What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 1/6 Select Committee thread*** (1 Viewer)

It's not like he has asked a war criminal to do him a favor. Again. 

Trump ask America's most hated political world leader to dig up dirt on Biden during the bloody invasion of Ukraine. Always has been  and always will be about his own ego and himself.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/29/trump-putin-hunter-biden-00021223

There goes that defense. 

I'm sure there's some similar traitorous events that AOC, Bill Clinton, Pelosi, BLM did that makes this a-okay.   

ETA

Changed event to events as both of these should be treason not to mention plenty of other things like trying to overthrow the country and prevent the transition of power to Biden.  Save the honky tonk about "my team" too.  My team is the USA even though historically it has been horrible to my people. Having just written that, I wish Obama was never elected because I did have the audacity to hope and thought the country was on a better path for my children, grandchildren and soon, great grandchild. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There goes that defense. 

I'm sure there's some similar traitorous events that AOC, Bill Clinton, Pelosi, BLM did that makes this a-okay.   

ETA

Changed event to events as both of these should be treason not to mention plenty of other things like trying to overthrow the country and prevent the transition of power to Biden.  Save the honky tonk about "my team" too.  My team is the USA even though historically it has been horrible to my people. Having just written that, I wish Obama was never elected because I did have the audacity to hope and thought the country was on a better path for my children, grandchildren and soon, great grandchild. 
It was a perfect interview. People came up to him afterwards with tears in their eyes and said, "Sir, Hunter Biden cannot continue to be allowed to remain in power for one more second. Sir, you must call on Russia again to dig up dirt on your political enemies."

The Department of Justice has expanded its criminal investigation into the Jan. 6 Capitol attack to look at the financing and planning of a preceding rally attended by former President Donald Trump, people familiar with the matter told The Washington Post.

The rally was held at the Ellipse near the White House, with organizers pushing the false claim that the November 2020 election had been stolen from Trump. The Postreports that in the past two months, a federal grand jury in Washington, D.C., has issued subpoena requests for people who helped plan, fund, and run the rally. :clap:

Going to take a loooonnggg time but at least it has started. A Grand Jury has some teeth.

No mention of Don Jr's texts?

WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump Jr. texted White House chief of staff Mark Meadows two days after the 2020 presidential election with strategies for overturning the result if Trump’s father lost, CNN reported Friday.

The text was sent two days before Joe Biden was declared the winner, according to CNN. It reportedly laid out strategies that then-President Donald Trump’s team pursued in the following months as they disseminated misinformation about election fraud and pressured state and federal officials to assist in that effort.

The cable news network reported that Trump Jr.’s text made “specific reference to filing lawsuits and advocating recounts to prevent certain swing states from certifying their results.” It also suggested that if those measures didn’t work, lawmakers in Congress could dismiss the electoral results and vote to keep President Trump in office.

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1514965744353787913

NEW: Newly uncovered texts show Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) begging the Trump White House for talking points to justify stealing the election in November 2020: “Please give me something to work with. I just need to know what I should be saying. Please tell me what I should be saying.”

Neat.
And this is why the Republicans don't want to engage in debates. They don't want to have to answer questions on topics such as this.

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1514965744353787913

NEW: Newly uncovered texts show Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) begging the Trump White House for talking points to justify stealing the election in November 2020: “Please give me something to work with. I just need to know what I should be saying. Please tell me what I should be saying.”

Neat.
I'm not super familiar with Mike Lee, but my limited recollection is that, from what I'd seen of him over the years, he was sort of a Justin Amash-style principled constitutionalist, not the sort of person who'd put up with anti-democratic shenanigans.

Was my impression of him way off base, or are his texts being quoted out of context here?

I'm not super familiar with Mike Lee, but my limited recollection is that, from what I'd seen of him over the years, he was sort of a Justin Amash-style principled constitutionalist, not the sort of person who'd put up with anti-democratic shenanigans.

Was my impression of him way off base, or are his texts being quoted out of context here?
Lee voted no on both Trump impeachments so I’d say he is willing to put up with anti-democratic shenanigans.

Republicans who are opposed to anti-democratic shenanigans are the exception, not the rule. Mike Lee is fully on board with his party's tactics that make it more difficult to vote and the electorate's representation in Congress worse.

