What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2016 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

Not that I'm going to complain but how the hell did Leveon fall to us in the 2nd round?  How did teams miss so badly on this guy?  Was it his running style that turned people off?  

from his draft profile:

WEAKNESSES

Taller back who presents a big target for defenders to hit, especially when failing to lower his pads going into the hole. Size also limits his breakaway speed and ability to create on his own if challenged by better front sevens.Sub par vision prevents him from seeing cut back lines and sees him running up the back of his lead blocker too often. Pass protection form is inconsistent, has size to handle rushers or at least push them around the pocket, but often moves his feet too slowly or tries to cut instead of setting to anchor. Holds the ball away from his body at times, though he doesn?t fumble very often.

NFL COMPARISON

LeGarrette Blount

BOTTOM LINE

Bell has monster size, but also shows nimble feet. Can make people miss at any level of the field, but doesn't have very good vision. As the season progressed, Bell's lateral agility declined. Bell proved capable of handling a tremendous amount of touches. To become a full-time back though, Bell will need to continue to improve his ability as a pass catcher or become a more consistent blocker, in addition to improving his vision as a runner.

Last edited by a moderator:
from his draft profile:

WEAKNESSES

Taller back who presents a big target for defenders to hit, especially when failing to lower his pads going into the hole. Size also limits his breakaway speed and ability to create on his own if challenged by better front sevens.Sub par vision prevents him from seeing cut back lines and sees him running up the back of his lead blocker too often. Pass protection form is inconsistent, has size to handle rushers or at least push them around the pocket, but often moves his feet too slowly or tries to cut instead of setting to anchor. Holds the ball away from his body at times, though he doesn?t fumble very often.

NFL COMPARISON

LeGarrette Blount

BOTTOM LINE

Bell has monster size, but also shows nimble feet. Can make people miss at any level of the field, but doesn't have very good vision. As the season progressed, Bell's lateral agility declined. Bell proved capable of handling a tremendous amount of touches. To become a full-time back though, Bell will need to continue to improve his ability as a pass catcher or become a more consistent blocker, in addition to improving his vision as a runner.
Well I would say he definitely improved his vision and pass catching abilities     :lol:  

Wasn't he almost 250 at the combine? I remember that I thought of him as a Bettis-type one dimensional power RB when they drafted him.

Not that I'm going to complain but how the hell did Leveon fall to us in the 2nd round?  How did teams miss so badly on this guy?  Was it his running style that turned people off?  
His offensive line in college wasn't very good. He made them look alright, but if you watch game tape he'd usually make something out of nothing. It was one reason I was very happy when we took him, he was making all that production by himself. Imagine him behind a good line. See current results...

Any chance Sammie Coates is our secret weapon this week?  He's disappeared completely since breaking 2 fingers. He's not on the injury report anymore, but he's clearly also not on the same page as Ben. If they can somehow magically get back on the same page this week, it could be the X-factor that BB can't prepare for?

Any chance Sammie Coates is our secret weapon this week?  He's disappeared completely since breaking 2 fingers. He's not on the injury report anymore, but he's clearly also not on the same page as Ben. If they can somehow magically get back on the same page this week, it could be the X-factor that BB can't prepare for?
Tough to get on the same page when you're not even on the field when the offense is.   Coates is now the #5 receiver behind AB, DHB, Eli and Ayers and unless someone goes down or he shows something tremendous in practice, that is not going to change anytime soon.

ETA: I forgot about Cobi Hamilton too.   So technically Coates is the #6 receiver but really just a special teams player at this point.

Bell was a much heavier RB with Michigan St. He showed some good wiggle despite that and some even described this as a negative, that he would dance too much instead of just using his weight to gain yards after contact. Bell played like a smaller RB than he was. A lot of observers saw his style not being a fit for the kind of RB they though he should be.

He became a very different player in his second season after losing some weight. Have to give the coaches some credit for seeing him as the player he could become instead of the player Michigan State (and a lot of folks) wanted him to be.

Tough to get on the same page when you're not even on the field when the offense is.   Coates is now the #5 receiver behind AB, DHB, Eli and Ayers and unless someone goes doen or he shows something tremendous in practice, that is not going to change anytime soon.
I really think his fingers won't be right without time. It sounded like he couldn't catch anything and was limited to special teams last time I read anything about him.

Bojang0301 said:
I really think his fingers won't be right without time. It sounded like he couldn't catch anything and was limited to special teams last time I read anything about him.
Which is odd that they have Coates returning kickoffs.

Much respect to Mike Tomlin for his stance on Browns actions. If you have not seen the presser, he was not happy.
Yep. Watched the whole thing. I've always dug Tomlin's style but that cemented it for me. Guy's a great coach. You guys are lucky to have him. 

