What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

* OFFICIAL * 2012 Training Camp / Preseason News & Tidbits Thread (3 Viewers)

Matt Hasselbeck, Jake Locker clash to start for Titans

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

Training camp is finally here. They allow tackling there and everything. Around the League will count down the top 30 position battles to watch throughout the preseason.

No. 2. Tennessee Titans QB: Matt Hasselbeck vs. Jake Locker

• It really doesn't get much better than this for August. (Except for when Joe Montana had to hold off Steve Young. But you know what we mean.) Hasselbeck is a trusty veteran coming off a very good season. Locker is a wildly gifted second-year pro that showed flashes of brilliance. This team has enough talent to compete for the playoffs. This battle matters.

• Hasselbeck is expected to take the first snap of training camp. As the incumbent, he should be viewed as the favorite. But coach Mike Munchak has stressed that Locker and Hasselbeck are on even footing. They are splitting snaps right down the middle.

• Locker gave the Titans a spark last year when he entered games. Combining the preseason and regular season, he threw for six touchdowns with only one interecption. He averaged more seven yards per rushing attempt. But he's a much better quarterback outside the pocket and on the move. It's hard for Locker to get "pocket presence" practice without live games. At some point, the Titans will have to take their lumps with him.

• Bucky Brooks had a very cool X's and O's look at this battle. That's all. Check it out.

• There is enough talent in Tennessee for either quarterback to succeed. Even with Kenny Britt hurt and/or suspended, the team has two starting quality tackles, Chris Johnson, Kendall Wright, Jared Cook, Nate Washington, and solid receiver depth. This team has the right pieces to contend.

•Fantasy owners looking to draft Locker should be concerned that Munchak cited the team's tough early schedule as a factor in the team's decision. He also hopes to name a starter by the team's third preseason game. The Titans might throw Hasselbeck to the wolves early. If he can't beat quality competition, Locker could replace him early in the year. It's easier to bench Hasselbeck. Once the Titans go to Locker, they shouldn't turn back.

Projected winner: Hasselbeck will be the Week 1 starter. Locker will take over before the season's halfway point.

Matt Flynn, Tarvaris Jackson in Seahawks' QB race

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

Training camp is finally here. They allow tackling there and everything. Around the League will count down the top 30 position battles to watch throughout the preseason.

No. 1. Seattle Seahawks QB: Matt Flynn vs. Tarvaris Jackson vs. Russell Wilson

• There's so many reasons to love this battle. The winner will lead a team we think might just steal the NFC West. It has a hotshot rookie involved (Wilson), a big-money free agent signing trying to prove he can be a starter (Flynn) and the guy no one seems to love despite solid performances the last two years (Jackson). The whole thing has the makings of a reality show.

• Pete Carroll insists the money the Seahawks are paying Matt Flynn doesn't matter. So far, the 60-year-old coach has lived up to that claim. Tarvaris Jackson, who is popular with his teammates, will take the first snap of training camp. We thought Flynn showed enough in game action to believe he can be a league-average starter at worst. This should not be Kevin Kolb 2.0. But he's not a guy that will wow you with a big arm at practice.

• Jackson is fighting for his career. If he doesn't start in Week 1, he might just find himself looking for a job. That's life in the NFL.

• Russell Wilson is the wild card. Despite his small stature, he might possess the best pure skill set of the group. He's got a big arm, smarts and mobility. Carroll isn't afraid to view players differently than the rest of the league. We believe Carroll's hype when he says Wilson can be a future star in the NFL. Asking a third-round quarterback to start right away, however, is almost unprecedented.

• Carroll says that preseason results will swing this race. There isn't a team we will be watching closer in August. The wide receiver crew has plenty of questions and Marshawn Lynch could possibly be suspended. This is not a group that a rookie quarterback should be leading.

This is our last battle; thanks for reading. We'll be updating the progress of the entire top 30 throughout August on Around the League.

Projected winner: All three players have a legitimate chance. Ultimately, we'll go with the logical favorite. This should be Matt Flynn's team.

Hey gents I'm a bit tight on time but I'll try to contribute later. Just wanted to let you guys know a nice way of finding info for those who have the time to contribute for now.Basically Googling "Training Camp Notes" or "Training Camp Observations," clicking NEWS and filtering by last 24 hours. Playing with the keywords will find you a ridicilous amount of information on a daily basis. It'd be nice if we can get a chunk of it collected and quoted in this thread. Nice job as always, Faust, and everyone else who contributes.
:goodposting: :thumbup:

Steelers camp is anything but quiet

By John Clayton | ESPN.com

LATROBE, Pa. -- No training camp opened with the explosions that the Pittsburgh Steelers' did, and it had nothing to do with the storms that circled Latrobe, Pa.

The first lightning bolt came in the morning, when it leaked that Jimmy Haslam, a minority owner, was negotiating to buy Randy Lerner's majority shares of the Cleveland Browns. A Steelers owner buying the Browns? Tweeted one loyal Twitter follower, "haven't the Steelers owned the Browns for years?"

Later that day, Browns president Mike Holmgren confirmed the negotiations and higher-ups in the Steelers organization said the transaction was well along and should happen, pending NFL owners' approval.

In the second bombshell, Antonio Brown potentially aced out Mike Wallace for the franchise's long-term wide receiver deal. Wallace, an unsigned restricted free agent, had turned down the Steelers' $9 million-a-year offer.

Like most teams staring at a tight salary cap for the next several years, the Steelers faced a predicament keeping good young players. Wallace could be an unrestricted free agent next year. Brown and talented receiver Emmanuel Sanders are restricted free agents next year and potential free agents in 2014.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus slipped into town Friday and worked a five-year, $42.5 million deal for Brown. Brown's new $2.24 million cap number doesn't kill Wallace's bid for a long-term deal, but it might make it hard for the Steelers to keep him. By lingering on the Steelers' offer and then holding out, Wallace jeopardized his long-term future in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers are now more than $16 million over next year's cap, which might make it hard to franchise Wallace. Mike Tomlin wants to keep both receivers, but at least the Steelers secured Brown.

Here are five observations from training camp:

1. Wait and see: The Ben Roethlisberger-Todd Haley relationship ought to work, but no one will really know until the regular season begins. Both have their philosophies for offensive success. Roethlisberger is one of the league's five best quarterbacks and loves to control games through the air. Haley likes a good passing game, but his days with Bill Parcells taught him the value of running the ball. Working with Kurt Warner in Arizona taught Haley to trust the quarterback's throwing intuitions. Roethlisberger's incredible throwing display in the offseason and on the first day of camp has reminded Haley that he doesn't need to call a Jeff Hostetler game plan. Meanwhile, the Steelers' quarterbacks understand the wait-and-see approach. Roethlisberger and backups Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich have 34 years of combined NFL experience. Theoretically, under Haley's scheme, we'll see a little more running, more throws to the tight end and more short passes to set up the play-action.

2. An opening at RB: Running back Rashard Mendenhall is expected to be on the physically unable to perform list until at least October recovering from his knee reconstruction. Although he is running well straight ahead, he's not ready to make the cuts needed to be an every-down runner. Haley will take a running-back-by-committee approach into the season, and Isaac Redman will be the chairman. Just because Redman was undrafted doesn't mean he's not good. As many as seven or eight undrafted running backs could start in the NFL this season. Redman is that big "north-to-south'" runner who can pound the ball on early downs and if the Steelers have the lead in the fourth quarter. Redman came to camp light. "I want to be 'all-the-way Redman' this year instead of 'red zone Redman,' so I'm trying to get into the 230-pound range,'' Redman said. Jonathan Dwyer is working behind him but doesn't seem to have the quickness needed. Baron Batch is a low draft choice who could beat Dwyer for backup duty. Keep an eye on Chris Rainey, a 5-foot-8, 178-pound scatback with incredible speed. He could be an exceptional threat on screen passes and throws into the flat.

3. How will the tight ends be used? Parcells always had a tight end heavily involved in his offenses. Haley will keep that in mind as he looks at the skill sets of the Steelers. Heath Miller has had only one season in which he caught more than 51 passes, but don't be surprised if he catches 70 this season. It's a shame that Weslye Saunders will be suspended the first four games of the season. Saunders adds a Jermichael Finley look when the Steelers line up in two-TE sets. He's massive and can run. He can be flexed out like a slot receiver and be a matchup nightmare. Haley also recruited 6-8 tight end Leonard Pope from Kansas City, and he could be a factor as a backup.

4. A shored-up line: For years, Roethlisberger operated behind an offensive line scrambling to keep starters. Right guard David DeCastro and left tackle Mike Adams now form the foundation of what should be one of the NFL's best blocking units by 2014. But how quickly they will be incorporated this year? At the moment, DeCastro and Adams are working with the second team, a signal that rookies have to earn starting jobs. DeCastro should excel on running downs and learn how to be a good pass-blocker. Adams looks natural when he's going one-on-one against a pass-rusher. But a rookie tackle can be counted on to give up eight to 10 sacks. For example, look at the 49ers when they drafted Mike Iupati at guard and Anthony Davis at right tackle. The 49ers gave up 44 sacks that year. Roethlisberger has been sacked an average of 43.5 times a season the past six seasons. Willie Colon should do well at left guard if he stays healthy. Maurkice Pouncey is already one of the best centers in football. The Steelers just have to make sure DeCastro and Adams are ready. They have Trai Essex at left tackle until Adam is ready.

5. Depth at cornerback: Free agency wiped out two-thirds of their starting cornerback crew. Gone are Bryant McFadden and William Gay. Injuries caught up to McFadden last year, robbing him of speed and playing time. Gay left the Steelers to join the Cardinals, but his struggles in coverage had been exposed the past few years. That leaves 32-year-old Ike Taylor and 2009 draftee Keenan Lewis. Lewis could head into the season as the starter, but that might not last. Cortez Allen, 6-1 and long-armed, looks good in press man coverage and at worst is the team's third corner. The scouting department also feels good about Curtis Brown, a fourth-round pick from last year. For the first time in years, the Steelers look four deep at corner, but the question is whether the young corners can step up against top offenses.

Saturday Giants training camp thoughts

By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

ALBANY, N.Y. -- At one point Saturday afternoon at New York Giants training camp, second-year wide receiver Jerrel Jernigan was running with the first-team offense. He got behind cornerback Corey Webster, but not by much, and quarterback Eli Manning hit him with an absolutely pinpoint deep pass in a spot where only Jernigan could catch it and Webster had no chance to make a play. It looked like Manning's long fourth-quarter pass to Mario Manningham in the Super Bowl, except on the opposite side of the field and without the toe-tapping sideline element by the receiver.

The realization this sparked in me is that, as guys like Jernigan, Domenik Hixon and Rueben Randle fight it out to be Manningham's replacement as the Giants' No. 3 wide receiver, whoever's working with Manning on a given day should look a lot better than whoever's getting their reps with David Carr or Ryan Perriloux at quarterback. Nothing against those two guys, but Manning's one of the baddest dudes in the league. He makes throws others can't make. He makes his receivers look good.

Perhaps for that reason, the Giants are rotating which receivers get the first-team reps. With Hakeem Nicks out for a few more weeks with a foot injury, Hixon and Jernigan got most of the first-team reps opposite Victor Cruz on Saturday. And there were plays on which both Hixon and Jernigan were in the game with Manning. I don't recall seeing Randle with the first team, but it's possible he got some action there, too. And if they're going to give everybody the same chance, I think he ought to going forward.

Some other things I saw/thought/learned on the second day of Giants training camp:

[*]Rookie running back David Wilson should sleep well Saturday night. With Da'Rel Scott sitting out practice, Wilson got the bulk of the reps with the second-team and the third-team offense, and they used him a lot. They handed off to him. They threw the ball to him out of the backfield. He ran and ran and ran. And yeah, he looks fast, but remember -- there's no hitting yet, so every running back is getting through the line and bursting upfield looking good. We'll see what happens once the pads go on, but it's obvious they want to get Wilson up to speed quickly.

[*]Wide receiver Ramses Barden is also in that No. 3 wide receiver mix, and he looked good in practice. They used him on a couple of underneath routes, which is a smart way to use him, since his size is his advantage and he can use it to shield the ball from defenders in traffic. Remember, Barden usually has been hurt and not even on the field this time of year, so he's ahead of where he normally is in training camp.

[*]With Chris Canty out, Shaun Rogers is getting a lot of first-team reps at defensive tackle. This is what defensive end Justin Tuck told me about Rogers today: "He seems to be as focused and hungry for a ring as I've seen anybody. He's in his 12th year, and he's told me personally, 'That's why I came here, because I want to taste what that feels like.' So hopefully his mind stays the way it is, because that guy's an absolute monster to handle. I'm already thinking about packages that will put him over that nose, and if you single him up, he's going to destroy your center, and if you double him, you've got me, Osi and JPP possibly singled up. So there's a lot of matchup problems we can create." Now, I don't know if Rogers, who doesn't have the greatest reputation, will make the team, but with Canty out he has an opportunity and he's impressing some people so far.

[*]Jason Pierre-Paul went down with some kind of leg injury at one point and limped off the field but only missed a couple of plays. Could have just been a cramp.

[*]Cornerback Terrell Thomas, who missed the 2011 season after tearing his ACL, had 2,400 "T2" T-shirts made up and distributed them to fans at practice. "Because they always kept me a part of it last year, regardless of a win or a loss," Thomas said of his fans. "You kind of get lost in the shuffle when you get hurt, and some fans were just there week in and week out supporting me. My mom always taught me to be thankful and to give back, so this is just a small gesture." Nice one, though.

[*]I am heading home now to spend a night there before heading out again Sunday night for Virginia. I will be at Redskins camp Monday and Tuesday, then at Eagles camp Wednesday and Thursday. I'm going to Oxnard for Cowboys camp Aug. 6-7. Didn't run into any of you up here, and I'm sorry about that. But if you see me at any of those other stops, please feel free to say hi.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/07/giants_victor_cruz_puts_on_a_s.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_term=%23nyg

Click the link for the main stuff (I like to allow people to click the links just for page hit value) but tried to paste the main intriguing stuff.

By Mike Garafolo

And in what’s surely a frustrating development for a guy who came out of the gate very strongly, DE Justin Trattou suffered an ankle injury midway through what was shaping up to be another impressive practice for him. Trattou went down and needed help getting off to the side. He was taken for X-rays. We’ll keep you posted on his status.

A couple of hiccups for TE Bear Pascoe early on, including a drop during individuals and a missed block on DE Justin Tuck to close a gaping hole on a counter play to his side. But Pascoe did a good job of disguising his release on a bootleg pass and that pleased offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride.

Nice, smooth grab by WR Isaiah Stanback on a high throw by QB Ryan Perrilloux near the sideline. Stanback got his feet down in bounds, too. I view Stanback as more of a special teamer but he has some receiving ability as well.

DE/LB Adrian Tracy was working with the starters when Trattou left with his ankle injury. Tracy was showing some really good pass-rush moves last summer. We need to see it more consistently, so I’ll be watching him closely.

I kept looking up and seeing No. 79 sealing the edge on runs with very good technique. That would be undrafted rookie OG Stephen Goodin from Nebraska-Kearny. Way too early to make a snap judgment on anybody, especially a lineman in less than full pads, but he kept showing up today. I’ll keep an eye on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibilities for Baldwin, Seahawks WRs

By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

Naming the starting wide receivers for the Arizona Cardinals, St. Louis Rams and Seattle Seahawks requires more than familiarity with the NFC West.

It also requires time.

Four starting jobs appear legitimately unsettled as training camps get going. Teams won't have answers for weeks in most cases. This assumes the Michael Crabtree and Randy Moss will be the San Francisco 49ers' starters. Rookie Michael Floyd figures to start for Arizona, but first he'll have to win earn the job. And the Rams have two starting spots open.

In Seattle, where Sidney Rice stands as the only established starter when healthy, the depth chart carries a few possibilities. The team opened training camp Saturday with quite a few questions -- "options" would be a more optimistic word -- at the position.

Doug Baldwin, who led NFC West receivers and tight ends in third-down conversion rate as a rookie last season, excelled from the slot in particular. He's a candidate to start on the outside this season. Golden Tate, back at practice Saturday when camp opened after resting a hand injury in minicamps, could also factor. Ricardo Lockette is one to watch. He has good size (6-foot-2, 211 pounds) and blazing speed.

The incumbent starter, Mike Williams, struggled with injuries last season before his release earlier this month.

Rice practiced Saturday wearing a red jersey making him off-limits to contact from teammates, a precaution as Rice returns from surgery on both shoulders.

The hyper-competitive Baldwin wants to push for a starting job without campaigning for one. He made 42 of his team-high 51 receptions last season from the slot. The team targeted him 14 times from elsewhere on the field, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

"I was able to have some success as a slot receiver, but ultimately I feel capable of doing so much more," Baldwin said during a phone interview Saturday. "I'm not bound to the slot position. But at the same time, I don’t want to step on anybody’s toes. I don’t want to be that guy. I'm not a selfish player. Wherever coaches want me, I'll play."

Baldwin and quarterback Matt Flynn practiced together between June minicamps and training camp. The two had an early connection when Baldwin agreed to give up his No. 15 jersey for Flynn upon the quarterback's signing in free agency.

Baldwin is wearing No. 89. Will he stand No. 2 among Seattle wideouts?

"We just finished our first practice at camp," Baldwin said. "Let that play out. Like coach says, the cream rises to the crop. Gotta make plays."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-training-camp-observations-from-day-3/2012/07/28/gJQAUFkmGX_blog.html?wprss=rss_football-insider

By Mike Jones

After being relegated primarily to special teams last year, Brandon Banks has gotten more opportunities on offense, lining up both in the slot on the outside. Banks looked good, going over the middle. He has used his speed to beat jams off the line and get past DBs to create separation. Banks also went up and made a catch in traffic, bounced off of a hit by Lorenzo Alexander, and raced downfield.

Rookie inside linebacker Keenan Robinson is battling for a spot behind London Fletcher, Perry Riley and Lorenzo Alexander. Robinson had an interception in the middle of the field off of a pass from fellow fourth-rounder Kirk Cousins. On the very next play, Cousins threw a pick to his left to rookie corner Richard Crawford.

The quarterback keepers by Robert Griffin III will make things easy for the running backs. On one set of plays, after a draw from Griffin, the defense keyed on him so hard on the next play that they totally missed the handoff to Roy Helu, who split up the middle and was off to the races.

Cowboys looking for wide receivers

Posted July 23, 2012 @ 1:13 p.m. ET

By PFW staff

Here are some Whispers we've been hearing from our sources around the NFL:

• The Cowboys are said to be keeping their eyes open for receivers. The Dez Bryant incident had no effect on this; the team had planned to look for WR help before he was arrested. With the injury to Danny Coale — the fifth-round rookie suffered a stress fracture in his left foot in late May that required surgery — and no clear front-runner for the third WR position, it’s possible that the team will add help from the waiver wire at some point during the preseason or after. Remember, Laurent Robinson and his 11 TDs were added last season prior to Week Two. If the right vested veteran comes along, the Cowboys could make a similar move early this season.

• The Vikings have no need to rush RB Adrian Peterson back from injury, and if he has to miss a few games they feel good about Toby Gerhart entering the lineup. The fact that the offensive line could be improved in as many as three spots also gives the team comfort that there is absolutely no need to push Peterson to return faster than he needs to be.

• One NFL observer expects far better results from Chiefs WR Jon Baldwin in Year Two. “The immaturity was a problem in college, and I figured it would hurt him as a rookie,” the observer said. “But that freakish ability is going to be a factor at some point soon, you’d have to think. He’s something of a rare specimen.”

