What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (2 Viewers)

Deng will rarely make the highlight reels, but he is a steady all-around player.
Yeah, hes gone from under rated when he first came in the league, to over rated (Bulls held up the Kobe trade because of him), to underrated because of his ####ty contract, to overrated again now. What you said is absolutely correct, he is a steady all around player and has been that exact player for his entire career.

How do you go 1 for 18?!?! Ouch.

Deng is a fantastic #3 option. No question about that. Bulls are very close to being best in the East (i still like the Celts this year, though I like them much less w/o Perkins).

Only real weakness Bulls have may be that 3-way revolving door at the 2, but Korver/Brewer/Bogans did combine for 17-5-3 tonight. I think Rose could stand improve on defense, but he's unstoppable offensively and could be MVP at this point.

Bosh had all kinds of open looks. It took a near NBA all-time worst shooting night to lose that game. Wow.
Bosh has been very consistent this year, so this is an aberration. I still think the Heat would beat the Bulls in the playoffs, but it would be close. Miller and Haslem were out - Miller just had an ear infection and couldn't travel, so he'll be back, but Haslem might not be ready.

Deng will rarely make the highlight reels, but he is a steady all-around player.
I am a Deng fan.LeBron should not have taken that three.
What you meant to say is Lebron should not take threes.
You figure he needs to take some to keep his defender off balance. But with the game on the line, I wouldn't think this is the best the Heat could put together. There was plenty of time to get a quick drive to the hoops and stretch the game out. Who knows, maybe Rose makes another dumb foul even. Definitely did not like the long jumper.

Looks like the Nuggets are going to play the entire team 20 minutes tonight. Already played 10 players in the first quarter.

Lebron looked like the mvp ay first with rose but is call this a draw.
James is now 0-5 against the Bulls and Celtics this year.
Actually he is 0-4. The 3 point loss to Chicago earlier in the year, Lebron didn't play. And I think it is much more fair to say the Heat are 0-5. Lebron has played very well. Wade has played awful against the Celts. 13, 8 and 16 are the points he has scored in their 3 meetings.Against the Celts, Lebron had 31 points, 4 rebus, 4 assts in a 1 point loss.35 points, 10 rebus, 9 assts in an OT loss22 points, 7 rebus, 7 assts in a 3 point loss

My favorite observation from tonight's Heat / Bulls game was that there was probably 8 or so minutes of game time where Tibs had Rose, Boozer and Noah on the bench at the same time

For a long stretch in the 3rd, probably 6 or so minutes, the Bulls basically handled the Heat with the likes of Korver , Brewer and Asik on the floor

Love the Rose bashing on this page, quality stuff. Rose made plays down the stretch, including kicking to a wide open teammate to hit the game winning shot. LeBron chucked a terrible 3 that didn't touch the rim. Ballgame.

Some unconnected thoughts...

So Rose is a horrible defender because he can't stay in front of Wade or LeBron while he blows by the likes of Paul and Williams with ease and they are great defenders. He is inconsistent at times on the defensive end and the team as a whole is very inconsistent on pick and roll defense. But it is silly to say he can't guard Wade so he is a bad defender. Highlighting when his man plays well on offense and ignoring the games when his man plays badly is typical of the analysis here.

As for Bosh, they payed him all that money to basically be Kurt Thomas? All he did all day was 15 foot jumpers and he grabbed 9 rebounds in 42 minutes. Granted he should hit 50% of those shots but so can Big Sexy. I know he is capable of much more but I will be happy if he plays that role against the Bulls in the playoffs.

Deng is exactly what he has always been with the exception of the new ability to hit the three from every angle. He is a very good man on man defender who will make star players work for their shot although he struggles with elite quickness like Wade. He is a good rebounder when needed but that isn't always a need on this current team. He is a very good motion offense player who has trouble creating his own shot. He has been all of those things his whole career. The long distance shooting which as come and gone this year is the only difference.

Asik is turning into a low post asset. He still is near clueless on offense but he grabbed 11 boards in 21 minutes and his presence changed multiple Heat shots. He has grown leaps and bounds this year. I am glad they didn't trade him for a marginal upgrade at SG.

Miami better get their half-court offense straightened out before the playoffs (and Rose did what he was suppose to do on defense after that initial Miami burst...get back and make Miami play in the half-court). They more than Boston or Chicago need the #1 seed.

The fight for the #1 seed in the East is going to be fun down the stretch.