Copeman said:
I think Rogers has a huge game.
This is honestly something I've been thinking as well... or at least is a big factor. 

Screen passes could be huge in this game. The Pats usually aim to take away a team's biggest asset which is obviously Le'veon for us. If we rush it a ton, they'll just shut us down with a stacked box. Some screens could really throw some hesitancy into their D, but NO BUBBLE SCREENS PLEASE.

Screen passes could be huge in this game. The Pats usually aim to take away a team's biggest asset which is obviously Le'veon for us. If we rush it a ton, they'll just shut us down with a stacked box. Some screens could really throw some hesitancy into their D, but NO BUBBLE SCREENS PLEASE.
I don't see how they can afford to stack the box.  They can't cover AB/Eli/Jesse in man coverage.  If they do, Ben will eat them alive.  

Not sure either D is going to stop the other O that well.  This could come down to whoever has the ball last.

I don't see how they can afford to stack the box.  They can't cover AB/Eli/Jesse in man coverage.  If they do, Ben will eat them alive.  

Not sure either D is going to stop the other O that well.  This could come down to whoever has the ball last.
I have heard it speculated on talk radio that BB will be able to coach his D up on being patient against Bell's hesitation-style running.  The theory is that the Pats will bottle up Bell and then make the Steelers beat them through the air.

I have heard it speculated on talk radio that BB will be able to coach his D up on being patient against Bell's hesitation-style running.  The theory is that the Pats will bottle up Bell and then make the Steelers beat them through the air.
Depends on how many players they use to bottle up Bell.  If they use 8, we will beat them through the air.

If they use 7 or fewer, then maybe not.  

Depends on how many players they use to bottle up Bell.  If they use 8, we will beat them through the air.

If they use 7 or fewer, then maybe not.  
I thought KC was doing it with 6/7 in the second half. Instead of having a QB spy, they had a RB spy. He basically sat back and made sure not to get engaged by the O-line, and then would dash forward when Bell made his move.  It's similar to keeping a QB in the pocket, wait for them to try and escape, then run them down.

Steelers Mock Draft! (Mainly to take my mind off this Sunday's game which will be tough)  Most mocks are just shots in the dark at this point but I'm going to try and put players that won't 100% be gone when we pick.  And it's hard to tell who's a reach right now. There's tons of players going in the 1st in some mocks, and 4th in others.  Basically, this mock relies on things falling our way.  (Based on a combination of different site rankings/mocks)

• 1. Zach Cunningham LB Vanderbilt - (ALT - Quincy Wilson CB Florida) - Timmons played well this year, but he's getting older and is a FA this offseason. I think we resign him to a 3-year deal, but it makes so much sense to draft his replacement if this talented player falls to us.  Pairing him with Shazier would allow for 2 playmaking ILBs to own the middle of the field. He has tackling issues, but I think he can easily be coached up. (Wilson is a top tier talent in a deeeep CB class. Could see us taking another CB in the first to lock down the backside of our D for years to come, Cockrell can be a liability on the outside when he gets handsy)
  • 2. Demarcus Walker EDGE Florida St - (ALT - Carl Lawson EDGE Auburn) - We need a pass rusher and with a talented 2017 class and lots of QB needy teams there's a chance that a talented one could fall to us in the 2nd. See unexpected talent falling to the second - Tuitt.
  • 3. Joe Mixon RB Oklahoma - (ALT - Jamaal Williams RB BYU) - First off, we won't draft Mixon. That video means the Steelers won't touch him in my opinion. Talent-wise he'd be a steal here and he could pair with Leveon for the best backfield in the country. Since we won't actually get him, we could get another RB here to backup Leveon and perhaps spell him a bit. Williams is very talented and underrated.
  • 4. Josh Reynolds WR Texas A&M - A tall redzone target to pair with Bryant could make all of our efficiency woes disappear.  He's been a top WR in the SEC for years now and would make our dynamic receiving corps even better.
  • 5. Josh Carraway EDGE TCU - We need to double dip on pass rushers in this draft. We can't have another Jarvis Jones situation where we get 1 guy who we hope is the answer and pray for the best.  We need to cover our bases and make sure that we have a good shot at landing a guy who can get to the QB. If both work out, all the better!  We could have a rotation and give the rushers some rest.  And, a little competition didn't hurt anyone.
  • 5. (Comp Pick for Beachum) - Davis Webb QB Cal (ALT - Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss) - We need to start taking lotto picks on Big Ben's future replacement. Webb has the talent, but makes some questionable throws (like all college QBs) and Kelly got hurt and had some issues before that. Both would be a shot in the dark with the hope that they can be serviceable backups that might become more.  I hope we draft a QB every year until Ben retires unless we hit on a pick and find our guy.
  • 6. Jeremy Sprinkle TE Arkansas - I'm hoping Green comes back in 2017 at full strength. Assuming that happens, I still think we take a chance on a TE late in the draft. James has been pretty good, and Grimble and Johnson have been serviceable, but late picks are just WAGs, so why not use them on potential playmakers.
  • 7. Collin Bevins D-Line NW Missouri State - This would be a typical Steelers pick. He's got a hell of a motor and he was a solid team leader. He's a solid, but not great, player who would have a good locker room presence.  He could turn into a solid DE backup behind Tuitt and Heyward.

