What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need new laptop advice plus any deals (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
So he's the rundown. I got a 2O15 MacBook Air after replacing another Mac and somehow downgraded from what I had without realizing until recently. I'd prefer to get another Mac of some kind as most of my cloud stuff is on there and would be a ***** to transfer it to another laptop however I wouldn't be opposed to a Toshiba which I had before the Mac and that thing was like a tank for me. Would consider Microsoft or any other other ideas. I'd prefer to spend something around $5OO - $7OO less if possible.

Anyway my USB on the left side is shot and my ZERO KEY is destroyed. My "P" key also is hard to hit sometimes. Also my battery needs to be replaced and doesn't hold a charge for no longer then 2 hrs if not less. I went to a CPU repair place a few months ago and the guy told me it sounded like my keyboard needed to be replaced but he said with models like mine there was a Keyboard recall and the USB port is attached to the keyboard. Long story short probably have to replace the whole thing and he said there also might be other issues we don't know exist. He told me to get the model numbers and everything and he could give me a really good estimate from there of what it would cost but side on caution and expect possible more if other issues were there. He also said they could replace the batter for free.

I went up yesterday and essentially the cost to fix isn't worth it. It's a 7 yrs old laptop at this point and I could buy a new one instead with the money it'd cost to fix it. I don't play any games on it so I don't need anything crazy but would prefer a decent size GB decent battery and cost efficient. I mostly use it to be on here, do fantasy stuff, work on spread sheets for some hobbies of mine and streaming.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

So he's the rundown. I got a 2O15 MacBook Air after replacing another Mac and somehow downgraded from what I had without realizing until recently. I'd prefer to get another Mac of some kind as most of my cloud stuff is on there and would be a ***** to transfer it to another laptop however I wouldn't be opposed to a Toshiba which I had before the Mac and that thing was like a tank for me. Would consider Microsoft or any other other ideas. I'd prefer to spend something around $5OO - $7OO less if possible.

Anyway my USB on the left side is shot and my ZERO KEY is destroyed. My "P" key also is hard to hit sometimes. Also my battery needs to be replaced and doesn't hold a charge for no longer then 2 hrs if not less. I went to a CPU repair place a few months ago and the guy told me it sounded like my keyboard needed to be replaced but he said with models like mine there was a Keyboard recall and the USB port is attached to the keyboard. Long story short probably have to replace the whole thing and he said there also might be other issues we don't know exist. He told me to get the model numbers and everything and he could give me a really good estimate from there of what it would cost but side on caution and expect possible more if other issues were there. He also said they could replace the batter for free.

I went up yesterday and essentially the cost to fix isn't worth it. It's a 7 yrs old laptop at this point and I could buy a new one instead with the money it'd cost to fix it. I don't play any games on it so I don't need anything crazy but would prefer a decent size GB decent battery and cost efficient. I mostly use it to be on here, do fantasy stuff, work on spread sheets for some hobbies of mine and streaming.

Timing is terrible as Amazon had crazy deals on Apple yesterday. There was a MacBook Air for 800 bucks.

I almost never recommend mac products, but in this case I would recommend you staying with the mac ecosystem. The only downside with a mac for your use case is the cost, but you could look at a refurbished computer to mitigate that.

An 8th gen i5 would be good for the next 5 years for your use case and is available for 550. The M1 is just out of your price range at ~800 dollars refurbished, however it would be a major upgrade. You do get more bang with your buck with a windows computer, however it is effort to change to that operating system. With how change adverse you appear to be i would recommend against this. I do not think you would be happy with a windows computer.

refurbished macbook air:
https://www.amazon.com/Apple-inches-MacBook-Display-Dual-Core/dp/B08156M1LH/ref=sxin_15_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.6b029eb3-7d41-4744-b45d-69fe835e098d%3Aamzn1.sym.6b029eb3-7d41-4744-b45d-69fe835e098d&crid=3UMC5B2KU27S3&cv_ct_cx=mac+airbook+refurbished&keywords=mac+airbook+refurbished&pd_rd_i=B08156M1LH&pd_rd_r=94619a52-1060-4e9f-b8f4-2f56d9912e94&pd_rd_w=tOghz&pd_rd_wg=GYzHm&pf_rd_p=6b029eb3-7d41-4744-b45d-69fe835e098d&pf_rd_r=P288J6TVWH6YPM7Q96MX&qid=1665679001&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjQ5IiwicXNhIjoiMi43MSIsInFzcCI6IjEuOTIifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=mac+airbook+refur%2Caps%2C136&sr=1-1-a73d1c8c-2fd2-4f19-aa41-2df022bcb241-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE0ODhPM1oxTDJTNjUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3NzI1NzcyUUFLTUJXQTRXVUtSJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1MTQwODYxV002TjdIQVhHTFdBJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3Bfc2VhcmNoX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You might want to wait until black friday/cyber monday. Apple usually offers manufacturers discounts at that time.

however it is effort to change to that operating system. With how change adverse you appear to be i would recommend against this. I do not think you would be happy with a windows computer.

I've had windows for yrs before going to MAC so going back wouldn't be a huge problem. I'll look at the recommendations though.

Timing is terrible as Amazon had crazy deals on Apple yesterday. There was a MacBook Air for 800 bucks.

Story of my life right there

It says you're in Philadelphia, so if you're anywhere near Micro Center in St. David's, you could buy this, which seems like an excellent deal.
In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread