What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Missing Submarine Viewing Titanic Wreckage (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwayne Hoover

Footballguy
Developing story here, a few billionaires decided to charter a sub to view the Titanic wreckage and now it is missing.

Estimations are that they have about 40 hours of air left. The sub could very well be below the depths that a rescue could even be attempted and that's IF it is even located. At best, they will need help from the military to save them.

Things are definitely looking grim at the moment. I can't understand paying money to do this, even if I had that kind of money, like this would be of zero interest to me. Still feel bad for them. can't imagine the sheer terror they are feeling if they are still alive at the moment.

The rest of the internet does not have too much compassion, if you want to see a lot of callous and sarcastic comments about it, Twitter is a good source.

The rest of the internet does not have too much compassion, if you want to see a lot of callous and sarcastic comments about it
There was a thread on this already that I no longer see. I suspect it may have been removed from here for this very reason.

I've read two theories that a leak developed which would have caused an immediate implosion.

Also read that it could be "stuck" somewhere on the Titanic wreckage.

I really hope the second scenario is not true. That's terrifying.

They seem to be limited by the number of vessels that can travel that deep. Why on earth is this even a thing tourists can do if there aren't available options to go and rescue?

The rest of the internet does not have too much compassion, if you want to see a lot of callous and sarcastic comments about it
There was a thread on this already that I no longer see. I suspect it may have been removed from here for this very reason.
Yeah I swore I saw one before I knew what the story was. Then I thought I was imagning it when I went looking for it. I don't have much to add other than it seemed like a bizarre operation.

I've read two theories that a leak developed which would have caused an immediate implosion.

They seem to be limited by the number of vessels that can travel that deep. Why on earth is this even a thing tourists can do if there aren't available options to go and rescue?
and does it not have some kind of homing/tracking? Is that not possible that deeo in the ocean?

and does it not have some kind of homing/tracking? Is that not possible that deeo in the ocean?

I think that's the basis for the implosion theory. The fact that there is no communication/tracking.

I think that's the basis for the implosion theory. The fact that there is no communication/tracking.
That would make sense.

Does "missing" in this case mean that it didn't come back by the time it was supposed to, or did they have some kind of contact with it like radio contact that they no longer have? If they had contact but lost it then it seems extremely likely it was destroyed.

Does "missing" in this case mean that it didn't come back by the time it was supposed to, or did they have some kind of contact with it like radio contact that they no longer have? If they had contact but lost it then it seems extremely likely it was destroyed.

It's supposed to ping the mother ship every 15 minutes. When they were 1:45 into the 2-hour descent the last ping was sent. Next ping should have been at "the bottom", was never received.

Believed a British billionaire/explorer, his son, and the CEO of the submarine company are on board, with a pilot, and one other passenger.

Last year the same ship also lost contact for 2-3 hours but eventually reconnected.

Even if you found it how would you get it to the surface?

The only way they are making it out of this (assuming they are still alive) is if we get an Abyss type ending.

CBS This Morning story on this vessel from a few months back. https://youtu.be/29co_Hksk6o

The 2:40 mark tells you why you’d have to be nuts to go on this voyage.

5:30 too where their test dive made it down 30 feet before they had to scrap it.

They control the whole thing with a recycled video game controller. This is absolutely bonkers.

Navy subs also use Xbox controllers. It's not that weird. Recruits already know the controls.

Last edited:
CBS This Morning story on this vessel from a few months back. https://youtu.be/29co_Hksk6o

The 2:40 mark tells you why you’d have to be nuts to go on this voyage.

5:30 too where their test dive made it down 30 feet before they had to scrap it.

They control the whole thing with a recycled video game controller. This is absolutely bonkers.

Navy subs also use Xbox controllers. It's not that weird. Recruits already know the controls.
Yep. I work for a large defense company and we fly unmanned helos with them.

Sad. Hopefully those who participated were informed and intelligent enough to understand the risk they were taking on.

It's supposed to ping the mother ship every 15 minutes. When they were 1:45 into the 2-hour descent the last ping was sent. Next ping should have been at "the bottom", was never received.

Apparently it can just send a text message back and forth. No radio or GPS onboard.

Assuming it's on the bottom, even if they found out exactly where it was right now, would there be anything they could do? Could they find something capable of dragging it up, transport that out there to the middle of nowhere, and get it down to the bottom and back up again in the less than 40 hours of air they have left?

At the meeting Lochridge discovered why he had been denied access to the viewport information from the Engineering department—the viewport at the forward of the submersible was only built to a certified pressure of 1,300 meters, although OceanGate intended to take passengers down to depths of 4,000 meters. Lochridge learned that the viewport manufacturer would only certify to a depth of 1,300 meters due to experimental design of the viewport supplied by OceanGate, which was out of the Pressure Vessels for Human Occupancy (“PVHO”) standards. OceanGate refused to pay for the manufacturer to build a viewport that would meet the required depth of 4,000 meters.

Assuming it's on the bottom, even if they found out exactly where it was right now, would there be anything they could do? Could they find something capable of dragging it up, transport that out there to the middle of nowhere, and get it down to the bottom and back up again in the less than 40 hours of air they have left?
Probably not but the news said there only hope would be the US Navy

Apparently it can just send a text message back and forth. No radio or GPS onboard.

