What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need to upgrade my desktop for gaming, looking for recommendations (1 Viewer)

NewlyRetired

Footballguy
Here is some info

1) I play currently on a 6 year old computer.

- CPU: i5 6500

- GPU: GTX 1060 3GB

2) I would like to be playing on high settings at 1080 60FPS after I upgrade

3) I am looking for a similar level processor with today's generation: Core i5 11k or 12k family??

4) I am not married to Intel, so if there is an AMD processor that would be a nice upgrade over what I have now, I am more than willing to look at it

5) I need an upgrade from the 1060 3g.    I am not sure if just going to the 1060 6g will be enough....there are so many choices in this space I am unsure what to choose....

6) I want to buy a desktop that has at least one open bay for an HDD that I will be taking out of my current computer

7) I will be keeping my headphones, mouse, keyboard and monitor so I only want to buy the base desktop itself with no accessories

8] The main game I play requires an SSD, so I want an SSD as my main drive.

If you guys have any recommendations on CPU's, GPU's, etc and where to look online to purchase for decent deals, please let me know...

Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the main game you play? That would help for optimization and/or recommendations for building for future games as well.

EDIT: Also, do you plan on building your new rig or purchasing a pre-built one?

What is the main game you play? That would help for optimization and/or recommendations for building for future games as well.

EDIT: Also, do you plan on building your new rig or purchasing a pre-built one?

Here is some info

Are you still looking or did you purchase already?

My main game is called Path of Exile. I have already built my new machine by hand since I made this thread last month.

This is what I ended up with.

CPU: i5 12400f
GPU: RX 6600XT
SSD: 1TB M.2 NVME
RAM: 32g ddr4 (3200)
Dual monitors (I LOVE this addition for gaming). Main monitor supports 165MHz refresh.

I had some problems when I first built the computer as my memory was not stable at 3200 using XMP (I could not complete the rigorous memtest86 suite with out errors unless XMP was disabled). I made the mistake of purchasing ram that was not on my mother boards QVL list. Luckily I was able to return it to Amazon with no issues. I then purchased new dram that was on the QVL list and this new memory work perfectly with XMP enabled. I can complete the full memtest86 suite at 3200 now with no errors.

I know this is not an incredible system or anything but it is such a massive upgrade over my 6 year old computer that I am really please. I even picked up much nicer desk for myself so everything is more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread