What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2008 Jacksonville Jaguars*** (1 Viewer)

Mr. Brownstone

Footballguy
Disappointing end to a pretty good season. There's a lot to look forward to next year. I saw some things in the 2007 team that I haven't yet seen in a Jack Del Rio led team. I'd like to add more to this first post, but I can't seem to find the words, data, or thoughts right now.

Please post all off-season Jaguar related topics in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which vets don't return? Mike Pete has a big salary next year. Reggie Hayward has been hurt. Marcus Stroud might never be the same. Wilford is a UFA I think. And then there's #18....

As far as needs, obviously WR but Mike Walker is coming off IR. Also defensive line depending on losses, and safety.

Garrard has earned my respect. A good story and a good guy with nice skills.

You guys need:

a WR#1

a possession WR (seems to me all of your WRs are built to run deep and/or jump balls, except for Northcutt who has alligator arms)

the OC to let Garrard play his game. A great running game is nice and will keep you in most games, but open the playbook with new WRs and then you challenge "my" Colts for the top spot.

Good luck and see you next year!

That was a game to be proud of last nite. Possibly the best team ever brought their A- game in their own house and the Jags stayed competitive. IMO the Jags made the best (toughest) matchup for the Patriots and came close enough for Jags fans to hold their heads high. If NE continues to play at that level throughout the playoffs, the Colts may be the only team capable of staying within 14 points of the Pats.

From a Steeler fan, see you in the playoffs next year.

P.S.

I hear Chad Johnson may be on the market...

The stat is something like 10 TDs in 40 catches, and maybe its all based on the situations he played in, but don't the Jags have to give Reggie Williams the chance to be one of the top 2 WRs on the team or atleast get him into the game more and give him more opportunities to make plays?

Christopher

DE is almost as big a need as WR. 3.5 sacks from Reggie Hayward isn't getting the job done.

I think LB might have to be addressed also. Mike Pete probably won't be back because he makes a ton and only played 15 games the last two years. I wasn't terribly impressed with Ingram and Durant this year although they had their moments.

In the secondary I think they'll go into next season with Sensabaugh as the starter at safety again and only replace Terry Cousin at nickel. Maybe Starks or Fudge can take that role.

On offense they really don't need an upgrade other than WR. Lewis is going into his 3rd year which often when TEs really start to shine. They may have to start thinking about Fred's age though because they've said that they don't want MJD to be a 20+carry/game guy for a season.

At least the Jags are going into next season with a QB and an OC they can feel good about for the first time in a long time.

cdwood, Reggie has been in the league for 4 years now and has been a starter for most of that time. I'm not sure how much chance you think he should have. He does good things in the RZ and as a blocker, but he's not open very often.

i'm in the minority here, but i don't see WR being a huge need.

the jags certainly don't have the best WR corps in the league or anything, but this season, they've made the plays they were asked to make. from looking at the numbers (like fantasy people do), you'd think the WR corps is not very good, but the jags WRs just aren't asked to do much. the jags run a ball-controlled offense with long drives and spread the ball around.

they have 3 serviceable WRs (williams, wilford, and northcutt) and a wild-card that i'm not ready to give up on (jones).

assuming they don't draft a WR in round 1 (please, God, don't) or make a big trade for a stud, i just don't see anyone we bring in being a huge upgrade.

i'm not sure if the jags appear to lack a big playmaker b/c of lack of talent or b/c of lack of opportunity. this season, the jags WRs seemed to make the plays when called upon.

the larger needs i see are:

-a long-term replacement for peterson

-a 3rd CB for the welker's of the league

-a pass-rusher on the edge (or decide to blitz from time to time)

-a potential stud DT for the future (although i like guys like meier and landri for depth)

-and you can never be too good or too deep on the OL

I think the Jags won't be active in free agency, just because they can't afford the HUGE names like Jared Allen (surely he'll be franchised) or Terrell Suggs. I think they need to continue to draft smart, taking best available talents. The only thing they don't need is a WR. I feel like the combination of Reggie Williams, Dennis Northcutt, Mike Walker and John Broussard can get the job done (we'll see if they re-sign Wilford).

If anything, I could see them spending some money on a middle-tier DE (like they did with Hayward) or a CB (like they did with Brian Williams). I think this offseason, they'll spend the majority of their money re-upping their own guys, obviously Garrard, but possibly Reggie Williams and maybe Khalif Barnes. I wouldn't mind seeing them sign another TE to go with Marcedes Lewis. Maybe it's also time to give some money to MJD to make him a Jaguar for the long haul?

It would be a mistake for this team to panic and think that one player could put them over the top. They should instead go the smart route and continue to build with young guys.

From a fantasy standpoint, it looks like Freddy and MJD are losing Greg Jones, their current fullback. He has voided his contract and wants to get paid

Ask Vic on the Jags website.

Scott from Miami, OK: I was wondering your thoughts on Greg Jones and Bobby McCray. I think Greg is a good, young FB who would be worth re-signing and Bobby is a solid back-up DE who would also be worth keeping, provided they weren't too expensive. How about you?

Vic: The problem is that I think Greg and Bobby each have their hearts set on being too expensive.

i'm in the minority here, but i don't see WR being a huge need.the jags certainly don't have the best WR corps in the league or anything, but this season, they've made the plays they were asked to make. from looking at the numbers (like fantasy people do), you'd think the WR corps is not very good, but the jags WRs just aren't asked to do much. the jags run a ball-controlled offense with long drives and spread the ball around.they have 3 serviceable WRs (williams, wilford, and northcutt) and a wild-card that i'm not ready to give up on (jones).assuming they don't draft a WR in round 1 (please, God, don't) or make a big trade for a stud, i just don't see anyone we bring in being a huge upgrade.i'm not sure if the jags appear to lack a big playmaker b/c of lack of talent or b/c of lack of opportunity. this season, the jags WRs seemed to make the plays when called upon.the larger needs i see are:-a long-term replacement for peterson-a 3rd CB for the welker's of the league-a pass-rusher on the edge (or decide to blitz from time to time)-a potential stud DT for the future (although i like guys like meier and landri for depth)-and you can never be too good or too deep on the OL
I agree with this 110%. I'm really excited to see my fellow ex-UCF alum Mike Walker get back from the IR. A couple of questions to some Jags fans more in the 'know' than myself: What are the Jags plans about TE? Do they feel Wrighster will be back by training camp? Also, I feel it's time to part ways with Matt Jones. He has shown some good flashes here and there but is just not worth the salary. I had no idea Brian Williams was in the double-digit million range....wow.

i'm in the minority here, but i don't see WR being a huge need.the jags certainly don't have the best WR corps in the league or anything, but this season, they've made the plays they were asked to make. from looking at the numbers (like fantasy people do), you'd think the WR corps is not very good, but the jags WRs just aren't asked to do much. the jags run a ball-controlled offense with long drives and spread the ball around.they have 3 serviceable WRs (williams, wilford, and northcutt) and a wild-card that i'm not ready to give up on (jones).assuming they don't draft a WR in round 1 (please, God, don't) or make a big trade for a stud, i just don't see anyone we bring in being a huge upgrade.i'm not sure if the jags appear to lack a big playmaker b/c of lack of talent or b/c of lack of opportunity. this season, the jags WRs seemed to make the plays when called upon.the larger needs i see are:-a long-term replacement for peterson-a 3rd CB for the welker's of the league-a pass-rusher on the edge (or decide to blitz from time to time)-a potential stud DT for the future (although i like guys like meier and landri for depth)-and you can never be too good or too deep on the OL
I agree with this 110%. I'm really excited to see my fellow ex-UCF alum Mike Walker get back from the IR. A couple of questions to some Jags fans more in the 'know' than myself: What are the Jags plans about TE? Do they feel Wrighster will be back by training camp? Also, I feel it's time to part ways with Matt Jones. He has shown some good flashes here and there but is just not worth the salary. I had no idea Brian Williams was in the double-digit million range....wow.
I did read where Mike Walker had another knee procedure .. which might be troubling. He could be a beast if healthy.