I don't think normal radio or GPS work at the depths this thing is at. Even for rudimentary radio they'd probably need an antenna 10x longer than the sub itself to receive at the size of the wavelengths required.

I don't think normal radio or GPS work at the depths this thing is at. Even for rudimentary radio they'd probably need an antenna 10x longer than the sub itself to receive at the size of the wavelengths required.
After seeing how piecemeal the subs are put together from that news video, I’m confident they have 2 really good tin cans and a really long piece of string to handle communication.

it’s 12,500 feet below the sea. just pop the door and swim up. wa la
Evidently it's bolted shut, from the outside.
Yea, this is nuts. It could be floating on the surface and they still would perish because of lack of oxygen
Like most people, I've only become an expert on deep-sea exploration in the past 24 hours. But from what I've read, the possibility that you're describing -- something goes wrong under water, the craft surfaces, and is now drifting lost at sea with everyone at very real risk of death from oxygen deprivation -- was completely predictable. How do you not have some kind of homing beacon to trigger in such an event? That would cost almost nothing and could theoretically save five lives.

Granted, the sub probably imploded. But still.

Yea, this is nuts. It could be floating on the surface and they still would perish because of lack of oxygen
Like most people, I've only become an expert on deep-sea exploration in the past 24 hours. But from what I've read, the possibility that you're describing -- something goes wrong under water, the craft surfaces, and is now drifting lost at sea with everyone at very real risk of death from oxygen deprivation -- was completely predictable. How do you not have some kind of homing beacon to trigger in such an event? That would cost almost nothing and could theoretically save five lives.

Granted, the sub probably imploded. But still.
Seriously, I have an EPIRB on my fishing boat. It costs like $500.

Missing Titanic Sub Once Faced Massive Lawsuit Over Depths It Could Safely Travel To​

Court documents reveal a former OceanGate employee had several safety complaints over the tourist submersible—and then he was fired.​

Oy

This story is so horrific. I realize thousands of innocents die every day worldwide, but this is so awful. A man and his 19 year old son on board.

Being honest....I had no idea people have gone gown to the wreckage before. Always thought they were unmanned

This story is so horrific. I realize thousands of innocents die every day worldwide, but this is so awful. A man and his 19 year old son on board.
Absolutely horrible. Again, I hope nobody was being duped or mislead about the dangers of this trip. I would think people would do their research before taking such a trip. It sounds like other than the billionaire and his son, the people on board considered themselves adventurers. So they likely knew and were always willing to take great risks for the sake of a challenge. It sounds like they have 40 hours of Oxygen left so it's still not impossible they are rescued alive.

Absolutely horrible. Again, I hope nobody was being duped or mislead about the dangers of this trip. I would think people would do their research before taking such a trip. It sounds like other than the billionaire and his son, the people on board considered themselves adventurers. So they likely knew and were always willing to take great risks for the sake of a challenge. It sounds like they have 40 hours of Oxygen left so it's still not impossible they are rescued alive.
The CEO of the company was on board, literally went down with the ship. He obviously didn't think the risks outweighed his decision to get on board.

The CEO of the company was on board, literally went down with the ship. He obviously didn't think the risks outweighed his decision to get on board.
Right, and so we are willing to believe the guy, because what better proof the guy believes in the thing? He's coming with you!

How could anyone know they needed a viewport safe to 4,000 meters, and the CEO was like, 'nah we good with this one for 1,500 meters'?

Coast Guard seemed confident they would find it if on the surface. Conditions are clear today. Although they didn't say "when" they would find it
Problem is they painted it white. That's going to be hard to see in the waves/vastness of the ocean. Should have gone neon pink or orange, some unnatural color, to make it stand out.

I suppose having the founder and CEO of the company with you probably gives some level of confidence. They've been taking these dives for a couple years now, so there's a track record as well.

I suppose having the founder and CEO of the company with you probably gives some level of confidence. They've been taking these dives for a couple years now, so there's a track record as well.
I thought I read this was only the third one from this operation

Right but the CEO can also be the least reliable person when it comes to giving an outlook on a company’s operations.

Sure but there’s also a point where you’ve invested so much time, money, energy, thought into something that you are blind to the be risks or simply unwilling to acknowledge them because it would almost be like admitting you were wrong. It’s like the tailor who believed he could make a suit that opened up like a parachute and allow anyone to jump from a tall building and land safely. Despite literally everyone from experts to loved ones begging him not to do it, he went ahead and jumped to his death from the Eiffel Tower. He was the only person in the world who thought it could possibly work because he had convinced himself he could it and devoted his life to it.

Last edited:

Missing Titanic Sub Once Faced Massive Lawsuit Over Depths It Could Safely Travel To​

Court documents reveal a former OceanGate employee had several safety complaints over the tourist submersible—and then he was fired.​

Oy
After reading that, I'm going to assume it was a catastrophic failure. Viewport certified to less than half the depth they were going, and the concerns of the carbon fiber hull potentially tearing and not being fully tested out. Oof.

It’s like the tailor who beloved he could make a suit that opened up like a parachute and allow anyone to jump from a tall building and land safely. Despite literally everyone from experts to loved ones begging him not to do it, he went ahead and jumped to his death from the Eiffel Tower. He was the only person in the world who thought it could possibly work because he had convinced himself he could it and devoted his life to it
I saw a documentary on the Wright brothers that showed footage from that. Quite bizarre even for then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread