What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

new workplace gripe - they are taking away a week's vacation. ***UPDATE: UNresolved.*** (1 Viewer)

moleculo

Footballguy
long story short - I have an email from the former director of HR stating I am entitled to 5 weeks of vacation after 7 years of employment. That email was 2 days after I started in 2016. The current director of HR apologizes for her predecessor's "misstating company policy", and claims I should only get 4 weeks.

The policy also states we should get 2 weeks in our first year, yet per my original offer letter, I received 3. So, either company policy was different back then or they went outside of policy to recruit me.

What is my recourse?

Last edited:
I would think your recourse is either accept the one week less of vacation time or look for a new job.

:shrug:

You've viewed the policy document yourself? When was it last revised? If it was since your hire, I'd find what the stipulations are for people already employed under the previous policy. If there is no stipulation, you may be SOL.

You've viewed the policy document yourself? When was it last revised? If it was since your hire, I'd find what the stipulations are for people already employed under the previous policy. If there is no stipulation, you may be SOL.
I have seen it. What I don't have is a copy of the policy from 2016 when I was hired. I had a conversation with HR shortly after I started, and was confused about calendar year vs accrued year. I emailed her for clarification and she corrected me - explicitly highlighting 200 hours of PTO in 2023.

I don't have documentation for the policy in 2016 - foolishly I assumed I could trust my company's HR department to keep track of that.

oh, I'm looking, believe me. This is but the most recent bit of BS they are pulling.
I'd look into what the general policy was when you were hired, and if/when it was amended for starters. Do you have a superior that you report to that would step in?

oh, I'm looking, believe me. This is but the most recent bit of BS they are pulling.
I'd look into what the general policy was when you were hired, and if/when it was amended for starters. Do you have a superior that you report to that would step in?
he's no help. He's barely holding onto his job right now anyways. This companies management from my supervisor up is and has been a ****show since day 1. Lots of potential to get it together, but the only reasons I stuck around this long are (1) I wanted to be a part of the rebuild and (2) the generous vacation policy. Neither of those turned out to be viable.

Does your employment offer letter include language along the lines of “this offer letter is not a contract of employment” or that “your employment is at will”?

Edit: Also, is the bit about receiving five weeks of vacation after 7 years in your offer letter, or was it just in the email from the HR person?

Generally, employers are free to change vacation policies, or even eliminate paid vacation altogether. Some state laws will protect against the forfeiture of accrued vacation, meaning if you have x number of vacation days earned in the bank, those can’t be taken away (or you have to be compensated for them if they are). But if what you’re talking about is an employer reducing your prospective vacation entitlement (i.e., vacation hours you haven’t yet accrued), it’s unlikely you would have a claim if you are an at will employee.

Did the previous HR director actually misstate your employer's policy? If so, I would be ticked, but I couldn't really fault the firm for correcting the mistake.

If this is just retroactively changing the policy in a passive-aggressive way, I would do what Dr. Octopus suggests and just give yourself a guilt-free vacation at work. Regardless of the law in your state, I would consider that to be (philosophically at least) a breach of contract, and it's fine for you to take your pound of flesh. This assumes that you're in a position where you can safely dog it for a day or two here and there with no consequences. If you're a commercial airline pilot or work in a Minuteman silo or something, please disregard.

This may be terrible advice, but I’d be pretty tempted to write something like:

“My personal agreement when accepting employment was clearly with the understanding that I would receive 5 weeks of PTO after 7 years of employment as clearly expressed in writing by the previous HR director in email dated X despite what may have been company policy. If the company no longer finds it feasible to provide the agreed upon vacation time as part of my compensation package, I would be happy to discuss viable compensation alternatives in replacement of this additional week.”

But also, yeah, as bb indicated, you’re probably screwed legally unless it was specifically written into a contract.

Just because you started with an extra week doesn't mean you keep an extra week. My last company started employees with 1 week vacation and then after 5 years, you got 3 weeks. I negotiated an extra week when I started but at 5, I still only went to 3 weeks.

Does your employment offer letter include language along the lines of “this offer letter is not a contract of employment” or that “your employment is at will”?

Edit: Also, is the bit about receiving five weeks of vacation after 7 years in your offer letter, or was it just in the email from the HR person?
It's an employment at will. The vacation accrual schedule is not on the offer letter, just how many weeks I got year 1.