I did read where Mike Walker had another knee procedure .. which might be troubling. He could be a beast if healthy.
Supposedly, it was just a clean-up procedure.

the jags certainly don't have the best WR corps in the league or anything, but this season, they've made the plays they were asked to make. from looking at the numbers (like fantasy people do), you'd think the WR corps is not very good, but the jags WRs just aren't asked to do much. the jags run a ball-controlled offense with long drives and spread the ball around.

they have 3 serviceable WRs (williams, wilford, and northcutt) and a wild-card that i'm not ready to give up on (jones).

assuming they don't draft a WR in round 1 (please, God, don't) or make a big trade for a stud, i just don't see anyone we bring in being a huge upgrade.

i'm not sure if the jags appear to lack a big playmaker b/c of lack of talent or b/c of lack of opportunity. this season, the jags WRs seemed to make the plays when called upon.

-a potential stud DT for the future (although i like guys like meier and landri for depth)

FWIW, he showed a few lapses in coverages/tackling during a couple of their prime time games , but overall he played really well this year. I thought he had a better year than Mathis.

Jeff Tefertiller said:
AllVolUT said:
:football: I had really high hopes for him and still do.

:thumbdown:

Pretty big shake-up in the front office. I had a feeling that some changes were coming after the Garrard decision worked out.

Charlie Bailey Out

Edited to add:

I just read this from PFT (yeah, I know) concerning the status of Shack Harris:

HARRIS GETS DEMOTED?

Though the article in the Florida Times-Union focuses more on the departure of Charles Bailey from the Jaguars organization, the bigger news seems to be that former V.P. of player personnel James “Shack” Harris apparently has been demoted.

Gene Smith is the team’s new executive V.P. of pro and college scouting. Harris is the V.P. of pro personnel. These two titles suggest that Smith has broader duties, and greater authority.

The move isn’t surprising, given that coach Jack Del Rio went all in with the decision to dump quarterback Byron Leftwich and elevate David Garrard to starter. Harris, as the rumor mill went, had long resisted demoting Leftwich. So when Del Rio’s gamble paid off, the status of Harris took a major hit.

And it could be that Del Rio used some of his new juice to finagle the change.

Our guess? Harris will look for other opportunities, and the team won’t stand in his way if he finds them.

List of Jacksonville Free Agents - 2008

Code:
Pos	  Player Name	FA Status	  Previous TeamQB 	Quinn Gray 		  UFA 	Jacksonville JaguarsRB 	Fred Taylor 		UFA 	Jacksonville JaguarsRB 	LaBrandon Toefield  UFA 	Jacksonville JaguarsWR 	Ernest Wilford 		 Signed 	Jacksonville JaguarsTE 	Jermaine Wiggins	UFA 	Jacksonville JaguarsOT 	Mike D. Williams	UFA 	Jacksonville JaguarsDL 	Paul Spicer		 UFA 	Jacksonville JaguarsLB 	Chris Claiborne	 UFA 	Jacksonville JaguarsLB 	Kenneth Pettway	 RFA 	Jacksonville JaguarsSS 	Sammy Knight		UFA 	Jacksonville JaguarsFS 	Gerald Sensabaugh   RFA 	Jacksonville Jaguars

i wish this would've happened in time to at least give the jags a chance to interview rob ryan from oakland.