The more and more that comes out, (that it seems the committee is deliberately leaking) the worse it looks. I guess I can sort of understand now why no one wants to do a debate,  on that side. Gonna be a lot of "Do you agree with this crazy stance" among all the other crazy stances. 

The more and more that comes out, (that it seems the committee is deliberately leaking) the worse it looks. I guess I can sort of understand now why no one wants to do a debate,  on that side. Gonna be a lot of "Do you agree with this crazy stance" among all the other crazy stances. 
The first hour of the first debate could be questions about Jan 6.

Republicans who are opposed to anti-democratic shenanigans are the exception, not the rule. Mike Lee is fully on board with his party's tactics that make it more difficult to vote and the electorate's representation in Congress worse.
While I have no time for Sen Lee I will give him a small sliver of credit for voting to certify Biden’s win Jan 6 and Rep Roy as well. But shame on both of them for not voting to impeach or convict.

your impression was off

Seditious bastards…

Just days before J6, Jason Sullivan, a former aide to Roger Stone, held a conference call to help organize it where he said Trump will not allow Biden to take office and will declare a “limited form of martial law.”

This call was reported on by the NYT.

This is the actual call.
Yeah, he gestured a Hillary hanging at a QANON conference  ---  what a guy

Amused to Death said:
The first hour of the first debate could be questions about Jan 6.

The first 500 days of the election cycle should be questions about Jan 6 and the associated plot to overturn the 2020 election. It is literally the only domestic issue that matters. It doesn't matter if a politician makes a short-term pledge to fight climate change or do this or that about COVID or criminalize abortion or fund or defund police or whatever other nonsense people want to fight about, if we have no means of holding our leaders accountable for their actions in office or collectively expressing the will of the people. 

As some people know I've been away from this forum a while, and the biggest surprise for me when I returned is that there isn't more talk about January 6 and the attempt to destroy democracy. Pretty much everything in this forum is irrelevant if we've lost the power to change things.

I think we've discussed Jan. 6 in great detail, gb. In addition, there have been substantive discussions on related election matters, like ease of voting, gerrymandering and representation structures in general. Not enough for my peculiar tastes, to be sure, but the debates are ongoing.

It's a topic that has always been a pretty fair reflection of this board's posters' worldviews, imo.

I think we've discussed Jan. 6 in great detail, gb. In addition, there have been substantive discussions on related election matters, like ease of voting, gerrymandering and representation structures in general. Not enough for my peculiar tastes, to be sure, but the debates are ongoing.

It's a topic that has always been a pretty fair reflection of this board's posters' worldviews, imo.
Good to know, thanks.

I don't have a lot of hope that it will get the treatment it deserves in the run-up to the midterms, but hopefully once Trump announces his candidacy every politician will be forced to clearly state where they stand on efforts to destroy American democracy.

dozer said:
Seditious bastards…

Just days before J6, Jason Sullivan, a former aide to Roger Stone, held a conference call to help organize it where he said Trump will not allow Biden to take office and will declare a “limited form of martial law.”

This call was reported on by the NYT.

This is the actual call.
Bonus points to the scumbags who defend fascist ####s like Roger Stone and the Koch brothers.  These men are scum and are destroying democracy as we know it, all it the name a a few dollars more.

Good to know, thanks.

I don't have a lot of hope that it will get the treatment it deserves in the run-up to the midterms, but hopefully once Trump announces his candidacy every politician will be forced to clearly state where they stand on efforts to destroy American democracy.
Hopefully the expose comes sooner, as part of the resistance, versus later as part of the crystalnach or the night of the long knives.

Bankrupt and facing prosecution gets him talking. 

Alex Jones Reaches Out to Justice Dept. About Jan. 6 Interview

Alex Jones, the host of the conspiracy-driven media outlet Infowars and a key player in the pro-Trump “Stop the Steal” movement, is in discussions with the Justice Department about an agreement to detail his role in the rally near the White House last Jan. 6 that preceded the attack on the Capitol.

Through his lawyer, Mr. Jones said he has given the government a formal letter conveying “his desire to speak to federal prosecutors about Jan. 6.”

As a condition of being interviewed by federal investigators, Mr. Jones, who is known for his rants about the “Deep State” and its supposed control over national affairs, has requested immunity from prosecution.

Bankrupt and facing prosecution gets him talking. 

