What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2013 Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (3 Viewers)

I went to the Big Green Egg "World Headquarters" in Tucker, GA Saturday because a radio station I listen to was there and they were giving away an egg to someone who answered a trivia question correctly. I got the question correct so my name was in the drawing and proceeded to win the egg. It's a Mini Green Egg valued at about $350. I also got a bag of their lump charcoal and a couple of tools. The thing stands about 24" high and weighs almost 50 pounds and has a 9-1/2" grill.

I have no clue what I'll ever do on it, but it's cool to add to my 2 WSMs... If nothing else it's a great paper weight.

ETA - I guess some small steaks or a couple of pieces of chicken will fit.
I'll give you $23.15 for it.

On another note, I have finally found the secret to smoking wings. Baking powder. I've smoked wings several times, but was never happy with how the skin came out soggy and rubbery. Found a recipe that called for 1 tsp of baking powder and made them Saturday night. Good golly. Smoked around 35 whole wings. Between my brother and I, there were 3 left.

On another note, I have finally found the secret to smoking wings. Baking powder. I've smoked wings several times, but was never happy with how the skin came out soggy and rubbery. Found a recipe that called for 1 tsp of baking powder and made them Saturday night. Good golly. Smoked around 35 whole wings. Between my brother and I, there were 3 left.
Where is this recipe?

Where is this recipe?
Recipe.

I cut the butter in half. Was afraid too much liquid would make them soggy and I think I was right. Came out just right. Also, used 1/2 of the parm and the sauce did not need any salt, IMO.

I went to the Big Green Egg "World Headquarters" in Tucker, GA Saturday because a radio station I listen to was there and they were giving away an egg to someone who answered a trivia question correctly. I got the question correct so my name was in the drawing and proceeded to win the egg. It's a Mini Green Egg valued at about $350. I also got a bag of their lump charcoal and a couple of tools. The thing stands about 24" high and weighs almost 50 pounds and has a 9-1/2" grill.

I have no clue what I'll ever do on it, but it's cool to add to my 2 WSMs... If nothing else it's a great paper weight.

I'll give you $23.15 for it.
Sold. Shipping will be $335. Want my paypal account... :moneybag:

Where is this recipe?
Recipe.

I cut the butter in half. Was afraid too much liquid would make them soggy and I think I was right. Came out just right. Also, used 1/2 of the parm and the sauce did not need any salt, IMO.
I'll have to give those a try. I figured if they were cooking @400 they would crisp without the baking soda

Last edited by a moderator:
Beer can cornish hens seasoned with Lawry's, garlic powder, and black pepper. Painted with melted butter and finishing off with Lawry's herb & garlic marinade. Couple cobs of corn as well.

It almost hit 60 degrees today, had to get out there.

Where is this recipe?
Recipe.

I'll have to give those a try. I figured if they were cooking @400 they would crisp without the baking soda
It's hard to describe. The skin was done, but didn't have that crispiness you get with fried wings. The baking soda gave them that.

Where is this recipe?
Recipe.

It's hard to describe. The skin was done, but didn't have that crispiness you get with fried wings. The baking soda gave them that.
I tried a bunch of different ways to do this with thighs. Slow and low, indirect / direct, baking soda. None really worked for me. The only thing that actually worked was removing the skin, scraping it, and sticking it back on. Kinda felt like cheating to be honest.

Where is this recipe?
Recipe.

I tried a bunch of different ways to do this with thighs. Slow and low, indirect / direct, baking soda. None really worked for me. The only thing that actually worked was removing the skin, scraping it, and sticking it back on. Kinda felt like cheating to be honest.
Thighs seem to have a thick layer of subcutaneous fat. I've had the same experience as you with thighs. Wings have a lot less fat under the skin, so I think that's why this worked so well.

The worlds most expensive and heaviest mini grill. You can grill a couple burgers on it and that's about it. Turn it into a flower pot!

The worlds most expensive and heaviest mini grill. You can grill a couple burgers on it and that's about it. Turn it into a flower pot!
How did things go in Jville?

Brisket question/help needed. The local grocery store here has fresh brisket flats on a regular basis and i've less than perfect results on all occasions so I'm looking to change some things. I understand I'd probably have different results using whole packers, but this is what I have regular access to.

The briskets are trimmed, typically 6-8 lb flats, with a some fat left on it. I always try to select ones which are thickest, and most uniform in shape thinking the thicker ones will be less likely to dry out. For smoking, I have a Backwoods Party (I love it BTW), and keep a fairly consistant 230-240 degree temp throughout the cook. I wrap the brisket in foil at ~165 degree, adding a little liquid to it before wrapping, I use a toothpick to probe for tenderness along with a digital thermometer to verify, this can be anywhere between 190ish - 200 degrees.

