What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need Help - Naming Our Larger Footballguys Community (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hi Folks,

Need some help. I'd like to have a fun, clear, clever name that we can call our Footballguys Community for all our subscribers. Not just this forum. I"m talking about the larger community that is all the people who purchase a Footballguys Premium Subscription or join the Footballguys Daily Email Update mailing list.

My friends at The FantasyFootballers call their subscribers "The Footclan". And that's fun.

I'd like something for us. Sometimes you see it with music bands where the community has names like "Deadheads" for the Grateful Dead or a fun one I discovered yesterday with "Sheerios" for fans of Ed Sheeran.

Ideally, it would be something that flows easily when I ask people to "Join the __________".

We've used several over the years sort of informally. Shark Pool (for this forum), Footballguys Family and such. But wondering if we could do better.

Throw out ideas you have here. Or PM me if you want to keep it private.

If we use your idea, we'll give away a 1 year Hall Of Fame Premium subscription. If multiple people enter the same name that wins, the person who sends it in first wins.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Joe,

With all due respect, after 25 years now you need a name? Footclan is fine as are Matt Harmon's "sickos" but the truth is the inclusivity of this group does not require a name (that is, unless you feel you are losing users to these other "branded" message boards). We all have our teams, our politics, our music preferences on this board without it being anything more that "FBG message board". We still refer to the "olden times" as "Ole Yellow" and you have 40K people on the board (even though maybe 5 K of them are General Malaise alter egos).

Anyhow, I don't think it needs a "brand name". To me it's the OG Board. Everything else is either dead or came after this one.

Joe,

With all due respect, after 25 years now you need a name? Footclan is fine as are Matt Harmon's "sickos" but the truth is the inclusivity of this group does not require a name (that is, unless you feel you are losing users to these other "branded" message boards). We all have our teams, our politics, our music preferences on this board without it being anything more that "FBG message board". We still refer to the "olden times" as "Ole Yellow" and you have 40K people on the board (even though maybe 5 K of them are General Malaise alter egos).

Anyhow, I don't think it needs a "brand name". To me it's the OG Board. Everything else is either dead or came after this one.

Thanks @Gatorman

Sorry I wasn't clear. I don't mean a name for this forum. We've always been the Shark Pool and that's great.

I'm talking about for the bigger community of all the people who purchase a Footballguys Premium Subscription or join our email list for the Daily Email Update.

Joe,

Thanks @Gatorman

Sorry I wasn't clear. I don't mean a name for this forum. We've always been the Shark Pool and that's great.

I'm talking about for the bigger community of all the people who purchase a Footballguys Premium Subscription or join our email list for the Daily Email Update.
Footballguys.

Joe,

Thanks @Gatorman

Footballguys.
I was also going to say FBGs which is the same thing. A lot of effort was poured into the Footballguys, would definitely focus on that as the inspiration for the name

Sharks
FBGs
Footballguys

Respectfully, no one is ever gonna call this forum anything else.

Your base is way too big, and it's the only name they know. Once anyone new joins, they'll adapt to what's used by the "original" members

Just embrace the success.

I think that it's as simple as Footballguys. It's easy, it's already there and I think it has plenty of recognition. No need to overthink it.

Joe,

Listen to this man, JB.

When Super Elite Maximum Tier folks deign to impart their wisdom, it's wise to pay heed.

Seems like FootballGuys already does some heavy lifting. Like Keenex/tissues, Coke/soft drinks, Band-Aid/adhesive bandage, Xerox/photocopier, etc, FootballGuys kind of describes ALL football fans (that identify as guys, so maybe that's problematic).

Footballville (in the same vein as CFB's Fansville) ? EDIT: A quick google indicates I'm not the first person to coin the word Footballville. BRB, gonna see what search pulls up for Fantasyville.

Without over thinking it, footballguys is the community. We are all a bunch of footballguys. Come join the Footballguys community. Yes, it's too on brand, but it is also descriptive. :shrug:

First response with footballguys noted, unless someone pm'ed Joe earlier. I.E. this guy is the winner.