• Questions about Amini Silatolu's intelligence hurt his draft stock earlier this year. The Panthers knew he would be raw and anticipated him having some mental lapses when they selected him in the second round. While he had some problems digesting Carolina’s playbook this offseason, we hear the Panthers are still set to make him their starting left guard. The club was very pleased with the physical ability and temperament he showed in OTAs and minicamp.

• After moving Jeremy Zuttah between guard and center during his first four seasons in the league, the Buccaneers will keep Zuttah at center in 2012. With Pro Bowl guards in Carl Nicks and Davin Joseph playing on either side of him, we hear the Bucs believe Zuttah, whom they rewarded with a new four-year contract this offseason, is ready to have his best season. In fact, word is the Bucs believe he could be their answer at the position far beyond the end of that contract.

• Look for Ivan Golde, the attorney for Seattle RB Marshawn Lynch, to make every effort to try and postpone Lynch’s mid-August arraignment on the DUI charge recently filed by the Alameda County district attorney’s office. It’s being widely assumed that Lynch’s best chances of avoiding a league-mandated suspension in the foreseeable future hinge on his legal team’s ability to drag his case through the judicial system as long as possible, thereby delaying the influence a verdict in the case would have on any judgments by commissioner Roger Goodell.

• Don’t be surprised if the Packers’ additions of second-round rookie Jerel Worthy and veteran free agents Anthony Hargrove and Phillip Merling create a scenario in which holdover DEs Jarius Wynn and C.J. Wilson are pitted directly against one another for a spot on the final roster.

• Acknowledging that he could have a very difficult time making the 49ers’ final roster, we hear RB Anthony Dixon is determined to make it very difficult for the team to cut him. Daily team observers tell us the third-year running back, who has been plagued by weight issues, is in the best shape of his life.

• The Chargers released DE Luis Castillo last week, the second time they had let him go since February. The veteran suffered a season-ending leg injury in Week One last year and the Chargers are going young up front, with Corey Liuget (2011 first-ronder) and Kendall Reyes (2012 second-rounder). We heard adding depth was a priority for the Chargers this offseason, after a lack of depth let them down in 2011. That has been seen by several free-agent acquisitions, including ex-Saints NT Aubrayo Franklin, one of the top free agents available. Franklin likely will be Antonio Garay's No. 2, but GM A.J. Smith told reporters that Garay's versatility should allow him to "be a floater" on the D-line.

• One of the Patriots' rookies who reportedly failed a physical last week was undrafted OT Markus Zusevics, who comes from an Iowa program that Bill Belichick is familiar with through his relationship with Kirk Ferentz. "If healthy," Zusevics could battle for a roster spot, as depth is a question mark at tackle behind Nate Solder and Sebastian Vollmer. Vollmer was hurt often last season, and backups Marcus Cannon, Kyle Hix and Matt Kopa have very little experience. According to PFW's scouting report on Zusevics, he is an "underpowered and self-made overachiever who has to prove he can anchor vs. NFL strength."

• Rookie TE Orson Charles has received positive reviews for his initial play with the Bengals, with one insider saying the Georgia product has had a “great offseason.” Charles was PFW’s No.2-ranked TE prospect, but he had some struggles during predraft workouts, and he was arrested for DUI in March. The Bengals, who have had quite a bit of success with Georgia players in recent years, took Charles in Round Four.

• News of Lions DT Corey Williams’ June 18, 2011 DWI arrest broke last week after a court hearing in Drew County, Arkansas. Yukiko Shepherd, the chief court clerk of Drew County, said July 20 that the “charge for the time being has been ‘taken under advisement,” meaning that “no decision has been made.” Williams’ attorney, Rickey H. Hicks, filed a motion to suppress evidence in the case, alleging that Williams was a “victim of racial profiling” and a “victim of an illegal search and seizure.”

Vikings camp report: Peterson's ACL recovery (and Ponder's improvement) key to season

By Mike Freeman | National NFL Insider

MANKATO, Minn. -- Adrian Peterson wanted to practice. He wanted to go. Since coach Leslie Frazier isn't an idiot, he held back one of the NFL's most powerful engines, knowing that patience was key.

"It's funny," said Frazier, "I was just talking to Adrian about that very topic a minute ago. He's dying to go. But we want to be smart about how we break him in. There's no need to rush him.

"I told him just now, 'Let's continue to be careful.' But there's no question we're going to have to fight to keep him off the field until he's ready."

This Vikings camp is all about one guy: Peterson. Peterson, Peterson, Peterson. And did I mention Peterson? The question: What will we see from Peterson when he returns from the physically unable to perform list? The answer: No one really knows. In speaking to several teammates, they don't know, either.

Peterson is in tremendous physical shape. There's been no weight gain since he shredded his ACL last season. It's been the opposite. He looks fantastic. He looks downright skinny, actually. But running backs and torn ACLs go together like Chinese athletes entering the Olympic opening ceremony to a Pet Shop Boys tune. Running back coming off an ACL tear? Not good. Peterson, whose main game is generating torque and power off quick bursts, coming off a tear? Even worse.

The common belief around football (and I believe in the Vikings locker room) is that we won't see the old Peterson, at the earliest, until middle of the season. Until then, he might look half a step slow.

"Just don't count him out for having a big year this year," said Frazier, "but we're still going to be smart about it."

Team objectives

• Get running Toby Gerhart ready. It's going to be an interesting situation early in the season. If you think Peterson is complaining now about being held back, wait until the season starts and the staff is cutting his carries in half, giving them to Gerhart. That's likely to happen, and it's smart. The staff knows the reality which is you break a major piece of weaponry like Peterson in extremely slowly and carefully, thus Gerhart likely will share a bunch of snaps with Peterson early.

• Develop Everson Griffen into a linebacker. At defensive end last year, Griffen's weight increased to 276 pounds. The Vikings like those players to be in the 260- to 265-pound range. Griffen reported this time at 258. Not bad. Frazier wants him to play linebacker. Griffen is an underrated athlete capable of playing many positions but if he can settle at linebacker he could help transform this defense.

• Be a sleeper. This sounds crazy but I think the Vikings are one of the great sleeper picks in the league. I'm not alone.

"We definitely are," quarterback Christian Ponder said. "You can hear it already, everyone counting us out. We've got some weapons and I promise you I'm going to be better. I can pretty much guarantee we're going to be a factor this year."

Frazier added: "What I told my guys was just because a writer or someone says you're going to finish last doesn't mean you will. We're definitely sleepers. Stranger things have happened in this league."

Camp battles

Right guard: Brandon Fusco and Geoff Schwartz. "Well, we'll put Chris [DeGeare] here in the mix as well, we'll give him a chance. We'll let those guys battle it out and hopefully we'll be a better team with whichever one ends up winning the job."

Kicker Blair Walsh vs. himself: I've seen this before. One kicker in camp with no competition, and the kicker gets either soft or -- in some cases -- gets totally overworked and is burned out once the season starts. The Vikings are cognizant of both possibilities and working to make sure a young kicker like Walsh doesn't get cocky or burned out. They're putting him in pressure situations while also monitoring the number of times he kicks. It's almost like a training camp pitch count.

Somebody to watch

WR Percy Harvin. So far, no drama. He reported to camp and said all the right things. Harvin is the key to the wide receiver group but if some of the younger Vikings talent develops, forcing defenses away from constant Harvin double-teams, he could have a monster season.

Injury roundup

• CB Josh Robinson is day to day because of a hamstring injury.

• TE Mickey Shuler is dealing with a heel injury. X-rays and MRI scans show no serious damage.

• WR Stephen Burton has a toe injury but isn't expected to be a long-term absence.

The last word

"I need to cut back on the turnovers," Ponder says, smiling while stating the obvious. "I'll do that."

He will. I think Ponder, who is smart, coachable and talented, plus was able to enjoy a full offseason, is going to improve dramatically. Even if Peterson is sluggish early, a maturing Ponder has enough weapons to do damage until Peterson gets back.

Giants day 2 camp reports

Garafolo

Vacchiano- Daily News

Schwartz- NY Post

ESPN NY

Traina - Inside Football

BBI

Cruz has a second day showing that he's consistently "lucky and fluky", perhaps his naysayers will come around and see they guy is a playmaker.

Jernigan has another great day and is making a strong push for the #3 spot. He's competing with Randle and Hixon.

Wilson showing he can catch and shiftiness in runs. But he also dropped two tosses.

Martellus Bennett not being used in the passing game much. Most of his reps he's assigned to block.

Herzlich showing sideline-to-sideline speed and has been outstanding in coverage. Has two INTs already as well.

New Orleans Saints ‏@Saints

Brees said he expects great things out of Ingram this year. Said he looks forward to see how the 2nd yr RB "takes it to the next level"

Retweeted by Mark Ingram

49ers Day 2 Camp Reports:

Barrows

Maiocco

Receiver Michael Crabtree, who sat out the final 20 minutes of practice Friday with an apparent right ankle injury, was held out of Saturday's work. His injury is not believed to be serious, but it is not known when he is expected back on the practice field. Crabtree did not take part in any portion of practice.

From the "lets put off the coronation of James Starks as a top RB just yet" this is from the JS Packers Blog, First Day in Pads (Tyler Dunne)

--- After practice, McCarthy noted that he was pleased with the offense's pass-protection pick-ups. Count running back Brandon Saine in. He does a nice job of recognizing where pressure is coming from and reacting. That'll certainly help him get on the field.
--- The Packers are going to be cautious with Alex Green's workload. The second-year back is practicing, but there's no use putting him through too much right now. Said McCarthy, "He’s in a limited mode, he’s on a rep count, so we’re watching him, but I think he’s put together three good practices."

Reese on Martellus Bennett

By Dan Graziano

Reese: Martellus Bennett is a blocking TE

ALBANY, N.Y. -- I have lots of stuff still in the notebook from my time at New York Giants training camp. Our "Camp Confidential" on the Giants should roll out at some point today, and I have more stories and notes planned on the Giants for the early part of this week, even while I'm at Eagles and Redskins camp. But a lot of people -- Giants fans as well as Dallas Cowboys fans -- are asking about tight end Martellus Bennett, the former Cowboy who signed with the Giants at the start of free agency. So I thought a post on him was in order. This is what Giants GM Jerry Reese told me Saturday afternoon when I asked him about Bennett:

"I think he's going to really help our run game, because he's a tremendous blocker. We think he could be a good receiver, but what he gives us as a receiver is going to be a bonus. We think he can really help us get our run game going, because he's the blocking tight end that we haven't had. Jake [ballard] was an okay blocker, Bear [Pascoe] has been an okay blocker. But Martellus could be a dominating blocker, and that's what we haven't had, really for a while. We haven't had a dominating guy since, like, Howard Cross."

Bennett's problem in Dallas was running his routes and holding onto the ball, but he always graded out as an excellent blocker. So it sounds as though the Giants did their homework here. And as Reese pointed out, it's not as though the Giants have been relying on their tight end as a huge part of the passing game the past few years anyway:

"We've had some young guys really do good jobs for us. Kevin Boss caught like 35, 45 balls. Then you get Jake in, he catches 35, 45 balls. Somebody else will do that. That's not a staple in our offense, the tight end. I think our offense is more receiver-oriented and back-oriented. Henry Hynoski caught a bunch of passes last year out of the backfield, our fullback. So there's different ways to skin a cat."

So now you know why the Giants signed Bennett and what they expect of him. As I said, much more to come.

Not too surprising but a good sign nonetheless...

Buccaneers News ‏@PewterReport

(RB Doug) Martin getting most reps on passing plays with first team.

Roy Cummings ‏@RCummingsTrib

WR Vincent Jackson continues to be the best player in this camp. He just beat Aqib Talib and caught a pass that he turned into a an 83-yd TD. Another Bucs WR who is having a very good camp is Tiquan Underwood. He just beat CB Myron Lewis on a go route for an 84-yd TD pass.

Postcard from camp: Saints

Peter King

SI.com has dispatched writers to report on NFL training camps across the country. Here's what Peter King had to say about Saints camp in Metairie, La., which he visited on July 27.

Where's SI.com?

At the Saints' complex in Metairie, La., where the club is doing construction to expand the practice facility and offices. I miss the recent days when the Saints used to travel to Millsaps College in Jackson, Miss., one of the great camp sites because of the cozy campus and the closeness of the fans to the team. This afternoon, because of a thunderstorm earlier that drenched the area, the Saints had to cancel the public practice and move indoors to the practice facility. No fans. But there was a huge poster of Sean Payton glaring down on the boys at practice with a "DO YOUR JOB'' warning underneath. Owner Tom Benson ordered it to be installed in time for the players to see it at practice this afternoon.

Three Observations

1. There's a definite us-against-the-world feeling in camp. I spent an hour or so with Drew Brees while he lunched in the Saints cafeteria, and he made it clear that the players, and the organization, believe strongly that they have been wronged by the NFL in the Saints bounty probe. Paraphrasing Brees (and you can read the bulk of his comment in my Monday Morning Quarterback column this week), Brees differentiates between the pay-for-performance bonus system, which many teams had in place the last few years, and the bounty system, which the NFL claims the Saints were guilty of fostering over the past three seasons. And he thinks, as do many in the Saints locker room and front office, that the league overstepped its bounds in suspending Saints players, coaches and GM Mickey Loomis a total of 77 games. Brees made his point very clear: The Saints will remember what they feel is an injustice, and it will come in handy when motivation is needed in 2012.

2. Brees might have missed the entire offseason in his contract dispute, but he looked fantastic in the 75 minutes I watched Friday. So much for offseason contract-wrangling. New Orleans media monster Bobby Hebert (he of the "Seinfeld'' George Constanza "Bobby Ay-BEAR" fame) told me Brees had an other-worldly first practice after his contract hassle on Thursday, and every time I looked up he was hitting Jimmy Graham or Lance Moore or even Nick Toon square in the hands in the afternoon workout.

3. Curtis Lofton is a better middle linebacker than Jonathan Vilma today. The Saints are thrilled with the versatility and leadership shown thus far by Lofton, who has had to walk a locker-room tightrope because the suspended Vilma is such a good locker-room presence. Lofton told me he's had to be careful to not be a dominating presence early, but he also made clear that the middle 'backer has to be the defensive captain on the field, and he hasn't shied from that. Defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo loves Lofton, by the way. He thinks Lofton is the perfect signal-caller and physical athletic presence he requires in his scheme for a middle linebacker.

Step On Up

Running back Mark Ingram. Last year, Payton got Bill Parcells on the phone and had him talk to Ingram about playing hurt. Parcells coached Ingram's dad, the incarcerated Mark Ingram, a wide receiver, with the Giants. The Saints traded a future first-round pick to acquire the younger Ingram late in round one in 2011, and the early returns have been mediocre. True, the Saints have the versatile Pierre Thomas as their primary back, and the explosive Darren Sproles for the all-purpose role out of the backfield, but the Saints are counting on Ingram to be a 200-touch player for them this year -- and surrendered a first-round pick in 2012 to get him. He's got to deliver so the Saints don't have to wear Thomas down.

New Face, New Place

Defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley. John Fox loved Bunkley last year in Denver and the Broncos very much wanted to keep him as the keystone to their defensive tackle corps. But the Saints stole him for $5 million a year, on average, which stunned the Broncos. Five million a year for a defensive tackle who likely won't be a three-down player? Bunkley's going to have to be great against the run -- which the Saints need -- to justify the big payday.

On the Menu

Well, I didn't eat at the Saints' cafeteria Friday. I figured it's probably not such a good idea to eat a team's food when half the organization (and that might be conservative) wants me to fall off a cliff because of my reporting on the bounty affair. But I sat with Brees while he ate, and it looked lovely -- a couple of grilled vegetable wraps and three bottles of water to stave off the inevitable summer dehydration at the Saints' afternoon practice. I will give Abita Brewery a B+ for two bottles of their fine Amber Ale while waiting for a plane at the New Orleans airport in the evening.

Looking At the Schedule ...

I wouldn't want to be Robert Griffin III opening the season, and his career, at the Superdome with a mad-at-the-world crowd in the stands. The schedule has this advantage: two of the first three at home, two of the final three at home. It also has the disadvantage of a relative murderer's row of quarterbacking foes. Out of division, the Saints are at Aaron Rodgers' Packers, Eli Manning's Giants, Peyton Manning's Broncos and Tony Romo's Cowboys, with visits to the Superdome by Philip Rivers' Chargers and Mike Vick's Eagles. Yikes.

Brandon Lloyd, Tom Brady working on chemistry

By Brian McIntyre

Around the League writer

Though training camp is still in the early stages, wide receiver Brandon Lloyd appears to be giving the New England Patriots exactly what they wanted when they signed him to a three-year contract that could be worth as much as $15.5 million.

According to Mary Paoletti of CSN New England, Lloyd and quarterback Tom Brady have connected on deep passes that have been the highlight of each of the Patriots' practices thus far, drawing "oohs" and "ahhs" from spectators. Those kinds of plays were commonplace when Brady and Randy Moss were lighting up opposing secondaries but were absent during the failed Chad Ochocinco experiment of 2011.

Lloyd, whose yards per catch average dropped from 18.8 in 2010 to 13.8 in 2011, has produced solid numbers in Josh McDaniels-led offenses, which was a big part in his decision to sign with New England.

Playing with an elite quarterback like Brady was the main draw, however, and Lloyd says that he and Brady still are working on their chemistry.

"(The relationship with Brady) just takes time," Lloyd said. "We're continuing to talk and work together and seeing what one another is expecting out of the route running and eventually it will just start clicking."

Camp Confidential: Denver Broncos

By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- A veteran Denver Bronco was relaxing after the first training camp practice of a monumental season for the franchise.

He shook his head.

“When was the last time we had something like this here?” he asked. “This is something.”

This is No. 18. This is Peyton Manning.

Everything has changed for the Broncos.

With one phone call from Manning to Denver leader John Elway in March, the landscape of the organization changed. The Broncos are no longer a league curiosity caused by Tim Tebow-mania. They are now relevant because Manning, who missed last season with a neck injury, is the story in the NFL.

The Broncos, though, aren’t consumed by being a popular story. They are focused on the impact Manning, at age 36, will have on the team. In public and in private, the Broncos are not worried about Manning’s health. They are simply in awe that he is on their side.

The organization feels it’s time to make a major push because of Manning.

“It’s very similar to the Super Bowl year we had in New Orleans," said new Denver cornerback Tracy Porter, a former Saint. "We have extremely high expectations on this team, starting with Peyton, all the way down to the last guy on the roster. Our expectations are not just to hopefully get to the playoffs. Our expectations are to get back to New Orleans to play for the Super Bowl and win the Super Bowl. ”

THREE HOT ISSUES:

1. Manning’s health: The Broncos operate as if Manning will be ready for the Sept. 9 opener against visiting Pittsburgh, but they won’t know if he will be fully healthy until he takes a few hits. Again, all indications are that Manning should be fine. He is throwing well, he hasn’t suffered a setback and he is practicing at a strong tempo. He is on pace to be ready for the season.

2. Defensive readiness: The Broncos’ defense is still a work in progress. It went from No. 32 to No. 20 in the NFL last season under the guidance of head coach John Fox and defensive coordinator Dennis Allen. Allen parlayed the success into the Raiders' head coaching job. Former Jacksonville head coach Jack Del Rio, Fox’s defensive coordinator in Carolina in 2002, stepped in to replace Allen. The Fox-Del Rio pairing is strong, but this unit must continue to improve. It will have to play the first six games of the season without weakside linebacker D.J. Williams because of an NFL suspension, and pass-rusher Elvis Dumervil could face a short suspension for a recent gun arrest. So, the team will have to get a lot of players ready during camp as the Broncos try to continue the upward defensive swing.

3. Young receivers: Third-year receivers Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker will be in the spotlight throughout camp. Both are talented players who have a lot of promise. Playing with Manning should hasten their learning curve. But there is not a quarterback in the NFL who is as particular about his receivers as Manning, and both must adjust to Manning’s game. The early word is that both players are earning Manning's trust.

REASON FOR OPTIMISM

The Broncos have a terrific head coach in Fox, whose presence and impact should not be discounted. He is an upper-echelon coach who has a firm grip on this program. His players love him and the overall spirit of the franchise is probably as high as it has been since the back-to-back Super Bowl-winning years in the late 1990s. Fox did a wonderful job last season turning a 4-12 weakling into an 8-8 team that won a playoff game. In Fox’s second season in Carolina, he led the team to the Super Bowl. Will it happen again in Denver? We’ll see, but his players fully believe in him, and that’s a huge head start.

REASON FOR PESSIMISM

We do not yet know if the Broncos are loaded enough with talent to make a long playoff run. There are a lot of questions.

Will the team be able to run the ball enough to help Manning now that the Broncos aren’t using the Tebow-led option? Are the youngsters on the offensive line ready to protect Manning? Will they be good enough at defensive tackle and safety?

This team is far from a finished product and it faces a brutal schedule. Still, expectations are high because of Manning. But the truth is, Denver must build itself around Manning very quickly -- the chief challenge of training camp.

OBSERVATION DECK:

[*]Players rave about Del Rio. They love his toughness and the fact that he is a former NFL player. Many players said Del Rio understands what they are going through and they feel they are on the same page with him already. The word around Denver’s camp is that the Fox-Del Rio relationship has taken off where it left off in Carolina.

[*]Watch for rookie running back Ronnie Hillman, a third-round pick, to get plenty of chances to prove himself. Denver sees him as an explosive threat as a runner and as a receiver out of the backfield.

[*]Former Chicago quarterback Caleb Hanie has the inside track to be Manning’s backup. Still, Adam Weber or rookie Brock Osweiler could pull off the surprise and beat him out.

[*]The Broncos are high on undrafted rookie linebacker Steven Johnson. The Kansas product could get some looks at middle linebacker in the preseason.

[*]The Broncos will look at a lot of punt return options. Having Decker do it may be risky. I think it is an area Denver will look to upgrade on the waiver wire.

[*]While guard Chris Kuper is slowly coming back from a severe ankle injury suffered in Week 17 in 2011, the Broncos expect him to continue to make progress.

[*]Running back Knowshon Moreno, the No. 12 overall pick in 2009, is back after suffering a torn ACL last season. Still, he has an uphill battle to impress this staff.

[*]Keep an eye on fourth-round pick Omar Bolden, a cornerback. He was highly rated out of Arizona State, but he missed all of last season with a knee injury. He looks like a keeper.

[*]The Broncos rave about linebacker Von Miller, the 2011 NFL rookie of the year. The pass-rusher is working diligently to improve his overall game. Coaches and teammates laud Miller for his desire to improve.

[*]The Broncos would like to see middle linebacker Joe Mays shore up his tackling in camp. He is a solid player, but he whiffed too many times last season.

[*]The Broncos love what they see in Porter. Because of his talent, experience and confidence, Porter should be able to handle the pressure of playing opposite Champ Bailey, according to the Broncos. Second-year safety Rahim Moore opened with the first- team defense. He will compete with fellow second-year safety Quinton Carter.

[*]Veteran defensive tackle Ty Warren was working with the first-team defense. Before Warren re-committed to the team in June, Sealver Siliga worked with the first team. Mitch Unrein got some work with the first-team defensive line early in camp as Denver looked for the right rotation.

[*]Defensive lineman Ben Garland is making an impression. He is athletic and has great feet and could make the team.

Carroll's outlook at Seahawks camp begins

By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

Highlights and interpretations from coach Pete Carroll's news conference following the Seattle Seahawks' first practice of training camp Saturday:

[*]Pass-rush thoughts. The Seahawks think their pass rush will be vastly improved with defensive end Bruce Irvin taking over Raheem Brock's old role opposite Chris Clemons in passing situations, and with Jason Jones rushing from the interior. Carroll: "Out of all of the aspects of our football team, I'm most excited about our potential to improve there." Perhaps it would be better for the team if Carroll were most excited about the possibilities at quarterback. Then again, Carroll is a defensive-minded head coach, so he might be inclined to think about defense first.

[*]Proceeding with caution. The Seahawks, much like the Arizona Cardinals with Beanie Wells, are taking a conservative approach to rehab with one of their top offensive players. Receiver Sidney Rice is wearing a non-contact jersey in practice. The team has bet big on Rice and doesn't want to do anything to risk injury as Rice returns from surgeries on both shoulders. Carroll: "I just think he’s had enough that he’s been through that it warrants taking our time here and not rushing him back."

[*]Closing the door: The law prohibits burial of the living, but Carroll broke out a figurative shovel when asked about recently released receiver Mike Williams. Carroll: "First off, it was just time to move on. Mike had come back and he had done some good things for us, and I just felt like it was time to just go ahead and move on. Mike had probably topped out what he was going to do for us at this place. Hopefully, he'll get another chance to do something somewhere else."

[*]Forgotten contributors: Cornerback Walter Thurmond's return from a leg injury appears less important to the team now that the secondary has placed three starters in the Pro Bowl and a fourth, Richard Sherman, with similar ability. Carroll thinks Thurmond will need a month or longer to get back on the field. Carroll: "We think he’s unique on this team with his quickness and style; he’s a very aggressive kid. If he comes back to us in four weeks or six weeks whenever it is, when he does come back to us that can be a heck of a boost for us." Byron Maxwell is another nearly forgotten cornerback with the ability to make an impact, health permitting.

[*]DUI fallout: Carroll shed no light on expectations for running back Marshawn Lynch, who could be subject to NFL discipline -- most likely a fine, possibly a suspension -- following a DUI arrest this offseason. The team doesn't know how the league might proceed. The NFL can act in the absence of a legal judgment, but that could be less likely in the absence of aggravating circumstances. And so the Seahawks wait.

[*]Setting up the roster: Carroll pointed to new contracts for Lynch, Clemons, Red Bryant and Max Unger as a signal to the locker room that the organization will take care of productive players. Carroll: "We’re working really hard to have a really well structured roster, and if you guys take a look at it and look at the offensive side of the ball, how complete it is right now. There are not many question marks going forward contractually. We're very solid defensively, it’s very much the same. We’re committed to our guys and we want to demonstrate that whenever we can."

The Seahawks are holding their second camp practice Sunday at 10 a.m. PT.

Camp Confidential: New York Giants

By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The task for New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin, as he works this summer to keep his Super Bowl champions from getting complacent, is to remind them of all of the things about which they have no right to be complacent.

In a meeting on the first day of camp, Coughlin showed his team a few stats. Under the heading "Worst to Best," he reminded the Giants that they ranked last in the league in rushing offense in the 2011 regular season and 27th in total defense. He put up the number 400, which is the number of points the Giants allowed en route to a 9-7 regular-season record -- more than all but seven teams in the league, not one of which reached the playoffs.

"There's a lot of improvement to be made," Coughlin said after Saturday's practice. "And the challenge has been, 'Which team are we?' Are we the 7-7 team, or are we the Super Bowl champions?"

They are both, of course. They are the team that went 7-7 in its first 14 games, playing inconsistent defense, running the ball into the backs of its linemen and asking quarterback Eli Manning to bring it back from behind in the fourth quarter almost every week. But they are also the team that galvanized itself after its Week 15 loss to the Redskins and won six in a row, including the Super Bowl. Coughlin wants his charges to remember both parts and give them equal weight. The latter part, he says, gives the Giants the confidence to know they can fight through any challenge. The former reminds them of how much work they have to do.

"I think last year was a tale of two teams," defensive end Justin Tuck said. "The first half was the tale of a team that didn't play well together, had egos, was injured, didn't have a full complement of players. And the second half was us coming together. 'All-in' became our slogan, and guys really checked their egos at the door and sacrificed whatever personal things we had to become that great team."

The knowledge that they're capable of being the best team in the league is a helpful thing for the Giants to carry with them. But the tone here at Giants training camp is not one of cockiness or a Super Bowl hangover. The Giants are a serious, professional bunch whose hope is to maintain the intense focus of those final six games and apply it over the course of at least 16 this time around. Tuck said the Giants can trust in "the mental compass of this team" to make sure the issues that plagued them last year don't resurface, and as they go through their preparations for 2012, that is the priority.

"We've got to find a way to get our work done," Tuck said. "That's the only way you win championships."

THREE HOT ISSUES

1. Can Will Beatty play left tackle? The offensive line is the biggest question, and the key to the line is Beatty, who still has yet to establish himself as the reliable starter the Giants believe he can be at left tackle. He missed the final six games of the regular season with an eye injury and says the good thing about that is he didn't beat up his body as badly as the rest of his teammates did, but he did miss the reps and the experience he would have accrued had he been able to complete his first year as a starter. So he remains a question.

"That's definitely something that he's got to work at," right tackle David Diehl said. "When you miss that much time of football, you've got to get back at things, and he missed some time during minicamp due to a back injury, so he's got his work cut out for him to come into this season. But we all know he's physically capable."

2. Who replaces Brandon Jacobs and Mario Manningham? They weren't starters, but Jacobs had 167 touches last year and Manningham caught 39 passes. They will need to be replaced, and the candidates to do so are young and unproven. First-round pick David Wilson is competing with D.J. Ware and Da'Rel Scott to be the backup running back behind Ahmad Bradshaw. Second-round pick Rueben Randle is competing with Domenik Hixon, Jerrel Jernigan and Ramses Barden to be the No. 3 wide receiver. Training camp and the preseason will be a tryout camp for the guys at those positions. Starting wide receivers Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz are excellent, as is Bradshaw if he can keep his feet healthy all year. But this offense likes to spread it around, and some of the players in these competitions must step up as reliable options.

3. Is Terrell Thomas back? The Giants' secondary was more good than bad last year, but it did have its bad moments. Thomas, who suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the preseason and missed all of 2011, believes he's healthy and ready to reclaim his position as an emerging star at cornerback. If he's not, the Giants will look to 2011 first-round pick Prince Amukamara to man the cornerback spot opposite Corey Webster. But Amukamara comes with plenty of his own questions, and the Giants need this camp to help them figure out exactly what they have on the back end of that defense. The pass rush remains excellent and the linebacking depth is improved, but if there's a spot at which the defense is a bump or a bruise away from being very wobbly, it's that secondary.

REASON FOR OPTIMISM

Where the Giants are strong, they are as strong as anyone in the league. The pass rush, led by defensive ends Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul and Osi Umenyiora, is fearsome when only two of that threesome are healthy. If all three can stay healthy this year, they should be devastating. "That's our strength, no question," Tuck said. "We know it. It's a lot of pressure on us, but we thrive on it, and hopefully we can build on last year and play 16 games together this year so we can see how scary that can be."

They're also obviously quite strong at quarterback, where Manning has established himself as the most clutch player in the league. He led seven fourth-quarter comebacks last year, including one in the NFC Championship Game and one in the Super Bowl. He never misses a game, works hard at making those around him better and has become the unquestioned leader of the team. In a quarterback-driven league, the Giants wouldn't trade their guy for anyone.

REASON FOR PESSIMISM

The one potential downside to that last thing, however, is that the Giants may have come to count on Manning too much. Manning himself said that, while knowing you can make a fourth-quarter comeback is nice, the Giants need to stop making them so necessary.

"It kind of means, when you're doing that a bunch, that you're not playing real well the first three quarters," Manning said. "So let's step it up and play with that kind of energy and enthusiasm and that 'Hey, we need to score here' kind of attitude in the first three quarters. Obviously I still want it at the end, and there's going to be some games where you need it. But let's not overuse it, because sometimes you're going to get a bad break. Sometimes the ball's going to get tipped. Sometimes a bad play is going to happen and then you're just out of time. So let's not always put ourselves in that situation."

The Giants didn't actively go out and get many solutions to the problems that put Manning in those situations so often last year. They're relying on the guys they have to play better and stay healthier. And if they don't ... well, you just can't count on seven fourth-quarter comebacks every year, no matter how good your quarterback is.

OBSERVATION DECK

[*]It looks as though Chase Blackburn will begin the season as the starting middle linebacker, though newcomer Keith Rivers could overtake him if he shows the ability to play the middle. The second-team middle linebacker right now is Mark Herzlich, who also could overtake Blackburn if healthy and leave Rivers in a utility linebacker role. This is suddenly a position of great depth for the Giants, who have four second-year linebackers they like as well as Rivers and starting outside linebackers Michael Boley and Mathias Kiwanuka.

[*]Don't assume rookie Wilson wins the backup running back job just because he was picked in the first round. The Giants love him, but they'll be perfectly willing to keep him in the background and develop him if he doesn't show enough in camp and someone such as Ware does. Wilson is getting a lot of practice reps, so they will be able to make a thorough judgment on him, but he's still behind Ware on the depth chart.

[*]Former Giants safety Deon Grant said last week that he expects to re-sign with the Giants at some point during camp, but I did not get that vibe from the Giants. They feel good about their linebacker and cornerback depth, and barring injury, I don't think they'll feel the need to bring back Grant and run all of those three-safety sets they ran the past couple of seasons.

[*]Beatty said he came to camp lighter this year (310 pounds) than last (319). He believes he can put the weight back on as muscle now that he's able to work out again. After he injured his back and developed a sciatic nerve problem during minicamp last year, he was unable to work out the way he usually does in the summer.

[*]While the Giants' pass rush is keyed around their defensive ends, they believe second-year defensive tackle Marvin Austin can help them generate more pressure up the middle on first and second downs. "He's a fast-twitch guy, especially for a 320-pounder," Tuck said of Austin, who missed his senior season at North Carolina in 2010 due to suspension and his rookie NFL season in 2011 due to injury.

[*]Should something happen to Beatty or Diehl, the Giants hope 2011 fourth-round pick James Brewer can be a reliable first option as backup at either tackle position. Their hope is that he develops into a reliable right tackle who can eventually replace Diehl, though they're not expecting that this season.

[*]Fullback Henry Hynoski caught passes out of the backfield early in camp. He's good at it, and especially given the Giants' questions at tight end, it's an option you should probably expect them to use in the passing game.
I am banking on Netnalp keeping us in the loop on this question from above:

2. Who replaces Brandon Jacobs and Mario Manningham?

Redskins camp report: RG3's development will determine how fast this team rises

By Jason La Canfora | CBS Sports NFL Insider

The Washington Redskins finally opened a training camp under Mike Shanahan without a dark cloud of discord hanging over the franchise. In 2010, it was the war with Albert Haynesworth. Last year it was all about Donovan McNabb, and where he would end up.

Now, it's all about the future, and not players destined to be part of the past. It's all about Robert Griffin III under center, and the bevy of picks Shanahan parted with to move up and draft him. After another year in last place in the NFC East, there is nowhere to go but up. But how quickly will it come?

And in parting with all those picks to get RG3, did they mortgage too much of the potential core around the youngster?

Besides the Griffin trade, the Redskins made a splash by jumping on receivers Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan right away in free agency, and made some middling moves, bringing back injured RB Tim Hightower, taking chances on Tanard Jackson and Brandon Meriweather at safety. The roster remains riddled with questions at some key spots.

Team objectives

Develop a quarterback. This is it. Period. The franchise has failed at this repeatedly and systematically, and until they get this right, sustained success won't come. As numerous players told me, everything in this offense is being installed around RG3's strengths and trying to put him in position to succeed. The whole goal is to have Griffin ascending and improving from month to month.

Perfect the 3-4. The front seven continues to make strides, and that group is the strength of the team. They get second-year lineman Jarvis Jenkins back from a lost 2011, they have menacing outside linebackers in Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan, and London Fletcher leading things in the middle. They're in the scheme for the third consecutive year and have some chemistry there. They should be able to get some pressure on the QB.

Protect the franchise. The Redskins already had to start reshuffling their questionable offensive line on the first day of camp, with right tackle Jammal Brown already hurt again. This team gave up 10 sacks in a game last year and was carved up by less-than-elite fronts far too often. Finding five guys who can stay healthy and stay together will be key.

Camp battles

Running back: Shanahan himself said he is unsure who will start at running back and how much they might go by committee. And his starting running back could end up being someone not on the roster right now. Tim Hightower, coming off an ACL tear, will be held back through the preseason. They hope they can keep Roy Helu healthy. Evan Royster is in the mix, too. In the past, you could always count on any back Shanahan picked up off the street to rush for 1,000 yards. Now you have to wonder some.

Right tackle: Brown already shifted this situation with the latest in his series of injuries. How long he remains on the PUP list with the hip problem remains to be seen. In the meantime, Tyler Polumbus gets first crack with the starters. He can shift from guard to tackle, and might just be able to hold on to the gig.

Somebody to watch

WR Leonard Hankerson. He had a big game last season, and has the skill set Shanahan looks for in a big-play receiver. But he's coming off a hip injury, and while able to go full speed on the first day of camp, Shanahan knows hips can be tricky -- "keeping his fingers crossed," as he put it. He has good size in what is a smallish group and the potential to be an impact player ... but can he stay healthy?

Injury roundup

• It was good news for receivers Josh Morgan and Hankerson at the first practice, with both finally able participate in team drills after being limited all offseason. But overall, including Santana Moss, there are some injury concerns in this group overall.

• Jenkins was shining in offseason work before losing his entire season. He has the ability to make a mark in their rotation.

• TE Chris Cooley has been riddled by knee and hip problems but was running free and easy and cutting well in drills. He has slimmed down and the Redskins could be in a lot of two-tight-end sets this season to help their young quarterback.

• Shanahan hopes safety Tanard Jackson can be off the PUP list by the start of next week, if not sooner.

The last word

The drafting of RG3 likely buys Shanahan time -- at least through the 2013 season -- but his son Kyle (the offensive coordinator) will be in the spotlight trying to develop Griffin. He has a lot of young coaches around him. Griffin's amazing athleticism opens up the offense, though, and the overall QB production will be better.

But the offensive line and secondary are areas of concern, the running game is suspect, the roster still needs to be rebuilt and this division, and conference, are only getting better. I have a hard time seeing this team win more than 5-6 games, if that. But this season shouldn't be about that. They're not there yet.

If RG3 is even close to the hype and expectations on the field, and the Redskins finally have an impact young quarterback, then this franchise will be back on track. That's what 2012 comes down to for Washington.

I am banking on Netnalp keeping us in the loop on this question from above:

2. Who replaces Brandon Jacobs and Mario Manningham?
Bradshaw showing no foot issues in camp. Wilson is wowing people with his ability more and more each day. Today Wilson made a defender miss by stopping on a dime and bending backwards Matrix style, then kept going. FB Hynoski looks like he'll be involved in the passing game more and may see the ball in short yardage.

The #3 WR hard to say so far. Randle and Jernnigan both been looking great. Hixon there's been conflicting reports, some say he looks good others say he's lost a step.

Patriots training camp: Tom Brady aging but still sharp as ever

By Albert Breer

Reporter, NFL.com and NFL Network

NFL.com has dispatched several writers to report on the 32 training camps over the next few weeks. Albert Breer details his visit with the New England Patriots.

(Click here for the complete archive of Training Camp Reports.)

WHERE IS NFL.COM?

