What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need Help - Naming Our Larger Footballguys Community (1 Viewer)

Not going to lie. I'm completely baffled by this request

That's interesting and thanks for the feedback. What is baffling @belljr @shuke @DA RAIDERS @Runkle ?

Building up and connecting a big group of customers seems like a pretty normal business thing. We've done great with that over the years on the forum and I've been thinking about how we do that with the larger group of Footballguys subscribers. Since this forum is so close and knowledgeable with Footballguys, I thought there could be good ideas here.
The desire for a new name. To me as a 24 year? member, it’s footballguys. Footballguys is the name. There’s no no need, imho, for a catchy name like swifties. I don’t think a new nick name is going to bring the group closer. What is your social media presence? Because I assume that new members are a slightly :lmao: younger demographic. I’d think that using the name footballguys and expanding the social media presence, including gambling, that appeals to younger people would be the way to go. :shrug:

Thanks. I asked my question because we don't have a specific name that I call our subscribers. And I asked the question if folk thought there was value in creating one.

And for sure, "No, not having a specific name is fine. Just call them Footballguys Subscribers the same way other companies call their customers or subscribers "(Insert Company Name) Customers".

I can see folks that just want to call it "company name subscribers". That's great feedback.

I was surprised people thought the question was baffling though. But not really. I think we've all learned over the years to not be surprised.
That’s just it. I dont think of myself as a Fbg subscriber. I dont think I’ve ever thought of myself as a subscriber to anything other than a magazine when those were a thing. I simply think of myself as a Fbg. Maybe change the mindset from selling subscriptions to selling a product that has a sense of community.

I’ll use my ski pass as an example. I’m an ikon member. While technically I’m a subscriber, they dont use that verbiage and neither do I. I have ikon. Or I’m a member of ikon. Not, I’m an ikon subscriber. I might get an epic pass. Then I’d have both. “I have(or am a member of) ikon and epic” Not a subscription to both. Just my .02

Perhaps wrongly, but it sounds like you define footballguys as you and the staff, which makes sense, but those of us in the peanut gallery ALSO consider ourselves footballguys. There's definitley a disconnect in the dialogue flowing back and forth.

Thanks for letting me know that as I'm absolutely communicating poorly if what you're hearing is I think of Footballguys as just our Staff.

What I'm working on here, and the reason for me asking, is I want to create clear identity for Footballguys customers/readers/subscribers/members/listeners/forum members.

The fact there's a disconnect (and thank you for letting me know) shows me I haven't done this well and it's something I'd like to do better with.

Joe, respectfully, I think we all consider our selves "footballguys." I know it's your brand name but as a long time subscriber who has met IRL life with other subscribers and nerd out about fantasy football, we refer to ourselves as "footballguys" or "FBGs." In other words, I think the subscribers have already adopted your brand name to describe themselves.

Thanks GB. And that may well be the easy answer. It's a little unique as our company name does work as also a name for the group.

Fans of Footballguys can easily be considered "Footballguys".

That doesn't work for Rivian cars or Apple computers as the company name isn't really a thing like that.

Since this place has been around so long that a lot of long-time members like me have kids that are starting to get involved, and since it’s a type of fantasy league. . .

Join the Footballguys Dynasty

Perhaps wrongly, but it sounds like you define footballguys as you and the staff, which makes sense, but those of us in the peanut gallery ALSO consider ourselves footballguys. There's definitley a disconnect in the dialogue flowing back and forth.

Thanks for letting me know that as I'm absolutely communicating poorly if what you're hearing is I think of Footballguys as just our Staff.

What I'm working on here, and the reason for me asking, is I want to create clear identity for Footballguys customers/readers/subscribers/members/listeners/forum members.

The fact there's a disconnect (and thank you for letting me know) shows me I haven't done this well and it's something I'd like to do better with.

Seems like the disconnect is you keep saying you want to create a clear identify for Footballguys customers and all of us are saying, you've already done it. It's "Footballguys". You've done it and don't need to change it. Like many others have said - our spouses know what foolballguys is and what that means.

Last edited:
I simply think of myself as a Fbg.

Thanks. That's great feedback to my question.

Maybe change the mindset from selling subscriptions to selling a product that has a sense of community.

No need to change as that's what we've always done. And probably the #1 thing I'd attribute what success we've had so far to.
You keep using the words subscribers/subscriptions, maybe switch to the word members/memberships. It feels better to be a member than a subscriber.

Seems like the disconnect is you keep saying you want to create a clear identify for Footballguys customers and all of us are saying, you've already done it.

We just disagree. I don't think I've already done it.

Others have said they thought I meant only staff when I said Footballguys. Seems it's far from clear. That's why I'm asking.

