What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**OFFICIAL 2009 CINCINNATI RED LEGS THREAD** (1 Viewer)

BigJohn

Footballguy
With Opening Day in Cinci coming up quick, figured I'd get this year's thread started. I'm a Beisbol Forum lurker and lukewarm baseball fan.

Looks like it's down to Micah Owings and Homer Bailey for the #5 spot.

I was pretty disapointed when I read this morning that the Reds dealt Keppinger to the Astros. I really like watching him play, and he sure added a lot of insurance around the infeild. Dusty did say the player they are getting back is hurt right now, which is why it's a "player to be named later". He seemed pretty happy about the deal, so we'll see.

I think Owings has the 5th start position.

As for Keppinger, I think the Reds probably did him a favor sending him somewhere that he can play. Even if Gonzo stays MIA, I think Hairston is going to play a ton of short. Regardless, looks like either Rosales or Janish is going to make the team now.

All I'm hoping is that this "pitching and defense" team actually learns to play a little defense by April 6th.

>John, you going to Opening Day?

I think Owings has the 5th start position.As for Keppinger, I think the Reds probably did him a favor sending him somewhere that he can play. Even if Gonzo stays MIA, I think Hairston is going to play a ton of short. Regardless, looks like either Rosales or Janish is going to make the team now. All I'm hoping is that this "pitching and defense" team actually learns to play a little defense by April 6th.>John, you going to Opening Day?
Nope. My son took all my vacation time at work and Trogg took all my extra $$$. Little bastards.

The trade of Keppinger was a blessing. Pre-injury, he was a decent fill-in vs LHP, but not at SS. He is a statue and has no business being anywhere near SS imo. He filled a need before he got hurt and hasn't hit a lick since. The fact that WJ was able to trade him (as opposed to cutting him) is quite a feat, imo. The team is better after the trade.

As for the whole team, the pitching is the best we've seen on the Reds, well, in a long, LONG time. The team is still lacking anything that resembles a power RH bat, but I think the rotation is going to keep the team in a lot more games this year.

Lots of if's, but:

- If Harang bounces back to his normal self

- If Votto and Bruce blossom

- If AGon is healthy or the Reds trade for a SS (Joaquin Arias anyone?) with a + defense

- If Cueto and Volquez continue to develop

- If Chris Dickerson can continue what he's shown late last year and in ST

then this team will flirt w/ @ 85 wins this year. If those things don't happen, then it's going to be a long season. But at least we'll get to watch the kids, which is a ton more enjoyable than watching retreads that the Reds have fielded during this long losing stretch. I don't expect anything this year, but all eyes are on 2010, imo.

I'll drink the koo-aid though and hope for 2nd in the division!

Go Reds and I can't wait for Monday!

:) Heading to Opening Day tomorrow! Go Red Legs!!!

(now I have to go dig out my winter coat, gloves, a scarf, and a poncho for the game)

I'm surprised Jonny Gomes got cut. He's nothing special but could be a useful RH bat for a team that needs one.

Judging from his minor league resume, Darnell McDonald is just a guy but Dusty has been known to fall in love with players with tools like him.

It's probably excitement over finally seeing some of the young talent pay off and the rotation start to come together from top to bottom, but I'm looking forward to this season more than any in a very long time.

Weird, because CF, C and the left side of the IF could be trouble and using Taveras' flu as an excuse to keep McDonald over Gomes is equally :confused: .

Here's hoping that Dusty treats the arms right and the top of the lineup plays well enough to score a few runs.

Griffey, Dunn, Lopez and Kearns combine for 4 HRs and an RBI double.

The Reds get two singles and a double. Oh well...161 to go.

:shrug:

Great road trip. I love beating the Cubs. I think its pretty obvious we're going to need more from the offense though to keep this going. Bruce looks ready to pick it up.

Votto is fitting nicely onto my fantasy squads. With him, Markakis, Adam Jones and the like, I'm trying to corner the market on fast, strong, athletic guys who are crushing the ball at a high rate, yet can't seem to gather meaningful quantities of HR's or SB's.

I hate the "small ball" cliche but I love the way this team is playing. Aggressive baserunning is exciting.

Reds fan - does this club have a valid SS of the future?

I mean someone similar to Alonso; Bruce; or Stubbs - for the SS position.

And another question...is Homer Bailey going to pick up next year where he leaves off this season?

Reds fan - does this club have a valid SS of the future?I mean someone similar to Alonso; Bruce; or Stubbs - for the SS position.And another question...is Homer Bailey going to pick up next year where he leaves off this season?
Not even close on the SS question. They have next to nothing there. Help will probably have to come from somewhere else. They have several big bats coming, but they all play the power positions (1st, 3rd, LF, RF).I definitely like Bailey for next year though. He has all the pitches now that he needs to succeed. The only question that remains unanswered is if he can handle any pressure at all if the Reds play meaningful games next year. It seems like he really struggled any time the spotlight was on him. Now that they're playing out the string, he looks great.