Foxboro, Mass., where the expectations following the reigning AFC champion New England Patriots can be quantified -- 36,000-plus filled the Gillette Stadium practice field stands and adjacent Patriots Experience park over the first three days of camp. Bill Belichick turned 60 earlier this year, Tom Brady turns 35 this week, and there's a palpable sense that the time is now for this loaded roster.

OBSERVATION DECK

1. The Patriots are all in. I wrote last year at this time that the Patriots were pushing their chips to the middle of the table, with moves to get Albert Haynesworth and Chad Ochocinco as proof. Those two didn't work out, but New England got to the Super Bowl anyway, and that "urgency of now" mentality is still apparent. Four times in the last five years, at this juncture, the Patriots held two first-round picks, and in the first three of those occasions they pushed resources forward, traded down and built to the future. This time around, they cashed their chips in, moving up twice in April -- first for Chandler Jones, then for Donta Hightower -- to inject athleticism and size to their front seven. As a result, a team that's worked to control the draft board over the last decade has just five picks total in the 2013 NFL Draft. At least on the surface, that reflects a team playing very much for today.

2. Brady's sharp as ever. OK, so we just went over how this could be the twilight of Brady's career? With the caveat that things can change in a hurry (See: Manning, Peyton), be aware of this: He still looks very much on top of his game. It's hard not to appreciate how every receiver is hit in stride, with a chance to get upfield. Or how every teammate is having his feet held to fire constantly, with Brady just a drop or a bad route away from lighting into someone. Or why it works for him because of the massive credibility he has with teammates. Brady mentioned to me on Saturday that he thinks "the great part about being around here is that the expectation is only to win, and there's nothing else. It's not about selling tickets or t-shirts, it's to win football games." And that is just it for No. 12. It's easy to respond to someone like that when it really, genuinely is as much about you as it is him.

3. It's hard to put a ceiling on Brandon Lloyd. Brady's new top outside threat was once a symbol of the Redskins' personnel woes and tagged a locker room cancer. Then, he met Josh McDaniels. In 25 games under the new/old Patriots offensive coordinator with the Denver Broncos and St. Louis Rams, Lloyd caught 119 balls for 1,953 yards and 14 touchdowns, which projects to 76 catches, 1,250 yards and nine touchdowns over 16 games. And now he gets to play with Brady, with a connection between the two already apparent. At one point on Saturday, the quarterback threw down the right sideline to Lloyd, who climbed over cornerback Sterling Moore and fast-closing safety Josh Barrett to steal the ball away. Afterward, Lloyd said it "just takes time" to build the quarterback-receiver relationship. These two seem to be well on their way.

4. Wes Welker's replacement might not be a receiver at all. Belichick offered up an interesting answer when I asked on Friday about having depth behind a unique player like Aaron Hernandez. "If you have (a similar player) then you could put that player in there for him," the coach said. "If you don't have that, then you have other players on your roster who would do things maybe not quite the same but fill a similar role. If he's an inside receiver and (Wes) Welker is an inside receiver, then they're not the same, but they're both inside receivers, as an example." That makes you wonder if the Patriots see paying both Hernandez and Welker long-term to be redundant. Next year, when Welker's contract is up again, Hernandez is going into a contract year. And this type of situation isn't unprecedented. In 2004, Brandon Stokley went for 1,000 yards for the Indianapolis Colts and was Peyton Manning's most trusted target. Injuries wound up driving him out of Indianapolis a couple years later. The man who replaced much of his production: Dallas Clark.

5. The defensive issues here aren't solved. The hope is that, long-term, Jones gives New England the kind of passing rushing threat offenses have to gameplan for, but he's still seen as a bit of a project. Andre Carter could still be brought back to ease the transition for the years-old Patriots problem of getting pressure on the passer. But the real issue here, at least at this point, is on the back end. In the two days of practice I watched, as impressive as the Patriots offense was, the corners looked very ordinary. The Patriots badly need Devin McCourty to bounce back from a bad sophomore campaign, and second-year pro Ras-I Dowling to stay healthy. There's still time, of course, but early signs weren't great.

THE NEW GUYS

Donta Hightower. If you've been around Belichick long enough, one thing you pick up on is the weight his praise for rookies carries. He talked up Jerod Mayo in 2008 and McCourty in 2010, and both were 16-game starters. And he's had similar plaudits for Hightower. For good reason, too. At one point in individuals on Sunday, Rob Gronkowski tried to engage the rookie in a blocking drill, and Hightower got in the tight end's pads and jacked him up into a standstill. At that point, a coach warned other offensive guys that if their technique was off, Hightower would make them pay. That tells you plenty about this new guy.

Chandler Jones. The freakishly athletic Jones is a bit of a projection, like Jason Pierre-Paul was for the Giants two years ago, and their respective transitions to the pros could be similar. As a rookie, the New York Giants coaches put JPP in spots to take advantage of his athleticism, without ever starting him, and got 4.5 sacks and six passes defensed in return. Last year, of course, Pierre-Paul became a starter and exploded. That's not to say Jones will become JPP, just that the Patriots could follow the developmental blueprint.

Jabar Gaffney/Donte' Stallworth. We've already touched on Lloyd. You can pencil him into the opening day lineup now. Gaffney and Stallworth, on the other hand, will have to fight to get on the roster. Both played in New England previously, and have a rapport with Brady, which signifies the team is looking for more certainty in what they're getting, after the failed Ochocinco experiment. These two are likely fighting with incumbent Deion Branch over one or two jobs.

OVERHEARD

Belichick might be 60, but there's a strong feeling around the league that he's not close to being done, and could well outlast Brady in New England. When asked about his future, Belichick's stock response privately has been, I'm told, "What else am I going to do?" Here's the thing -- he's comfortable. He went to prep school and college in the region, lives in the seaside town of Hingham, and his beloved Nantucket is a short drive/boat ride away. He's got all the power a coach could want organizationally, and now his son is working for him. Maybe he reverses course down the line, but at this point my sense is he's staying in Foxboro for quite a while to come.

EXTRA POINTS

1. If there's one thing that should scare folks in New England, it's the uncertainty on the offensive line. This team needs to get Logan Mankins and Sebastian Vollmer healthy, and Brian Waters back.

2. Speaking of the line, I covered the Patriots day-to-day from 2005-07, and still there are a few things out there like watching Dante Scarnecchia, a fixture in Foxboro since 1982 (with a two-year hiatus in Indianapolis), coach that group. I think "Mean SOB" covers it best.

3. I think Rob Gronkowski will be fine, because he prioritizes football. But here's the issue he's created for himself. If he were to go for 70 catches, 1,000 yards and eight touchdowns this year (still really good numbers for a tight end), folks will attribute the drop off to his offseason antics.

OUTLOOK

Put it this way: The question that was most popular during Day 1 of this team's training camp was, "Can you go 16-0?" Expectations couldn't be much higher in Foxboro. And so I figure I'd ask the boss, owner Robert Kraft, what he thought of any 16-0 talk. He took a page from the Belichick playbook. "For every one of these 19 years we've owned the team, I've felt excited," Kraft told me. "Any owner in any city should be. If you're not excited now, when everyone has a chance, when will you be? At this point, you have no idea who'll get injured, just like we didn't know Tommy would go down in the first quarter of the first game (in 2008). What I've learned is you should always be excited in the beginning. But I really love the position we're in. Everyone's shooting for us in the division. And our focus is on getting to the end of the year as healthy as we can, and winning the division. That guarantees us a home playoff game, we can reward our fans with that, and see what happens from there." Somehow I think, and this is just a sneaking suspicion, Kraft might be hoping for just a little more than that.

Chris Wesseling ‏@ChrisWesseling

Doug Martin 1: "One of the stars of camp and has done virtually everything right from running with decisiveness, quickness and authority ...

Chris Wesseling ‏@ChrisWesseling

Doug Martin 1: "One of the stars of camp and has done virtually everything right from running with decisiveness, quickness and authority ...
Doug Martin leads Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB derbyBy Dan Hanzus

Writer

In ATL's positional breakdown of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' running backs, I surmised LeGarrette Blount would win his training camp battle against rookie Doug Martin.

I based my prediction on the idea that new Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano seems determined to put Blount on the right track. As it turns out, I might have surmised incorrectly.

The Tampa Bay Times reported Sunday that Martin has taken a large majority of the first-team reps in the first three days of practice. Martin also got more reps when the Bucs conducted a pass-protection period in Sunday morning's practice. This is especially notable since pass-protection blocking is one area of Blount's game where he needs all the practice he can get.

Schiano cautioned not to read too much into the situation until the Buccaneers are in a live situation. The team wore pads for the first time on Sunday, but there's yet to be any tackling.

Said Schiano: "You look at them in protection and carrying the ball, but until they have to break a tackle, make someone miss in a game when they're getting tackled live, it's awfully hard to evaluate."

So no, let's not call this one just yet. But early returns are excellent on Martin, whose speed and quickness brings a new dimension to the backfield. Blount might still have a role in the offense, but this might be Martin's show.

Aaron Hernandez's role could expand for Patriots

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

NFL.com and NFL Network compadre Albert Breer provided a nice look at the New England Patriots on Sunday with his training camp overview.

We wanted to call attention to one section from the piece, which touched on slot receiver Wes Welker's long-term future in Foxborough. Head coach Bill Belichick gave an intriguing answer when asked about having depth behind a unique hybrid player like tight end Aaron Hernandez.

"If you have (a similar player) then you could put that player in there for him," the coach told Breer. "If you don't have that, then you have other players on your roster who would do things maybe not quite the same but fill a similar role. If he's an inside receiver and Welker is an inside receiver, then they're not the same, but they're both inside receivers, as an example."

Interesting that Belichick uses Welker as the example there. With Rob Gronkowski recently signed to a hefty multiyear deal, the Patriots are unlikely to lock up both Welker and Hernandez. The younger Hernandez could be a tempting replacement for Welker -- in terms of targets -- if the team lets him walk after the season.

Conspiracy theorists, feel free to point to the recent acquisitions of Visanthe Shiancoe and Jake Ballard as Phase One of a Machiavellian scheme slowly coming into focus.

First impressions from Rams training camp

By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Thoughts and observations after watching the St. Louis Rams' first training camp practice under new coach Jeff Fisher on Sunday at team headquarters:

[*]Backfield shines: Quarterback Sam Bradford and running back Steven Jackson stood out right away. Bradford appears so much healthier than he was last season. He threw with accuracy and authority. Jackson's size always impresses, but his quickness was also apparent Sunday (Jackson says he's at 5.1 percent body fat, by the way). Jackson legged out runs to the end zone, hustling on every play. He's setting an example for the team's younger players (the Rams have the NFL's youngest roster on average following an offseason overhaul).

[*]Secondary watch: It's far too early to make roster determinations based on a few reps here or there on the first day. I did notice Craig Dahl working with the No. 1 defense. Darian Stewart was the starter last season. Rookie second-round choice Janoris Jenkins worked with the starting defense opposite Cortland Finnegan, with rookie Trumaine Johnson next onto the field among corners. Finnegan might project as the best option in the slot, at least for now.

[*]Line shuffle: Quinn Ojinnaka got the first-team work at left guard. Robert Turner was at center while Scott Wells continues to rehab from knee surgery.

[*]Early feel at receiver: The team ran through several combinations at wide receiver. Second-round pick Brian Quick wasn't working with the starters initially. Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson got first-team work, as did Steve Smith and Greg Salas. Gibson made a few impressive catches. He's fared well in camp and the preseason previously, but it hasn't translated well to the regular season. Amendola is the safest bet to earn consistent playing time. The other receivers have more to prove. Hamstring trouble will sideline Danario Alexander for the time being. Alexander has fought hard to overcome injuries stemming from chronic knee trouble. It might be a losing battle.

[*]Amendola's elbow: Amendola appears full strength after recovering from a dislocated left elbow and torn triceps. On one play, he reached back with his left arm toward a pass and landed a bit awkwardly, with no ramifications. That seemed like a clear indication Amendola feels comfortable playing without restriction.

[*]Don't do that: That was second-year linebacker Justin Cole making contact with Jackson around the knees.

[*]Little-known player to watch: Defensive end Eugene Sims figures to get more playing time in a reconfigured rotation. I'll be interested in watching him once the Rams put on full pads Wednesday.

[*]The Long precedent: The Rams' four-year extension with Chris Long marks one of the very few times the team has re-signed one of its draft choices in recent seasons. Ron Bartell got a new deal previously. Oshiomogho Atogwe signed one, but it was a stopgap deal, not a legitimate extension. Other than that, the Rams have waved goodbye to a long list of draft choices. The trend is changing. Middle linebacker James Laurinaitis, a second-round pick in 2009, figures to have a new deal in the near future. Fisher and staff say they place high value on middle linebackers. They love Laurinaitis.

These were a few first impressions. I'll be at Rams camp much of the week. There was enough left over from Sunday to produce additional items beginning Monday. Interviews with Chris Long, Sam Bradford, Steven Jackson, Jeff Fisher and others are helping provide a better feel for the team.

By Jason La Canfora

CBS Sports (NFL Insider)

History suggests the Steelers will eventually reward Mike Wallace if he signs and reports. (Getty Images)

LATROBE, Penn. -- I wrote this before, about six weeks ago to be precise, and I'll write it again, and if logic reigns it will soon become a moot point: Mike Wallace, you need to get back with your teammates. Your holdout is going nowhere. It's well beyond time to get back to Pennsylvania and get back to work.

There isn't really any other choice. This ill-fated holdout is getting Wallace nowhere and the only rational end result -- signing a long-team deal with the Steelers -- has not changed. As the Steelers forged on Sunday at training camp, no one was pining for Mike Wallace. Instead, the business of preparing for a championship season resumed, something this franchise does quite well.

You can't bully the Steelers. The Rooney family won't blink, and they continue to abide by their tried and true tactics in these situations, in this case, no negotiations with Wallace until he gets his butt to Western Pennsylvania. No one is bigger than this team, especially not a highly talented, yet limited receiver who happens to be playing a position where the team enjoys great depth, at a time a new offense is being installed, and with fellow receiver Antonio Brown just receiving a five-year, $42 million extension.

Coach Mike Tomlin, generally unfazed in the face of anything, is not deterred by Wallace's absence. And he's up front with his team about the mentality to adopt.

"We identify all of these situations as unique ones, and each one stands on its own, and it's part of the process," Tomlin said. "Whether it's through a contractual situation or injuries or suspensions or what have you, one man's misfortune is another man's opportunity. We talk about that openly all the time. We acknowledge in this journey we're on, things are going to happen, and others need to seize these opportunities to show what they're capable of. And I think a lot of men here are capable of that."

One player told me that, unequivocally, "We're not the same team without Mike," noting how effective he is by changing defenses as a deep threat whether the ball comes his way or now. They know it's a business, but feel like Wallace is hurting not only himself, but the team, and they wonder about how fit and durable he will be if he has a long layoff.

Now is not the time to be like Mike. It's beyond time that Wallace started to be like Antonio.

Wallace had very little leverage back when he skipped minicamp, and the tide has only swung even more in the Pittsburgh Steelers' favor since then. So, let's get a few things straight right off the bat.

A trade is not the solution here. It would be tricky enough for the Steelers to get fair compensation in the first place, and for Wallace to find a team to meet his demands in the second. But the time for him to determine his market already came and went, when he received no offer sheet as a restricted free agent, and the Steelers ownership and management is not entertaining the idea of dealing the speedy young wideout.

This isn't lip service. This is how the Rooneys roll.

"Mike Wallace is not available for trade," general manager Kevin Colbert told me before practice Sunday, overlooking the bucolic scenery of St. Vincent's College. "We're not even thinking in those terms."

Also, disregard what you might hear about the Brown signing being reactionary to Wallace's holdout. This, too, is another facet of The Rooney Way when it comes to operating their team. Traditionally, they open up talks with top players as camp opens the year they enter the final year of their rookie contracts. Wallace or no Wallace, the Steelers were very much interested in securing Brown and fellow receiver Emanuel Sanders deep into the future, and that never changed.

Sure, the timing is fortuitous, but the Steelers had told Brown long ago they would make an effort to secure his services before the start of the season, and that they did.

You will read plenty about the Steelers and Wallace having a frayed relationship, one that's beyond repair. Again, reader beware. The Steelers wanted Wallace long-term at the start of the offseason, and that has not wavered. It just has to be at the right price point. And money tends to be the great salve for bruised feelings when it comes to the business of football. Far more acrimonious situations have been patched up. The Steelers still want him.

"We haven't changed in that regard at all," Colbert said. "Mike is a great player and we'd love for him to be a Steeler for a long time."

Some will suggest that Pittsburgh's cap crunch will make signing Wallace to a big contract prohibitive. Nope. Not true. Where there is a will, there's a way. "There are always ways to create room if you decide to do it."

There is a budget in place to sign Wallace. And, again, as I advised in this space oh those many weeks ago, Wallace needs to try to get as close as he can to a five-year, $50 million deal -- with $25 million guaranteed -- and call it a day. Wisely, sources said Wallace came off his desire to be paid like a Larry Fitzgerald a few weeks ago, when things were progressing, and trying to get a deal around $11 million a year like Vincent Jackson got from Tampa is the new goal.

But Jackson wasn't just a third-year player when he got paid, and he was an unrestricted free agent and he had already played a partial season vastly underpaid due to the uncapped-season rules and another as a franchise player. Wallace has none of that on his résumé, and the Steelers still could franchise him for two more years. And if he were to sit out an entire season, they would still own his rights and he would be right back where he started.

This isn't like Maurice Jones-Drew making a stand with the Jags, or a franchise player like Dwayne Bowe staying away with his tender unsigned. Wallace is only hurting himself at this point, and the Rooneys have forbidden any negotiations to take place until Wallace shows up. Another long-standing policy. It ain't changing, either.

"Mike understands that for any steps to be taken," Colbert said, "he has to come here and report to camp and sign his tender and then we'll see where it goes."

Where it goes, is where it has always been heading -- a long-term deal around the parameters I put forth. Any staying away is only preventing that payday, and putting Wallace's future on hold.

Camp Rumblings: The Steelers feel optimistic that their offensive line is really ready to take a turn for the better. Willie Colon, a former starting tackle moving to left guard, earned praise from Colbert and offensive coordinator Todd Haley, and they feel like Max Starks will help their tackle depth when he eventually gets off the PUP list.

• The team is in no rush to get Casey Hampton or James Harrison off the PUP list, allowing both stalwart vets plenty of rest and rehab time.

• Running back Jonathan Dwyer is in the best shape the coaches have ever seen him, and the big back could figure pretty heavily into the rotation with Rashard Mendenhall likely out until December.

• Haley, taking over for longtime coordinator Bruce Arians, who had a very close relationship with Ben Roethlisberger, said he has to play golf with Big Ben -- they share that passion -- and is gradually getting to know him better. Their chemistry will be a big element to this season, and Haley is much more fiery and demonstrative than what Roethlisberger is used to.

"You can't force that relationship," Haley said. "What I've always told my quarterbacks is, I go by what I see, not what I hear," Haley said. "And I'd expect them to do the same thing."

Excerpts from Peter King's MMQB:

Play of the Week: Seattle wide receiver Golden Tate making a full-out diving catch at the eight-yard-line, bouncing up and diving into the end zone Sunday at Seahawks camp. "I got a lot of pressure on myself,'' Tate said Sunday night. "It's year three for me, and it's time. I need to be able to turn routine plays into explosive ones.'' Nothing but questions around the Seattle receiving corps. Tate needs to answer a big one.
Fantasy Tips of the Week (which you should take with a shaker of salt): Five of them: Watch the Marshawn Lynch discipline case (still too early to call; he might get off with an NFL fine even if found guilty of DUI), and if he gets an unpaid vacation, pick up rookie fourth-rounder Robert Turbin, a between-the-tackles runner from Utah State ... In Denver, Eric Decker over Demaryius Thomas ... In San Diego, Eddie Royal over Robert Meachem ... Jimmy Graham, if healthy, will have the best tight end stats in football ... Wouldn't be surprised if, after Larry Fitzgerald, the Cardinal with the best receiving numbers will be Rob Housler. Get to know him. Tight end. Ken Whisenhunt loves him.
Why You Have to Go to Training Camp and Not Just Sit Behind a Desk: For these three scenes ... Philip Rivers looks out on the practice field after the first practice of the year and sees 15-year vet Takeo Spikes, who has never played in a playoff game, doing extra work. He's the last guy on the field. "That's why I want to win -- for guys like Takeo,'' Rivers said ... To see how quick in and out of cuts rookie Nick Toon is in New Orleans -- and to think, "Are you kidding? Another weapon for Brees?'' ... Peyton Manning taking coaching from offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and quarterback coach Adam Gase. He's going to be his own coordinator on the field -- we know that. But the way they talk on the practice field, you can see Manning respects his new aides. ... Antonio Gates running with no limp after a 2011 season spent with constant foot pain, and smiling almost every time he took his helmet off, and saying afterward, "I appreciate my health so much now that I've got it back."
Wednesday: Arizona (Flagstaff, Ariz., Northern Arizona University)

How the first day of camp can lift an entire organization.

If you blinked, you missed it. Or if you were gazing at the imposing San Francisco Peaks just north of the practice field in this lovely college town, you could have missed it too. Ryan Williams, who'd provided so much hope for the Cardinals' running game last summer before rupturing his patella tendon in a preseason game, took a handoff up the middle in the first practice of the summer. Then the second-round draft pick out of Virginia Tech in 2011 did something he hadn't done in 49 weeks: He juked one defender left while planting and cutting right, then did the exact opposite -- juke right, cut left. The crowd oooohed. "Go Li'l Sweetness!'' someone yelled, because that's what Williams likes to be called.

Two hard cuts. As heartbreaking as it was to lose Williams last year, that's how thrilling it was for the Cardinals to see that two-second cut-cut scene.

Quarterback Kevin Kolb and wideout Larry Fitzgerald were talking about the play afterward with a camp visitor. "Amazing,'' said Kolb. "Great. The comfort level you've got to have after whatever knee injury he had --"

"Patella,'' Fitzgerald said.

"Yeah,'' said Kolb. "But three, four cuts, after an injury like that. To trust your knee to make moves like that ... Wow."

On the field, Williams was reliving the play over and over, as reporters crowded around him. I asked if he'd heard the "Li'l Sweetness'' shoutout.

"I heard it,'' he said. "I heard it. Felt good.''
Sunday: Seattle (Renton, Wash., Seahawks training facility)

It's hard not to be impressed with rookie Seattle QB Russell Wilson.

Matt Flynn, Tavaris Jackson, Wilson one day. Jackson, Wilson, Flynn another. Wilson, Flynn, Jackson the next. This is a strange training camp. Most teams know their starting quarterback this morning. A few are having double-barreled competition for the job. But only one of 32, the iconoclastic Seahawks, has three men -- pricey free agent Flynn, incumbent Jackson and the 75th pick in April's draft, Wilson -- competing for the most important job on the field. "We know we're sacrificing something by doing this,'' coach Pete Carroll told me, "but we think the competition is worth it.''

Jackson was a marginal starter, at best, for Seattle last year, leading to the signing of Flynn (two years for at least $13.25 million), and followed by the surprise drafting of the 5-foot-11 Wilson. Most of the free world thinks Flynn -- who I'm guessing is just thrilled to be splitting reps three ways on a team he needs to work heavily with so he can get on the same page with his receivers -- is the likely starter, unless he stinks up camp and the preseason games this summer. That's logical. And if I had to put two five-stacks in Vegas on the outcome of the derby, I'd probably go with Flynn.

But the vibe I got here Sunday is that Wilson has a legitimate shot to win the starting job. Carroll loves him. GM John Schneider loves him. Plus, Flynn's not the kind of player whose arm is going to wow you in a training camp. He's got to have a chance to grow on you, the way he did on Mike McCarthy in Green Bay, to the point where McCarthy, by the end of last season, would have trusted Flynn running the Green Bay offense in a playoff game. But Flynn's just not going to come into a training camp and make people gawk.

That gives the charismatic Wilson a chance, which is all he's ever wanted. I spent 20 minutes with him Sunday, and I was ready to run extra routes for him after listening to him.

"I refuse to be average,'' Wilson said on the field after practice. "I refuse to be good. All I want to do is work to excel every day.''

It's very difficult to make any judgments on a player, or a team, watching a pad-less practice, with players in helmets and shorts. But Wilson's arm looked every bit as strong, and maybe slightly stronger, than Flynn's in this practice. On one snap, Wilson was flushed from the pocket, scrambled right ("He scrambles to throw; he doesn't scramble to run,'' Carroll said) and launched a slightly wavering 32-yard strike down the right side to a covered Ben Obomanu, who came down with the ball. Good play, the kind of play he's going to have to make in the NFL when the pocket breaks down.

That's what he told me he was happiest about at Wisconsin -- the ability to show scouts and NFL teams he could play in the land of the giants (the Badgers offensive line is annually one of the nation's largest) and get clear passing lanes to complete passes. The stuff about how Wilson's sure to have trouble completing balls in the NFL because they'll be batted down seems specious. In the NFL last season, according to Pro Football Focus, 1.9 percent of all pass attempts got batted down or deflected at the line of scrimmage. At Wisconsin last year, Wilson had two of 309 batted down -- 0.6 percent.

I asked sports statistician John Pollard, at Seahawks practice Sunday, to help me with college stats on batted passes. Pollard works with STATS LLC as general manager of its Sports Solutions Group. He came up with numbers that supported Wilson's belief that he'll find a way to complete balls in the bigger, faster NFL.

(click on Link to see the chart)

"I've been told a ton of times if I was just two inches taller, I'd be a great prospect,'' Wilson said. "But I played behind a huge offensive line last season, and I think what I proved is I'm not going to have any trouble getting the ball out.''

The obvious comparisons to Drew Brees will be there for however long Wilson plays in the NFL. "I really would love to get a chance to meet him and spend time with him,'' Wilson said. "That's my guy, the guy I really look up to. I've read his book two or three times. I've watched so much tape on him. Maybe I can get Nick Toon [a Wisconsin teammate drafted by the Saints] to help me meet him.''

Cool kid. The quarterback competition is the best story in Seattle's camp, and the charismatic Wilson makes it that way.
I skipped a few sections including one on Brees and the Saints and one on Peyton Manning and the Broncos -- feel free to click the link for those sections!

Giants Day 4

CB Terrell Thomas will undergo exploratory surgery to see the damage done to his twice repaired knee. He'd been having problems since he slipped on a wet field earlier in camp. ESPN reports it could be the ACL damaged a 3rd time. It's not sounding good, word is nobody has ever comeback and been effective after 3 ACL surgeries. Only $1 million of his contract is guaranteed and he's due a $6 million bonus in March. If the ACL is damaged again, his career could very well be over.

Daily News

Star Ledger

BBI

Inside Football

Tuesday is the player's day off

Postcard from camp: Eagles

Don Banks

Where's SI.com?

At Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa., where the Eagles have spent their summer training sessions since 1996. I know the trend in the NFL has firmly swung toward teams staying home for camp, but I can't imagine the Eagles abandoning their annual trek to Lehigh any time soon. It's a really nice fit between the club and the school, and the Eagles do a great job of making it an attractive little day trip for their fans, who faithfully flock here for the chance to get up close and personal with Team Green. Having just moved to the western suburbs of Philly earlier this year, a little more than an hour south of here, I know Lehigh is now on my yearly camp itinerary. Even if I do always get lost at least once winding my way up the hilly campus roads to the practice fields.

Three Observations

1. Michael Vick seems driven in a way that has made people notice the difference this year. Relax, I'm not going to throw one of those hokey storylines at you about the "New Vick.'' How many incarnations of that one have we heard over the years? But everyone has seen and heard a new level of dedication and commitment from him this offseason, as if he realizes after last season's train wreck just how much he has yet to accomplish in this game. From not missing a single opportunity to work on his craft or his training regime this offseason, to the much more active role he has taken in terms of being the locker room leader, the tone Vick has set has been one of urgency and single-minded focus. Will it pay off in 2012? We shall see.

"I feel like I know the commitment level and see with clarity what has to be done,'' Vick told me after the morning walkthrough practice. "I know what I need to do to make myself a better football player. That's why I'm so excited. When you're confident and believe in what you can do and those around you, it gives you that feeling. I wish I would have felt this way last year at this time, but it just wasn't to be. I don't want to leave no stones unturned. I want to be able to retire some day saying I did everything I could to accomplish everything I wanted to accomplish.''

2. The Eagles feel significantly better about their defense this season with ex-Texans team captain DeMeco Ryans in the middle of everything. Both head coach Andy Reid and general manager Howie Roseman made a point of mentioning how calm Ryans stays even when all heck is breaking out around him at middle linebacker. They think that's going to be a great benefit to the two young outside linebackers who will bracket Ryans: second-year veteran Brian Rolle and rookie Mychal Kendricks, a second-round pick out of Cal.

"There's no panic with him, even when there's motion or shifting on offense,'' Reid said. "He gets everyone lined up, and gets those young guys around him settled down and ready to go.''

Ryans is a smart, savvy veteran and a great fit in the middle of a 4-3, and if he's even close to the same player he was from 2006-10 in Houston, the Eagles' quest to find a playmaker to quarterback their defense will have finally ended.

3. There aren't a lot of hot spots of competition in camp, but two to watch are at punter and backup running back. Philly last week signed longtime Cowboys punter Mat McBriar to compete with second-year veteran Chas Henry, but if McBriar has recovered from the nerve condition that plagued his plant foot in 2011, this really shouldn't be much of a battle. McBriar has twice been to the Pro Bowl and led the league in punting average in 2010. Henry had a so-so rookie season, finishing 25th in gross punting average (42.9) and struggling with consistency. Put your money on McBriar and leave it there.

As far as who will back up the talented LeSean McCoy at running back, rookie seventh-round pick Bryce Brown seems to be ahead of Dion Lewis and others early in camp. There's always a chance a veteran like Cedric Benson or Ryan Grant might make the Eagles' radar screen at some point, but for now it's Brown, an intriguing talent who took a very strange route to the NFL.

He spent time at Tennessee and Kansas State in college, but played in just 13 games overall, with all of four carries for 16 yards since transferring from Tennessee when Lane Kiffin made his hasty departure for USC after the 2009 season. Brown is a solid 6-foot-0, 223 pounds, and he catches the ball well, can block and is versatile enough to line up almost anywhere in Marty Mornhinweg's offense.

Step On Up

Demetress Bell, left tackle. Nothing too difficult about identifying the prime candidate for this category. Bell is being asked to offset the loss of five-time Pro Bowl pick Jason Peters, who suffered a season-ending Achilles tendon tear in late March, and then tore it again in mid-May. Bell started 30 games at left tackle for Buffalo from 2009-11, and he signed with the Eagles in free agency shortly after Peters' first injury. At left tackle, Bell isn't being asked to protect the blind side of the left-handed Vick, but his is still a big task and he's the only new starter on the offensive line.

Bell is pretty athletic for a guy who goes 6-5, 311, and well-respected offensive line coach Howard Mudd has seemed happy enough with his work so far. If Bell struggles to handle the job, the Eagles likely would turn to fifth-year veteran King Dunlap, the 6-9, 330-pound behemoth who started in place of the injured Peters once in 2011, and has opened seven games at tackle in the past two seasons. In a talented offensive lineup that seems poised for a bounce-back year, the pressure is on Bell to help keep the wheels of the machine rolling.

New Face, New Place

Todd Bowles, defensive backs coach. The Eagles secondary underachieved mightily in 2011 (see Nnamdi Asomugha, and others), and I predict Bowles is going to clean that situation up and emerge as one of the most underrated additions of the offseason in the NFL. Remember, this is a guy who went 2-1 as Miami's interim head coach after Tony Sparano was fired, and his Dolphins were drilling the Patriots 17-0 at halftime in Foxboro on Christmas Eve before New England rallied to win 27-24. If Miami had prevailed in that game, Bowles might have gotten the Dolphins' full-time coaching job, the same way Romeo Crennel did after going 2-1 as Kansas City's interim, with an upset of the undefeated Packers.

Bowles is a commanding figure as a coach, with a direct, to-the-point manner of communicating and a good feel for and rapport with his players. I think he'll be a head coach again in this league at some point fairly soon. Reid eagerly extended him a job offer after Bowles -- a Temple University product and native of Elizabeth, N.J. -- was not retained by Miami's new staff. Bowles knows his stuff, and he'll make a first-year impact in Philadelphia.

Looking At The Schedule

The Eagles have a quirky opener at Cleveland, but only because they will have played the Browns 16 days earlier in the same stadium in the dress rehearsal Week 3 of the preseason. Both teams will be shadow boxing through that one, even more so than usual in the preseason. But Philly in Week 2 starts a pretty demanding stretch in which it plays six 2011 playoff teams over seven games. Only a Week 3 trip to Arizona breaks up that tough run, which includes the home opener against Baltimore in Week 2, as well as home games against the Giants, Lions and Falcons, with trips to Pittsburgh and New Orleans mixed in.

Philadelphia might have slumped to a so-so 8-8 last season, but the TV networks still love putting Vick and Co. center stage. The Eagles will have at least five primetime games, with a pair of Monday night affairs, two more on Sunday nights (division showdowns in Week 4 at home against the Giants, and Week 13 at Dallas), and a Week 15 Thursday-nighter against the visiting Bengals. And let's start looking forward to the potential of a winner-takes-the-NFC-East showdown at the Giants in Week 17. The Eagles wouldn't mind if it comes to that. They've beaten the Super Bowl champs in seven of their past eight tussles, and haven't lost on the road in New York/New Jersey since 2007.

Baltimore Ravens training camp: Joe Flacco leads sharp offense

By Aditi Kinkhabwala

WHERE IS NFL.COM?

In Owings Mills, Md., at the Ravens' totally manicured, absolutely gorgeous facility. (Putting green and fountain-featuring pond come included.)

OBSERVATION DECK

1. Something is going on with Joe Flacco and Jim Caldwell. Something good. The quarterback and the new quarterbacks coach are clearly clicking. Maybe it's that they both share easygoing, steady demeanors. Maybe it's Caldwell's attention to minute details and his "knack" -- as offensive coordinator Cam Cameron called it -- for teaching. Regardless, the two are really feeding off each other and Flacco has been enjoying some of the best practices of his career. Receiver Anquan Boldin couldn't have drawn up a better pass than the one Flacco lofted to him in the back left corner of the end zone during a red-zone session Saturday. Granted, it's early, and yes, they're only practicing, but with Flacco coming off a season in which he posted a career-worst 57.6 completion percentage, it is something.

2. Courtney Upshaw is big. So big that a reporter yelped, "He's a rookie?" (Yes, it was a yelp.) With Terrell Suggs sidelined by injury, eyes are certainly on the outside linebacker, a second-round draft pick out of Alabama. And those eyes, well, they're not being disappointed. Upshaw is rangy, he's tough and, like Suggs, he can put his hand on the ground and mix it up. He definitely looks the part of a Ravens linebacker.

3. The Ravens have some kickers (plural). Six months after Billy Cundiff's 32-yard field goal attempt hooked wide left (sending the New England Patriots to the Super Bowl and sending Baltimore home), the Ravens brought rookie Justin Tucker into camp. Tucker, who went 40-for-48 in his last two years as a Texas Longhorn, has a booming leg and didn't miss a kick until Saturday. (Cundiff remained perfect through Saturday, and both kickers were steadily drilling 50-plus yarders.) Cundiff is one of the league's best kickoff specialists; he's not likely to lose his job. But it's certainly fun to watch the two of them compete.

4. Intrigue abounds at offensive tackle. Bryant McKinnie, last year's starting left tackle, missed the first few days of camp, reportedly blaming a back injury suffered at his South Florida home last week. If McKinnie remains plugged in at left tackle, Michael Oher will be fine at right tackle. But when McKinnie was absent from camp, Oher got a ton of reps on the left side and looked more comfortable than he ever had. Also, John Harbaugh was rotating three young players on the right side.

THE NEW GUYS

Sean Considine and Corey Graham: The free-agent acquisitions have already taken lead roles on special teams. As the personal protector, Considine is running the punt team, a position akin to "hiring a new quarterback," special-teams coordinator Jerry Rosburg said. Graham is a physical coverage player and exceptional blocker; Rosburg flat-out said the team is "expecting great things out of him."

Ray Lewis: True, after 16 seasons with the team, he's not really new. But he's super-slimmed down, working at what he said is his lowest playing weight as a professional, and definitely looks like a new version of Ray Lewis. Defensive coordinator Dean Pees said he didn't necessarily encourage Lewis (or Jameel McClain, who's also slimmer) to drop weight, but he thought "it was a good idea." Don't think skinnier linebackers are a trend yet though, says veteran Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Jerricho Cotchery: "It's still about mismatches. As a receiver, you see a linebacker and you think, 'mismatch' -- no matter what he looks like."

Tyrod Taylor: Woo, does this kid have an arm. The second-year quarterback out of Virginia Tech threw a 65-yard, on-the-money touchdown pass to second-year receiver LaQuan Williams that caused an eruption on both sidelines.

OVERHEARD

"Better? Physical? Make any tackles?"

-- Linebackers coach Ted Monachino, on the sidelines, to Paul Kruger, who is playing outside linebacker and doing his best to approximate Suggs. (Or at least hold things down until Suggs gets back.)

Whatever Kruger's answer was, Monachino responded loudly, "Good!"

EXTRA POINTS

1. Danny Cameron is in the midst of a dream summer camp. The high-school junior (and son of Cam Cameron) was on the field Saturday during the quarterback drills, DOING the quarterback drills. That's right: the lineup consisted of Flacco, Curtis Painter, Tyrod Taylor, John Brantley and the starting quarterback of Loyola High School.

2. There's a reason Harbaugh doesn't look 49. (His 50th birthday is Sept. 23, the day the New England Patriots come to town for a rematch of the AFC title game. Easy to guess what's on the top of his gift list ...) After a two-and-a-half hour practice Saturday, with the sun blazing down on the field and the temperature soaring well into the 90s, Harbaugh joined former Baltimore cop and current Ravens security official Craig Singleterry for sprints. Run the length of the football field, walk half the width, run the length again. He did a half dozen reps, and while there was definitely sweat, he didn't appear to be breathing hard.

3. The Ravens have a lot of leaders on offense. Ray Rice has his fat new contract, and is still the same happy, living-the-dream person he was in college. And is also a veritable leader. So too are Flacco, Oher, Ed Dickson, Dennis Pitta, Vonta Leach, Anquan Boldin and Matt Birk -- all of whom Cameron named while saying this is "the best leadership" he's had in his meeting room.

OUTLOOK

In the Ravens' very first padded practice Saturday, Rice seemed to go down, made a second effort and got another three yards. Cameron sent a series of receivers downfield -- and they almost all caught balls thrown their way. Flacco was again sharp, and this offense clearly thinks it has the parts to be a top-five unit (the Ravens were 19th in passing last year). As early as it is, that doesn't sound ludicrous. The defense does have a new coordinator and will be missing Suggs (torn anterior cruciate ligament) for much of the season, but this is the Ravens: Their defense is always smash-mouth tough.

