What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mistakes in FBG Depth Charts by Bob Henry (1 Viewer)

Drop

Footballguy
According to the website they claim to have been updated Sept 1, but the depth charts still show players that were officially cut.

Looking at the OL only stuff I noticed a few right away. BAL - Ramon Harewood. ARI - Chilo Rachal & Senio Kelemete. CHI - J'Marcus Webb (He's on MIN now I think)

I don't know what other mistakes there are, but here is a link to NFL.com player cuts: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000233304/article/roster-cuts-for-all-32-nfl-team you can use it to accurately update the depth charts so FBGers aren't working with incorrect info.

I'm not sure all this stuff works but I was guessing a site like this would update each day with some official depth chart released by each team. Maybe those teams have not released any updated depth chart?

I'm not sure all this stuff works but I was guessing a site like this would update each day with some official depth chart released by each team. Maybe those teams have not released any updated depth chart?
Arizona is up to date: http://www.azcardinals.com/team/depth-chart.htmlBaltimore is up to date: http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/depth-chart-2013.html

Chicago is up to date: http://www.chicagobears.com/team/depth-chart.html

Footballguys is not up to date.

If they've been "too busy" to update it, then I have to wonder what else they've been "too busy" to update.

If they've been "too busy" to update it, then I have to wonder what else they've been "too busy" to update.
All I'm saying is that if you expect timely updates, you'd probably have to pay more than 30 bucks for a subscription. No one wants that.
Its been a bad year at FBGs for preparation.

Not that it bothers my "preparedness" too much. And not that I wont continue to utilize FBGs.

All I'm saying is that if you expect timely updates, you'd probably have to pay more than 30 bucks for a subscription. No one wants that.
Its been a bad year at FBGs for preparation.

Not that it bothers my "preparedness" too much. And not that I wont continue to utilize FBGs.
Okay, then. :shrug:

Paypal me 15 bucks and I'll guarantee less timely updates, but at only half the price. Win-win for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some harsh folks here.

These guys put so much stuff out there, it's pretty unrealistic for everything to be up-to-date every day. Relax.

Any non-OL that people might actually care about? Or is the status of Chilo Rachal affecting your decision to draft Larry Fitzgerald?

I think that's it's reasonable to assume 3 days after the most significant cut day in the NFL that FBG should have accurate rosters listed on their website. I'm not even talking about incorrect depth speculation, merely an accumulation of facts regarding who is on what team. Here we are multiple days and updates later and it's still wrong.

I don't know if there are any non-OL people mistakes, which is my point. I can't trust the depth charts to be accurate without going through all of them myself. Someone here at FBG apparently gets paid to do it and they haven't done it.

I think it is worth noting that the Depth Charts are included in the free material. I don't personally hold them to a tremendously high standard on the free material but to each their own.

I'm generally not too nit picky when it comes to FBGs content - its amazing. But I do expect the depth charts to be accurate. Its my go to link in the middle of a draft if I have a question about the backups and I rely heavily on Draft Dominator and the depth chart feature.

I think it is worth noting that the Depth Charts are included in the free material. I don't personally hold them to a tremendously high standard on the free material but to each their own.
I pay for DD and use the depth chart heavily during a draft. I always assume its up to date. If I find I'm getting bad info from it, I'll stop paying for it.

I pay for DD and use the depth chart heavily during a draft. I always assume its up to date. If I find I'm getting bad info from it, I'll stop paying for it.
I would think that a lot more attention is paid to the skill positions. Not so concerned about the depth charts for OL or special teams gunners.

Harsh ? Please, it's a pay site and as such I would expect a certain level of "completeness."

If I ever said to my boss or my clients that he/they were being too harsh for what they pay for, I'd be out on my can toot quick...

I am the OL guy not Bob and it was all updated this afternoon. You might have to refresh.

Thanks and have an A-1 day.

I am the OL guy not Bob and it was all updated this afternoon. You might have to refresh.

Thanks and have an A-1 day.
OK thanks for making the corrections. Feel free to update the thread title. What happened, you had to have known about the cuts to 53 right?

I don't see LB Jayson DiManche listed on the FBG depth charts. DeQuin Evans isn't on there either, although he is suspended. Both are Bengals.

There is actually a way to send an email to FBG on the depth chart page to advise them of mistakes or omissions, and it works perfectly. I have sent emails to Bob a few times in the past from the depth chart page and it is usually addressed very quickly and I always get an email back thanking me. No need to call people out on the forums over this, and it is actually a free service for everyone to use, not just subscribers.