It's an employment at will. The vacation accrual schedule is not on the offer letter, just how many weeks I got year 1.
I'm no lawyer but you are out of that time off. It's gone

Did the previous HR director actually misstate your employer's policy? If so, I would be ticked, but I couldn't really fault the firm for correcting the mistake.

If this is just retroactively changing the policy in a passive-aggressive way, I would do what Dr. Octopus suggests and just give yourself a guilt-free vacation at work. Regardless of the law in your state, I would consider that to be (philosophically at least) a breach of contract, and it's fine for you to take your pound of flesh. This assumes that you're in a position where you can safely dog it for a day or two here and there with no consequences. If you're a commercial airline pilot or work in a Minuteman silo or something, please disregard.
I don't believe it was a misstatement...but I can't document that. To be fair, my current HR director has not provided any evidence of what the policy was in 2016 either.

To @bigbottom 's point - I'm likely going to get screwed because they probably have a legal right to change whatever they want whenever they want. that being the case, I do know I am entitled to personal time not tracked as vacation, and I'll be damned if I stay past 5:00 again.

I don't believe it was a misstatement...but I can't document that. To be fair, my current HR director has not provided any evidence of what the policy was in 2016 either.

To @bigbottom 's point - I'm likely going to get screwed because they probably have a legal right to change whatever they want whenever they want. that being the case, I do know I am entitled to personal time not tracked as vacation, and I'll be damned if I stay past 5:00 again.
Yep. I've worked with people who would have given me the shirt off their back if it came down to that, and I was always happy to go to war with those people. I would work on weekends, work on academic holidays, etc. no problem.

Now, of course, we're older and we no longer have to hustle. There's definitely that, and I would be lying/delusional not to acknowledge that it's comparatively easy for a middle-aged middle-manager to coast if one is so inclined. I am not so inclined, and I would prefer to do real work, but I don't feel passionately about it.. If we're going to go by the letter of my contract, cool. That works both ways. I'm fine with that arrangement too, especially at this point in my life. I am looking for an off-ramp that will ease me toward retirement. If my employer tells me in so many words (as yours is doing) that I should perform my contractual obligations and that's all, no worries.

I'm no lawyer but you are out of that time off. It's gone
I am a lawyer but not in this specific field. (Labor, federal sector not private, and not legal advice). Yeah, I think you’re screwed. You can fight it / advocate for yourself but is it worth it when you’ll probably lose?

Ridiculous and shortsighted by the company.
I’ll play devil’s advocate. What if it really was a misstatement? Morale could potentially take a hit if one employee gets a full extra week of vacation every year over everyone else who has been there 7+ or 10+ or 15+ years because an HR person made a mistake in an email 7 years ago. Of course, it sounds like it’s a possibility that he’s been getting an extra week of vacation for the last seven years per his employment offer (going outside policy to recruit him), so history would suggest that perhaps no one else knows or no one else cares.

That said, it’s a crappy situation to be sure, and were I in that position, I would do my utmost to negotiate for that additional week or for some other benefit to make up for it.

I’ll play devil’s advocate. What if it really was a misstatement? Morale could potentially take a hit if one employee gets a full extra week of vacation every year over everyone else who has been there 7+ or 10+ or 15+ years because an HR person made a mistake in an email 7 years ago. Of course, it sounds like it’s a possibility that he’s been getting an extra week of vacation for the last seven years per his employment offer (going outside policy to recruit him), so history would suggest that perhaps no one else knows or no one else cares.

That said, it’s a crappy situation to be sure, and were I in that position, I would do my utmost to negotiate for that additional week or for some other benefit to make up for it.
I'm mostly with Z here, but yeah this is a very good point. It is possible that the previous HR person actually did screw up and this person is just fixing the mistake. That's a thankless position to be placed in, but it's important.

That said, we don't know any of the people involved so we have to ask ourselves which is more likely? That an HR director blatantly misstated the firm's policy on paid leave, a policy that many people have memorized and would get insta-corrected by a swarm of HR drones and budget types, and that error somehow not only went uncorrected but was actually implemented for seven years? Or that the new HR guy is announcing a policy change in the most cowardly and passive-aggressive way possible? I have known lots and lots of HR people over the years, and I know which one I'm betting on.

so the next step is the director of HR wants a face-to-face meeting instead of hashing it out over email. I will do that, but I really want this documented so I will be taking notes, summarizing, and emailing to her afterward. When nothing happens from that, I will absolutely be escalating to our president.