Now the problem - They always seem to take on the texture of a rump roast, with very little fat/marbling throughout. I can not achieve that "pull" you like to see on a perfectly cooked brisket.

I'm beginning to believe the flats are to lean for the low and slow method, and will be better prepared cooking somewhere in the 275 degree range. It seems the lower temp, is rendering what little fat they have due to cooking over a longer period

Thoughts or opinions here would be great.

Brisket question/help needed. The local grocery store here has fresh brisket flats on a regular basis and i've less than perfect results on all occasions so I'm looking to change some things. I understand I'd probably have different results using whole packers, but this is what I have regular access to.

The briskets are trimmed, typically 6-8 lb flats, with a some fat left on it. I always try to select ones which are thickest, and most uniform in shape thinking the thicker ones will be less likely to dry out. For smoking, I have a Backwoods Party (I love it BTW), and keep a fairly consistant 230-240 degree temp throughout the cook. I wrap the brisket in foil at ~165 degree, adding a little liquid to it before wrapping, I use a toothpick to probe for tenderness along with a digital thermometer to verify, this can be anywhere between 190ish - 200 degrees.

Now the problem - They always seem to take on the texture of a rump roast, with very little fat/marbling throughout. I can not achieve that "pull" you like to see on a perfectly cooked brisket.

I'm beginning to believe the flats are to lean for the low and slow method, and will be better prepared cooking somewhere in the 275 degree range. It seems the lower temp, is rendering what little fat they have due to cooking over a longer period

Are you marking the brisket corner and then cutting against the grain when finished??

Are you marking the brisket corner and then cutting against the grain when finished??
No I don't mark the corner, I assume this is to mark the grain? Yes, I cut against the grain, though it's possible I misread it on occasion, thinking about it, this would/could cause the issue I'm seeing but would find it hard to believe I've misread it that often? (and I'm glad you showed up here).

When doing flats (assuming you do) what temps do you run?

No I don't mark the corner, I assume this is to mark the grain? Yes, I cut against the grain, though it's possible I misread it on occasion, thinking about it, this would/could cause the issue I'm seeing but would find it hard to believe I've misread it that often? (and I'm glad you showed up here).

It's almost impossible to tell the run of the grain once the brisket has been cooked, that is why it is so important to cut/mark the corner prior to cooking.

Typically 200-225 but cooking at 275 is an option if I'm short on time.

Try foiling at 150 and pulling off the heat at 185, you really do not want the internal temp of a brisket to get above 195. Most of your fat will be melting at about 175-180, this can cause some cooling/stalling but once it hits 185 it can heat up quick and if you are pulling to at 195 and letting it rest then I fear it is overcooking while resting.

I usually pull mine at 165 and put in a foil pan with 2 cans of beef broth, poured around the meat. Then I cover with foil and finish in the oven at 250 until it gets to 195 internal then let it rest. Ive had great results this way.

It's almost impossible to tell the run of the grain once the brisket has been cooked, that is why it is so important to cut/mark the corner prior to cooking.

Try foiling at 150 and pulling off the heat at 185, you really do not want the internal temp of a brisket to get above 195. Most of your fat will be melting at about 175-180, this can cause some cooling/stalling but once it hits 185 it can heat up quick and if you are pulling to at 195 and letting it rest then I fear it is overcooking while resting.
I will try to pay to closer attention to the grain. As I said, I was aware of the need to cut across grain but didn't make an emphysis of it. The fact I can't get the texture/pull I like, may point to this, good call.

To the doneness, I cook more by feel, when I can slide a toothpick in and out easily, I consider it done. I'll check with a thermometer to verify, but the tenderness is the determining factor for me. This has been as early as 190ish to ~200. I don't believe any any two cuts are identicle - so temperature is merly an indicator.

I will try to pay to closer attention to the grain. As I said, I was aware of the need to cut across grain but didn't make an emphysis of it. The fact I can't get the texture/pull I like, may point to this, good call.

To the doneness, I cook more by feel, when I can slide a toothpick in and out easily, I consider it done. I'll check with a thermometer to verify, but the tenderness is the determining factor for me. This has been as early as 190ish to ~200. I don't believe any any two cuts are identicle - so temperature is merly an indicator.
Don't forget...you can cook brisket to a point where it becomes mushy....like a pot roast almost. You're best bet with brisket and butts for that matter is to cook to temp

Unpack the marking process a bit, please.