Having said that, something can only be too on brand if its also corporate, and the staff here is miles away from corporate.

When the brand evokes positive emotion from the existing customer base, its the perfect candidate for preservation and growth of market share.

It evokes community, focus, value and engagement in one word. Comparitively speaking, the other suggestions here all sound like a 9 year old came up with them.

(tell us how you really feel svbd)

What's wrong with Football Guys? I've always felt the name was perfect because it encompassed who you are, collectively, and who WE are, collectively.

Everyone here is a football guy (even the 4 female members) - I'd say go with that. It's already good branding. Why fix something that ain't broken?

I agree with what most others have said. Seems like you already have what you’re looking for. Footballguys
I think that it's as simple as Footballguys. It's easy, it's already there and I think it has plenty of recognition. No need to overthink it.
Great minds think alike. I posted my response without reading any of the prior ones, so good validation that several of us arrived at the same conclusion.

:hifive:

Agree with FootballGuys as it is the brand, but if you want something a little more gender neutral you can always go with:

FootballPeople (not that great sounding)
FootballPeeps (haha!)
FootballFanatics (this one is actually decent)

Agree with FootballGuys as it is the brand, but if you want something a little more gender neutral you can always go with:

FootballPeeps (haha!)

I anticipated a reference to the "sexism" inherent in footballGUYS.

If we are going to cave on this issue, I might suggest....

football attendants
football administrative assistants
football football team
football commanders

Would echo previous sentiments that it's probably wise not to stray far from the footballguys brand (or lack thereof).

So if it has to be something, vague and all-encompassing is probably for the better.

The Afflicted or The Asylum is kind of what it feels like when I'm discussing fantasy football with you folks in April. But too cliche, specific, and off-brand to fbg. Something a new fantasy site would try to establish as a brand.

Something more along the lines of...

The Fellowship
The Guyhood
The Citizenry
The Fraternity of footballguys
The Populace
The Fanatical Faceless Masses
The Realm
The Commune
The Domain
The Denizens
The Faction
The Cabal
The Collective
The Collaborative

Last edited:
Mouth Pieces
Turf Toes
Oklahoma Drillers
Hip Droppers
Sled Pushers
Jock Straps
Grass Stains
Boomer Ballers
Fantasy Lifers
Pig Skins
Wood Bringers
3 and Outers

Last edited:

FootballPeeps (haha!)

I anticipated a reference to the "sexism" inherent in footballGUYS.

If we are going to cave on this issue, I might suggest....

football attendants
football administrative assistants
football football team
football commanders
Footballers?
People of Football?
Football Fanati-oop, already taken. 😬
Footpeople! Wait, sounds like a fetish site. Never mind.

The Guyhood
While I agree with most of the replies (that a separate name is not needed), I think I like this the most, or at least this angle. We are all the "guys". So a collective brand name should indicate a group of guys in some way. Guy ... guy ... guyscape ... sounds too much like manscaping ... don't need that ... guy guy ... "The Guyld"? That's kinda fun.

The Dukes
Uncle Ricos
League Winners
Career Backups
The Safeties
The Turnovers
Onside Clicks
Gator Aids
Maddened Squad
Turf Monsters
Late Hitters
Face Maskers
Excessive Celebrators
The Punters

The Guyhood
While I agree with most of the replies (that a separate name is not needed), I think I like this the most, or at least this angle. We are all the "guys". So a collective brand name should indicate a group of guys in some way. Guy ... guy ... guyscape ... sounds too much like manscaping ... don't need that ... guy guy ... "The Guyld"? That's kinda fun.

The Guyld with that spelling is very solid imo. Nicely done!

I concur though that Football Guys is the way to go. It's inclusive in the sense that it implies posters here, subscribers, etc. are also the football guys- just as much as any of the staff like Sig, Dave, etc.

Rec Specs
The Lamb Bar Deez
Frozen Tundras
Hole Pluggers
Orange Slices
Tape Rollers
Film Crunchers
Lazer Pointers
Chop Blockers
Perfect Spirals
Head Hunters

Users who are viewing this thread