I also believe our head of legal has been building a case against her. As I said - this isn't her first shot across the bow. Since she started, she tried to get everyone to sign some really restricting non-compete forms (nearly everyone flat out refused), changed the vacation policy to accrue at a uniform rate over the year instead of having the lump sum be available in January, and hired people without internal interviews (this is another sore spot for me).

I'm mostly with Z here, but yeah this is a very good point. It is possible that the previous HR person actually did screw up and this person is just fixing the mistake. That's a thankless position to be placed in, but it's important.

That said, we don't know any of the people involved so we have to ask ourselves which is more likely? That an HR director blatantly misstated the firm's policy on paid leave, a policy that many people have memorized and would get insta-corrected by a swarm of HR drones and budget types, and that error somehow not only went uncorrected but was actually implemented for seven years? Or that the new HR guy is announcing a policy change in the most cowardly and passive-aggressive way possible? I have known lots and lots of HR people over the years, and I know which one I'm betting on.
not just misstated...explicitly corrected my mistake. Two days after I was hired I was confused as to when 7 years counted -the first year (2016) was 0 years, 2017 was 1 year, etc. I had that wrong and she explicitly changed my table to show year 7 was 2023 and I should have 200 hours available. This wasn't a typo or a mistake.

And then, she had another chance to correct that in 2021 (5 years accrued) when ADP showed I was allowed 120 hours instead of 160. I sent that corrected email to HR to ask them to fix, and it was taken care of immediately. In fact, per the current accrual schedule, I was not supposed to get 160 hours until year 7!

not just misstated...explicitly corrected my mistake. Two days after I was hired I was confused as to when 7 years counted -the first year (2016) was 0 years, 2017 was 1 year, etc. I had that wrong and she explicitly changed my table to show year 7 was 2023 and I should have 200 hours available. This wasn't a typo or a mistake.

And then, she had another chance to correct that in 2021 (5 years accrued) when ADP showed I was allowed 120 hours instead of 160. I sent that corrected email to HR to ask them to fix, and it was taken care of immediately. In fact, per the current accrual schedule, I was not supposed to get 160 hours until year 7!

Well, that certainly supports the cowardly policy change theory. But if that's the case, I would think there would be a lot of other people crying foul. I'd start reaching out to other long-term co-workers as they may be raising this issue internally as well. Collective action!

Well, that certainly supports the cowardly policy change theory. But if that's the case, I would think there would be a lot of other people crying foul. I'd start reaching out to other long-term co-workers as they may be raising this issue internally as well. Collective action!
I don't have it in writing but I think this was a negotiation point when I started.

I remember when I started my previous job, I negotiated a 3rd week when I began, but that 3rd week of vacation was just applied for my first 5 years. - i.e. after 5 years my vacation accrual policy was standard, and I wanted more. As someone with 20+ years of experience, I really wanted to know what it was like to enjoy 4-5 weeks of vacation a year. I believe this was all discussed over the phone. Unfortunately, I don't have a written copy of that agreement, outside of the email I had back and forth literally 2 days after I started.

That sucks. I’d be pissed but not sure what you can do. Maybe ask them to give some other compensation instead?

I only get 3 weeks but also get 19 paid holidays and half day fridays
We also have no formal vacation tracking system so I can easily take an extra week if needed
on the flip side I usually get pulled into some sort of meeting or task on my days off

I don't have it in writing but I think this was a negotiation point when I started.

I remember when I started my previous job, I negotiated a 3rd week when I began, but that 3rd week of vacation was just applied for my first 5 years. - i.e. after 5 years my vacation accrual policy was standard, and I wanted more. As someone with 20+ years of experience, I really wanted to know what it was like to enjoy 4-5 weeks of vacation a year. I believe this was all discussed over the phone. Unfortunately, I don't have a written copy of that agreement, outside of the email I had back and forth literally 2 days after I started.

Given that it is unlikely that you have a legal claim for the reasons already discussed, I think your best bet to achieve the outcome you seek is to assert in the strongest possible way that the company is screwing you out of vacation pay that was expressly negotiated and agreed upon as part of their recruitment and your acceptance of the position, a fact that is supported both by the offer letter (an additional week of vacation to start over the current policy) and the email from HR immediately following your commencement of employment (detailing the increase at 7 years). What that will require are much more definitive statements than you have offered here in the thread. Not sure whether or not you are comfortable with that.