Steelers Mock Draft! (Mainly to take my mind off this Sunday's game which will be tough)  Most mocks are just shots in the dark at this point but I'm going to try and put players that won't 100% be gone when we pick.  And it's hard to tell who's a reach right now. There's tons of players going in the 1st in some mocks, and 4th in others.  Basically, this mock relies on things falling our way.  (Based on a combination of different site rankings/mocks)

• 1. Zach Cunningham LB Vanderbilt - (ALT - Quincy Wilson CB Florida) - Timmons played well this year, but he's getting older and is a FA this offseason. I think we resign him to a 3-year deal, but it makes so much sense to draft his replacement if this talented player falls to us.  Pairing him with Shazier would allow for 2 playmaking ILBs to own the middle of the field. He has tackling issues, but I think he can easily be coached up. (Wilson is a top tier talent in a deeeep CB class. Could see us taking another CB in the first to lock down the backside of our D for years to come, Cockrell can be a liability on the outside when he gets handsy)
  • 2. Demarcus Walker EDGE Florida St - (ALT - Carl Lawson EDGE Auburn) - We need a pass rusher and with a talented 2017 class and lots of QB needy teams there's a chance that a talented one could fall to us in the 2nd. See unexpected talent falling to the second - Tuitt.
  • 3. Joe Mixon RB Oklahoma - (ALT - Jamaal Williams RB BYU) - First off, we won't draft Mixon. That video means the Steelers won't touch him in my opinion. Talent-wise he'd be a steal here and he could pair with Leveon for the best backfield in the country. Since we won't actually get him, we could get another RB here to backup Leveon and perhaps spell him a bit. Williams is very talented and underrated.
  • 4. Josh Reynolds WR Texas A&M - A tall redzone target to pair with Bryant could make all of our efficiency woes disappear.  He's been a top WR in the SEC for years now and would make our dynamic receiving corps even better.
  • 5. Josh Carraway EDGE TCU - We need to double dip on pass rushers in this draft. We can't have another Jarvis Jones situation where we get 1 guy who we hope is the answer and pray for the best.  We need to cover our bases and make sure that we have a good shot at landing a guy who can get to the QB. If both work out, all the better!  We could have a rotation and give the rushers some rest.  And, a little competition didn't hurt anyone.
  • 5. (Comp Pick for Beachum) - Davis Webb QB Cal (ALT - Chad Kelly QB Ole Miss) - We need to start taking lotto picks on Big Ben's future replacement. Webb has the talent, but makes some questionable throws (like all college QBs) and Kelly got hurt and had some issues before that. Both would be a shot in the dark with the hope that they can be serviceable backups that might become more.  I hope we draft a QB every year until Ben retires unless we hit on a pick and find our guy.
  • 6. Jeremy Sprinkle TE Arkansas - I'm hoping Green comes back in 2017 at full strength. Assuming that happens, I still think we take a chance on a TE late in the draft. James has been pretty good, and Grimble and Johnson have been serviceable, but late picks are just WAGs, so why not use them on potential playmakers.
  • 7. Collin Bevins D-Line NW Missouri State - This would be a typical Steelers pick. He's got a hell of a motor and he was a solid team leader. He's a solid, but not great, player who would have a good locker room presence.  He could turn into a solid DE backup behind Tuitt and Heyward.
No O-line? 

No O-line? 
I thought about it, especially OT since I think Villanueva is the weakest link (by far), but I think that's why they drafted Hawkins. He ended the season early on IR, but he was a 4th round pick and he could definitely develop into a very good player.  Also, we signed Ryan Harris to a 2-year deal last offseason. He's pretty talented and was meant to compete for the starting Left Tackle spot this season before he got injured. If they think he can come back and play at a high level, I could see the team bypassing O-line in the draft and grabbing 2-3 UDFAs. 

Hopefully they resign Villanueva and Finney for cheap deals.  And if a great O-Line prospect falls to us at any pick, and is a good value, I'd pounce. Just didn't work out that way.

BigSteelThrill said:
Think Alejandro is a restricted FA. 