(i no very little about his skill as DC, but i'd like to give anyone a chance who looks like he just stepped out of a biker bar.)

i'm guessing some guys internally will get a look at this point.

a larger issue is that this might be the time to consider a 3-4 approach, or at least mix it in.

it seems like the jags are one of the only top defenses that use a 4-3 100% of the time.

and it would appear that now would be a good time to make a switch (if we ever will) b/c it seems like the days of having both stroud and henderson healthy and on the field at the same time are pretty much over.

i'm also biased having just watched the 3-4 chargers make peyton look stupid and then give tom brady fits.

Well, I've been trying to register with the Jags message boards, but I never get the verification email that allows me to post questions.

Any Jags homers care to comment on Mike Smith? Consensus on the Jag boards is positive, it appears he's made folks happy as a DC. Is he head coach material? Should I be happy or concerned? Some fans on Falcons boards are concerned because they feel he ran a really vanilla defense against the Pats in the playoffs, and never made any adjustments.

Would love to hear any comments you guys have.

Smith has been very reluctant to blitz the last couple years, not just the Pats games. As noted above, he relies on the 4-3.

On the positive side, he's done a good job at bringing along younger players and has been able to insert younger players rather seamlessly (see Durant and Ingram).

Even though they only rush four, it's not a read and react defense. The linemen try to be disruptive and the corners usually play up.

To be honest, I have no idea what to expect of him as a HC. He has stayed out of the headlines even locally.

Well, I've been trying to register with the Jags message boards, but I never get the verification email that allows me to post questions.Any Jags homers care to comment on Mike Smith? Consensus on the Jag boards is positive, it appears he's made folks happy as a DC. Is he head coach material? Should I be happy or concerned? Some fans on Falcons boards are concerned because they feel he ran a really vanilla defense against the Pats in the playoffs, and never made any adjustments.Would love to hear any comments you guys have.
He is a players coach and they love playing for him. He prepares his personnel well. He has stayed out of the limelight, so I couldn't offer too much on that aspect. For the most part, I would be happy if I were a Falcons fan. As far as the lack of adjustments in the NE game, he switched repeatedly from a 4-3, to a 3-3-5, to nickel and threw in some blitzes. They just got no pass rush from their down lineman or from their blitzers in the game. It's just hard to see positive results when the opposing teams QB had all day to throw.

i guess hiring/promoting a new defensive coordinator has just risen to the top of the off-season list.any ideas?
Rex Ryan, Gregg Williams as outsiders, Dave Campo or Mark Duffner internally. I really like what Ryan could bring to this team (as well as considerations for Terrell Suggs :confused: ) but wouldn't mind Duffner. I think he will be a fine DC.

Very curious to hear Jags homers opinions on this video from Marcelus Wiley. There's a link to the video here: ESPN Look for Wiley: Smith didn't lead Jags D.

He basically says Smith was a figure head, and that JDR was the real DC and, most disturbingly, if not JDR, than the LB coach. Literally called him a puppet.

:violin:

Very curious to hear Jags homers opinions on this video from Marcelus Wiley. There's a link to the video here: ESPN Look for Wiley: Smith didn't lead Jags D.

He basically says Smith was a figure head, and that JDR was the real DC and, most disturbingly, if not JDR, than the LB coach. Literally called him a puppet.

:mellow:
I'm not sure what to take from Wiley's comments.Here's a take from Vic Ketchman:

"Yeah, ESPN is reporting that Smitty’s gonna get the job. That’s great news. We’re all happy for him. Replacing him will be a tall order. Don’t minimize Mike’s contribution to this defense. He and Jack Del Rio held this thing together the last couple of seasons when injuries took a heavy toll. Truth be known, the personnel on the field wasn’t that good the last two seasons, but the coaching was fantastic."

Thanks for that. Jags MB seems to hold the consensus that Wiley has an axe to grind and that, while it's likely true that Smith was almost assistant DC to JDR, that he was not the wallflower that Wiley suggests he was.