Given that it is unlikely that you have a legal claim for the reasons already discussed, I think your best bet to achieve the outcome you seek is to assert in the strongest possible way that the company is screwing you out of vacation pay that was expressly negotiated and agreed upon as part of their recruitment and your acceptance of the position, a fact that is supported both by the offer letter (an additional week of vacation to start over the current policy) and the email from HR immediately following your commencement of employment (detailing the increase at 7 years). What that will require are much more definitive statements than you have offered here in the thread. Not sure whether or not you are comfortable with that.
it's actually coming back to me. I know I asked for additional vacation time because that's been a point of emphasis for me for years. And I remember being pleasantly surprised they didn't just tack on a 3rd week for the first 5 years like my last company - it wasn't something I had to negotiate further for.

This was all 7+ years ago. A lot has happened since then and it's not top of mind. I suppose I (wrongly) assumed I could trust HR to keep records of that agreement.

I would expressly state that you took this position due to the negotiated vacation accrual schedule. While going back on their word is a right available to to them as an at-will employee, it's substandard practice to treat your long-serving employees in such fashion.

Honestly, if you were the HR person making the call here, why wouldn't you just alter the ADP system to show that mo' gets an additional 40 hours of vacation? It's not costing her anything, and I believe mo' that he negotiated this at the start of his employment. If other people want to negotiate such things, they are in their rights to do so.

My boss agreed that I will get four weeks of vacation, but the official policy and accrual is 3 weeks. The HR system (that I submit my PTO time into) will indeed show 3 weeks this year.

Reactions: JAA
resolved.

I met with HR this afternoon. She was insistent on following the written policy and that there was nothing in writing in my file to indicate a deviation from said policy. I pointed to my email from previous HR and said, "there it is! in writing!" She said that wasn't good enough. I asked her if our company counsel or president would say it was enough. And so on and so on. Eventually, she caved, saying she doesn't really care anyways. WTF? This is a YUGE deal to me - I care. A lot. The promise of 5 weeks of vacation is a major reason I haven't jumped ship over the extreme turmoil of the past few years - I don't want to start at the bottom of vacation accrual again.

Later on, she admitted to the previous HR team keeping incomplete records, including important notes handwritten on sticky pads. If that's true, why fight me so hard on this? For crying out loud, an extra week's worth of vacation literally costs the company nothing.

resolved.

I met with HR this afternoon. She was insistent on following the written policy and that there was nothing in writing in my file to indicate a deviation from said policy. I pointed to my email from previous HR and said, "there it is! in writing!" She said that wasn't good enough. I asked her if our company counsel or president would say it was enough. And so on and so on. Eventually, she caved, saying she doesn't really care anyways. WTF? This is a YUGE deal to me - I care. A lot. The promise of 5 weeks of vacation is a major reason I haven't jumped ship over the extreme turmoil of the past few years - I don't want to start at the bottom of vacation accrual again.

Later on, she admitted to the previous HR team keeping incomplete records, including important notes handwritten on sticky pads. If that's true, why fight me so hard on this? For crying out loud, an extra week's worth of vacation literally costs the company nothing.
It costs them a week of your production.... So you're right. It cost them nothing

resolved.

Extremely shortsighted and petty by HR lady here. Just so dumb.

resolved.

Worst HR Director ever. Ends up caving but also engenders no good will. And in fact creates bad will.

Unresolved. Company president did not approve.

So ****ing pissed. HR woman stopped by to tell me, I nearly resigned on the spot. I stormed out, talking a 1/2 day mental health day and doubt I'll be in tomorrow.

Them pulling this crap tells me how the company values my contributions, and tells me I have no future here. I'm so done.

So ****ing pissed. HR woman stopped by to tell me, I nearly resigned on the spot. I stormed out, talking a 1/2 day mental health day and doubt I'll be in tomorrow.

Them pulling this crap tells me how the company values my contributions, and tells me I have no future here. I'm so done.

Yeah I'd quit. Not the kind of leadership I'd want to represent. GL.

I 100% agree, you have to go get another job. There will never be a bigger indicator of how little they care for you as an employee.

If the president won't eat one weeks vacation when his own HR director already approved it, get out.

Users who are viewing this thread