Also, I like Alejandro a lot, it was his second year. Look at how much better Gilbert played this year (#2 RT at PFF). Villa was still top 25 himself. The Oline has been dominant.
I have no interest in changing the line at all. Cohesion is the single most important factor in having an effective line. For ONCE, we had no major injuries along the line and look at the difference from prior years. 

If you look at the pedigree and the money spent there, there's obviously talent. Munchak is a great coach. Even with that, in prior seasons, the line was good but not great. Once these guys finally got some continuity and time to really gel, they dominated. I think they're as good or better than the vaunted Dallas line. I think they need to keep this group together. Villanueva was much improved this year and should keep getting better. 

I passed on getting into the SB lottery this year.  The wife couldn't afford to take the time off and I wasn't sure if I wanted to go with a buddy.

The Steelers instituted a crazy policy where the season ticket holder had to pick up the tickets in person in Houston so if I bought the tix I couldn't go it would be difficult to give them to someone else.

In order to have a chance in this game they need to make an adjustment on defense.  The secondary is too young and too tentative to not give Brady any pressure.  

How many times do we need to play the Patriots and watch them dismantle our defense before we try something different? I don't know what the answer is, I don't get paid for that kind of expertise, but I can certainly see what the answer isn't. Yet we keep doing it. 

No excuse for not trying the qb sneak at the 6" mark when your qb is built like a DE.  Doesnt work?  Fine, dont risk him twice.  But you cant just take that play out of the playbook.

Have they done a QB be sneak in recent years? That was my first inclination as well but I don't remember seeing them run one recently. It was SOP a few years ago.
Not sure they've run it since Tomlin took over.  Cowher, it was a lead-pipe lock from inside the 1 that they'd try it once, if not twice.

Until we change our defense philosophy, a Mike Tomlin team will never beat the Pats when it matters.  I mean you watch the Texans put all of the pressure on him and then you come out playing that soft.  

No excuses on this loss.  Wasn't because Leveon being hurt.  Wasn't because of the freaking Facebook Live.  It was because you have to play a perfect game to beat the Patriots and it wasn't even close

Until we change our defense philosophy, a Mike Tomlin team will never beat the Pats when it matters.  I mean you watch the Texans put all of the pressure on him and then you come out playing that soft.  

No excuses on this loss.  Wasn't because Leveon being hurt.  Wasn't because of the freaking Facebook Live.  It was because you have to play a perfect game to beat the Patriots and it wasn't even close
I just told a buddy of mine that the Steelers win 1 out of 10 if we play this game ten times. But I think you are right: It's never. Brady and Belicheck own us and I wish them all the ill will in the world, the arrogant mfers.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is the missed tackles in the secondary. Just freaking atrocious. Yes, the defensive game planning was bad. But we just can't have guys out there that consistently give up big plays because they miss tackles.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is the missed tackles in the secondary. Just freaking atrocious. Yes, the defensive game planning was bad. But we just can't have guys out there that consistently give up big plays because they miss tackles.
Consistent with how they have played all year. What I don't like is the softness. Here I am wearing my Jack Lambert jersey and (if he cared and even watched the game at all) he'd be all piss and vinegar with how far off we play our corners and how little balls our defenders have. They all go for cheap kill shots--Mike Mitchell, I am looking at you--but they really are not tough or hard-nosed except maybe James Harrison and Cam if he was healthy. I want an aggressive defense that dictates to the offense, not the other way around. 

Yeah, Mitchell really just needs to be gone next year. I'm nowhere near sold on Davis or Cockrell also. I know we need pass rushers desperately, but I almost think that the DB situation is just as bad.

There was some good performances from Eli Rogers and I think Jessie James really should be on #1 TE since Green can't be trusted to stay healthy/suspended.   

Nobody on the defense gets this credit

Yeah, Mitchell really just needs to be gone next year. I'm nowhere near sold on Davis or Cockrell also. I know we need pass rushers desperately, but I almost think that the DB situation is just as bad.
Mitchell needs to be improved upon, but that scheme was pure crap and anyone would have looked terrible back there.

Sort of a bad performance tonight.  Bell wouldn't have made a difference obviously.   Just sick right now .
"Sort of"? Try shatting the bed in just about every way. Try out-coached yet again even though we should know by now how the Pats would game plan to use Brady to pick us apart? How about not drafting a secondary guy until finally this year so we are exploitable? That was a pitiful display and an embarrassment to a city who prides itself on a good defense from its football team. And I'm not even bringing up Antonio Brown's selfishness which would need a thread of its own considering the size of his ego. Sickening.

Butler's got some explaining  to do. I know Hogan ran free on a couple of player mistakes but that gameplan was doomed from the start

Users who are viewing this thread