Some unconnected thoughts...So Rose is a horrible defender because he can't stay in front of Wade or LeBron while he blows by the likes of Paul and Williams with ease and they are great defenders. He is inconsistent at times on the defensive end and the team as a whole is very inconsistent on pick and roll defense. But it is silly to say he can't guard Wade so he is a bad defender.
Did you miss him getting abused by Calderon on Wednesday?

Miami better get their half-court offense straightened out before the playoffs (and Rose did what he was suppose to do on defense after that initial Miami burst...get back and make Miami play in the half-court). They more than Boston or Chicago need the #1 seed. The fight for the #1 seed in the East is going to be fun down the stretch.
I don't think the Celts and their old legs will fight too hard for the # 1 seed. I'm not sure they are too concerned with home court.

So Rose is a horrible defender because he can't stay in front of Wade or LeBron while he blows by the likes of Paul and Williams with ease and they are great defenders. He is inconsistent at times on the defensive end and the team as a whole is very inconsistent on pick and roll defense. But it is silly to say he can't guard Wade so he is a bad defender.
agreed - I don't think Rose is a great defender by any means, but I don't think he's terrible either. He's about average or slightly below average for his position. Not trying to pick on you, Kev, but I don't like when people say a guy is a terrible defender because he gets lit up by somebody like Dwyane Wade (or Kobe, or LeBron, or Dwight, etc.). Nobody in the league can guard those guys.that was a damn good game last night - playoffs this year should be wild. I think the Celtics and Heat might still be a hair better than the Bulls in a seven game series, though. Chicago really needs to add a two guard that can score and hit threes while not getting abused defensively to round out their starting lineup - Brewer can't shoot, Korver can't defend, and Bogans can't do either of them consistently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bosh goes 1 for 18, 1 TO and 1 assist. One of his worst games ever... yet he had the 2nd highest plus/minus for the Heat last night at +2. Me thinks that stat is a little flawed.

Some unconnected thoughts...So Rose is a horrible defender because he can't stay in front of Wade or LeBron while he blows by the likes of Paul and Williams with ease and they are great defenders. He is inconsistent at times on the defensive end and the team as a whole is very inconsistent on pick and roll defense. But it is silly to say he can't guard Wade so he is a bad defender.
Did you miss him getting abused by Calderon on Wednesday?
Did you miss him almost completely stopping any penetration from Williams or Paul? Rose didn't play great defensively against the Raptors, true. But a large portion of the Calderon's assists were off the pick and roll where the Bulls have had a weakness of helping Rose when not needed and not rotating when the help is given. The same thing happened against Andre Miller and Williams/Paul got their assists off of mainly pick and rolls. The Bulls as a team need to work on what is their most significant defensive weakness although Noah rounding into shape gives them their best (and maybe only) pick and roll defending big man.

Some unconnected thoughts...So Rose is a horrible defender because he can't stay in front of Wade or LeBron while he blows by the likes of Paul and Williams with ease and they are great defenders. He is inconsistent at times on the defensive end and the team as a whole is very inconsistent on pick and roll defense. But it is silly to say he can't guard Wade so he is a bad defender. Highlighting when his man plays well on offense and ignoring the games when his man plays badly is typical of the analysis here.As for Bosh, they payed him all that money to basically be Kurt Thomas? All he did all day was 15 foot jumpers and he grabbed 9 rebounds in 42 minutes. Granted he should hit 50% of those shots but so can Big Sexy. I know he is capable of much more but I will be happy if he plays that role against the Bulls in the playoffs.Deng is exactly what he has always been with the exception of the new ability to hit the three from every angle. He is a very good man on man defender who will make star players work for their shot although he struggles with elite quickness like Wade. He is a good rebounder when needed but that isn't always a need on this current team. He is a very good motion offense player who has trouble creating his own shot. He has been all of those things his whole career. The long distance shooting which as come and gone this year is the only difference.Asik is turning into a low post asset. He still is near clueless on offense but he grabbed 11 boards in 21 minutes and his presence changed multiple Heat shots. He has grown leaps and bounds this year. I am glad they didn't trade him for a marginal upgrade at SG.
That was a good game. Finally exciting to watch the Bulls again.Deng has been great this year, and played probably his best game last night. He made some huge plays on both ends.That LeBron on Rose one on one play at the end was cool. Not sure why Wade came over to help, but Rose recognized it and Deng made a big time shot. I haven't been that into a regular season Bulls game since Jordan.

