the highest paid guy at a position isn't the best player there?
They have been known on occassion to rework deals and offer increased pay to players who outperformed contracts.  Perhaps this principle accounts for such.

They have been known on occassion to rework deals and offer increased pay to players who outperformed contracts.  Perhaps this principle accounts for such.
When have they done this?  Serious question; since AB almost, kinda, sorta had a mini hold-out last year & they didn't even try.  If this was a policy/practice/something they've been known to do when players out-perform their contract, they should have done it with him, since he's the best WR in the league & isn't paid remotely close to the top WR.

I'm reading that Shaq Lawson is overrated so if NFL teams truly don't value him as highly as the general public, any chance he falls into the Steelers' lap? And do they take him if available? I like him, myself.

Contracts for backup and also-ran starting quarterbacks are on the rise. Given the opportunity, picking up a potential franchise QB in the early rounds is a sound investment. No one questions Ben as the starter, but we all know he will usually miss a few games. The way things look, PIT will have a shot. I'd be thrilled to see the Steelers draft a guy like Lynch or Hackenberg.

Probably get crucified, but my favorite pick is Hack. He's more NFL ready than Lynch to step on the field. Football IQ is incredible for reading defenses and making adjustments at the line. Strong arm and accuracy is good on his 3-5 step drops. Development wise, he needs to correct footwork issues in the shotgun (stands flat footed which led to his inaccuracy).  Add in a slight change in mechanics to speed up his delivery. His biggest flaws should be easily corrected.  

Contracts for backup and also-ran starting quarterbacks are on the rise. Given the opportunity, picking up a potential franchise QB in the early rounds is a sound investment. No one questions Ben as the starter, but we all know he will usually miss a few games. The way things look, PIT will have a shot. I'd be thrilled to see the Steelers draft a guy like Lynch or Hackenberg.

Probably get crucified, but my favorite pick is Hack. He's more NFL ready than Lynch to step on the field. Football IQ is incredible for reading defenses and making adjustments at the line. Strong arm and accuracy is good on his 3-5 step drops. Development wise, he needs to correct footwork issues in the shotgun (stands flat footed which led to his inaccuracy).  Add in a slight change in mechanics to speed up his delivery. His biggest flaws should be easily corrected.  
I'd love for the Steelers to draft him too, but where his value is appropriate somewhere in rounds 3-4, definitely not in the first.

Like Cortez now, or Woodley in the past?  There's always exceptions, but I think the overall idea is still sound.  Don't pay a new FA or a good player you drafted, more than the best guy in that group on your team.  For example, we're not going to pay a WR more than Antonio, period.  It just won't happen because it would be a huge slap in the face.

Also, the Steelers did pay AB more last year.  A lot of people gloss over that but they pulled $2 million dollars from this year by turning it into a signing bonus that he got paid immediately.  When they restructure his deal (This year or next) to extend him, he'll already have been paid that money.  So it's basically like he got $2 million dollars in a bonus/raise.

I'd love for the Steelers to draft him too, but where his value is appropriate somewhere in rounds 3-4, definitely not in the first.
Not in the first two rounds IMO, possibly in the 3rd but I would feel better about a 4th.   I doubt Hackenberg would be ready to contribute at all in 2016 though and like it or not Landry Jones is Ben's primary backup considering what is left out there (not counting Ryan Fitzpatrick).    

I should have clarified, Hack isn't a 1st round option.  Too much value at other positions to take that big a leap.  Given the risk and development required, 3rd is where talent vs franchise potential hits the pavement.  Only problem with the 3rd is you probably need to jump ahead of the Texans.  

Quite a few mocks have Lynch falling to late 1st.  If he's there at 25, I think the Steelers RUN to the podium.  The way this kid throws on the move is incredible.  As long as he doesn't have Kordell for brains, he is too good to pass up.

Please stop the hackenberg talk, I think he is overrated and would be pissed if they drafted him. I shiver just thinking about that proposition

I'd be surprised if we pick a QB in the first 3 rounds.  We usually draft BPA and none of the QBs are talented enough to be the BPA where we draft.  Maybe if one of the top 3 QBs fell to us in the 2nd round but the odds of that happening are nonexistent. 

We're going to go Defense and/or Offensive line in the first 3 picks, almost guaranteed.

We'll see what the FO does.  I still say Lynch will be the pick if he's available in rd 1.  Either qb will have time to develop behind Ben with other than a little toe dip action here and there when Ben is injured.

Does anyone have a projected high round player you DONT want on the Steelers roster?   Ragland is on my please don't pick list.  He's just not athletic enough to hang in the NFL.  Good teams will find ways to exploit his presence.

Grid71 said:
Does anyone have a projected high round player you DONT want on the Steelers roster?   Ragland is on my please don't pick list.  He's just not athletic enough to hang in the NFL.  Good teams will find ways to exploit his presence.
I think it's a matter of value, I'd take most 1st round prospects if they're still around in the 3rd round...

Also, Ragland reminds me of Borland from the 49ers.  Not amazing athleticism but great instincts and gets to the ball carrier every time.

I really don't want us to take Spence or Dodd.  They benefitted from being on good defenses and not necessarily from their own talent.

Watching Cincy replay on NFLN.

Dupree is clearly the best edge guy they have, he bends the edge very easily.  He looks like the goods.

Watching Cincy replay on NFLN.

Dupree is clearly the best edge guy they have, he bends the edge very easily.  He looks like the goods.
He also gets run up the arc WAY too much.  He's a freak athlete, but has to learn the nuances of the position; how to convert speed to power, how to set up tackles for the next move, etc.  If he can do that, he has the potential to be a Von Miller type disruptor.  If not, he's going to get a handful of splash plays a year based on athleticism, but get flushed out of the play far more often, until he loses a step and is out of the league within a year.

