What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA HOOPS THREAD! -- K petitions to get Maui Jim Maui Invitational moved to Transylvania (1 Viewer)

Who is worse?

• Total voters
Purdue/Tenn is a pretty entertaining game that's gone to OT. I didn't say "well-played" because Rick Barnes is one of the coaches, but it's a fun watch. My God, Purdue has some of the ugliest players in the universe.

I'm not sure what is dumber ... That the NIT Season Tip-off no longer is at MSG, or that because of that (and the Nets also being home Friday in some brilliant mis-scheduling) the first day of the "Barclays Center" Classic won't even be played at the Barclays Center.

I'm not sure what is dumber ... That the NIT Season Tip-off no longer is at MSG, or that because of that (and the Nets also being home Friday in some brilliant mis-scheduling) the first day of the "Barclays Center" Classic won't even be played at the Barclays Center.
Seeing how Rhode Island took down a top 20 team for the first time since 1998 when they beat Seton Hall yesterday, I'm not going to complain about the NIT at all.

My guess is (1) Nike had a bunch of marquee teams they wanted to include but the teams didn't want to play four games, and related (2) they wanted both UNC and Duke and those teams ain't playing each other in November.
This is the reason. The brackets are broken down with a team from each conference in one bracket. The hullabaloo about two brackets is wild. If you want only one bracket, you essentially just want half of the tournament not to happen. I'll take the weird two brackets if it means this many good games going on all day. 

I'll even take Bill Walton calling my favorite team's games. This is all so much fun.

Jeff Goodman was trying to see part of all eight games yesterday ... Shuffling between both venues. I'm not sure if he pulled it off.

Reminds me of how I used to try to watch at least one TV timeout of every game on the 24-hour tipoff marathon. I usually made it to the 8 a.m. game before crapping out in some matchup between the Northeast Conference and Metro Atlantic or CAA.

Alabama is playing with 4 dudes. There was a fight + a foul out. On facebook for anyone sitting around without anything to do.

I hate Alabama, but I'm all in for Colin Sexton to with this 4 on 5.

I don't care what team he plays for, I don't care what kind of preseason props they've gotten as a team that they should not have gotten, I don't care how limited I think his NBA potential is, I don't care how much money he took from a shoe company Colin Sexton is my favorite player.

Alabama is playing with 4 dudes. There was a fight + a foul out. On facebook for anyone sitting around without anything to do.

I hate Alabama, but I'm all in for Colin Sexton to with this 4 on 5.
I wanted to watch this so badly especially after seeing Alabama hanging in the game.  Only caught the last :20 though

I wanted to watch this so badly especially after seeing Alabama hanging in the game.  Only caught the last :20 though
It was awesome. Alabama cut it to a one possession game at one point. I think they ended up outscoring Minnesota with 3 players. Caveat: Minnesota didn't really do anything on offense. I think out of sportsmanship. They could have run and pressed, but they didn't.

It was awesome. Alabama cut it to a one possession game at one point. I think they ended up outscoring Minnesota with 3 players. Caveat: Minnesota didn't really do anything on offense. I think out of sportsmanship. They could have run and pressed, but they didn't.
Yeah, kenpom also said Minnesota was passing up uncontested 3s for long range 2s - less EV shot.  

Figured they weren't trying to bury Alabama, but one of those strange situations that may never happen again.

Yeah, kenpom also said Minnesota was passing up uncontested 3s for long range 2s - less EV shot.  

Figured they weren't trying to bury Alabama, but one of those strange situations that may never happen again.
This was unbelievable. I was watching on facebook live. I don't understand what Pitino was doing.

Alabama was packed into the lane in a triangle. They weren't even attempting to contest 3 pointers. And instead of just having a practice drill with MN's best shooter, they kept dribbling into teeth of the defense and taking a contested mid range shot. It was baffling.

This was unbelievable. I was watching on facebook live. I don't understand what Pitino was doing.

Alabama was packed into the lane in a triangle. They weren't even attempting to contest 3 pointers. And instead of just having a practice drill with MN's best shooter, they kept dribbling into teeth of the defense and taking a contested mid range shot. It was baffling.
Also that Sexton guy from Alabama was the only guy taking shots. He shot every time down the court and scored 38. 

How do you let that happen? Triple team him! Lol. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In 35 years of watching college basketball, that game was easily the most bizarre thing I've ever seen.  Not just that the last 11 minutes were played 5-on-3, or that Bama outscored Minnesota during that span (and came within a possession of tying the game).  But, it was truly one of those "you had to see it to fully understand how bizarre it really was" moments.  There is really no way to describe it that would do the entire situation justice.  As a Minnesota fan, it was embarrassing to watch my team squeak out a win against a team that was playing with three guys.  On the other hand, what is lost in all of this is that Minnesota dominated the first 30 minutes.... they led by double digits throughout most of the first half, stretching the lead to as much as 18 (I think?) at one point.  So, unfortunately for them, what should have been a convincing win against a top-25 team is going to be remembered for something totally different.  A near collapse against a team of 3, a gutsy effort by the three Alabama players who finished the game, or whatever you want to call it.  Regardless, it was bizarre to watch unfold.  

As for how Minnesota handled the situation, it was very clear that everyone involved was uncomfortable.  Pitino didn't know what to do (and admitted as much after the game), and the players weren't really sure what to do, either.  In hindsight, I suppose they should have pressed/trapped until the lead was very comfortable (as in 25+ points), then called off the dogs.  But, then people would be talking about how unnecessary it was for a team to press/trap an opponent with three players.  I'm sure Pitino would rather take that criticism, though, than watch his team nearly lose to a team of three.  Not that he'll ever have to handle a situation like that one again, but I'm sure he realizes the mistake now.  Hindsight is 20/20.  

No idea why Duke refuses to feed Bagley in the post right now, but they're getting run by Florida because of it.  
It was strange how they didn't go to him more down the stretch.  I also found it strange that when they went to the zone in the first half is when they when on a big run and actually took the lead.  Then they never went back to it again.   Bagley is so, so good.   9-10 from the charity stripe.    If that team continues to progress, look out.   Incredible poise down the stretch last night considering they had 4 freshman playing for probably all of those final minutes.   Every one of those guys looked good in his own way.   Outside of Bagley, I thought Tucker looked the best of that bunch overall.  If he can continue to find his shot, he's going to be a nice perimeter compliment to Allen.

#gogreen baby! Love the total destruction of Carolina last night.

If it’s not Mcquaid it’s Winston. If it’s not Winston, it’s Langford. One of our 3 shooting guards are going to kill you from the outside. Loving this team right now. Fix the turnover problem and the foul trouble and this team is set to go far this season. I guess the hidden silver lining is the foul issue is giving the bench valuable playing time right now.

Am I officially old if I start complaining about not being able to read half the numbers in ESPNs on screen score box?

Pretty fun game going on ESPNU between Rutgers and FSU.

Am I officially old if I start complaining about not being able to read half the numbers in ESPNs on screen score box?

Pretty fun game going on ESPNU between Rutgers and FSU.
i can read them, but i am not a fan stylistically.  seems very amateurish to me for some reason.

Huge rivalry game in the Ocean State today as Providence visits URI. Always a big game in the smallest state but huge this year as both teams have tourney aspirations and a win today will be good to have on their resume. Providence has won 7 in a row with most of the games coming down to the wire. Rhody is due.

Let's Go Rhody, Let's Go Rams!

Can someone explain the Arizona and ASU rankings this week?  I'm befuddled...

ASU loses to Arizona by 6 at Arizona and...

ASU only drops 1 spot to #4, which indicates the poll believes they are for real

Arizona only goes from 17 to 14, which indicates the poll believes ASU is NOT for real

What gives?  I was expecting them to be close and both at about #8 and #9.

Can someone explain the Arizona and ASU rankings this week?  I'm befuddled...

ASU loses to Arizona by 6 at Arizona and...