So Rose is a horrible defender because he can't stay in front of Wade or LeBron while he blows by the likes of Paul and Williams with ease and they are great defenders. He is inconsistent at times on the defensive end and the team as a whole is very inconsistent on pick and roll defense. But it is silly to say he can't guard Wade so he is a bad defender.
agreed - I don't think Rose is a great defender by any means, but I don't think he's terrible either. He's about average or slightly below average for his position. Not trying to pick on you, Kev, but I don't like when people say a guy is a terrible defender because he gets lit up by somebody like Dwyane Wade (or Kobe, or LeBron, or Dwight, etc.). Nobody in the league can guard those guys.that was a damn good game last night - playoffs this year should be wild. I think the Celtics and Heat might still be a hair better than the Bulls in a seven game series, though. Chicago really needs to add a two guard that can score and hit threes while not getting abused defensively to round out their starting lineup - Brewer can't shoot, Korver can't defend, and Bogans can't do either of them consistently.
It wasn't that he just got lit up by Wade, he couldn't stop Wade from getting to the hoop at all. There was constantly help coming over to stop Wade. If Bosh could have hit half of his jumpers like he usually does, Wade would have gone for 45 because the help would have been coming late off of Bosh giving him a free path to the hoop. And offensively Rose had a very good game, but lets not get carried away, he shot 9 of 24 from the field. This game would have been a 20 point blow out if Bosh had hit his WIDE OPEN jump shots and didn't have a historically bad night shooting.

That was a good game. Finally exciting to watch the Bulls again.Deng has been great this year, and played probably his best game last night. He made some huge plays on both ends.That LeBron on Rose one on one play at the end was cool. Not sure why Wade came over to help, but Rose recognized it and Deng made a big time shot. I haven't been that into a regular season Bulls game since Jordan.
Deng was amazing in the second half.

It wasn't that he just got lit up by Wade, he couldn't stop Wade from getting to the hoop at all. There was constantly help coming over to stop Wade. If Bosh could have hit half of his jumpers like he usually does, Wade would have gone for 45 because the help would have been coming late off of Bosh giving him a free path to the hoop. And offensively Rose had a very good game, but lets not get carried away, he shot 9 of 24 from the field. This game would have been a 20 point blow out if Bosh had hit his WIDE OPEN jump shots and didn't have a historically bad night shooting.
If you were playing a team that had a player shooting jump shot after jump shot without any success, would you help off him?You are smart enough to realize the Bulls left him open for a reason and if he started hitting shots, the strategy would have changed.

And there is too much in any game to assume if Bosh hits 9-18 that it would be a 20 point blowout, the Heat would have had a much better chance of winning but that would have changed the whole course of the game.

All that happened is the Bulls got a big win. Now we see if they have the legs to get a top 2 seed.

Just wanted to add that OKC officially became a title contender today with getting Perkins for Green.
What am I missing about Perkins? Other than the fact he's always angry about something. I just don't see how this put them over the top by any means?
They've gone from virtually nothing at the 5 to at least something. Something is basically what they needed to give them a real shot at beating the Lakers. Their defensive quickness, leaping ability and zone couldn't quite get them there previously. Perkins is the perfect fit for that team. Green was kind of redundant/useless with the emergence of Ibaka. I really hope the brackets work out so the Lakers avoid OKC and Portland to the greatest extent possible.On the flip side, even if the C's sign Murphy, it really looks like Ainge is planning for life after the lockout/lost season of 2011/2012 and hoping the O'Neals and big tubby can be just enough to get these old guys one more ring. I don't think he'll be able to have his cake and eat it too, he ####ed up the chemistry at a bad point in the season.

Kev what were your views of my boys Gallo, Will and Felton last night.

I have become somewhat of a Nuggets fan now as i really liked Gallo and Will. Gallo had a rough night shooting but like i told you his defense can be a lot better then people think. He shut down Pierce IMO and is still learning new system.

Chandler is just a great bench guy, can come in score 16, block a few and bound a bit.

Felton looks completely useless in denver and not sure why they couldnt swing him for something yesterday

he ####ed up the chemistry at a bad point in the season.
Shouldn't you wait at least more than 1 game to see if chemistry is ####ed up?
:nerd: Rondo was complaining about it last night in an interview. Besides that none of the guys currently left at the 5 on the roster bring what Perkins brought on the defensive side of the floor. Davis is closest, but not quite there. Since much of their success was predicated on being tough inside, I guess I can wait and see, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't have a pretty significant impact. You really think it's no big deal? Everyone else who's talking about it seems to think so.

Simmons lays out a nice argument for the trade today. he essentially thinks that (1) the hole at swingman was bigger then the hole created by Perk leaving (2) the Lakers are the only team out there looming where this clearly weakens the Celtics and (3) they wouldn't be able to afford Perkins in the offseason anyway. I still think that if you have a team ready to win now then worry about next year next year, but the argument makes a bit of sense.

Users who are viewing this thread