While Wiley is blowing the statement out of proportion, there is some truth to this. The level of play from the linebackers is really what carried the team thus far, and it became evident moreso this year than last. Duffner really did a hell of a job with Ingram in 2006 and Durant in 2007 as they filled in crucial gaps in the defense. For him to take raw rookie talent and evoke production within a few months shows a very high level of coaching. One could even claim that Daryl Smith has progressed each of the last two years.

JDR loves what Duffner is doing. As I expressed earlier, he may be able to coach up players better than Campo, which could be a priority considering the lackluster tackling and passiveness that the D showed this season.

i wish this would've happened in time to at least give the jags a chance to interview rob ryan from oakland.(i no very little about his skill as DC, but i'd like to give anyone a chance who looks like he just stepped out of a biker bar.)i'm guessing some guys internally will get a look at this point.a larger issue is that this might be the time to consider a 3-4 approach, or at least mix it in.it seems like the jags are one of the only top defenses that use a 4-3 100% of the time.and it would appear that now would be a good time to make a switch (if we ever will) b/c it seems like the days of having both stroud and henderson healthy and on the field at the same time are pretty much over.i'm also biased having just watched the 3-4 chargers make peyton look stupid and then give tom brady fits.
I can't imagine the Jaguars moving to a 3-4 defense. The Jaguars don't have the personnel to run a 3-4 and won't be radically changing their defense in the middle of a playoff window they have going for the next 3-4 years. Not to mention JDR has a big influence on their defense. I think the only thing you could see changing is the Jaguars move more to a Tampa 2 type of defense (which they ran plenty of this season anyway).I opined earlier I didn't think they'd make a big run in free agency, but I'm starting to change my mind. I think they think they're one or two pieces away, and they might make a run at somebody like Terrell Suggs or Asante Samuel. Maybe there's a big-time safety out there who I don't realize they could go after.The 3-4 isn't what gives Brady and Peyton fits, it's pressure, which they couldn't produce against the Pats. Look at the teams that came close to beating the Pats - the Eagles and Ravens, most notably. They made Brady move around, and he's not very good at throwing on the run like a guy like Roethlisberger or Garcia. They need a pocket, and teams like that blitz like crazy and disrupt. The problem with the '07 Jags, is they simply didn't have enough of a pass-rush to produce such disruption.I can't see them giving up the necessary draft picks to get somebody like Jared Allen, but I could defintely see them grabbing Terrell Suggs if he's available. Mike Smith isn't a huge loss, but he was a big part of what made them good. I think he amounted to essentially a very good defense play-caller, a good run/pass guesser if you will. I expect a guy like Campo/Duffner to be named DC.

i wish this would've happened in time to at least give the jags a chance to interview rob ryan from oakland.(i no very little about his skill as DC, but i'd like to give anyone a chance who looks like he just stepped out of a biker bar.)i'm guessing some guys internally will get a look at this point.a larger issue is that this might be the time to consider a 3-4 approach, or at least mix it in.it seems like the jags are one of the only top defenses that use a 4-3 100% of the time.and it would appear that now would be a good time to make a switch (if we ever will) b/c it seems like the days of having both stroud and henderson healthy and on the field at the same time are pretty much over.i'm also biased having just watched the 3-4 chargers make peyton look stupid and then give tom brady fits.
I can't imagine the Jaguars moving to a 3-4 defense. The Jaguars don't have the personnel to run a 3-4 and won't be radically changing their defense in the middle of a playoff window they have going for the next 3-4 years. Not to mention JDR has a big influence on their defense. I think the only thing you could see changing is the Jaguars move more to a Tampa 2 type of defense (which they ran plenty of this season anyway).I opined earlier I didn't think they'd make a big run in free agency, but I'm starting to change my mind. I think they think they're one or two pieces away, and they might make a run at somebody like Terrell Suggs or Asante Samuel. Maybe there's a big-time safety out there who I don't realize they could go after.The 3-4 isn't what gives Brady and Peyton fits, it's pressure, which they couldn't produce against the Pats. Look at the teams that came close to beating the Pats - the Eagles and Ravens, most notably. They made Brady move around, and he's not very good at throwing on the run like a guy like Roethlisberger or Garcia. They need a pocket, and teams like that blitz like crazy and disrupt. The problem with the '07 Jags, is they simply didn't have enough of a pass-rush to produce such disruption.I can't see them giving up the necessary draft picks to get somebody like Jared Allen, but I could defintely see them grabbing Terrell Suggs if he's available. Mike Smith isn't a huge loss, but he was a big part of what made them good. I think he amounted to essentially a very good defense play-caller, a good run/pass guesser if you will. I expect a guy like Campo/Duffner to be named DC.
Good posting 417.

My brother mentioned to me that it was rumored in the Jax paper that the Jags might move Reggie to corner. This would open up the FS position to Brian Williams, where he had started his career, and would allow the Jags to pick up another safety who could battle with Sensabaugh.

Any backing to this JaxBill or MrB...?

My brother mentioned to me that it was rumored in the Jax paper that the Jags might move Reggie to corner. This would open up the FS position to Brian Williams, where he had started his career, and would allow the Jags to pick up another safety who could battle with Sensabaugh. Any backing to this JaxBill or MrB...?
This has been mentioned a couple of times. They've done it in the past successfully with Rashean Mathis. I think that it makes a lot of sense, too. I'd like to see Reggie compete for the RCB position in camp.

My brother mentioned to me that it was rumored in the Jax paper that the Jags might move Reggie to corner. This would open up the FS position to Brian Williams, where he had started his career, and would allow the Jags to pick up another safety who could battle with Sensabaugh. Any backing to this JaxBill or MrB...?
This has been mentioned a couple of times. They've done it in the past successfully with Rashean Mathis. I think that it makes a lot of sense, too. I'd like to see Reggie compete for the RCB position in camp.
Yeah, Vic has been on the move Reggie to corner bandwagon. I still think they need to draft another young corner because they need a nickel back.

Really? heck if you could manage to pry Moss from the Pats and draft a couple of pass rushers, I'd say you could be the team to beat next year. You have a very strong running game with no WR to stretch the D and have the safeties out of the box. Go hard on Moss and your O is set. Draft two pass rushers and generally your D is set.

Really? heck if you could manage to pry Moss from the Pats and draft a couple of pass rushers, I'd say you could be the team to beat next year. You have a very strong running game with no WR to stretch the D and have the safeties out of the box. Go hard on Moss and your O is set. Draft two pass rushers and generally your D is set.
obviously, someone like randy moss would be great.my main point was that it's hard to tell (for me) just how much a WR upgrade is needed, given the way the jags play.

the jags style of play doesn't lend toward big numbers for WRs. they shorten games. they strive to create long, ball-controlled drives, generally only passing when they need to. and when they do throw, they don't go down the field as much as other teams.

along with this, the jags have 4 fairly similarly talented WRs and only have 2 of them on the field quite often.

obviously, the question is: do they utilize a heavy ball control offense b/c they want to? or do they do it b/c the WRs suck and can't create separation?

i honestly have no idea. the way games are filmed, usually you can only see portions of a WR's route. generally, you're seeing the QB and the WR only after the ball is thrown.

if i could see the routes, i still don't know how well i could evaluate their talent (but i'm sure i'd pretend i could).

from what i've seen with my limited ability to evaluate talent, the jax WRs this season have appeared to be sparingly utilized guys that have made the plays when they needed to be made. it even seemed to me, early in the season, that the jax coaching staff was reluctant to believe in garrard's talent themselves (when any QB goes 2 months without throwing a pick, conservative pass play-calling is surely a factor)

the main evidence that they might suck is JDR playing musical chairs with them. assuming that none of them is an all-world talent, their ability to separate from the pack (though reggie williams appears to be on the way) points lackluster ability and/or effort. it's still hard to know how to read into that.

personally, i just don't know what would happen if the jags just decided to fling the ball all over the field, and i assume the jags will remain a ball-control team for the forseeable future.

given that, i am skeptical that anything outside of a major upgrade (moss caliber) would make any difference at all. and i don't see a major upgrade happening.

JaxBill said:
Mr. Brownstone said:
AllVolUT said:
Yeah, Vic has been on the move Reggie to corner bandwagon. I still think they need to draft another young corner because they need a nickel back.
Absolutely. Terry Cousin just won't cut it anymore.

I'm another person who is high on mike walker. With all due respect to reggie williams I think walker can be the wr you guys have been looking for since jimmy smith retired. I'm just wondering why we didn't hear more about UCF when he and marshall played together

JaxBill said:
Mr. Brownstone said:
AllVolUT said:
You guys don't think Scotty Starks can get it done? Granted I haven't been able to analyze Starks as well as ya'll, but I would think that a pass-rushing DE would be more of a necessity than another CB...?

I'm another person who is high on mike walker. With all due respect to reggie williams I think walker can be the wr you guys have been looking for since jimmy smith retired. I'm just wondering why we didn't hear more about UCF when he and marshall played together
We are really, really hoping that Mike Walker can fully recover from his knee injury and can become the #1 WR that is envisioned for him. I think the reason that you didn't hear more about Walker and Marshall at UCF is because the program wasn't exactly a haven for the national spotlight. Also, both Walker and Marshall split time between offense and defense during the collegiate careers at UCF.

JaxBill said:
Mr. Brownstone said:
AllVolUT said:
You guys don't think Scotty Starks can get it done? Granted I haven't been able to analyze Starks as well as ya'll, but I would think that a pass-rushing DE would be more of a necessity than another CB...?
I watch Scott Starks play and I have wondered the same thing. But I keep coming back to this question- How has he not beat out Terry Cousin? But it must be said that the coaching staff would know better that me though.

I think scott starks is a fine nickle corner. It always puzzled me why Cousin was in on more packages, but i hope the front office doesn't see him as a long term alternative.

I'd like to see Reggie stay at FS personally. I like the possibilities that this draft class is offering at the CB position and Reggie wouldn't have to relearn a new position. Remember, the FO has been advocating the move of Brian Williams to SS for quite some time now. Recall that we really wanted Darelle Revis during the draft and made a move to grab him (unsuccessful). I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen again.

I think scott starks is a fine nickle corner. It always puzzled me why Cousin was in on more packages, but i hope the front office doesn't see him as a long term alternative.

I'd like to see Reggie stay at FS personally. I like the possibilities that this draft class is offering at the CB position and Reggie wouldn't have to relearn a new position. Remember, the FO has been advocating the move of Brian Williams to SS for quite some time now. Recall that we really wanted Darelle Revis during the draft and made a move to grab him (unsuccessful). I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen again.
Assuming he's learned his current position. :hifive: I'm an advocate of drafting a CB in the first round. Of course, outside of a QB, I would welcome drafting a player in the first round at any position. I do hope it's on D though (specifically DE or CB).

Assuming he's learned his current position. :yucky: I'm an advocate of drafting a CB in the first round. Of course, outside of a QB, I would welcome drafting a player in the first round at any position. I do hope it's on D though (specifically DE or CB).
I thought I saw strides towards the end of the season. That said, the magnifying glass was on the secondary this season foremost because of poor tackling but probably due in part to the lack of pass rush that the Jaguars generated. I think these problems diminish if we can stay healthy at the dline positions. Push up the middle was almost nonexistant until the playoffs and the edge rush was mainly docile for the season.Also Donnie Henderson is now becoming part of the staff on Friday. His role was not yet disclosed but IIRC, it has been stated that he will not be the DC. Thankfully.

Speculation is that, due to his extensive work as a DB coach/secondary coach, he will fill that role--further implying that Campo's role will be shifting, possibly to the DC spot.