Alex Jones Reaches Out to Justice Dept. About Jan. 6 Interview

Alex Jones, the host of the conspiracy-driven media outlet Infowars and a key player in the pro-Trump “Stop the Steal” movement, is in discussions with the Justice Department about an agreement to detail his role in the rally near the White House last Jan. 6 that preceded the attack on the Capitol.

Through his lawyer, Mr. Jones said he has given the government a formal letter conveying “his desire to speak to federal prosecutors about Jan. 6.”

As a condition of being interviewed by federal investigators, Mr. Jones, who is known for his rants about the “Deep State” and its supposed control over national affairs, has requested immunity from prosecution.
So, this guy's current ploy is: "I have up till now refused to talk to you regarding my illegal behavior surrounding Jan. 6 2021 but, now I'll tell you everything I know if you promise not to imprison me."

My opinion: Forget it. You had your chance. Now you want special treatment? Nope. Tell the truth, do less time than you would if you lie. Period.

So, this guy's current ploy is: "I have up till now refused to talk to you regarding my illegal behavior surrounding Jan. 6 2021 but, now I'll tell you everything I know if you promise not to imprison me."

My opinion: Forget it. You had your chance. Now you want special treatment? Nope. Tell the truth, do less time than you would if you lie. Period.
I guess it depends on what information he has and who it implicates. I don't know how that works....is it tell us what you have and we will see or  a promise made to give immunity but then he has nothing of significance? or holds back on what he actually knows?

NBC News: Raskin said the committee will present "evidence" that proves there was coordination among Trump and his inner circle and his supporters who attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6.

Rolling Stone Article

Jan. 6 Committee Findings Are So Explosive They Will ‘Blow the Roof Off the House,’ Rep. Jamie Raskin Says

NBC News: Raskin said the committee will present "evidence" that proves there was coordination among Trump and his inner circle and his supporters who attacked the Capitol on Jan. 6.

Rolling Stone Article

Jan. 6 Committee Findings Are So Explosive They Will ‘Blow the Roof Off the House,’ Rep. Jamie Raskin Says
I remember this about Russia as well.  This pre release "blow the roof off" horn has been sounded once before.  So I will wait and see.  Seems the Democrats have a bad habit of crying wolf and then ending up having nothing .

Time will tell.  

Rolling Stone Article

Doesn't matter.  There could be a recording of Trump instructing his supporters to kill Pence when they reached him and the MAGA base and GOP members would blow it off.

Rolling Stone Article

It. Won’t. Matter.   Trump could be caught on tape wearing a shirt saying “I want to overthrow the government” standing at a white board mapping out exactly how he will get rioters to help subvert the transfer of power all while laughing saying he’ll get away with it and it won’t change any opinions of what happened.  Excuses will be made and nothing will change.  

My take on what the plan was and how it played out:

1. Create a big enough distraction at the Capital to stop the proceedings.

2. Have them specifically target Pelosi and Pence and have secret service take them away from the Capital and refuse to let them come back based on security risk.

3. Grassley takes over for Pence and under the pretense of multiple slates of electors, refuses the accept the electors from enough states to send it back to the House to decide.

4. The House vote is 1 vote per state and re-elects Trump as President.

5. Trump declares martial law to break up the mob at the Capital because the national guard was never called in.

What happened and why the plan fell apart

1. The mob violence was excessive and never supposed to get to that point. Most involved were not part of any organization and were just enthusiastic Trump supporters. Those involved in the planning never expected it to get to that point and called on Trump to end it. But Trump was loving it and thought it would work.

2. Pence refused to leave because he knew the plan and that he would never make it back.

3. The excessive violence made it impossible hold back the call for the national guard.

We will find out that a large group in the administration, Congress and the media knew this plan. We will also find out that there were separate factions that knew about more excessive plans beyond what the general group knew. Coordination between the Proud Boys, etc will show that what happened was no accident and they may have intended to kill some of the targets. Members of Congress helped them try to achieve their extreme measures.

And nothing will happen to any of them.

2. Have them specifically target Pelosi and Pence and have secret service take them away from the Capital and refuse to let them come back based on security risk.

3. Grassley takes over for Pence and under the pretense of multiple slates of electors, refuses the accept the electors from enough states to send it back to the House to decide.

5. Trump declares martial law to break up the mob at the Capital because the national guard was never called in.

1. The mob violence was excessive and never supposed to get to that point. Most involved were not part of any organization and were just enthusiastic Trump supporters. Those involved in the planning never expected it to get to that point and called on Trump to end it. But Trump was loving it and thought it would work.

2. Pence refused to leave because he knew the plan and that he would never make it back.

3. The excessive violence made it impossible hold back the call for the national guard.

We will find out that a large group in the administration, Congress and the media knew this plan. We will also find out that there were separate factions that knew about more excessive plans beyond what the general group knew. Coordination between the Proud Boys, etc will show that what happened was no accident and they may have intended to kill some of the targets. Members of Congress helped them try to achieve their extreme measures.

Sadly yes

Lee voted no on both Trump impeachments so I’d say he is willing to put up with anti-democratic shenanigans.
I'd say that the truth was somewhere in the middle. When Lee said "give me something to work with," I think he was asking for evidence, not talking points. He needed to see something tangible before he would agree to put up with any shenanigans. IMO.

Sadly yes

Come on guys.  If all of the above is shown beyond a reasonable doubt then there will be consequences.

Personally I not believing someone planned for a mob to interfere with proceedings but not be violent.  I mean that's like the dumbest plan ever and makes zero sense.

Come on guys.  If all of the above is shown beyond a reasonable doubt then there will be consequences.

Personally I not believing someone planned for a mob to interfere with proceedings but not be violent.  I mean that's like the dumbest plan ever and makes zero sense.
Skepticism abounds, rightfully so. There were zero consequences for withholding military aid to Ukraine in a quid-pro-quo ploy to manufacture dirt on a political opponent. There were zero doubts about the facts surrounding that episode. Zero consequences. That is just one example of zero consequences suffered for corrupt actions made by DJT. The next time he is held accountable will be the FIRST time.

Skepticism abounds, rightfully so. There were zero consequences for withholding military aid to Ukraine in a quid-pro-quo ploy to manufacture dirt on a political opponent. There were zero doubts about the facts surrounding that episode. Zero consequences. That is just one example of zero consequences suffered for corrupt actions made by DJT. The next time he is held accountable will be the FIRST time.

IMO there's a big difference between digging up dirt on an opponent which most politicians have been involved in and taking over the government.  Also presidents have always been cut slack when in office, especially by their side of the aisle.  Just look a Bill Clinton if you have any doubt.  There's zero doubt he committed perjury and sexual harassment while in office.  Trump doesn't have the office as a shield anymore.

IMO there's a big difference between digging up dirt on an opponent which most politicians have been involved in and taking over the government.  Also presidents have always been cut slack when in office, especially by their side of the aisle.  Just look a Bill Clinton if you have any doubt.  There's zero doubt he committed perjury and sexual harassment while in office.  Trump doesn't have the office as a shield anymore.
I hope you are right. My skepticism will remain until I see him actually held accountable. He may not have the protection of the office any more but, he certainly has cover within the majority of the GOP. That is undeniable presently.

I think a lot of people involved had no expectation of anything happening. They were continuing to entertain Trump’s belief that he still had a chance. Some probably knew there was a chance of it happening and others (think Stone and Flynn) wanted it to be worse.

I think you are close.  I think they were assuming ANTIFA/BLM would show up and pick a fight. That was going to be the catalyst to move Pence and/or institute martial law.  Violence was always supposed to be part of the plan, just not violence in the capitol.

I apologize but, I need to address this post again.

I don't care if digging up dirt on one's political opponent is a time honored tradition or not. It should never be accepted as an excuse, or legitimate reason, for withholding congressionally approved military aid to a foreign ally. There are no sides here. Failing to abide by the order(s) of Congress is punishable by removal from office.

As far as Bill Clinton goes, he should have been removed from office for lying. I don't care what their excuse was, the Democrats failed the American people by not completing the impeachment process. 

I am not speaking specifically to you Bass when I say the following but, I'm speaking to everyone who clings to their side of politics while slinging crap on the other side: 

The events of J6 should never be looked at through the lens of partisanship. They should be viewed through the lens of being Americans and knowing what our constitution stands for. It does not stand for partisan theatrics, nor does it stand for corruption or governmental coups. The events of J6 are/were an astonishing affront to Americans of all walks of life, of all political philosophies. I am embarrassed to have lived during this time where 35-40% of Americans think that day was "no big deal."

Users who are viewing this thread