Reds acquire Miles in trade with A's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Buster Olney

ESPN The Magazine

The Cincinnati Reds acquired infielder Aaron Miles in a trade with the Oakland Athletics, swapping young infielder Adam Rosales and outfielder Willy Taveras.

The Reds also will get a player to be named or cash, according to sources.

Miles, 33, was a disappointment with the Cubs last season, hitting .185 in 74 games -- and likewise, the 28-year-old Taveras struggled with the Reds, hitting just .240 in 102 games.

The $1.3 million the Reds save with this deal helps offset some of the money they jut committed in signing shortstop Orlando Cabrera.

For Oakland, a primary motivation could be the addition of a useful utilityman who will be inexpensive.

The Athletics had tried and fail to sign Jamey Carroll earlier in this offseason for about seven times what Rosales, 26, will cost.

Known for his high energy, Rosales played all four infield positions in his two years with the Reds.

Miles will be making $2.7 million this season, in the second year of a two-year deal, while Taveras will make $4 million in the second season of his two-year deal.

Reds fan - does this club have a valid SS of the future?I mean someone similar to Alonso; Bruce; or Stubbs - for the SS position.And another question...is Homer Bailey going to pick up next year where he leaves off this season?
Not even close on the SS question. They have next to nothing there. Help will probably have to come from somewhere else. They have several big bats coming, but they all play the power positions (1st, 3rd, LF, RF).
This is not entirely true. The Reds don't have anyone who's super close to ready for SS, but they do have a handful of high-ceiling guys. They're still a couple of years away, but one fellow Reds fan who follows the Reds minors closer than anyone not named Terry Reynolds:
Defensively here is how I would rank them:Plus Plus Defense - Miguel Rojas (described as having the best hands some scouts have ever seen)Above Average Defense with plus potential - Billy HamiltonAbove Average Defense - Markiekson Gregorius (DD)Those are the ones I feel comfortable commenting on.Scouting reports on the others suggest they can play shortstop, but to what extent I am not fully comfortable saying yet.Offensively the best current stick is Henry Rodriguez, but the best upside is Billy Hamilton. I don't think Miguel Rojas ever becomes more of what he was for most of the year, a .270/.330/.350 type of hitter. Gregorius is like Rodriguez, a guy who makes a lot of contact and has good speed. The second best current stick of the group. Arias is interesting. He showed some real good power last season in the DSL after a slow start. I want to see him do something in the states before getting too excited about the bat though.As far as prospects go, I would rank them like this currently - Hamilton, Rojas, Gregorius, Rodriguez (all top 25), Arias, Valor (last two outside the top 40). That certainly could change quickly next season as these guys start playing more, but for now that is how I have it.
The closest to ML ready, though, is Zach Cozart. He has a ML ready glove, but hit bat is the ???. Although he did come on pretty strong in the 2nd half of next season. There is every reason to think that, come 2011, Cozart is the starting SS.

Last edited by a moderator:
thoughts on drew stubbs for 2010? one forecaster i saw had him pegged for 51 SBs. i have him for $10 in an nl-only 4x4 league. i am set with speed with vicotino and fowler, but maybe i can package one for some pop.

with the tavares trade, it now seems possible that stubbs gets 500 ABs.

thoughts on drew stubbs for 2010? one forecaster i saw had him pegged for 51 SBs. i have him for $10 in an nl-only 4x4 league. i am set with speed with vicotino and fowler, but maybe i can package one for some pop. with the tavares trade, it now seems possible that stubbs gets 500 ABs.
I saw something yesterday stating Stubbs would be leadoff with Cabrera going #2. I don't know how that will affect Stubbs numbers, but I think 50 is a stretch this year.

I'm really liking the people they're bringing in, and even better is the people they've gotten rid of. Not guys like tavaras and Encarnacion is going to make the fan experience so much better.

They finally signed Gomes. It makes sense. They weren't exactly in a position to turn down anyone that can hit. Especially a guy who actually wants to be here.

thoughts on drew stubbs for 2010? one forecaster i saw had him pegged for 51 SBs. i have him for $10 in an nl-only 4x4 league. i am set with speed with vicotino and fowler, but maybe i can package one for some pop. with the tavares trade, it now seems possible that stubbs gets 500 ABs.
I saw something yesterday stating Stubbs would be leadoff with Cabrera going #2. I don't know how that will affect Stubbs numbers, but I think 50 is a stretch this year.
Dusty basically confirmed this thinking yesterday. Stubbs/Cabrera 1/2Stubbs is the kind of guy that may be a much better fantasy player than MLB player. Guys who steal a lot, hit for some power, keep a solid avg, and play in a small ballpark are a great combo for fantasy. The Reds just have to hope he improves the OBP and scores runs which are less of a given IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread