What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (1 Viewer)

Gotta hand it to Flip, he played this perfectly. Though, he got very fortunate that Lebron went to Cleveland since no other asset as highly sought after like a Wiggins would have been dealt for an expiring Love

Gotta hand it to Flip, he played this perfectly. Though, he got very fortunate that Lebron went to Cleveland since no other asset as highly sought after like a Wiggins would have been dealt for an expiring Love
I agree, Flip should send King James a thank you card

Love on a max deal might be preferable, but wiggins has a chance to be a player that attracts other players. On the smaller salary flip will have funds to throw at second level players that don't end up in big markets. Just a thought...

Wait what's the deal for exactly?
I suspect the wolves get Wiggins, Bennett, a number one pick, and they get Philly in the mix and the Wolves also get Thaddeus Young from Philly, Cleveland gets Love, and some other unknown's from MN and the same for Philly. No way Flip messes this deal up, James wants Love to much

Anyone want to give me odds that it's Bennett, young , and the cavs pick to Minnesota and the heat pick to Philly and love to Cleveland?

Anyone want to give me odds that it's Bennett, young , and the cavs pick to Minnesota and the heat pick to Philly and love to Cleveland?
Could be, but if this was the case the deal would be done by now. I think the trade happens on 8/23 or 8/24 once Wiggins has 30 days under contract. I don't see it happening without Wiggins to MN

Being a Sixers fan is like being through the looking glass at this point. I'm irrationally excited about the thought of trading Thad for a guy who averaged 13 minutes and 4 points per game last season.

Wiggins+ for Love seems like one the Cavs are going to regret
Agree.
Best case scenario is Wiggins becomes S. Pippen. Pippen was 24 when he became a stud. Wiggins just turned 19. Love is going to be a force for the next 5-7 years, Lebron's prime. I'd give Wiggins a 15-20% shot at being as much of an impact, if not more, player as Love. That might even be generous. Even if Wiggins reaches that how much better will Cleveland be? Having to likely wait 2-3 years for Wiggins to mature makes it a no-brainer.

Originally I though Cleveland should wait and let their assets gain value playing with on a winning team with Lebron. But the downside outweighs the upside with waiting. Get Love now and don't try to hold onto Bennett and/or a #1 pick. Things change. Perhaps the Bulls are more enticing to Love come mid-season.

I think Wiggins and salary is enough for Love. But if it takes Wiggins, Bennett and a #1 for Love then so be it. Lock it in. Don't get greedy trade-wise.

K. Love is 25, can shoot and potentially win a rebounding title. It's a coup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Four anonymous NBA executives told The Arizona Republic that they don't think Eric Bledsoe deserves a maximum contract right now.
The restricted free agent has turned down a four-year, $48 million offer from the Suns in the hopes of landing a max deal with the Suns or another team. "He expected way too much," one executive said. "I'd love to have him, but he's not a max player. All it takes is one team, but one team hasn't made him an offer sheet." Absent of an offer from another team, the Suns hold most of the cards here so there's a good chance we see Bledsoe back in a Suns uniform for the 2014-15 season.

Source: Arizona Republic

Four anonymous NBA executives told The Arizona Republic that they don't think Eric Bledsoe deserves a maximum contract right now.

The restricted free agent has turned down a four-year, $48 million offer from the Suns in the hopes of landing a max deal with the Suns or another team. "He expected way too much," one executive said. "I'd love to have him, but he's not a max player. All it takes is one team, but one team hasn't made him an offer sheet." Absent of an offer from another team, the Suns hold most of the cards here so there's a good chance we see Bledsoe back in a Suns uniform for the 2014-15 season.

Source: Arizona Republic
They are right but it would be funny if the 4 anonymous NBA execs all worked for the Suns.

So who will be the last 4 cuts to the U.S. team? I'll wild-### guess Plumlee, DeRozen, Hayward, and Lillard. (And Lillard is getting the shaft.)

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
Slapdash said:
Wiggins+ for Love seems like one the Cavs are going to regret
It's a Cleveland sports team, so probably.On paper you can't really fault them for going for a 3 All-Star lineup right now.
Yeah. Just because it's Cleveland you've got to think this backfires somehow....

Abraham said:
Love on a max deal might be preferable, but wiggins has a chance to be a player that attracts other players. On the smaller salary flip will have funds to throw at second level players that don't end up in big markets. Just a thought...
I'm curious why Love wasn't that type of player. And for that matter why you think as such. Do you think Wiggins will be better than Love? Do you think Love is difficult to play with? Is it a positional thing? Situational?

Abraham said:
I'm curious why Love wasn't that type of player. And for that matter why you think as such. Do you think Wiggins will be better than Love? Do you think Love is difficult to play with? Is it a positional thing? Situational?
Unfortunately, if Wiggins becomes a top 10 type like Love is, I don't think he's any more likely to draw in other players. Essentially, if the Wolves are unable to build organically or through trade with their superstar, they are s.o.l. They need to get a young superstar and then hit again draft picks or mortgage the future for other quality players. Its just not easy to do.

I don't blame Love for wanting out as its much easier to jump into a perennial playoff team with another franchise; and he hits the jackpot by being a teammate of LeBron's and having a great chance to go deep in the playoffs every year. He gave us a few great years and I think it will be fun to watch him and LeBron and Kyrie.

Abraham said:
Unfortunately, if Wiggins becomes a top 10 type like Love is, I don't think he's any more likely to draw in other players. Essentially, if the Wolves are unable to build organically or through trade with their superstar, they are s.o.l. They need to get a young superstar and then hit again draft picks or mortgage the future for other quality players. Its just not easy to do.

I don't blame Love for wanting out as its much easier to jump into a perennial playoff team with another franchise; and he hits the jackpot by being a teammate of LeBron's and having a great chance to go deep in the playoffs every year. He gave us a few great years and I think it will be fun to watch him and LeBron and Kyrie.
and Dion.

Abraham said:

At least you have the Wild!

Abraham said:

Totally agree. I'm just not sold on Minnesota as a destination spot - which is what more and more of them are looking for it seems - for today's athlete. And certainly not today's NBAer.

Abraham said:

At least you have the Wild!
Yay

Kinda starting to think the whole "destination" aspect of NBA free agency is overblown.

Here's the 2014 free agents, as ranked by cbs sports. and their destinations. You have to go to 11 before you get to a guy leaving for a city that's generally considered a "destination," and I'm not sure that's really what motivated Loul Deng to go to the Heat. There's more guys going to clearly less exciting cities (LeBron, Paul Pierce, probably Vince Carter) than the other way around.

Obviously Kobe's awful contract skews the results, but still- who was the last top tier guy to make a lifestyle-based free agency move? LeBron and Bosh four years ago?

Kinda starting to think the whole "destination" aspect of NBA free agency is overblown.

Here's the 2014 free agents, as ranked by cbs sports. and their destinations. You have to go to 11 before you get to a guy leaving for a city that's generally considered a "destination," and I'm not sure that's really what motivated Loul Deng to go to the Heat. There's more guys going to clearly less exciting cities (LeBron, Paul Pierce, probably Vince Carter) than the other way around.

Obviously Kobe's awful contract skews the results, but still- who was the last top tier guy to make a lifestyle-based free agency move? LeBron and Bosh four years ago?
I don't recall any other teams seriously going for Deng.

Parsons and Stephenson both did it for that reason (I'll give you Parsons only because he didn't have a choice, but Houston is the suck) and so did Gasol. Gasol said as much himself. Everone else before 11 stayed where they were or made a reputation/running-from-a-7-title-claim-after-a-beatdown decision.

Counterpoint

Users who are viewing this thread