I don't know if there are any non-OL people mistakes, which is my point.
I noticed that Jimmy Clausen is still listed on the Panthers...
I think Pilares and Bruce Campbell were cut from the Panthers too. I think I'll just have to use Ourlads.com depth charts. Ironically right on the depth chart page top left, "FOOTBALLGUYS YOUR ONE STOP FANTASY SOURCE" Can't trust FBG right now.

I think Pilares and Bruce Campbell were cut from the Panthers too. I think I'll just have to use Ourlads.com depth charts. Ironically right on the depth chart page top left, "FOOTBALLGUYS YOUR ONE STOP FANTASY SOURCE" Can't trust FBG right now.
Bruce Campbell was IR'ed not cut.

I actually cross listed with Ourlads and their depth charts reflect the nominal starters for example Jim Cordle and Justin Pugh are not officially the starters with NYG but on FBG they have red text as an injury starters. I can't speak about LB or other position but my OL charts are straight from the NFL internet network aka the team pages and updated to reflect current real starter. two other examples where we are better than Ourlads is the Cowboys starting Free at RG and Parnell at RT and the Browns starting Oneil Cousins at RG. Thanks again for the feedback, it only makes us better.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000233304/article/roster-cuts-for-all-32-nfl-teams says Bruce Campbell was cut to 75. Panthers.com has Campbell, Clausen, and Pilares on IR. So what does that mean exactyl? Can they sign with another team? For instance Jeremy Maclin is on IR, but he was not listed on the cuts, whereas those Panthers were listed as cuts and IR. Is there a difference?

I want FBG to regain it's high standards and be the best out there so you're welcome for the feedback, but what happened that you weren't up on this stuff on cut day?

Did you relay the DiManche info to someone who can fix it? Do I have to?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000233304/article/roster-cuts-for-all-32-nfl-teams says Bruce Campbell was cut to 75. Panthers.com has Campbell, Clausen, and Pilares on IR. So what does that mean exactyl? Can they sign with another team? For instance Jeremy Maclin is on IR, but he was not listed on the cuts, whereas those Panthers were listed as cuts and IR. Is there a difference?
That all gets kind of complicated.

If a team is interested in keeping an injured player for the following year, it will just place him directly on IR, which is what the Eagles did with Maclin.

If a team doesn't necessarily want to keep an injured player for the following year, it will waive him first (allowing other teams the opportunity to sign him), and then once he clears waivers, it can either put him on IR or (if his injury will keep him out for less than the full season) reach an injury settlement with him and release him.

My understanding is that Campbell will be out for the year, so there won't be an injury settlement. The difference between him and Maclin is that the Panthers would have liked some other team to claim Campbell off of waivers (in which case the new team would be responsible for this year's salary and rehabilitation costs), while the Eagles wanted to keep Maclin for next year (even though it means they have to pay this year's salary and rehabilitation costs).

Because no team claimed Campbell off of waivers, and because he's not expected to be able to play at all this season, he cannot sign with another team until the Panthers release him after the season. (If he were expected to be healthy enough to play late in the season, he could have reached an injury settlement with the Panthers and then signed with another team even if nobody claimed him off of waivers.)

Right now you have V Ballard ahead of Bradshaw(close ranking on the cheat sheet) but Leshoure is still

listed ahead of Bell. On your cheat sheet Sproles is ahead of Ingram and Thomas but listed as 3rd on the

depth chart. According to your news blog B Powell has been named the starter who's listed behind C Ivory.

You also have Turbin ahead of Michael. You should change these sheets as the situation changes.

If I wanted a NFL depth chart I'd visit their site. I want the FF depth chart-yours should reflect this.

Right now you have V Ballard ahead of Bradshaw(close ranking on the cheat sheet) but Leshoure is still

listed ahead of Bell. On your cheat sheet Sproles is ahead of Ingram and Thomas but listed as 3rd on the

depth chart. According to your news blog B Powell has been named the starter who's listed behind C Ivory.

You also have Turbin ahead of Michael. You should change these sheets as the situation changes.

If I wanted a NFL depth chart I'd visit their site. I want the FF depth chart-yours should reflect this.
here is an article about lions depth chart... like you, i assumed bell had surpassed leshoure (still not sure he hasn't, but it doesn't seem to be reflected on team's most recent depth chart)...

http://sidelionreport.com/2013/09/03/detroit-lions-depth-chart-mikel-leshoure-holds-on-as-second-string-rb/

you clearly are aware of the differences between NFL depth charts and fantasy cheat sheets by citing examples from both... some, like myself, find the NFL depth charts useful, if you don't, it would seem safe to skip them.

you seem more interested in strictly fantasy-related info... sounds like the cheat sheets have that covered for your purposes?