Others have said they thought I meant only staff when I said Footballguys. Seems it's far from clear. That's why I'm asking.
I think this demarcation was thrown out there (Staff vs members) because to most everyone here the term you are looking for is "Footballguys". So we are trying to figure out what that term means to you since you don't believe that fits the bill for your original question.

Seems like the disconnect is you keep saying you want to create a clear identify for Footballguys customers and all of us are saying, you've already done it.

This thread is what has muddied it for me. Up until this thread, I thought we were all Footballguys.

You keep using the words subscribers/subscriptions, maybe switch to the word members/memberships. It feels better to be a member than a subscriber.

Part of the challenge is there are different types of members and subscribers.

1. There are members here of our free forum.

2. There are people who sign up for our Daily Email Update Newsletter.

3. There are people who register for the Footballgusy so they can see the free content that requires a free account.

4,. There are people who pay for Footballguys Premium service to access all the content on the site.

For Footballguys.com to exist as a business (and for this forum to exist) we depend on our ability to earn the trust of the people in the first 3 groups and get them to join the 4th group.

This thread is what has muddied it for me. Up until this thread, I thought we were all Footballguys.

Good. This thread is meaningless in that regard and shouldn't change anything.

Maybe it is just "Footballguys" and the name of our group is simply the name of the business. That could well be the best answer.

I just have a ton of respect for this audience and wanted to ask here.

Just to clarify: I think you have already done it. My point was that it seems like you may think of it as more limited, but I don't. I think the term Footballguys is inclusive of all of the posters I've met here and anyone who uses the site (even the FootballGals)

I think this demarcation was thrown out there (Staff vs members) because to most everyone here the term you are looking for is "Footballguys". So we are trying to figure out what that term means to you since you don't believe that fits the bill for your original question.

To be clear. I don't think I ever said the term doesn't fit the bill. I asked if we could do better with a better term. The answer to that could very well be "no".

Just to clarify: I think you have already done it. My point was that it seems like you may think of it as more limited, but I don't. I think the term Footballguys is inclusive of all of the posters I've met here and anyone who uses the site (even the FootballGals)

That's very possible. @Mister CIA is a long time vet here though and when he says, "Perhaps wrongly, but it sounds like you define footballguys as you and the staff, which makes sense, but those of us in the peanut gallery ALSO consider ourselves footballguys. There's definitley a disconnect in the dialogue flowing back and forth." that gets my attention.

Good. This thread is meaningless in that regard and shouldn't change anything.

Maybe it is just "Footballguys" and the name of our group is simply the name of the business. That could well be the best answer.

I just have a ton of respect for this audience and wanted to ask here.
Does this mean you get the 1 year HOF subscription since you came up with the name ~25 years ago?

That's very possible. @Mister CIA is a long time vet here though and when he says, "Perhaps wrongly, but it sounds like you define footballguys as you and the staff, which makes sense, but those of us in the peanut gallery ALSO consider ourselves footballguys. There's definitley a disconnect in the dialogue flowing back and forth." that gets my attention.
Point of clarification, "Perhaps wrongly" refers to my interpretation, not that I think you are saying something wrong. In case my wording was not clear.

Point of clarification, "Perhaps wrongly" refers to my interpretation, not that I think you are saying something wrong. In case my wording was not clear.

Thank you. But that's what I assumed. You're as into FBG as anyone we'll ever have. When you interpret me saying something like that, that's a problem with how I'm communicating.

3. There are people who register for the Footballgusy so they can see the free content that requires a free account.

4,. There are people who pay for Footballguys Premium service to access all the content on the site.

For Footballguys.com to exist as a business (and for this forum to exist) we depend on our ability to earn the trust of the people in the first 3 groups and get them to join the 4th group.
Become more than subscriber…become a member…. become a footballguy*

*3 digit numbers no longer available.

Joe, respectfully, I think we all consider our selves "footballguys." I know it's your brand name but as a long time subscriber who has met IRL life with other subscribers and nerd out about fantasy football, we refer to ourselves as "footballguys" or "FBGs." In other words, I think the subscribers have already adopted your brand name to describe themselves.

Thanks GB. And that may well be the easy answer. It's a little unique as our company name does work as also a name for the group.

Fans of Footballguys can easily be considered "Footballguys".

That doesn't work for Rivian cars or Apple computers as the company name isn't really a thing like that.

I agree with Zow (and others) that we're all footballguys, and I think that's really a big positive that should be embraced and promoted. If you want to give the sense that you're joining a community even when simply purchasing a subscription, then I don't think you can do any better. You're not just fans or subscribers, you're one of us.

Assuming it's necessary to differentiate sometimes, maybe just save the capital F for the company and use "footballguys" and/or "footballguy" for the customers.

Become more than subscriber…become a member…. become a footballguy*

*3 digit numbers no longer available.

Yes. Something like that is what I'm thinking.

I don't think I ever said the term doesn't fit the bill.
I know. Those were my words based on you asking for the improvement on "Footballguys" as the term. I think asking the question brought on a great conversation......I just don't think there is a better term out there. It fits perfectly (IMO).

Let me see if I can summarize:

1) The website is called Footballguys
2) Most everyone here thinks of themselves as Footballguys
3) Most everyone here thinks any subscribers are also Footballguys.
4) You're asking what to call everyone and most everyone here thinks it's obvious/unnecessary because it's Footballguys
5) As a result of you even asking, someone like Mister CIA thought maybe it was because you thought the staff was Footballguys because otherwise why are you even asking?
6) Bottom line seems clear -- There isn't a better name. That goes for all customers here.
7) As an aside, if anything, I think the subset community here is known as FFA'ers. All are still Footballguys, but I use it to refer specifically to posters here. If anything, THIS group needs a name, but that's not what you're looking for.

And "Footballguy" is easy and fun to market. I can see an ad with different men and women and the tagline: FOOTBALLGUY

4) You're asking what to call everyone and most everyone here thinks it's obvious/unnecessary because it's Footballguys
5) As a result of you even asking, someone like Mister CIA thought maybe it was because you thought the staff was Footballguys because otherwise why are you even asking?
6) Bottom line seems clear -- There isn't a better name. That goes for all customers here.
7) As an aside, if anything, I think the subset community here is known as FFA'ers. All are still Footballguys, but I use it to refer specifically to posters here. If anything, THIS group needs a name, but that's not what you're looking for.
I think you captured things nicely.

If this was fantasyfootball.com, then yeah, a different name for the members might be in order.

Last edited:

Agreed. It took a bit, but that seems to be the consensus among folks, which is what I was looking for.

I don't think it's false modesty but I wasn't sure about these two: "Most everyone here thinks of themselves as Footballguys" and "Most everyone here thinks any subscribers are also Footballguys."

That's great. It's also interesting as it's totally organic. I don't think I've ever invited to be a "Footballguy". It seems it just sort of happens. Which is the best way.

I don't think I ever said the term doesn't fit the bill.
I know. Those were my words based on you asking for the improvement on "Footballguys" as the term. I think asking the question brought on a great conversation......I just don't think there is a better term out there. It fits perfectly (IMO).

Thanks. I meant what I wrote in the OP about "wondering if we could do better" but it's good to hear it doesn't sound like most here feel we can.

Ideally, it would be something that flows easily when I ask people to "Join the __________".
"The Hive" or "FBG Hive"
Simple and effective.
Instills a sense of community, "buzz", and productivity.
(yes, I understood the assignment)
"check out the Football Guys Hive for all of your FF info, updates, questions, and advice"
"join the Hive... get the latest FF buzz"
"Hive Guys ... fast food for your fantasy football success"
"The Football Guys Hive - a community dedicated to fantasy football production"
"Come check out the "Hive Five" ... top 5 redraft value picks at each position"

I'm strongly considering starting my own fantasy football community with this marketing scheme.
... or we can settle out of court right now for the low, low price of a 1 year subscription to FBG's.

Ohana

Kind of weird being a Future Farmer of America when I don't know nothing bout growing no crops.

Might be time to change the FFA name anyways if we are changing things up as it's not really a free for all anymore. I mean it's "free" (thanks always to Joe) but a little tamer with some guardrails in place. Maybe the Keep Your Politics Out Yer Damn Mouth forum. Or KYPOYDM for short.

Ohana

Kind of weird being a Future Farmer of America when I don't know nothing bout growing no crops.

Might be time to change the FFA name anyways if we are changing things up as it's not really a free for all anymore. I mean it's "free" (thanks always to Joe) but a little tamer with some guardrails in place. Maybe the Keep Your Politics Out Yer Damn Mouth forum. Or KYPOYDM for short.
Yes, let's do this.

Ohana

Yes, let's do this.
I nominate posty mcpostface

Not going to lie. I'm completely baffled by this request

That's interesting and thanks for the feedback. What is baffling @belljr @shuke @DA RAIDERS @Runkle ?

Building up and connecting a big group of customers seems like a pretty normal business thing. We've done great with that over the years on the forum and I've been thinking about how we do that with the larger group of Footballguys subscribers. Since this forum is so close and knowledgeable with Footballguys, I thought there could be good ideas here.

Just seems unnecessary and forced. But I'm not expert on this stuff. :shrug:

Joe, respectfully, I think we all consider ourselves "footballguys." I know it's your brand name but as a long time subscriber who has met IRL life with other subscribers and nerd out about fantasy football, we refer to ourselves as "footballguys" or "FBGs." In other words, I think the subscribers have already adopted your brand name to describe themselves.

Yup

Users who are viewing this thread