Buffalo Bills training camp: Ryan Fitzpatrick getting some help

By Kimberly Jones

WHERE IS NFL.COM?

The Pittsford, N.Y., campus of St. John Fisher College, alma mater of Buffalo Bills CEO Russ Brandon (more on him later), provides a picturesque setting for Bills camp. The newly installed grass field has been a big hit over the past week. The local community embraces the Bills, and the team loves it back.

OBSERVATION DECK

1. Put it on Fitz. The team's fate in 2012 rests largely on quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, the quick-witted Harvard grad. "I don't feel a tremendous amount of pressure..." he told NFL.com. But he might be the only one who doesn't. Every Bill knows two things: Fitzpatrick has to play well and the team has to help him where it can.

2. Super Mario has company up front. Prized free-agent acquisition Mario Williams anchors a defensive line that is expected to have a big impact. Like, an "every play" sort of impact.

3. There's Stevie ... and then what? Stevie Johnson is locked in, but the second starting receiver job remains open. Donald Jones, who was injured last year, is battling Marcus Easley and T.J. Graham for the spot. Easley, a physical specimen, could emerge as the best choice. His is a great story; Easley has battled back from a heart condition that sidelined him in 2011.

THE NEW GUYS

Stephon Gilmore. The 21-year-old rookie cornerback is mature and has impressed on the field and with his even-keel approach. He's spent most of camp shadowing Johnson, who compares him to -- get this -- New York Jets star Darrelle Revis. "They're probably about the same speed, they have great balance, they can stay over (the) top, but Gilmore is taller," Johnson said, then smiled. "I don't want to say too much..."

Mario Williams. Bills fans are grateful to the veteran defensive end for choosing Buffalo. They expressed that gratitude during a recent practice, at which they chanted his name. They'll like him even more if he impacts the team's pass rush as significantly as is expected. "If (someone else can) get (to the passer), cool. If I do, fine," he said. "But we're definitely going to be back there. That's our mentality."

Mark Anderson. Signed as a free agent during the offseason, the former New England Patriots defensive end gives the Bills another experienced pass rusher. Asked to name Anderson's best attribute, defensive tackle Kyle Williams said, "Speed." That'll work.

OVERHEARD

"There's no doubt in my mind about it, we will contend. I wouldn't think we'd accept anything else. We expect to."

-- Buddy Nix, Bills general manager

EXTRA POINTS

1. Kyle Williams says he's the best athlete on the team, and he just might have a point. He's a plus-one handicap in golf and a former champion swimmer who slammed home runs while taking batting practice with the Toronto Blue Jays. In center Eric Wood's words, "He's as strong as it gets at defensive tackle."

2. Healthy and in great shape, Johnson has the season opener against the Jets on his mind. "I'm definitely thinking about Revis," he said, "because I know once we line up, he'll be on me the whole time."

3. Veteran defensive back Bryan Scott is now listed at outside linebacker. Asked about making that unlikely transition, he laughed. "I think I'm the first player in history to go from corner to safety to linebacker," he said. "But I accept it with open arms."

4. Brandon was inducted into the St. John Fisher Hall of Fame in 2004 for his accomplishments as a baseball player. He recently competed in a celebrity home run derby as part of the Class AAA baseball All-Star game, which was held in Buffalo, and finished second to New England Patriots star Rob Gronkowski, who is also from the area. The defeat still doesn't sit well with Brandon. "I expected to win," Brandon said. "I really wanted to beat Gronk. And, yes, he did wear a shirt," he added, referencing the attention-getting photo of Gronkowski that capped his high-profile summer.

OUTLOOK

The Bills will be as good as Fitzpatrick, and he wouldn't argue with that. However, Buffalo also has a defense that should keep the team in games, give Fitzpatrick more chances to succeed and maybe even contribute to a win. Or two.

San Francisco 49ers training camp: Running with Randy Moss

By Ian Rapoport

WHERE IS NFL.COM? The team is still officially called the San Francisco 49ers, but everything happens in Santa Clara, Calif. The practice facility consists of two fields smashed into an office park, surrounded by bulldozers and shovels. No, we're not complaining. The Niners' new stadium is being built right next door; the team and any other visitors to Santa Clara get a first-hand look at what's soon to be the NFL's newest home. It's a very cool site, promising enough exciting possibilities to make it worth having the media work room located in a trailer.

OBSERVATION DECK

1. Can Randy Moss make this team and resurrect his career? Moss was a media darling the day we visited, holding court with reporters for more than 10 minutes. He offered some jokes, soulfully shared his feelings for the game and spoke glowingly of his new team. "Me being around a great group of guys who are young and enthusiastic makes me feel kind of young, too," Moss said. The question is whether he'll be around for the 2012 season. The early signs are incredibly positive for the 35-year-old former star. He burned past two cornerbacks during one-on-one drills, looking like the Moss of old. His blazing speed must be respected; even if he's not quite his old self, opposing defenses might still double-team him. However well he performs, Moss might still draw enough defenders to help key the 49ers' running game. This offense could be more explosive with Moss in the lineup.

2. Are there enough footballs to go around? There's been a lot of hoopla surrounding Moss. However -- as coach Jim Harbaugh said -- five players could be competing for the role of No. 1 receiver, including Michael Crabtree, Ted Ginn Jr., Kyle Williams and Mario Manningham. San Francisco, meanwhile, didn't exactly run a pass-heavy offense last season; the 49ers carried the ball 498 times, third-most in the NFL. Is Harbaugh suddenly going to turn quarterback Alex Smith loose? Maybe. But Smith will have to prove he can distribute like a point guard and keep every receiver happy for such an approach to work. Smith wasn't lying when he admitted that finding Moss deep is slightly intimidating. The quarterback is going to have to air it out in 2012.

3. The 49ers might not have the best defense in football this year... or will they? Only a handful of teams can counter the strength of San Francisco's front seven. That the 49ers can team up linebackers Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman is almost unfair; I was impressed by their willingness to spend time teaching younger players. Defensive end Aldon Smith looks bigger and stronger, and his fellow end, Justin Smith, is the same as he always is, meaning that San Francisco will be insanely difficult to run against. If the 49ers can bring the kind of pressure they're hoping to, facing San Francisco will be quite unpleasant.

4. Maybe the sky really is the limit. Discussing the team, Moss hesitated and paused, attempting to characterize the 49ers as a work in progress. Then he gave in and revealed what he was really thinking. "The sky is the limit," Moss said, a phrase that Manningham also used. Both receivers are right. Even though the 49ers lost to the New York Giants in the NFC title game last season, the fact that they got that far generated a palpable sense of optimism within the team. And as Alex Smith said, "That feeling is still there." With so much offensive and defensive talent, this might be the year the 49ers return to glory.

THE NEW GUYS

Brandon Jacobs. The aging running back couldn't have landed in a better spot after parting ways with the New York Giants. Jacobs said he liked that the "downhill" approach of the old-school 49ers reminded him of how the Giants used to do things. "When I first came into the league, we went that way," Jacobs said of the Giants' old "run-first" scheme. "Now, I guess, the game there has evolved into something very different." Jacobs looked renewed, and not just with regard to his attitude. He was fast and elusive, showing that when he gets his speed up, he's tough to stop. Between Jacobs, Frank Gore, second-round pick LaMichael James and others, the Niners have a ton of running options.

A.J. Jenkins. Based on a few preseason workouts, some observers are grumbling that the rookie receiver is a bust. Harbaugh lashed out at Jenkins' early critics recently. "They're making themselves look foolish," Harbaugh said. In fact, it's too early tell whether Jenkins has a bright future. In practice, he looked like a fluid athlete who is coming along slowly. One exchange did stand out. "Come on, A.J.," Moss said after Jenkins dropped a pass that had hit his hands. The 49ers' improved receiver depth might keep Jenkins from seeing the field much early on, giving him the time that he needs.

Mario Manningham. The New York Giants' Super Bowl hero cashed in on his star turn, though he likely didn't do it exactly how he thought he would. The contract he was given by the 49ers is worth merely $7.4 million over two years -- not the kind of money a true No. 1 receiver should be getting. The truth is, Manningham wasn't as productive in the regular season as he was when playing with a Super Bowl ring on the line. In fact, he mostly played second-fiddle to Victor Cruz with the Giants. A few months later, Manningham is happy, saying, "I'm glad I came here to play." It sounds like he has embraced the notion that he's one of several options. "Here last year, they didn't really have depth at receiver," Manningham said. "We're deep at receiver right now. You got to come with your hard hat on and compete."

Perrish Cox. Life changed for the former Denver Broncos cornerback this offseason. Acquitted of sexual-assault charges, Cox was snagged by the 49ers, and he's flown under the radar with them ever since. That might be changing for Cox, who has worked himself into position as the second-string cornerback. The day we watched, Cox made a nice tipped interception of quarterback Josh Johnson in team work. He could play inside or outside, giving San Francisco more depth, though if he keeps shining, he could take on a bigger role.

OVERHEARD

"When I first came into this league, I didn't really understand, really, everything that goes on with the NFL. And now that I'm matured physically and mentally, my philosophy is, I do not like (thinking about) what the NFL does for me, I want to know what I can do to make the NFL better. And if that's coming out here teaching the young guys and showing my professionalism and being a leader on and off the field, that's what I want to do, because I think that if we get that type of mindset, it'll make it a better league."

-- Randy Moss, showing off his new focus.

EXTRA POINTS

1. Aldon Smith, who was stabbed at a party that he hosted this offseason, said he felt like he let fans down for being involved in such an incident. Sounds like the light bulb has come on, and Smith is realizing how to be a professional athlete.

2. The talk of who the No. 1 receiver is intrigues me, but opposing defensive coordinators will have the final say. If they have a safety over the top of Moss when play begins, that will truly validate his status.

3. Is there a fiercer-looking front seven than the 49ers'? Pity opposing running backs.

4. Frank Gore looks to be in great shape, but he is 29. Accordingly, I like that the 49ers surrounded him with four legitimate options who can help take pressure off of him. That's how you keep a back young.

5. Man, Harbaugh is feisty. He's never met a question he can't pick apart, a pastime that he seems to enjoy. That kind of feistiness can be fun for reporters, too. But he can't go after everyone who unfairly criticizes his players, or he'll find himself calling in to talk radio shows. That would be a bad idea.

OUTLOOK

The 49ers haven't looked this ready to win since, maybe, 1998. Their defense is strong and physical, made for January. Their offense has so many big-name weapons, we managed to make it through this piece without even mentioning star tight end Vernon Davis. Harbaugh has proven he can win in the NFL. The follow-up to last season could be fun, especially considering that the 49ers are still smarting from that defeat in the NFC title game. The only question is whether Alex Smith can rise to the occasion and find all of his talented targets. If he continues to progress, San Francisco should get a shot to make up for that postseason disappointment.

'netnalp said:
Additional CBS NYG Camp report:

Giants camp report: Champs believe they have all the parts to repeat

By Clark Judge | Senior NFL Columnist

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The New York Giants are confident they can defend their Super Bowl title, but history isn't on their side. Neither are oddsmakers, some of whom make the Giants a 20-1 longshot to repeat.

That doesn't faze this team, nor should it. The last time they were in this position they won 11 of their first 12 games and wound up as the NFC's top seed for the playoffs. OK, so they didn't reach the Super Bowl, but nobody since the 2004 New England Patriots has.

"On paper," said defensive end Osi Umenyiora, "I think we're the best team in football."

Well, they're going to have to prove it ... again.

Team Objectives

• Improve the running game. The Giants ranked last in that department in 2011, and that won't cut it again. As coach Tom Coughlin so carefully pointed out, he wants his team to be "balanced," and it's hard to sell play/action when defenses don't respect your ground game. When the Giants tried to repeat as Super Bowl champions in 2008, they were the league's best rushing attack. That team had Brandon Jacobs AND Ahmad Bradshaw. This team does not. It has Bradshaw and rookie David Wilson and an offensive line that moves David Diehl from left to right tackle and inserts a questionable Will Beatty in Diehl's place.

• Keep turnovers at a minimum. The club missed the playoffs in 2010 when it committed a league-high 42 turnovers. It cut that number to 24 last season and had only one (an interception) in the playoffs when it was a plus-6 in the takeaway/turnover department. That's how Coughlin likes to play football, and he expects more of the same this season. So does quarterback Eli Manning, who had only one interception in 163 playoff throws. "I think [what I want to improve on is] to still cut down on the turnovers," said Manning, who had 16 interceptions last season. "Make sure that whatever happens the ball is in your hands on the next play."

• Remember 2008. The good news there was that they won 11 of their first 12 starts. The bad: They lost four of their last five, including their only playoff appearance. That team included Plaxico Burress, and you can make the argument that his selfishness/stupidity sabotaged the club, and, trust me, there are people who will. All I know is that Burress put his interests ahead of the organization, and the club never recovered from the disruption he caused.

Camp Battles

• Wide receiver: I'm not talking about the starters. We all know that Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz and rookie Rueben Randle are locks. So is Jernal Jernigan, if, for no other reason, than he's young and has return skills. Nope, I'm looking down the depth chart and wondering, for instance, if former third-round pick Ramses Barden makes the cut. He's looked good early in training camp, but the jury is out. It all could depend on what happens with Domenik Hixon, returning after missing two straight seasons with knee injuries.

• Punt returner: There really aren't many undecided positions here, but punt returner could be one. Hixson is a leading candidate, if he stays healthy. So is Jernigan, if he can catch the ball more consistently. Rueben Randle is an outside shot, as is rookie defensive back Jayron Hosely.

Somebody to Watch

• CB Terrell Thomas. He returns after missing all of last season with torn knee ligaments, and he's not just back; he's one of the team's two starting cornerbacks, replacing Aaron Ross. Thomas is a key to the team's success -- remember, he led the Giants in tackles AND interceptions in 2009-10 -- but he's also someone coming off a serious injury. He believes he can be a Pro Bowl cornerback, and so do the Giants -- provided, of course, he's OK, and stay tuned. Prince Amukamara may not be a suitable replacement, and safety Antrel Rolle already has made it known he's not keen on returning as an emergency nickel back. "I was poised last year for a breakout year," Thomas said, "and then getting injured you kind of go unnoticed. I'm going to come back, but I'm going to let my play do my talking." Good idea. He suffered back spasms the first day of practice, but that's OK. It was his back; his knee was fine.

Injury Roundup

• WR Hakeem Nicks (foot), DT Chris Canty (knee), TE Travis Beckum (knee) and LB Clint Sintim (knee) all are on the Physically Unable to Perform list. Beckum, who was hurt in Super Bowl XLVI, is not expected to return until midway through the season -- if, that is, he does return.

• T Will Beatty, who missed the last 10 games last season with a detached retina, injured his back lifting weights in the offseason -- a setback that kept him out of mini-camp and spring workouts. But he's back, he's the starting left tackle and he's nine pounds lighter (he weighs 310). Coughlin said he will be careful with Beatty and that he'll be limited in practices.

• CB Terrell Thomas is coming off a season-ending knee injury but insists he experiences no lingering effects. But he did hurt his back the first day of practice when he suffered a spasm but said his condition is improving.

The Last Word

It's always difficult -- if not improbable -- to repeat as Super Bowl champions, and the Giants know what they're up against. History. Odds. The Philadelphia Eagles. Anyway, they're not dismayed and insist they can repeat as division champions and make another run at a Super Bowl if they do what they did not in 2008 ... or what Plaxico Burress did not ... and stay focused on what they're after.

That was the theme of Coughlin's training camp speech when he stressed improvement from his team -- a good idea since it was 9-7 in 2011 and qualified for the playoffs the last Sunday of the regular season. Those Giants floundered until Week 16, winning as many as they lost. Then they ran the table.

The question, of course, is which team are they: The 7-7 also-ran or the confident and competent club that won its last six. Coughlin reminds players that only they can answer that question.

"The message is well implanted," said Coughlin, "and I think they'll carry it through."

Buccaneers camp report: Schiano aims to bring team back into contention

By Pete Prisco | Senior NFL Columnist

TAMPA -- There is no mistaking who is in charge of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers now, in more ways than maybe we even know.

It's new coach Greg Schiano, who comes from Rutgers with the backing of Bill Belichick (he helped his cause with the Glazer family, the team owners) and a laundry list of new ways to do things after the lax Raheem Morris ways of the past three of seasons.

There is only one way of doing things now, and it's the Schiano way. The first couple of days of camp quickly reminded the players of just that. First, there was a tough conditioning test, which included 16 110-yard sprint with 45 seconds rest in between each of them -- and that was followed by high-tempo practices in searing heat that don't include players walking at any time to any drill, or even a water break.

Dehydration issues have been a part of the early camp for the Bucs with several players needing assistance for that and cramps.

Most NFL teams see special-teams periods as a break for some starters. Not in Tampa anymore. Most of the players now take part, getting a form of conditioning as they do.

Some of the moves the team has made recently also seem to give off the impression that Schiano has a lot more juice in the roster decisions as well -- much like Belichick does in New England.

Brian Price, a second-round pick in 2010, and Dez Briscoe, who led the team in receiving touchdowns last year, are no longer with the team. Price was traded to the Bears after he struggled with the offseason work and the conditioning test. Briscoe was released after missing all of the team's offseason work and failing the conditioning test.

The feeling is that Schiano pushed for those moves, which makes sense since general manager Mark Dominik picked Price and also was proud of plucking Briscoe off the Bengals' practice squad two years ago.

The Bucs are a team that seemed to need more rigid ways. They have a young roster ready to be molded. With Morris last season, they played like a team that lacked discipline, going 4-12 after a 10-victory season in 2010 as many players, quarterback Josh Freeman included, took steps back.

With fan interest waning in Tampa -- and blackouts coming for every game last season -- it's up to Schiano to get this team back contending again for a division title.

It starts with the new approach.

"It's probably emphasized more for a couple of reasons," Schiano said of his strict ways. "One, relative to what it was. Two, because there's the college-pro thing. The reality is we need to establish these habits. We're trying to get where we build a tradition and a legacy where guys pass it down, how we work, how we prepare. The switch going on once you hit the field or hit the classroom. That's really all we're looking for. Is that discipline? Once you get that it builds on itself."

If you win, that is.

Team objectives

• Improve the defense. The Bucs were 30th in total defense last season and they were 32nd in yards per play. That won't win a lot of games -- even in an offensive league. They have to improve the pass rush. They were 30th in sacks per pass play, but they have a young rising pass rusher in Adrian Clayborn, who should be able to get double-digit sacks.

• Run the ball better. Tampa Bay was 30th in the league in rushing, which is why they drafted Doug Martin in the first round last April. He should step in and give them a runner who can be more of a big-play threat than LaGarrette Blount. Adding a big, physical guard like Carl Nicks as a free agent should help the run game. He is a mauler in the run game. Martin has impressed with his offseason work and seemed to glide the day I watched him practice. It would be a shock not to see him getting 20 carries or so per game.

• Improve the giveaway-takeaway ratio. Tampa Bay was last in the NFL with a minus-16 in that category. They turned it over 40 times, which is way too much. The coaching staff thinks Freeman pressed too much last season, which was a big reason for the high number. A new approach to discipline should help.

Camp battles

Nickel corner: The Bucs are set with Eric Wright and Aqib Talib as their starters -- provided they can stay out of trouble -- but the nickel job is open, especially with E.J. Biggers likely out for a month with a foot injury. They will give Myron Lewis, second-year player Anthony Gaiter and rookie Leonard Johnson a chance to take that spot until Biggers gets back. The Bucs will also likely bring in some help.

