What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My Aunt and Cousin are Being Abused - Help (1 Viewer)

Steve Tasker

Footballguy
Apologies in advance for the long post. Some backstory:

My aunt (my dad's oldest sister - we'll call her Aunt A), uncle, and cousin live in a rural town about 60-75 minutes away from where my parents live. I do not see them very often, usually only on major holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. Aunt and uncle are in their mid/late 50s, and my cousin is 28. My aunt and cousin are both mentally handicapped. I can't really classify it....they are able to hold down menial jobs and can carry on interpersonal relationships but would struggle to fully manage their day-to-day lives, personal finances, personal hygiene, etc without help. My uncle is a retired ex-corrections officer/parole officer from a local prison. While it may not have much bearing on this, he weighs probably 450 lbs. They also have a son who worked his ### off to get out of there as soon as possible and is now a successful engineer living across the state. My understanding is that he hasn't seen his parents or sister in at least like 3 years now. I know that he hates his father, but have never heard any backstory on why.

They have always struggled with money. My aunt has never been able to work much, usually janitorial work at a local theme park, and my uncle was always notoriously stingy with his cash and generally very controlling of my aunt's activity. I haven't been to their house in probably 20 years now.

My father's other sister - we'll call her Aunt B - is a nurse and visits them fairly regularly to check up on them and make sure everything is okay. This past Saturday, she went out to lunch with Aunt A, my cousin, and my cousin's friend. Over the course of lunch, the friend revealed to Aunt B that my uncle has been hitting the two of them and verbally abusing them regularly. Aunt A and cousin confirmed this fact, saying that he hits them, shoves them into the walls, and verbally abuses them. Friend continued to say that the police have been called on multiple occasions, but that uncle seems to know all of the police officers in their town and nothing has ever happened.

It should be stated that cousin had an incident about 7 years ago where she claimed she was raped and a large investigation commenced on the matter. The man she accused was fully acquitted, and it was rumored after the fact that she had been coerced to claim rape as some kind of sick prank from some local kids whom she thought were her friends but were just ####### with her. Not sure if it matters but police may find her to be a less-than-credible witness based on this.

So after all of this, we are pretty worked up. My father is "making some phone calls" but I have no idea what that means. My grandparents both passed within the past 3 years so he has kinda taken the role of "family patriarch" so to speak. Normally I'd stay out of this, but it absolutely sickens me to think that my uncle could be abusing them. I don't want to rush to conclusions and have never had any indication that this is happening, but frankly it wouldn't really surprise me. Who should we be calling? Who can we turn to? Local crisis services type stuff? I'm not much of a tough guy but part of me wants to show up at his house and beat the #### out of him, but I know that's a bad idea. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez. That really sucks.

Serious question, and I apologize if it sounds insensitive....but how was your aunt able to legally enter into a marriage if she's mentally handicapped? What are the rules for something like that?

Jeez. That really sucks.

Serious question, and I apologize if it sounds insensitive....but how was your aunt able to legally enter into a marriage if she's mentally handicapped? What are the rules for something like that?
I don't know the rules on this. Like I said, it's hard to classify their disabilities - they are not totally handicapped but it is a pretty clear handicap if you were to meet them. Honestly, I don't think they'd be able to live independently without some very major help.

Have you talked to Aunt B? If she is a nurse, she probably has access to information about local social services that may be available to them. Aunt B may also have more evidence (since she sees them on a regular basis) that can be brought to the attention of authorities on their behalf. Crappy situation...wish I had more for you.

Is there a local shelter for the abused nearby? If so, perhaps your aunt and cousin could use their services. It may be a temporary solution, but it's a start.

1. Buy an RC car.

2. Buy a big, fat hoagie

3. Strap hoagie onto RC car.

4. Put hoagie car on uncle's front porch.

5. Doorbell ditch uncle

6. Uncle sees hoagie and starts for it.

7. You, using the controller, keep the hoagie just out of uncle's reach.

8. I give him about 1/2 a block, 1 block tops, before his heart explodes.

WALA

Have you talked to Aunt B? If she is a nurse, she probably has access to information about local social services that may be available to them. Aunt B may also have more evidence (since she sees them on a regular basis) that can be brought to the attention of authorities on their behalf. Crappy situation...wish I had more for you.
Also aren't nurses required reporters? I mean if she has evidence of abuse in most states nurses and doctors are required to report.

Also aren't nurses required reporters? I mean if she has evidence of abuse in most states nurses and doctors are required to report.
I believe they are mandated reporters in NY state. so she is probably a mandated reporter, yes.

Yes, I will have to talk with her. I got this information from my parents and don't want to step on any toes but I'm pretty shaken up about this one. I heard about it on Sunday and it really sank in last night that I don't want us to take this lightly. Pretty serious accusations.

Good luck, sounds like a really bad situation all around.

I would expect that Aunt B would know the Sheriff and his deputy really well.

Every state has a statewide agency called the "your state" coalition against domestic violence. Look up yours and call. They can give you information on resources and what you can do to help.

I don't know if it's the case in all states, but in Michigan if the police come out on a domestic disturbance call they are required to remove one of the participants from the home. For how long I don't know. Any time the cops are called they should film it with their cell phones if they have one.

In any case if he's abusing them, he probably won't stop with a "talking to". With money being tight, they should contact a domestic abuse shelter. There they could get emotional support they need, and a safe place to live. Since finances are an issue they might be able to get help with filing a PPO (Personal Protection Order). It's not that expensive to file, should be under $100. With that in place the police have no out if the Uncle comes near them. They have to take him away or face criminal charges themselves. They should speak to an attorney to file the PPO and to get further advice on their recourse.

PPO's are for at least a year or more while a restraining order is 6 months or more. Plus it is easier to renew a PPO than a restraining order.

State laws differ though and it's possible your state doesn't have PPOs or an equivalent. The attorney will know.

Sounds like the uncle cannot handle the emotional demands of living with aunt and cousin. I'm sure they all benefit financially from uncle's pension. Probably a good idea to try and get these two case managers through county or state's mental health programs. Might be X County Community Mental Health. XCCMH can assist with logistics of helping them move if need be. When this guy croaks they will likely lose the pension so they might need the SSDI benefits. Starting the process now with a case manager makes sense. Outside of that, you may consider a family intervention with the guy; encourage reduced daily physical contact to hopefully help him cope (maybe moving to a duplex with the uncle on one side is an option). Financially, it seems like a symbiotic relationship that might be worth trying to salvage in some form. Now, if a family member is willing to take aunt and cousin in for years and years I would have a different take. At the end of the day, it's their decision to leave or not.

Difference Between a PPO and Restraining Order

A Restraining Order is very similar to a Personal Protection Order, with the two main differences being the duration of the the order is valid for and the penalties for order violations.

TIME DURATION

Restraining orders are good for a period of time set by the court, determined on a case by case basis, usually at least six months, but sometimes for several years. Extensions are available, but must be requested and approved before the initial order expires. PPO's are in force for at least one year, but can be issued for longer duration's as the court sees fit. Orders of protection can also be renewed upon request to the court.

PENALTIES FOR VIOLATIONS

The penalties for violating a Restraining Order are fairly mild and pretty much limited to paying the court some fines / fees and facing a contempt charge. So, basically, you will need numerous violation to have anything actually "done". With a Personal Protection Order, criminal charges can be filed. These charges range from a misdemeanor to a felony, depending upon the circumstances of the violation and the number of violations already against the abuser.

Nothing to add, but best of luck. Tough situation. Sounds like there are resources available to your family.

No advice that hasn't already been given, but this sucks. Best of luck to them and to you.

Users who are viewing this thread