Unpack the marking process a bit, please.
5:45 mark

Where is this recipe?
Recipe.

Was there any smoke flavor? The link says he didn't use wood? Did you just throw them on the grill?

southeastjerome said:
Where is this recipe?
Recipe.

Was there any smoke flavor? The link says he didn't use wood? Did you just throw them on the grill?
I did. Hickory. And, yes, plenty of smoke flavor. :thumbup:

southeastjerome said:
Where is this recipe?
Recipe.

at 400 for only 40 minutes? I'm just used to "low and slow" when it comes to using my smoker.

southeastjerome said:
Where is this recipe?
Recipe.

at 400 for only 40 minutes? I'm just used to "low and slow" when it comes to using my smoker.
I have a Chargriller . For low and slow, I build the fire in the side box. When I want high heat, I move my charcoal basket into the cooking chamber and use a foil pan as a baffle between the food on one side and fire on the other. Works alright.

Another brisket questin and one that is often debated, foiling.

Do you alway foil and if not, have you in the past and did you notice a differeance? I see a lot of individuals swear by not foiling of the smoking forums I visit, while other would not consider not foiling. I'm in the foiling camp, only because it's the only way I've ever done it. That said, I've never been real happy with the lack of bark because of foiling.

Typically when I foil, at ~165 deg. the rub is still wet and burnt ends are not 'burnt". Then wrapping in foil makes the situation even worse, the rub compound turns more mushy. the flavor is still there, but presentation is not great this way.

Could this be more the product of using water in the water pan thus introducing unneeded moisture vs. using no water (adding sand as an option). Seems without the added moisture, the rub would have a better chance to "set"?

I've been smoking/grilling for about 7 yrs...I think I'm pretty good.
Here's some responses to what I've seen posted so far.

• I use a Weber WSM 18.5"...I'd like more room but can't justify the costs of upgrading to the 22".
  • Invest in the BBQ guru eyelets for Temp probe if you have a Maverick. I use it when doing multiple pork shoulders -
LINK
[*]Use the Piedmont pan method in lieu of water. Cleanup is a breeze and I hold my temps just fine. - LINK
[*]For Spare Ribs, I use the 3-2-1 method. 3 Hrs on the smoker @ 225 - Then Wrap them in Foil for 2 Hrs - then back on smoker for an hour un-foiled to tighten back up
[*]I cook pork shoulders in a foil pan at a higher temp (325-350). I see no difference in quality, it's done quicker, still get plenty of smoke and cleanup is much easier
[*]For long smokes, Use THIS method to start your coals slowly. Makes it easier to manage the heat during the 1st hour. - LINK
[*]If you haven't noticed, I use the Virtual Weber Bullet site quite a bit. Friendly people always eager to help - LINK

As an aside...WSM Smoke Day is May 25th. - LINK

A perfect excuse to fire up your smoker and make you/your family happy with BBQ!

I've been smoking/grilling for about 7 yrs...I think I'm pretty good.

Here's some responses to what I've seen posted so far.

[*]I use a Weber WSM 18.5"...I'd like more room but can't justify the costs of upgrading to the 22".

[*]Invest in the BBQ guru eyelets for Temp probe if you have a Maverick. I use it when doing multiple pork shoulders - LINK

[*]Use the Piedmont pan method in lieu of water. Cleanup is a breeze and I hold my temps just fine. - LINK

[*]For Spare Ribs, I use the 3-2-1 method. 3 Hrs on the smoker @ 225 - Then Wrap them in Foil for 2 Hrs - then back on smoker for an hour un-foiled to tighten back up

[*]I cook pork shoulders in a foil pan at a higher temp (325-350). I see no difference in quality, it's done quicker, still get plenty of smoke and cleanup is much easier

[*]For long smokes, Use THIS method to start your coals slowly. Makes it easier to manage the heat during the 1st hour. - LINK

[*]If you haven't noticed, I use the Virtual Weber Bullet site quite a bit. Friendly people always eager to help - LINK

As an aside...WSM Smoke Day is May 25th. - LINK

A perfect excuse to fire up your smoker and make you/your family happy with BBQ!
I went with the 18.5. I also couldnt justify the extra $100 and I was shocked at how much bigger the 22.5 was compared to the 18.5...its like 2x the size!

After a lot of research that's what I decided to go with and ordered them on Monday. They're on PA too so I should have them today or tomorrow!

southeastjerome said:
Where is this recipe?
Recipe.

I never "low and slow" poultry. There's not enough fat in the meat so the longer you keep it on the more you're cooking out the juices from it. Any turkey or chicken I do is usually 315+

southeastjerome said:
Where is this recipe?
Recipe.

I never "low and slow" poultry. There's not enough fat in the meat so the longer you keep it on the more you're cooking out the juices from it. Any turkey or chicken I do is usually 315+
That's why god created brinning :tebow: , to allow us to cook poultry low and slow and still get very moist birds

southeastjerome said:
Where is this recipe?
Recipe.

That's why god created brinning :tebow: , to allow us to cook poultry low and slow and still get very moist birds
I agree 100% with brining...but the point of "Low and Slow" is to give tough meats ample time to break down connective tissue. Chicken, not so much.

That's my opinion. If it works for you, nothing else matters.

Do you alway foil and if not, have you in the past and did you notice a differeance? I see a lot of individuals swear by not foiling of the smoking forums I visit, while other would not consider not foiling. I'm in the foiling camp, only because it's the only way I've ever done it. That said, I've never been real happy with the lack of bark because of foiling.

Typically when I foil, at ~165 deg. the rub is still wet and burnt ends are not 'burnt". Then wrapping in foil makes the situation even worse, the rub compound turns more mushy. the flavor is still there, but presentation is not great this way.

Could this be more the product of using water in the water pan thus introducing unneeded moisture vs. using no water (adding sand as an option). Seems without the added moisture, the rub would have a better chance to "set"?
:kicksrock:

I always foil Brisket. Obviously this will make the outside "wet"...

Once you've foiled sufficiently, open it up.... and pump the temp to firm things up.

Keep an eye on it, but that will work.

I don't believe water in the pan is the culprit.

southeastjerome said:
Where is this recipe?
Recipe.

I agree 100% with brining...but the point of "Low and Slow" is to give tough meats ample time to break down connective tissue. Chicken, not so much.

That's my opinion. If it works for you, nothing else matters.
That is one of the many reasons for low and slow, other reasons, which apply to both fatty and lean meats are to; impart a good smokey flaovr and meats will continue to take on this flaover for a full 3 to 4 hours, to get that deep rich mohagany color for prestation, obtain that nice smoke ring and to allow your barks to set if you so choose to apply one.

If a heavey bark is what you want then you need to use a slather when prepping your brisket be it straight yellow mustard or any of a thousand combinations using mustards.

Also for burnt ends you can always cube some of them after you pull of the brisket and hit them heavey with some sort of sugar and re-intrduce them to the heat for a bit and let the sugars carmolize.

How did things go in Jville?
JVille was epic. Flew in, hit the hospitality suite for some wine on the top floor overlooking the water. Went to dinner, gorged on some great oysters and mediocre jerk mahi. Next day was meetings on the Char-Broil product line, media training with the dietician from Alton Brown's show and then practicing doing live shots. After that, more seafood including this awesome whole, scored and fried fish. The next day was supposed to be deep sea fishing, but the waves were too big. Instead we went for a tour of the HGTV Smart home (Char-Broil is a sponsor of the home), then to a seafood market right on the water with six trawlers right behind it. After that, went to the spa for a massage.

Then we did a chopped competition with what we bought at the seafood market and some stuff from the hotel. The ingredients were a filet of mahi, some squid, prawns and then some collard greens, a blood orange and chocolate. We were given 30 minutes to use all the ingredients, and then five minutes in, they took off 8 minutes. We lost. We came up about 4 minutes short of having ours done. Ah well. I was part of the winning team last year.

Then they brought in some grouper that was swimming a few hours before and all of grilled it a different way.

IT was a hella good time.

I always foil Brisket. Obviously this will make the outside "wet"...

Once you've foiled sufficiently, open it up.... and pump the temp to firm things up.

Keep an eye on it, but that will work.

I don't believe water in the pan is the culprit.
What I do, is I slather my brisket in mustard for like 3-4 days. Then I wipe some of the mustard off, but leave a nice thin coating and slather with a rub. I place on the grill, in an aluminum pan fat side down and smoke. I wait about 60-90 minutes for the rub to adhere to the outside of the brisket and then I hit it with a vinegar based mop. I just drizzle it over, not slather it on or the rub will wash off at this time. After another hour, it will be fine, but at the beginning it can wash off. I mop every 30 minutes.

After 3-4 hours in the smoke at about 300 degrees, I hit it with a heavy drenching of mop to fill the bottom with some extra liquid along with the fat rendered out. Then I foil and take it to about 200.

It's not mushy on the outside as the mustard has completely rendered to nothing in those 3-4 hours.

I remove it from the foil pan, wrap tight in foil, and then in towels and put in a cooler or unlit oven or microwave for an hour and then slice against the grain.

As for the question about seeing the grain after it is grilled, I can generally see the grain by bending the brisket.

southeastjerome said:
Where is this recipe?
Recipe.

I have a Chargriller . For low and slow, I build the fire in the side box. When I want high heat, I move my charcoal basket into the cooking chamber and use a foil pan as a baffle between the food on one side and fire on the other. Works alright.
I had that grill from 2006 until Sunday when I gave it to my neighbor. About half my website was done on one of those. I made some damn good Q on it, but that thing sure was finicky. I had to practically stand over it and will it to stay the same temp for more than an hour.

Now I roll with the Akorn and a Char-Broil TRU Infrared. And the more kids we have the more I lean to the latter...

Question:

For a gas grill is a Weber worht the premium you pay vs say a CharBroil?
I have only ever owned a Vermont Castings and my current Weber Genesis. However, I can't imagine cooking on anything else and think it's worth every penny.

You can turn out decent food on just about anything if you use the right ingredients/methods. The craftsmanship and consistency of the Weber is what you pay for.

Please do yourself a huge favor...if you are looking to buy a gas grill:

Check your local Craigslist. Weber grills are built to last and people sell them all the time. Mine is 12 yrs old and cooks perfectly.

I see Silver B's on there frequently (a few x a month) for between $50 - $75.

Occasionally I'll see Silver C's (side burner) too.

You spend 2 hrs cleaning it up, invest another $50-$100 on replacement burner/starter/grates (which are simple to install) from the website and you have (practically) a brand new Weber for $150-ish.

I set up an alert with Craigsnotifica (Android App) and see deals out the wazoo.

Last year I got a Crate and Barrel Performer in perfect condition for $25.

Or if you're impatient and want to drop $650 at Home Depot, be my guest.

Question:

I have only ever owned a Vermont Castings and my current Weber Genesis. However, I can't imagine cooking on anything else and think it's worth every penny.

You can turn out decent food on just about anything if you use the right ingredients/methods. The craftsmanship and consistency of the Weber is what you pay for.
My Weber Genesis is ~ 16 year old and still kicking. The original igniter worked up till ~18 months ago till the piece of metal it sparked to rusted off. Back then, it was $349, now I believe it's ~$650 for the same grill. I still use it on occasion those quick cooks in the winter but bought a Performer as my daily grill.

As said, you pay for quality but hard to argue with 16 years of service with 1 total rebuild and 2 other sets of flavor bars.

Question:

Char-Broil is at the forefront of Infrared technology. Infrared grills were patented by one company and one burner went for more than a grand until that patent ran out. Now you can get one for $400 from Char-Broil or if you want to go with higher grade steel, go with a Saber. Both have the infrared technology. Char-Broil hired an independent company to compare infrared against traditional gas grills. Infrared grills, using radiant heat rather than convection (hot drying air), it was shown that meat cooked on an infrared grill was 30-50% juicier.

Two other great aspects of the infrared grills is that there are little to no flare ups. It also uses a lot less fuel. Like 30% less than traditional gas grills.

I came home from the bar last night and decided it was a good idea to light the smoker off (lucky to not burn the house down). Lit the charcoal @1:30am closed everything up went to bed, giving the smoker time to get up to temperature. Woke up at 4:30 to find the smoker chugging along at 235, perfect.

I had a butt rubbed down and ready to go, currently sitting at 165, wrapped and looking great. Now what I need is a finishing sauce.

Can someone post up your go to sauce for pulled pork? I do the typical cider vinegar, ketchup and red pepper flake with good results but looking for something different or a variation of this....

TIA

I came home from the bar last night and decided it was a good idea to light the smoker off (lucky to not burn the house down). Lit the charcoal @1:30am closed everything up went to bed, giving the smoker time to get up to temperature. Woke up at 4:30 to find the smoker chugging along at 235, perfect.

I had a butt rubbed down and ready to go, currently sitting at 165, wrapped and looking great. Now what I need is a finishing sauce.

Can someone post up your go to sauce for pulled pork? I do the typical cider vinegar, ketchup and red pepper flake with good results but looking for something different or a variation of this....

TIA
What I use...

TIA
What I use...
Are you sure you didn't mean to link this??

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1359

This is my go to for Pulled Pork

Users who are viewing this thread