A preemptive move which I like, IMO he is a better COACH than Campo. But i'm not sure I like Campo as a DC. If the Jags stay in-house, I like Duffner much more.

Assuming he's learned his current position. :penalty: I'm an advocate of drafting a CB in the first round. Of course, outside of a QB, I would welcome drafting a player in the first round at any position. I do hope it's on D though (specifically DE or CB).
I thought I saw strides towards the end of the season. That said, the magnifying glass was on the secondary this season foremost because of poor tackling but probably due in part to the lack of pass rush that the Jaguars generated. I think these problems diminish if we can stay healthy at the dline positions. Push up the middle was almost nonexistant until the playoffs and the edge rush was mainly docile for the season.Also Donnie Henderson is now becoming part of the staff on Friday. His role was not yet disclosed but IIRC, it has been stated that he will not be the DC. Thankfully.

Speculation is that, due to his extensive work as a DB coach/secondary coach, he will fill that role--further implying that Campo's role will be shifting, possibly to the DC spot.

A preemptive move which I like, IMO he is a better COACH than Campo. But i'm not sure I like Campo as a DC. If the Jags stay in-house, I like Duffner much more.
Good info there. As stated, whenever you can pick up a former head coach/coordinator and isolate them to a single position (Tice and Campo), that is a good hire IMO. What are the chances the Jags stay in-house w/ a guy like Duffner or Campo, as opposed to picking up a hot commodity like Rex Ryan?On a side note, I liked Mike Smith's inauguration speech for the Falcons today. In case you missed it, he preached about character being the defining factor due to the balance in the league - a characteristic the Falcons organization seems to lack.

Some Shack Harris "news" as per PFT.

HARRIS LOOKING TO GET OUT OF JACKSONVILLE?

Buried in an item regarding concerns of the Fritz Pollard Alliance as to the Falcons’ recently-completed searches for a new G.M. and a new head coach is a statement that seems to suggest that Jags V.P. of player personnel James Harris is looking for a pathway out of Jacksonville.

Per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Fritz Pollard Alliance recommended Harris, Seahawks director of pro personnel Will Lewis, and Lions assistant G.M. Martin Mayhew for the G.M. job that was filled by former Pats director of college scouting Tom Dimitroff. None of the three were interviewed.

Surely, the FPA wouldn’t have recommended Harris if Harris didn’t want to be recommended. The fair inference is that Harris wanted to be recommended, and thus that he wants out of Jacksonville.

If Harris doesn’t have final say over personnel, he’d be able to leave the Jags, since the G.M. job in Atlanta entails final say. But Harris used to have final say in Jacksonville, at least as to the draft. So if he still has final say, he couldn’t have left, unless the Jags allowed him to do so.

Last week, Harris received a contract extension. But he likely has experienced a drop in his overall influence in light of the dismissal of pro personnel director Charles Bailey and the elevation of Gene Smith. The likely cause? Harris steadfastly supported quarterback Byron Leftwich, who was cut in August. His replacement, David Garrard, came on strong in 2007, vindicating coach Jack Del Rio’s “all in” gamble.

I think it's been pretty obvious for a while that Harris is on his way out. It spoke volumes that he wasn't at the Leftwich press conference, and the Gene Smith promotion/Charles Bailey firing puts the writing on the wall. Even if he keeps a job, he won't have much say in anything.

As for DC, I can't imagine they'd go after a high-profile guy after they just added Henderson to the staff. It seems like Duffner or Campo as DC for sure.

I'm curious - who does everyone think would be the best fit in the Jaguars system to free agency? I want Terrell Suggs, just because Jared Allen is too much risk and would certainly cost some sort of draft pick. A corner would be OK, but I think Rashean will get healthy this offseason, and they'll get much better play out of their safeties this season, whether it's Sensabaugh returning, a lower-cost free agent, combined with the hopeful development of Reggie Nelson.

Users who are viewing this thread