What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nick Foles (1 Viewer)

azgroover

Footballguy
So is anyone doing a buy and stash yet? The kid definitely has the measurables. I didn't see much of him in the preseason, but he always looked the part in college despite playing on some lousy teams.

If Vick keeps turning it over, Foles could be the first University of Arizona QB to throw a pass in the NFL since 1973. :eek:

Vick won't last much longer. He holds onto the ball way to long and deserves the beatdowns he receives. ###### cost me a win this week with that ####### move on 3rd and goal. The guy sucks. Won't be on the team next year,t hat is for sure. They aren't going to pay that ridiculous 2013 salary.

I thought he looked ok in preseason but not spectacular. He showed solid arm strength and accuracy, which is a pretty good sign this early on. His reads were only so-so, imo. I felt he attempted some fairly high risk throws - with mixed results. I also didn't get a good feel for how he would deal with pressure - he doesn't seem like a very athletic QB. So I think he's still far from NFL ready.

As bad as Vick has looked I don't see Foles taking over this year unless Vick gets hurt. He seemed too raw. Nonetheless, as an owner of Foles and not Vick in dynasty I was pretty happy with his preseason performance overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
In dynasty leagues, sure. In redrafts? It'd have to be a really deep league. With that o-line and atrocious playcalling, whoever they roll out for qb is going to get roughed up.

As an Eagles fan that never followed Foles in college, is he their next QB or just another later round pick that will be cut or a backup in a few years.

Pre-draft I tought the best comparable was Matt Schaub -- and coincidentally he was selected in almost the same spot. Then his pre-season work pretty much sold me. So I've stashed him in about half my dynasties, with the idea that he'd be in the running in 2013. But I've gotten the feeling early in the season that he'll see some action this year now even if Vick doesn't get himself killed.ETA: my comments from February...

Because my data only goes back ten years it's fairly rare for two guys to be almost exact matches. Especially at relatively low volume positions like QB and TE. Most of the time there are just too many variables in the mix to find spot on comps. But Nick Foles and Matt Schaub are dopplegangers. Right down to Foles' inexplicable projection as a third round pick. He may not pan out, but he's a much better bet than Tannehill, Cousins or Weedan.

Pre-draft I tought the best comparable was Matt Schaub -- and coincidentally he was selected in almost the same spot. Then his pre-season work pretty much sold me. So I've stashed him in about half my dynasties, with the idea that he'd be in the running in 2013. But I've gotten the feeling early in the season that he'll see some action this year now even if Vick doesn't get himself killed.
This pretty much echoes my thoughts on Foles. Always thought he was a good value pick in dynasty leagues. He was productive on some very mediocre Arizona teams. Took a beating behind a weak OL and never complained or gave up. Nobody will mistake him for Luck or Locker athletically, but he has a big frame and enough arm strength. I like his chances to be a decent player in Philly's friendly system.

I would love to hear what other dynasty owners think about this guy.
I own Vick in a few Dynasty leagues and after week 1 I went and picked up Foles in every one of those leagues including a league I don't have Vick.I did this based on Vick's performance, injury history and after I examined his contract which in the end was not really a 6 year $100 million deal but really a 3 year $32.5 million dollar deal. Those guarantees are up after this year so unless his play picks up dramatically I think he ends up getting released.Now that's good news for Foles of course as he showed enough in the pre-season to make me inclined to think he's the future. Only problem I see in getting to carried away in Foles value is the Eagles system under Andy has been extremely QB friendly for fantasy success. So while Vicks poor play might open up a starting spot for Foles it might also help lead to the dismissal of Reid at which point who knows what kind of system they would run.

In dynasty leagues, sure. In redrafts? It'd have to be a really deep league. With that o-line and atrocious playcalling, whoever they roll out for qb is going to get roughed up.
Definitely a dynasty stash. Could be the Eagles QB next year and I put the odds of that greater than 50/50. If Foles gets playing time this year, it will be due to a Vick injury not benching. The only way a healthy Vick is on the bench is if the Eagles fall out of contention.To address your play calling comment, for whatever reason Reid always goes to a balanced attack (with success) when starting a backup. When his starter is playing (McNabb/Vick) he's always pass-heavy to a fault.

Looked like a dam All-Pro in the preseason.. I wish my Eagles were 0-3 so his bandwagon could be larger. Vick is a bum that everyone loves to defend because he looks cool on TV. It's not the O-Line or the play calling, it's the bum making the decisions with the ball that's killing us.

As a Bills fan, I would love to see Vick traded to Buffalo to see what Chan Gailey could do with him.

As a Bills fan, I would love to see Vick traded to Buffalo to see what Chan Gailey could do with him.
Didn't Buffalo court Vick when he was a free agent? Thought I remembered that Vick had no desire to come play at the Ralph. I'd like to see that as well, but until the yearly Fitzpatrick implosion, I don't think the Bills are adding a QB.

Looked like a dam All-Pro in the preseason.. I wish my Eagles were 0-3 so his bandwagon could be larger. Vick is a bum that everyone loves to defend because he looks cool on TV. It's not the O-Line or the play calling, it's the bum making the decisions with the ball that's killing us.
:lmao: :lmao: Reminds me of that old anecdote that said Nixon won the debates on radio, Kennedy on TV.

Definitely a dynasty stash. Could be the Eagles QB next year and I put the odds of that greater than 50/50. If Foles gets playing time this year, it will be due to a Vick injury not benching. The only way a healthy Vick is on the bench is if the Eagles fall out of contention.To address your play calling comment, for whatever reason Reid always goes to a balanced attack (with success) when starting a backup. When his starter is playing (McNabb/Vick) he's always pass-heavy to a fault.
I posted this in the Eagles thread. A quote from Reid regarding how secure Vick's job is. Maybe it is time for a pre-emptive stash in redrafts :unsure: "Right now, we're with Michael and that's what we're doing," Reid said Monday after the Eagles' 27-6 loss at Arizona. "We'll evaluate it as we go."

link

:drive:

Questions about Eagles quarterback Michael Vick holding onto the starting job were inevitable after another dismal loss and Vick isn’t pretending they don’t exist.

Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com reports that Vick said that coach Andy Reid is “obviously” thinking about making a change at quarterback and “if he makes that decision, I support it.”

Frank got Vick to expound on his thoughts about potentially losing the job.

“It’s tough when you know everything is up in the balance, but that’s the decision that coach is thinking about making, and I’m going to fight until he says, ‘Come on out,’ and he takes me out of the game,” Vick said. “Despite everything that’s been said the last couple weeks, I still continue to put in the hard work and the effort and try to do everything I can to prepare and win football games, man. I can’t do it by myself. I would love to stay in there and finish what I started. It would mean the world to me. But, hey, that’s not my decision right now.”

Reid said that he will go back and “look at everything” when asked about making a change at quarterback. Vick was 21-of-35 for 191 yards and a touchdown on Sunday, a performance that didn’t feature any of the turnovers that plagued the first six games but still prompted Reid to say “he can play better.”

He recorded the fifth-highest completion percentage ever by a rookie, the second-best interception ratio ever by a rookie and the third-highest passing total at 243 yards per game. His completion percentage this year was higher than all 23 Hall of Fame quarterbacks their rookie year, he threw for more yards per game than all 23 Hall of Fame quarterbacks, and his passer rating was higher than 18 of the 23 Hall of Famer QBs compiled as a rookie. - (csnphilly.com)

Considering how much younger and cheaper Foles is compared to Alex Smith, The Eagles must really value Foles by not shipping him to KC. Is he the leader of the next great high pace NFL offense or just a misfit like mainstream media believes?

He recorded the fifth-highest completion percentage ever by a rookie, the second-best interception ratio ever by a rookie and the third-highest passing total at 243 yards per game. His completion percentage this year was higher than all 23 Hall of Fame quarterbacks their rookie year, he threw for more yards per game than all 23 Hall of Fame quarterbacks, and his passer rating was higher than 18 of the 23 Hall of Famer QBs compiled as a rookie. - (csnphilly.com)

Considering how much younger and cheaper Foles is compared to Alex Smith, The Eagles must really value Foles by not shipping him to KC. Is he the leader of the next great high pace NFL offense or just a misfit like mainstream media believes?
Or perhaps they got too cute and overplayed their hand by asking for too much. Maybe KC liked Smith a lot better. Can't read this as an automatic stamp of approval of the Eagles for Foles since we don't really know what the negotiations were or what the parties involved were thinking.

Foles will be traded!
I dont see where. Teams complain about Sanchez but he is going to be given every chance again to succeed this year. I see Kolb there as insuranceMaybe you think Jags but they got a young QB they seem to be pleased with and I dont see a trade thereKC has taken care of the issue. Even though they might draft one in early 3rd or 4th if they drop like they did in Andy D and friends mockMinny grabbed Cassell as they got a young guy in Ponder already and brought in vet help. That leaves Arizona who does not seem to have a proven QB. But they are drafting one also or Buffalo but I think Nassib is a forgone conclusion there.

Users who are viewing this thread