ASU only drops 1 spot to #4, which indicates the poll believes they are for real

Arizona only goes from 17 to 14, which indicates the poll believes ASU is NOT for real

What gives?  I was expecting them to be close and both at about #8 and #9.
There are other teams in the poll other than ASU and Arizona and their performances have just as much effect on the rankings as the two teams you seem to be looking at in a vacuum.  

I guess it's time to start paying attention to this now. This Trae Young kid appears to be up to something

GO1GREEN

This team is the best Ive ever seen in EL, from top to bottom, yes, including the '79 and '00 teams.  So many interchangeable parts. They will lose a couple in the B1G no doubt, but they are playing on a higher level right now than anyone else I've observed so far this season. They are already tuned into the typical Feb-March run all Izzo teams have.  Still have a lot of work to do lessening TOs, and dumb fouls.  Cass Winston is on another planet when it comes to top point guards in the country, gotta be in the . Ward is 1000% better than he was last season and has become a true force inside. Langford and McQuaid are huge contributors every game. Miles just excels in every phase of the game. The bench contribution has been outstanding and really, they loose very little interchanging players, as opposed to years past.

From today's practice (1/2)...Izzo:

The last time MSU was No. 1 was with a veteran team led by Valentine in 2016. Izzo said he's never been in a spot like this with a team this young, so he's anxious to see how they handle it. If today's practice was any indication, they'll be just fine.

"How practice is usually how you play. They didn't look like they were all full of themselves today, and I would be shocked if this team is."

Without classes until next week, MSU will also practice again tonight.

The biggest things will be handling the pressure put on by other teams out to get No. 1

Izzo said these last four games can fool MSU and the fans into thinking this team is better than it is, but he also doesn't want to take anything away from his team either. When you're shooting the ball well and you're playing good defense, as the Spartans have, that means you're playing both ends and performing the way you should, regardless of opponent.

A few things he liked during this four-game stretch was how well MSU shot the ball, the way the Spartans ran and improved offensive execution. The turnovers were still an issue at times, but Izzo noted that MSU has been much better in stretches. For example, there was the 10 turnovers in nine minutes Sunday, followed by 31 minutes with just seven turnovers. What he loved most was guys like Schilling starting to play better, and he also mentioned Kenny Goins as someone who has been improving since he sat out those couple weeks with the knee injury.

The next guy he wants to get going is Jaren Jackson. Izzo said it's on Jackson to run the floor a little better and crash the offensive glass more, but it's on Izzo to get him more shots.

"So we'll keep working that because I think that's another weapon we have that has not been exploited yet."

Josh Langford summed up the players' feelings about the No. 1 ranking pretty well.

"It’s something that you have to understand that it is a pretty good achievement. But at the same time, we’re not satisfied at all. I don’t think anybody on the team is satisfied because just as quickly as we got this ranking we can lose it. So I think we have to keep the same mentality of attacking each day and trying to win each day and get better every chance we can get. ... It’s a good achievement to have, but we just have to keep grinding and keep going at it."

Also, on the difference between earning the No. 1 ranking and getting anointed No. 1 before the season starts:

"To me, it shows that we’ve grown from the beginning of the year. To see the growth in our team, that’s what it’s all about. In order to be a team that achieves what we want to achieve, we have to learn how to get better each day and every step of the way. For us to get to this point in the season with our play, I feel like that it does show big steps in our maturation process. We have to keep going at it, but at the same time understand that we are getting better but not get satisfied at all."

Looking forward to continued success throughout the rest of the season.  They are exciting to watch. :popcorn:  Barring any serious injuies (knock on wood) I have real hope this season for great things from this team come tourney time.

Id love to see Tony benett have a team with love legit blue chip players.  What he's able to accomplish with just some run-of-the-mill players is amazing. The fundamentals that his team exhibits phenomenal.  Best coach in the game.   

Rhode Island Rams improves to 17-3 today, down 15 points and hit a 3 at the buzzer to win it. I picked a good year to get season tickets, currently ranked 24th and definitely the class of the A10 this year.

Users who are viewing this thread