Projected winner: Hard to say. I would say Gaiter has the lead for now.

Third receiver: With free-agent signing Vincent Jackson in as the top receiver and Mike Williams as the No. 2, it looked as if Arellious Benn would be the third, but he suffered a leg injury that might keep him out all of camp. That would mean that Preston Parker, Sammie Stroughter and Tiquan Underwood are the leaders for now. Parker would seem to be the choice after having a nice season in 2011 with 40 catches, 554 receiving yards and three TDs.

Projected winner: Parker. He seems to fit as an inside slot receiver.

Linebackers: This was a disaster position in 2011. Mason Foster started in the middle last season and struggled. But with camp he should be one starter -- if not in the middle somewhere. Quincy Black had a bad season after getting a big contract, so he needs to bounce back. Second-round pick Lavonte David was one of my favorite players in the draft and should step in as a starter in the Derrick Brooks mold. Najee Goode, Rennie Curran Adam Hayward or Jacob Cutera could bump one of those three.

Projected winners: Foster (middle), Black and David.

Somebody to watch

Dallas Clark caught 100 passes three years ago for the Indianapolis Colts. Since then, he's played 17 games because of injuries. But he signed a one-year deal with the Buccaneers and should be a big part of their offense. Clark played in 11 games last year, suffering a severe wrist injury that included a broken bone and torn tendons. There was some talk he wouldn't play again, but he said that was never the case in his mind. "I always expected to be back," he said. Clark is one of the best pass-catching tight ends in the league when he's healthy and should be a Freeman favorite.

Injury roundup

• Biggers. He missed the 2009 season with a shoulder injury, so he has some history. But the Bucs expect him back in a month or so. They need him.

• Benn. He's out with a knee injury that might not get him back in time for the regular season. He shouldn't miss much more than that.

• Left tackle Donald Penn. He has a strained calf muscle that will limit him for a few weeks. The concern there is that Penn has a tendency to get heavy, which he looked when I saw him, and he doesn't play as well when that happens. Demar Dotson and Jamon Meredith will get work with the starters in Penn's place.

• Second-year defensive end Da'Quan Bowers is one of three players on the PUP list to open camp. Bowers tore an Achilles tendon in May, but the team is holding out hope he might play some this season. Good luck with that.

The last word

I picked this team to go 3-13, but that could increase by four or five more wins if several things happen. They have to get better on defense. Adding first-round safety Mark Barron and Wright will help, but they have to be better against the run. On offense, Freeman has to get back to his 2010 form, which I think he will do.

The NFC South is a tough division and they have some tough non-division games. But if they buy into Schiano's ways, and the passing game can get amped up again, they have a chance to get to .500.

I just think they are a year away, especially in the tough NFC South.

Camp Confidential: New Orleans Saints

By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

METAIRIE, La. -- As he prepares for his third NFL season, it sounds as if New Orleans tight end Jimmy Graham has figured out the secret to NFL success.

"I was told to never tug on Superman’s cape," Graham said.

He was talking about quarterback Drew Brees. Graham noted how the quarterback challenged him to a sprint race at the start of training camp and said he let Brees win. Graham was partly joking, but there was some deep wisdom in his words.

More than ever, the Saints are Brees’ team. They’ve been through an offseason unlike one any other team has faced. They’ve been through the painful drama of the bounty scandal and they’ll move forward without coach Sean Payton, who is suspended for the season, and general manager Mickey Loomis, who is suspended for the first eight games.

Brees, the league's highest-paid player, is coming off a season in which he set a NFL single-season record for most passing yards. No, let other teams try to tug on Brees’ cape. If the Saints really are going to endure all this adversity successfully, they need Brees’ skill and leadership more than ever. They need to ride the coattails of the most positive thing they have at the moment.

Brees knows this high-flying offense as well as anyone, including Payton. The Saints remain loaded at offensive skill positions. There’s little doubt this team still is going to score a lot, and that alone will keep it competitive.

But Brees can’t do everything by himself. Even before the word "bounty" started flying in March, the Saints knew they had to overhaul their defense. That became clear in last season’s playoff loss to San Francisco. That’s why defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo was hired. Predecessor Gregg Williams had a gambling philosophy, going all-out to produce turnovers. The negative side effect was that the Saints gave up too many big plays.

Spagnuolo brings a more balanced philosophy. Sure, he wants turnovers, but he also wants to be able to shut down offenses from time to time. A big theme of this camp is the installation of Spagnuolo’s defense. Even though that’s not his side of the ball, Brees shows a lot of interest in the defense. Even in camp, the Saints are implementing game plans.

“[spagnuolo] is going to try to find every flaw, just like we are going to do to them,’’ Brees said. “Along the way, I am certainly going to be picking his brain as to what he is seeing with our offense, how we can improve. That is how you help one another. That is a habit that we got into, me talking to the defensive guys, even if it is just the secondary guys, saying, 'You give away that blitz whenever you do this.' We are competing against each other, but in the end we are on the same team. I want them to be able to go out and have as much success as possible, just like they want us, on game day, to have as much success as possible.”

Maybe that’s the best way to improve the New Orleans defense. Practice against Superman every day. After you’ve been through that, everything else should be easy.

THREE HOT ISSUES

Mark Ingram’s playing time. Fan expectations for Ingram might be significantly higher than the team's. That’s somewhat understandable, because the Saints traded back into the first round in 2011 to draft Ingram. He played at a college powerhouse (Alabama) and won a Heisman Trophy. Instant stardom was expected by fans, but it didn’t turn out that way in Ingram’s rookie season.

He finished with 122 carries for 474 yards and five touchdowns. Injuries were part of the reason his numbers weren’t bigger. But even before the injuries, Ingram shared playing time with Darren Sproles and Pierre Thomas, and Chris Ivory did a nice job joining the rotation after Ingram’s injury problems started. Ingram had a couple of offseason surgeries and said he’s completely healthy.

But that doesn’t mean Ingram suddenly is going to become a 300-carry guy. New Orleans’ offense is based on diversity, and that’s not going to change. The Saints aren’t going to take playing time away from Sproles, who set an NFL record for all-purpose yards last season, and Thomas is going to play because he has earned it with his performance.

Assuming Ingram stays healthy, I expect him to get more carries than last season, but a 200-carry season for about 800 yards is a reasonable expectation.

Will the linebackers be better than last season? I think they’ll be markedly better. Many believe the season-long suspension of Jonathan Vilma is going to hurt the Saints. If this were two or three years ago, I’d agree. But Vilma was bothered by knee problems last season, and his age seemed to be catching up to him. I think free-agent addition Curtis Lofton is an upgrade over Vilma in the middle. In fact, I think Lofton is pretty similar to what Vilma was two or three years ago. The Saints will be just fine in the middle.

Plus, the Saints didn’t sit still at outside linebacker. They signed free agents David Hawthorne and Chris Chamberlain. It looks as if Hawthorne is well on his way to winning a starting job. That leaves Chamberlain competing with Scott Shanle, Will Herring and Jonathan Casillas for the other starting job. There’s no true favorite here, and Shanle is the fallback option as the safe choice because he’s smart and dependable. But Chamberlain, Herring and Casillas are more athletic and at least come with the possibility of producing big plays. The hope is that one of those three can step forward to win the starting job.

Can the offensive line, minus Carl Nicks, be as good as last season? Nicks took the big money and left for Tampa Bay in free agency. Losing a player many scouts consider the best guard in the NFL must take a toll. But the Saints already had Jahri Evans, who might be the closest thing to Nicks. Loomis did a nice job getting Ben Grubbs to replace Nicks. Grubbs isn’t quite on the Nicks/Evans level, but he’s an above-average player and came at a much lower salary than Nicks. The Saints build their offensive line around the interior, and Evans and Grubbs will form a very strong guard tandem.

Brian de la Puente did a nice job taking over at center last year and should be fine with Grubbs and Evans surrounding him. The tackles are more of a question. The Saints are sticking with Jermon Bushrod on the left side and Zach Strief on the right. They’re serviceable, but Bushrod and Strief aren’t all-pros, and the presence of Evans and Grubbs should be enough to keep this offensive line among the better ones in the league.

REASON FOR OPTIMISM

Spagnuolo’s history. There is legitimate concern about the pass rush, because Spagnuolo likes it to come mostly from his front four. Aside from defensive end Will Smith, who will serve a four-game suspension at the start of the season, the Saints don’t have a proven pass-rusher. Many fans are worked up about the potential of Junior Galette and converted linebacker Martez Wilson. Those guys could turn into something, but maybe fans aren’t looking in the right direction.

Second-year pro Cameron Jordan might be a big factor. Yeah, I know that sounds like a stretch because Jordan had one sack as a rookie, but he was a first-round pick and still has plenty of untapped potential. There’s more than that, though. Look at Spagnuolo’s past. When he became defensive coordinator for the New York Giants in 2007, Justin Tuck had gone through two NFL seasons with one sack. In Spagnuolo’s first season, Tuck had 10. In 2008, Tuck recorded 12.

If Spagnuolo can get anything close to double-digit sacks from Jordan, he may have short- and long-term answers for his pass rush.

REASON FOR PESSIMISM

How much adversity can one team take? The Saints will use all that happened to them in the offseason as a rallying cry, providing strong motivation. But it’s tough for any team to ride one emotion (anger, in this case) for an entire season. This franchise has been through a lot, and you have to worry about that taking a toll at some point.

You also have to worry about the Saints being a target for opponents, especially those who spent the past few months hearing that the bounty program had targeted some of their own players. Then throw in the fact that assistant head coach Joe Vitt, who has run the team in Payton’s absence, must serve a six-game suspension at the start of the season. At that point, the Saints are expected to make another of their assistants the acting head coach. Yes, this is a veteran team with outstanding leadership, but it sure looks like a lot of things are stacked against the Saints.

OBSERVATION DECK

[*]There was a lot of buzz about cornerback Marquis Johnson in the first few days of camp. He made some nice plays and usually was around the ball. The Saints hope second-year pro Johnny Patrick can be their No. 3 cornerback after starters Jabari Greer and Patrick Robinson. But Johnson has a chance to compete with Patrick and may have one slight advantage. The third-year player spent his first two seasons in St. Louis, where Spagnuolo was the coach. Johnson knows the system, and that might be why he’s off to a fast start in camp. If he can sustain it, he’ll have a chance to move past Patrick. At worst, Johnson has a chance to be the fourth cornerback and a key player on special teams.

[*]The Saints have almost an embarrassment of riches at kicker. They have Garrett Hartley back from an injury that kept him out last season and veteran John Kasay, who filled in nicely for Hartley. Hartley and Kasay each have made a lot of big kicks in their careers. Although Kasay is 42, he’s not showing signs of slowing. Hartley has the stronger leg, but Kasay has been a model of consistency throughout his career. The Saints will let this competition play throughout camp. If it ends in a dead heat, it might be the toughest call of all when it’s time to trim the roster. Brought in by Loomis, Hartley has earned a spot in franchise history with some clutch kicks. But Loomis and Kasay go all the way back to the early 1990s, when they were together in Seattle.

[*]There’s been a lot of talk about New Orleans’ young wide receivers early in camp. Adrian Arrington, Nick Toon, Joe Morgan, Andy Tanner and Chris Givens have made spectacular catches. But let’s keep that in perspective. Those catches came before the Saints put pads on and before defenders could hit. The Saints are looking for fourth and fifth receivers, but let’s not anoint any of these guys yet. The preseason games will determine who wins the final roster spots at receiver. Arrington’s entering his third season, and it’s time for him to start showing something. Toon comes in after a solid career at Wisconsin. They probably are the favorites to make the roster at this point. But Morgan, Tanner and Givens might be able to change the pecking order if they can make catches in traffic in preseason games.

[*]The Saints thought they might get an eventual starter when they drafted Charles Brown in 2010. There was even hope that he might turn into the long-range solution at left tackle. That hasn’t come close to happening. Bushrod has settled in nicely at left tackle. The Saints hoped Brown at least would be able to start at right tackle. But that hasn’t happened, either. Strief beat out Brown for the starting job last season. When Strief was injured, Brown got playing time, but his play wasn't pretty. (If you don’t believe me, look at the tape of the loss to the Rams.) The Saints still say that Strief and Brown are competing for the starting job this season, but Strief has received all of the first-team work, and I didn't hear any buzz at all about Brown from coaches. As a matter of fact, I’m not sure Brown even will be on the roster when the regular season starts.

[*]Speaking of offensive linemen who could be on the bubble, don’t forget Matt Tennant. The Saints drafted Tennant in 2010, thinking he'd be the heir apparent to Jonathan Goodwin at center. It hasn’t worked out that way. When Goodwin left via free agency last year, the Saints took an early look at Tennant and quickly signed Olin Kruetz, the former Bears star. When Kruetz abruptly decided to retire, the Saints didn’t turn back to Tennant. They turned to de la Puente, who now has a strong grip on the starting job. Like Brown, Tennant could be fighting for a roster spot. The Saints used to have a good reputation for finding offensive linemen beyond the first round of the draft (Evans, Nicks and Bushrod), but Brown and Tennant may have eroded that trend.

[*]The Saints appear set with Graham and David Thomas at tight end. Graham is a great pass-catcher, and Thomas is a jack of all trades. But keep an eye on Michael Higgins, who spent much of last year on the practice squad before getting promoted to the regular roster late in the season. Higgins already has demonstrated he can block, and showed signs of being a good receiver early in camp. Thomas has had injury problems, and the Saints may not want to overuse him. Higgins could provide another alternative.

[*]There has been talk that strong safety Roman Harper might not be a great fit in Spagnuolo’s defense because he isn’t known for great coverage skills. But I believe Spagnuolo will find a way to make this defense work for Harper. There’s really not an alternative behind him. His backup is Jonathon Amaya, whose only claim to fame is that he was part of the Reggie Bush trade.

CampTour'12: Packers Day 1

By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- A few thoughts and observations after my first day with the Green Bay Packers:

[*]The Packers went at it hard Monday morning: Nearly three hours in full pads in temperatures that quickly approached the high 80s. In case you're wondering, that isn't exactly standard in the NFL. Center Jeff Saturday, who played 13 seasons for the Indianapolis Colts, said: "In Indy, it was a much quicker on-and-off-the-field type tempo. You start earlier, you go through a lot more individual-type work. They go through a lot more fundamentals here, staying on top of that. It's the way they've won and you just fit in and do what you've got to do."

[*]Monday was a red zone emphasis, and the Packers also worked on their two-minute drill. Plenty of action occurred, but what stood out to me was how many times cornerback Davon House showed up. He had a nice anticipatory interception of quarterback B.J. Coleman and also knocked away a pass intended for Tori Gurley in the end zone. I realize those plays came against players not expected to be front-line starters this season, but I can only tell you what I saw. Jarrett Bush continued to work with the first team at cornerback, and there are a number of other players competing for that job from Sam Shields to rookie Casey Hayward. But don't rule out House, who has held his own all camp and got some action in the dime defense Monday.

[*]Receiver Greg Jennings (elbow) sat out practice, giving us an extended amount of time to watch receiver Randall Cobb in action. All I can say is that Cobb looks like a playmaker every time I see him, and I can't see how the Packers can avoid putting him in an elevated role this season. Watching Cobb run down the seam makes other defenders look like they're standing in sand.

[*]Every year, the Packers seem to try new drills I've yet to see in other NFC North locales. Monday was no different. I watched offensive linemen catching footballs from a JUGS machine. The Packers also have a ball-security drill that requires a player to hold on to a ball that's attached to an elastic band and being pulled by a teammate.

[*]Defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove re-joined the team after missing two days because of a personal issue. Asked whether he had any hope of his eight-game suspension being shortened or reversed, Hargrove paraphrased singer Wyclef Jean: "I'll be gone 'til November." Because of the suspension, Hargrove is working only in individual drills. "I think you have to be honest and just prioritize it," coach Mike McCarthy said. "[T]he priority is really to get the other guys ready and individuals who have the opportunity to compete for the 53 and be ready Week 1."

Camp Confidential: Chicago Bears

By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- Summer visitors to Olivet Nazarene University are greeted by navy blue banners promoting the Chicago Bears' training camp. Bears logos are plastered all around town. Marquees invite the hungry and thirsty to patronize local establishments.

In 2012, there was a notable addition to the welcoming committee. Emboldened by a newly fortified offense and a veteran defense that hasn't gotten old yet, the Bears opened training camp with the highest of expectations.

Overt talk of a Super Bowl run hits you from every angle. You see it on a championship prediction posted outside an elementary school near campus. You hear it chanted from 12,000 fans attending practice. You notice the Bears' normally mild-mannered place-kicker drawing powerful conclusions.

"There's no doubt that this year by far is our best chance to win a Super Bowl," kicker Robbie Gould said on the eve of camp . "We have the talent. Yeah, we do have to earn it on the field, but when it comes to putting the pieces together, this is definitely the year that we have the pieces. … I think everyone understands that this is an opportunity and that we might only get that one chance to make it to the Super Bowl and win it."

Indeed, the long-term future of this team is murky, with linebacker Brian Urlacher entering the final year of his contract and five other starters -- including quarterback Jay Cutler, linebacker Lance Briggs, receiver Devin Hester and Gould -- facing a 2013 expiration. But for the short term, the Bears couldn't be more enthused.

"I'm definitely excited about how stacked we are at each position," cornerback Charles Tillman said.

The pieces are in place, and nothing in the early days of training camp suggests otherwise.

THREE HOT ISSUES

1. Adding explosion to offense: I lost track of how many people used a form of the word "explosion" to describe the Bears' hope for their new offense. Offensive coordinator Mike Tice said he wants to be explosive in both the running and passing games, adding, "We have too many athletes not to be able to."

The key to explosive plays -- usually defined as runs of 12 or more yards and passes of at least 16 yards -- is getting those athletes into empty space. Tice has a simple approach to doing that, one he began preaching in the spring and continued during the early days of camp. He affectionately calls it the "Duh offense."

In essence, Tice will give Cutler the responsibility of changing plays at the line of scrimmage based on the "number count" of the defense. If a defense is aligned against the pass, Cutler can call a run. If it is stacked at the line of scrimmage, Cutler will have the ability to switch to a pass. The approach requires the type of balanced personnel the Bears have and produces volume mismatches at the point of attack.

2. Play calling: Tice's experience in developing successful offenses is unquestioned, as is his expertise in matching a scheme with the capability of an offensive line. The one thing Tice hasn't done in 30-plus years in the NFL is be a team's primary playcaller over the course of a season, a task he is preparing for in training camp.

Quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates will relay the call to Cutler during games, but the calls will originate with Tice.

"It's all about rhythm," Tice said. "It's all about good installation. It's about the right balance and making sure you understand what your opponent is trying to do in certain situations. It'll be fine."

3. Defensive assumptions: Optimism about the Bears has been generated mostly by additions they made to their offense, such as receiver Brandon Marshall, running back Michael Bush and Bates. It has been assumed that the Bears' special teams will maintain its annual strength and that an aging defense has at least one more top-level season in it.

Urlacher (34) looked like his usual self after rehabilitating a knee injury all offseason. Defensive end Julius Peppers (32), Briggs (31) and Tillman (31) all appear to be in excellent shape.

"I don't feel like it's my 10th year," Tillman said. "My body doesn't feel like it. My mind doesn't feel like it. I feel good -- mind, spiritually."

REASON FOR OPTIMISM

No one is going to confuse Cutler with Alvin Wong, aka "the happiest man in the world," but Cutler arrived at camp and moved through its first few days with the buoyancy of a man who has been placed squarely in position to succeed.

"This is the most comfortable I think I've been going into a camp with the offense and what we are doing scheme-wise and the talent around me," Cutler said.

Those who know him best agree.

"He looks a lot more comfortable," said receiver Earl Bennett, Cutler's longtime teammate dating to their Vanderbilt days. "He just looks ready to go. He's excited about the new toys he has on offense and the guys surrounding him, and he's just excited about the season."

Arriving at training camp, Cutler said, "was like Christmas."

REASON FOR PESSIMISM

Left tackle is one of the most important positions on a team, and it is one of the Bears' few legitimate question marks. A competition between J'Marcus Webb and Chris Williams is probably Webb's to lose, but at the very least, it's nerve-wracking to launch a Super Bowl run without an established starter to protect a quarterback's blind side.

Webb and Williams alternated with the first team during the practices I watched, and it's clear that Webb has the physical tools to play the position. Williams, on the other hand, hasn't played left tackle in two years and might be a fallback if Webb can't eliminate the mental and technique mistakes that plagued him in 2011.

"We'll turn the heat on both of them," Tice said. "We want to see who is going to block our good pass-rushers."

Competition isn't a bad thing, but the Bears need a winner to emerge, rather than being left to select the less-damaging option.

OBSERVATION DECK

[*]We've discussed the likelihood of Bush serving as the Bears' short-yardage and goal-line back. At 245 pounds, Bush is better suited and has had more career success in that role than starter Matt Forte. But Bush made clear he would rather not be pigeon-holed in that manner. "That's the role I've been stuck with because of my size," Bush said. "If that's what I've got to do, then that's what I've got to do. … No one likes to be a battering ram. It just happens that way." Regardless, it makes too much sense not to give that arrangement a long look.

[*]Cutler and Marshall arrived for lunch together on the first day of practice. They broke open a new critical-thinking board game at night, which Marshall referred to as "Q." (Cutler won the first two games.) Marshall said the pair's much-discussed friendship is "not always fun." He added: "In any relationship, when you take two people from two different places and you put them together, you butt heads. Because sometimes we try to impose our own wills on each other. But sometimes you understand there is no right and wrong. It's just two different people. I think that's when the relationship gets better. With Jay and I, it's always some work."

[*]Perhaps their friendship made expectations unreasonably high, but I was surprised by how many miscommunications Cutler and Marshall had in their first few practices. On Day 1, I counted five passes that either hit the ground or were intercepted because Cutler threw one way and Marshall ran another. We found out in the third practice how little that mattered. Cutler and Marshall put on a show in full pads, wowing fans and players who can't remember the last time the Bears had a true No. 1 receiver.

[*]Tice will undoubtedly use tight ends more in the passing game than predecessor Mike Martz, and the Bears have accumulated an interesting group to deal with. Kellen Davis figures to be the starter, with Matt Spaeth as the top blocker. But it's worth pointing out that rookie Evan Rodriguez, a fourth-round draft pick from Temple, appeared in much better shape than he was reported to be in this spring and seemed to have a knack for turning upfield quickly after the catch. "This game is about explosion," Rodriguez said. (There's that word again.) He added: "Everybody in this league is so fast. You've really got to push to get that five yards, and then after that, it's every inch that matters."

[*]Rookie safety Brandon Hardin is getting work on all four special teams, including a role as the personal protector on punts. And when free safety Chris Conte briefly left practice Saturday night, it was Hardin who stepped in with the first team. "I'm looking forward to helping the team in that special-teams aspect until I get on the field as a safety," Hardin said.

[*]Although there is uncertainty at left tackle, the return of 2011 draft choice Gabe Carimi has added a level of stability to the right side. Carimi reported to training camp in excellent condition, having dropped his weight to 308 pounds and lowered his body fat from 26 percent to 19 percent by changing his diet. "The goal was to have more muscle mass," he said.

[*]The Bears' immediate plans are to use rookie defensive end Shea McClellin as a situational pass- rusher. In that scenario, Israel Idonije would hold a starting spot opposite Peppers. I didn't see any examples of it early in camp, but you wonder if the Bears would be tempted to use Idonije as an inside pass-rusher, with McClellin on the edge, on passing downs. Another candidate to be an inside pass-rusher is newcomer Brian Price.

Dont'a Hightower, Doug Martin among leading rookies

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

It's early. We know it's early. But the first half-week of training camp meant more than the entire OTA and minicamp season combined. We can start to draw conclusions, especially about rookies that are making a quick move up the depth chart. Here are five rookies who stand out early:

1. New England Patriots linebacker Dont'a Hightower: As Albert Breer pointed out, Bill Belichick has lavished praise on Hightower. The last time we saw him praise a rookie this much was Jerod Mayo and that worked out well. Hightower is very intelligent and versatile, two qualities Belichick prizes most. Hightower should start right away and might make a quicker impact than buzzier rookie Chandler Jones.

2. Chicago Bears receiver Alshon Jeffrey: The Chicago Sun-Times reports the big-bodied rookie is "catching everything in sight" and "looking like he's done this before." If that continues, he should wind up being a bigger part of the offense than Devin Hester.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Doug Martin: The Bucs position battle might be over before it started. LeGarrette Blount has been used sparingly. Everyone from the ball boy to the head coach to the beat writers are agog over Martin's ability.

We can't wait to see this kid on the field during the regular season.

4. Houston Texans running back Jonathan Grimes: Texans coaches love undrafted rookie running back Grimes, according to the Houston Chronicle. That's a nugget for fantasy owners to file away just in case. (The Texans know what to do with those undrafted runners.)

5. Patriots running back Brandon Bolden: Running back certainly is a position where you can make a quick impact. Bolden consistently has made noise early in camp. Some have suggested he looks more explosive than last year's second-round draft pick Shane Vereen.

Laurinaitis, Bradford and Rams thoughts

By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Middle linebacker James Laurinaitis likes what he sees standing directly in front of him on the St. Louis Rams' practice field.

New defensive tackles Michael Brockers and Kendall Langford are big, tall men. The team lists Brockers at 6-foot-5 and 322 pounds, which seems about right. The 6-6 Langford is listed at 295 pounds, but he looks every bit as large as Brockers.

Both are taller and considerably younger than the men they're replacing, Fred Robbins and Justin Bannan.

The Rams need them to help improve a run defense that buckled repeatedly last season. The team added Brockers in the first round of the draft. Langford signed from the Miami Dolphins in free agency.

If all goes to plan, the Rams' interior defensive linemen will attract enough attention to free Laurinaitis and the other linebackers to do their jobs without as much interference from opposing offensive linemen.

"When teams have to worry and say, 'Hey, we can't block these guys one-on-one, that’s a big deal," Laurinaitis said. "There are only so many guys who can block. Whether it’s me free or the Will or the Sam or whoever, whenever there is unblocked players in the box, that’s better for our defense."

Additional notes from practice Monday, witnessed by 593 fans on a relatively cool day with some sprinkles from above at team headquarters:

[*]QB watch: Quarterback Sam Bradford is off to a promising start in this camp. I came to St. Louis wondering whether he'd need time to recover mentally and physically from the punishment he took last season. Those questions dissipated quickly. Bradford appears to be moving without limitation. He said his arm feels stronger than it's felt in a long time, and his passing provides supporting evidence. Bradford rocketed one so hard to Danny Amendola that the usually sure-handed receiver couldn't hold onto it. But there were other times when Bradford showed zip, touch and accuracy, including when he connected with rookie Chris Givens in stride for a touchdown.

[*]Ones-on-ones: The Rams seemed to practice quite a bit with their first-team offense against their first-team defense. Defensive ends Chris Long and Robert Quinn are putting pressure on tackles Jason Smith and Rodger Saffold. False starts have been an occasional problem. Saffold had a false-start Sunday. Smith had one Monday. Coach Jeff Fisher yanks linemen off the field when they commit false-start or offside penalties. Barry Richardson replaced Smith following Smith's penalty. Smith replaced Richardson under similar circumstances later in practice. Saffold did buckle Quinn and overpower him on one play, but overall, the defensive ends' quickness has been problematic.

[*]Learning curve: Rookie receiver Brian Quick did a better job securing the football following a reception against tight coverage. A day earlier, cornerback Josh Gordy stripped the ball from Quick after the receiver got a little too casual in his technique. Quick made a couple good catches, as did backup tight end Mike McNeill.

[*]Coaches see all: The Rams were about to run a play when Fisher suddenly spotted a helmet on the ground behind the end zone about 35 yards away. Linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar had set it there briefly. Fisher noticed, stopped the offense and called out for Dunbar to pick it up.

[*]Rookie against rookie: Speed receiver Givens made an impressive initial play on the ball for what was nearly a touchdown, but cornerback Trumaine Johnson, also a rookie, knocked the ball away at the last moment.

[*]Rookie kicker watch: The Rams released veteran kicker Josh Brown after using a sixth-round draft choice for Greg Zuerlein. I haven't been charting field-goal percentages, in part because the goalposts are short and sometimes it's tough to tell from the sidelines which ones would have succeeded. Zuerlein does seem to have a powerful leg. Quite a few of his attempts have smacked hard off the tower from which the team's video department records practices.

On a side note, it was good getting together with @lannyosu, @SGmosportsmag, @STLphenom @ljramsfan at practice. If you'll be out there in the next couple days, let me know at @espn_nfcwest.

Bills' outlook bright, Browns' cloudy

By John Clayton | ESPN.com

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns and Buffalo Bills sit on different sides of Lake Erie. For a change, their fortunes are vastly different.

An easy schedule and a couple key offseason additions give Bills fans hope of possibly the first playoff season in more than a decade. In Cleveland, an unexpected ownership change could redirect what looked to be a positive turnaround of the franchise.

This is football country. Fans are loyal but frustrated. Bills fans have been sticking by their franchise, waiting for something to revive the memories of when Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith and other Bills gave them annual hopes of Super Bowls. The signing of the best free agent available in 2012, Mario Williams, shocked the league and jacked up the fans.

Browns fans still haven't recovered from Art Modell's move of the Browns to Baltimore. On Friday, news leaked that owner Randy Lerner was in negotiations to sell a majority share of the team to Steelers minority owner Jim Haslam, a move that could lead to a major overhaul of a front office that turned the roster young.

While the sun might be shining on the Bills' side of the lake, clouds and questions are lining up on the Browns' side.

Here are three observations from the Browns' training camp:

1. Going green on offense: Thanks in part to last year's Julio Jones draft-day trade, the Browns are making a bold youth movement on offense. Greg Little, Josh Gordon, Travis Benjamin, Trent Richardson and quarterback Brandon Weeden form one of the boldest renovations on offense this league has seen in years. I like the long-term prospects. Former coach Eric Mangini cleaned out what were perceived to be problems in the locker room but left the offense lacking athleticism and speed. The young Browns offense looks potentially explosive and exciting, even though it may take a year or two to become efficient. The most encouraging sign is how second-year coach Pat Shurmur is setting up the passing offense. As offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams in 2010, Shurmur had to set up mostly a three-step drop offense for then-rookie quarterback Sam Bradford. At that time, the Rams were going through receivers like a stadium goes through hot dogs. Even though the Browns' receiving corps is young, Shurmur is working in more five-step drops for Weeden, a sign of confidence in the blocking and the talent at wide receiver. Supplemental draft choice Gordon is raw, but he has the look of a future No. 1 receiver. Little, a second-round pick last year, is a good target, although he's trying to adjust to some work out of the slot. Benjamin is fast. It's a promising group.

2. The Browns believe Weeden is the real deal: Drafted at 28 years old, Weeden was one of the most discussed selections in the 2012 draft. He displays a strong arm and shows a good grasp of Shurmur's system. If the new ownership gives Weeden the chance to grow in Shurmur's offense, Weeden may be the quarterback this franchise has been seeking since it came back as an expansion team in 1999. Unfortunately, ownership changes lead to coaching changes, so Shurmur is on the hot seat in his second season. Weeden isn't, though. He's bigger and stronger than Colt McCoy, so it will be only a matter of a week or two before he wins the starting job. Baseball delayed Weeden's entry into football. He may not be a home run for the Browns, but he's at least double in first impressions.

3. The Browns will be dangerous running left: Richardson was the prize running back in this draft. Seeing him run behind left tackle Joe Thomas and left guard Jason Pinkston is a treat. Thomas is arguably the best left tackle in football, and Pinkston is developing as a guard. Richardson can run well to either side, but each carry to his left offers potential excitement. The Jones trade with Atlanta gave the Browns the draft choice they used on rookie right tackle Mitchell Schwartz. Schwartz is expected to start but like most rookies will take some time to set the proper lane for Richardson.

And here are three observations from the Bills' training camp:

1. The Super Mario effect in Buffalo: Not only did the Bills recruit the best free-agent pass-rusher in Williams, they also signed defensive end Mark Anderson, whom they rated as the second-best available. Many thought it would take two years for the Bills to add a pass rush. Arguably, the Bills have one of the best defensive lines in football. By switching back to a 4-3 scheme that is run by Dave Wannstedt, the Bills allowed Kyle Williams to play at his more natural position of 3-technique defensive tackle. Marcell Dareus, last year's first-round pick, can collapse the middle of a blocking scheme. All of that appealed to Mario Williams. He said he thinks Kyle Williams and Dareus can push the pocket several yards, setting up sack opportunities for him and Anderson. Another positive for the defensive line is that backups Chris Kelsay, Dwan Edwards, Spencer Johnson and Shawne Merriman all have been starters and now only will be asked to be part of the rotation. In 2012, the Bills will go as far as their defensive line takes them.

2. Cornering the market on coverage: The Bills appear to have scored big by drafting cornerback Stephon Gilmore. He's a big, physical player who can challenge every throw from man coverage. In Houston last year, Mario Williams watched Wade Phillips turn a horrible defense into one of the league's best by bringing in three key players -- defensive end J.J. Watt, cornerback Johnathan Joseph and safety Danieal Manning. Gilmore, Williams and Anderson could produce comparable results in Buffalo. Wannstedt knows a good pass rush improves the effectiveness of cornerbacks. Gilmore earned a starting job in Buffalo by his second day in the offseason program. Aaron Williams, a second-round pick last year, may not be as consistent shutting down receivers as Gilmore, but he's a big corner with skills.

3. Chan Gailey's offensive system is hard to figure for defenses: No team spreads the field with four-receiver sets more than the Bills. The great part of the system is that Gailey doesn't need big-name receivers to make it work. He believes he has the smart quarterback in Ryan Fitzpatrick, who can get the ball quickly to receivers in the spread set. Steve Johnson is his best receiver, and the hands of 6-foot-5 David Nelson earned him the chance to be the slot receiver. What was noticeable in practice was how Gailey is still finding weapons. Dorin Dickerson, a tight end/fullback who failed in Houston, is making plays coming out of the backfield. As for Fitzpatrick, new quarterbacks coach David Lee will help maintain Fitzpatrick's mechanics through the season and prevent the second-half slump he experienced last season.

Faust of all, Holy Moly posts!

NFL Network has on going camp coverage, but its very repetitive.

I found the best way to collect info is to "Bookmark" each NFL teams "Media Center" website to your favorites folder. They have highlight videos of every practice. Its best to see it first hand if you have the time. I prefer to see the face of a reporter to get a read on what they are saying. Player/coach interviews are kinda cool too.

Compile these videos with a good news follow on twitter and you should be set.

:popcorn:

Whoa...

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi stated repeatedly on Inside Training Camp Live Tuesday that rookie Vick Ballard will prove the Colts' best running back option this season.We'll wait for preseason action to make any bold predictions on Ballard, but Lombardi is certainly high on the fifth-round pick. Lombardi even says he'd draft Ballard onto his fantasy football team, if he played. "Prototypical NFL runner in terms of breaking tackles, yards after contact," Lombardi described. "He's a sleeper. I'm not a fantasy guy, but I would play him."

Chad Johnson emerges as Miami Dolphins' top receiver

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

Chad Johnson looks like the best wide receiver in Miami Dolphins training camp thus far, according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald. In related news, he wasn't one of the New England Patriots' best six receivers.

The former Ocho's ability to climb the depth chart quickly after missing most of the offseason in Miami says more about the Dolphins than it does about Johnson. But it's an early sign that Johnson is on his way toward making the Dolphins, rather than just improving "Hard Knocks" ratings.

It's also a reminder what an uphill climb the Dolphins' offense has this year. No matter who wins the quarterback job, this just isn't that talented of a group at the skill positions.

A New Era

No one knows if Jahvid Best will play football again. There is a lot of hope. There is a different source of optimism regarding Best’s future every day. There is no medical clearance, however, nine months after Best’s last concussion.

The Lions are waiting for more information from a team of medical experts. They are starting to make alternate plans, moving returner Stefan Logan to running back.

"If this was four or five years ago," Best said, via the Detroit News. "I probably would have played last season. Now that everything's under a microscope, it takes a lot longer."

He’s probably right. If it wasn’t four to five years ago, Jaguars linebacker Clint Session’s career wouldn’t be up in the air. But these are different times.

The Lions said all offseason Best would be cleared for camp. The reality is they just don’t know anymore. No one does.

Position Battling

1. Russell Wilson took the majority of the first-team snaps with the Seattle Seahawks on Monday and reportedly looked sharp. Seahawks coach Pete Caroll is taking this three-way competition thing seriously.

2. Vincent Brown might be the odd man out of the San Diego Chargers' wideout competition. Brown likely will sit and wait for either Malcom Floyd, Robert Meachem or Eddie Royal to get hurt before seeing the field.

3. The good news: Kevin Kolb was listed as the Arizona Cardinals' starter on their first official depth chart. The bad news: He left practice with a thigh injury, however, after a scrimmage in which the team's offense looked sloppy.

Aggressive Jim Harbaugh Quote

"I don't even know what that means. What do you mean by one constant?" Harbaugh responded when asked if Frank Gore was the one constant in the San Francisco 49ers' backfield.

A Good Day for ...

1. Darren McFadden built on a strong OTA season with an impressive first full practice at Oakland Raiders training camp. He's the key to the Raiders' season.

2. Based on multiple reports, Greg Salas is the early riser in the Rams' battle royale at wide receiver. Danario Alexander is hurt and might be running out of time.

Unlucky Team of the Day

A year ago at this time, New York Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas was one of the most underrated and well-respected cornerbacks in the NFL. He was entering a contract year. Two anterior cruciate ligament injuries later, Thomas' 2012 season and career are in question. He signed with the Giants before this year, but that deal contained just $1 million guaranteed.

Last year's first-round draft pick, Prince Amukamara, and 2012 third-rounder Jayron Hosley will be asked to step up. If you are looking for a weakness on the Giants, it might be on the back end which features a lack of cornerback depth and overrated Antrel Rolle.

Not a Good Day for ...

1. The Jacksonville Jaguars paid Laurent Robinson like a No. 1 receiver instead of a journeyman. Perhaps the pressure is getting to him. Coach Mike Mularkey called Robinson out on Sunday for drops, and the receivers continued to struggle to get open Monday.

2. Baltimore Ravens tight end Dennis Pitta looks questionable for the season opener after breaking his hand.

3. As one of the last people left who still thinks Felix Jones could put together a breakout season, I was disappointed to see he failed his conditioning test to start Dallas Cowboys camp Monday. It was not terribly surprising.

4. Michael Crabtree missed his third straight day at 49ers camp. Crabtree remains dead last among all qualifiers in camp-practice percentage over the last three years. (Note: That's not a real stat.)

Users who are viewing this thread