* another example, seahawks depth chart still shows turbin ahead of michael... has their been definitive information from the team confirming that michael is ahead of turbin on depth chart? based on how he played, it is very possible he could be at any time, but i don't think the purpose of the depth chart is to be speculative...

http://www.seahawks.com/team/depth-chart.html

to the thread at large...

there has been some fair criticism in the thread, FBG isn't perfect, and feedback helps with corrections... the ongoing changes in the depth charts no doubt required more work than usual in the past week... i have no idea if bob is even aware of the thread... as has been pointed out upthread by others, contacting him directly is probably the best possible way to convey the information, that has always worked fine in my case (it sounds like others have reported this same experience).

not being a FBG shill :) , but personally i have found bob to be a great resource over the years... i know for a fact (personal communications) he takes it seriously, and it is an integral part of the overall FBG hierarchy (projections flow from knowledge of starters and depth, etc.)... it can't be easy to attempt to approximate 100% accuracy with so many changes on a daily basis this time of the year rippling across the league landscape...

how many players are in the NFL once the season starts? 32 X 53 = 1,696... bob is responsible for all non-OL offense AND all defense... i've seen a handful of possible oversights noted above, and other instances where i'm not sure that is even applicaple (see DET and SEA instances above)? so the actual oversights are probably fairly low on a percentage basis (albeit higher than 0%)... not to slight them, we strive to be as accurate as possible...

feedback is appreciated... and contacting him directly is the best way to make sure the correction gets to where it needs to...

but hopefully a few oversights don't cause some to throw the baby (something like a 99.X accuracy rate) out with the bath water.

There is actually a way to send an email to FBG on the depth chart page to advise them of mistakes or omissions, and it works perfectly. I have sent emails to Bob a few times in the past from the depth chart page and it is usually addressed very quickly and I always get an email back thanking me. No need to call people out on the forums over this, and it is actually a free service for everyone to use, not just subscribers.
Bingo. It is not part of any paid feature and I like the layout of it. That said I also agree with others that I rely on it heavily in the middle of drafts if I am looking up a WR3/4 situation on a team. Sometimes I think FBG knows something when they have a certain player on the depth chart ahead of another. Some folks take those depth charts very seriously especially this time of year. I think some folks are asking while others are trying to shame the owners somehow on a free forum that a small % of the actual subscribers even post or read on.

Bingo. It is not part of any paid feature and I like the layout of it. That said I also agree with others that I rely on it heavily in the middle of drafts if I am looking up a WR3/4 situation on a team. Sometimes I think FBG knows something when they have a certain player on the depth chart ahead of another. Some folks take those depth charts very seriously especially this time of year. I think some folks are asking while others are trying to shame the owners somehow on a free forum that a small % of the actual subscribers even post or read on.
I pay for DD, and use its depth chart as a main tool in my drafts. I've always assumed/expected its up to date for the skill positions.

zamboni said:
Some harsh folks here.

These guys put so much stuff out there, it's pretty unrealistic for everything to be up-to-date every day. Relax.
Isn't that the problem? Quality over quantity any day of the week for me.

So far we have 2 staffers arguing with people then thanking them for their feedback. Maybe don't say anything.
Funny, I didn't see any arguing-just legitimate responses, like explaining that a team's depth chart may not match fantasy predictions. Both are fluid, and the guy who is 2nd team on the depth chart now may be 3rd team in a month. If those making fantasy predictions feel that's likely, they need to predict fantasy points accordingly, while the people providing depth charts pretty much have to stay with what the team says it is. I love the "no-win" situation you want to put them in: if they explain what they've done, they're "arguing" and shouldn't say anything. If they don't say anything, you can snipe at them for not responding and not caring what subscribers think. The only other option is to fall on their knees and beg your forgiveness, I guess. Of course, then you'd probably attack them for thinking an apology cures everything.

FBGs Depth Chart has always been a little shakey. The only assured way to have a depth chart is to get the one released by the team

If it's an NFL depth chart-you should state this on the page. Thanks for the clarification.

FBG's does a great job with a lot of things, I'll be skipping the depth charts though. Any

chance you have a separate O-line page showing the continuity of the players? you can't

click on the O-line guys in your current chart.

If I'd get off my ### and start depthcharts.com then we wouldnt have to rake these guys up over a few minor details....I apologize, its my fault

:)

Users who are viewing this thread