What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most completions in the playoffs without an INT (1 Viewer)

Has to now be Brees.

Question is what was the old record?

Bart Starr had something like 63 passes without an interception in the beginning of his playoff career.

In the 2009 playoffs, Brees had 72 completions on 102 attempts without an interception. (Both those numbers are new records, btw.)

The old record for completions was 65.

The old record for attempts was 89.

Brees accomplished his record over a 3 game stretch. Only 1 quarterback has played in 4 straight playoff games (in the same season) without throwing an interception. Can you name him?

It's probably the last guy you'd ever guess.

In the 2009 playoffs, Brees had 72 completions on 102 attempts without an interception. (Both those numbers are new records, btw.)The old record for completions was 65.The old record for attempts was 89.Brees accomplished his record over a 3 game stretch. Only 1 quarterback has played in 4 straight playoff games (in the same season) without throwing an interception. Can you name him?It's probably the last guy you'd ever guess.
Then probably Favre.

Only 1 quarterback has played in 4 straight playoff games (in the same season) without throwing an interception. Can you name him?It's probably the last guy you'd ever guess.
Trent Dilfer is my guess. He was very careful with the ball in the Ravens '00 playoff run.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the 2009 playoffs, Brees had 72 completions on 102 attempts without an interception. (Both those numbers are new records, btw.)The old record for completions was 65.The old record for attempts was 89.Brees accomplished his record over a 3 game stretch. Only 1 quarterback has played in 4 straight playoff games (in the same season) without throwing an interception. Can you name him?It's probably the last guy you'd ever guess.
Bradshaw?

Well Eason qualified for the no INTs, believe it or not, but he only had 48 attempts. He was my darkhorse :thumbup:

-QG

I doubt Dilfer had 89 attempts.
Don't think it has to be 89 attempts. That was the old record, but he did not say if it was by the same QB with 4 straight games in the playoffs. It's probably a RB or someone who only had a few passing attempts.

Just trying to think of wild card teams that went all the way.Elway?Roethlisberger?
Wild Card teams that had 4 playoff games:1980 Raiders1985 Patriots1992 Bills1997 Broncos1999 Titans2000 Ravens2005 Steelers2007 GiantsSo it's gotta be a QB from one of those teams.

Just trying to think of wild card teams that went all the way.

Elway?

Roethlisberger?
Wild Card teams that had 4 playoff games:1980 Raiders

1985 Patriots

1992 Bills

1997 Broncos

1999 Titans

2000 Ravens

2005 Steelers

2007 Giants

So it's gotta be a QB from one of those teams.
Tony Eason - 48 attempts. 0 for 6 in the SB.

Just trying to think of wild card teams that went all the way.Elway?Roethlisberger?
Wild Card teams that had 4 playoff games:1980 Raiders1985 Patriots1992 Bills1997 Broncos1999 Titans2000 Ravens2005 Steelers2007 GiantsSo it's gotta be a QB from one of those teams.
You forgot the 2003 Panthers and the 2008 Cardinals. Possibly some others, those were just the first two I noticed. My first thought was that it was Jake Delhomme, but after looking it up, he had 102 attempts and 1 INT in the playoffs... so, close, but no cigar.

You forgot the 2003 Panthers and the 2008 Cardinals. Possibly some others, those were just the first two I noticed. My first thought was that it was Jake Delhomme, but after looking it up, he had 102 attempts and 1 INT in the playoffs... so, close, but no cigar.
I was just going by the list at ProFootballHOF.com.This appears to be a more accurate list through 2008. It includes the two 1982 Super Bowl participants (Washington and Miami), who weren't technically "wild cards" due to the strike-shortened season.

TommyGilmore said:
SSOG said:
I was just going by the list at ProFootballHOF.com.This appears to be a more accurate list through 2008. It includes the two 1982 Super Bowl participants (Washington and Miami), who weren't technically "wild cards" due to the strike-shortened season.
You don't have to be a wildcard to play 4 games. The two divisional champs who don't earn byes also play 4 games- they play the wildcards in week 1, the teams that earned byes in week 2, the CCG in week 3, and the SB in week 4. That's why the Panthers and Cards slipped through the cracks- they were both division winners.

In the 2009 playoffs, Brees had 72 completions on 102 attempts without an interception. (Both those numbers are new records, btw.)

Brees accomplished his record over a 3 game stretch. Only 1 quarterback has played in 4 straight playoff games (in the same season) without throwing an interception. Can you name him?

Without looking, I'm going to guess Jim Plunkett. :pickle:

Tony Eason is the answer. He threw 5 TDs and 0 INTs during New England's 4-game playoff run in 1985-86. (Although it should be noted that Eason was knocked out of the Super Bowl in the 1st quarter, and his replacement went on to throw 2 picks).

Eason and Jeff Hostetler are the only quarterbacks in NFL history who never threw an interception in 5+ career playoff games.

Just trying to think of wild card teams that went all the way.

Elway?

Roethlisberger?
Wild Card teams that had 4 playoff games:1980 Raiders

1985 Patriots

1992 Bills

1997 Broncos

1999 Titans

2000 Ravens

2005 Steelers

2007 Giants

So it's gotta be a QB from one of those teams.
Tony Eason - 48 attempts. 0 for 6 in the SB.
Tony Eason is the answer. He threw 5 TDs and 0 INTs during New England's 4-game playoff run in 1985-86. (Although it should be noted that Eason was knocked out of the Super Bowl in the 1st quarter, and his replacement went on to throw 2 picks).

Eason and Jeff Hostetler are the only quarterbacks in NFL history who never threw an interception in 5+ career playoff games.
I kept looking for one that was more attempts than Eason, but couldn't find it.

The old record of 65 completions was set by Joe Montana in 1989. The old record of 89 attempts was set by Troy Aikman in 1992. Both set their records over a 3 game span.

Users who are viewing this thread