It was his first year after playing on a college team which had little LB coaching. He'll get coached up by Porter/Harrison/etc. He's going to be very good.

What would people's ideal first 4 rounds of the draft be for the Steelers?  Assuming that players won't fall past the round they're currently mocked in (Billings as our 2nd for example).  I'm using Drafttek as a baseline.

1. Billings (Baylor NT/DT) - Could be a run stuffer and add a pass rush during Nickel formations.
  2. Kendall Fuller (V Tech CB) - Was amazing as a Freshman, regressed slightly and played injured this year.  Talented and could fall.
  3. Deion Jones (LSU ILB) - A freak athlete who could end up going way higher, but imagine two ILBs that can run in the 4.3s...
  4. Yannick Ngakoue (MD OLB) - A very strong but raw OLB.  Tons of sacks this year, but mostly due to moving him around the line to open him up.  Is a work in progress but like Dupree is very athletic and has shown improvement over the last few years.

Boykin signed a 1yr deal with Carolina today.
At the time I thought the Boykin trade was a good one but he just didn't work out.   I thought he looked good with the few opportunities he got but apparently he didn't impress the coaching staff.

I was hoping to re-sign him and maybe things would click in his second season with Steelers.  He is only 25 and so still has a lot to room to learn and get better.  My guess is the Steelers are still recovering from the Cortez Allen extension and didn't want to risk another.

You all must be getting excited to see if your injured return in good shape to OTA's and to camp.  I thought the Steelers were really poised for something last year until the injury bug started with Pouncy and Bell and never really let up.  With decent health I see no reason the Steelers cannot make it all the way to the Super Bowl this year.  I see nobody in the AFC clearly better, and frankly I don't really see Denver, the Pats, the Chiefs or anyone else really on their level if the Steelers are healthy. 

Godsbrother said:
At the time I thought the Boykin trade was a good one but he just didn't work out.   I thought he looked good with the few opportunities he got but apparently he didn't impress the coaching staff.

I was hoping to re-sign him and maybe things would click in his second season with Steelers.  He is only 25 and so still has a lot to room to learn and get better.  My guess is the Steelers are still recovering from the Cortez Allen extension and didn't want to risk another.

Dane Brugler ‏@dpbrugler  Mar 24
Text from pro scout who was at #Houston pro day: "I bet Will Jackson ends up in Pittsburgh. They can't hide their love for him."

Godsbrother said:

I get what you are saying but its just a one year deal. Cant believe the Steelers couldn't come up with something to keep him? Fell like letting him go with turn out to be a bad move, especially with the CB issues.

Godsbrother said:

I agree but would have preferred it if he was resigned.  He did look good when he was out there.  Steelers are looking thin at CB.

I agree but would have preferred it if he was resigned.  He did look good when he was out there.  Steelers are looking thin at CB.
I think they let him go because they think he's a slot corner.  We have Gay who ideally would be a slot corner and Golson, who at 5' 9" could be pigeonholed into being a slot corner.  That would give us Cockrell and whoever we draft to be our outside corners, and if we resigned Boykin we'd have 3 slot corners.  They didn't think he had fluid enough hips to play outside corner and that he would get blown past when he tried to turn.  They kept describing him as "stiff".  That said, I'd have been happy with resigning him and trying to use him on the outside, but I think they viewed him as a backup/slot guy so they didn't want to pay him like a starter.

I'd be happy if they went all defense for at least 4 rounds
Agreed, unless some crazy talent falls to us like Hunter Henry in the 2nd or Sterling Shepard in the 3rd.  Then I'd be fine with them going BPA.  But if it's neck and neck between a defender and an offensive player, give me the defender.

The Steelers met with Jay Lee in Texas after seeing Billings and Coleman work out.  Could be a good player to watch.  He's projected to go undrafted but he's 6' 1", 215 lbs, and was a deep ball machine at Baylor.  He played across from Coleman so he probably mostly saw single coverage and not the opponent's top corner, but he's football fast (4.5 40 but looks faster live) and he catches well.

The Steelers met with Jay Lee in Texas after seeing Billings and Coleman work out.  Could be a good player to watch.  He's projected to go undrafted but he's 6' 1", 215 lbs, and was a deep ball machine at Baylor.  He played across from Coleman so he probably mostly saw single coverage and not the opponent's top corner, but he's football fast (4.5 40 but looks faster live) and he catches well.
Ive been thinking that with the NFL overriding downgrade of WRs this draft... that he Steelers may actually be sneaky and trust their own evaluations and buck the trend as value present itself.  WR in the first 3 rounds wouldn't surprise me at all at this point.  I dont think its all about 40 times for us.  Many other facets are just as valuable.

STUPID BOARD WONT UNDO FORMATTING.   Horrible 1994 internet.

Ive been thinking that with the NFL overriding downgrade of WRs this draft... that he Steelers may actually be sneaky and trust their own evaluations and buck the trend as value present itself.  WR in the first 3 rounds wouldn't surprise me at all at this point.  I dont think its all about 40 times for us.  Many other facets are just as valuable.
I agree, and I'm kind of hoping we take a ridiculously talented WR in the first 3 rounds that falls to us.  My preference at this point would be Sterling Shephard in the 3rd.  I doubt he falls that far but I think he'll be a great pro and it would be crazy watching him learn from AB.  Wheaton is going to be gone after this year and if they're worried about Bryant we could be left with just AB and Coates (and Phillips and Harold if they work out).  But imagine if we had AB, Bryant, Coates, and Shephard... And Bell and Green.

Or, what if Treadwell falls to us in the first?  If other teams grab Fuller, Doctson, Coleman, Thomas and Treadwell falls since he's "slow"?  I could see us taking him and being like, well, we got BPA even if it's not a need per se.

Users who are viewing this thread