What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Miles Boykin - official thread - WR - Notre Dame (1 Viewer)

Miles Boykin caught all three of his targets for 32 yards and one touchdown in the Ravens' Week 4 loss to the Browns.

Boykin has a couple touchdowns in the early going this season, but he was fourth on the team in targets Sunday and is too far down the totem pole for looks in this low-volume passing game.

Sep 29, 2019, 6:46 PM ET

Mile Boykin caught both of his targets for 55 yards in the Ravens' Week 7 win over the Seahawks.

Boykin led the Ravens in receiving yards. Even with Marquise Brown (ankle) out the last two weeks, Boykin has just four grabs for 83 scoreless yards. Boykin is well off the fantasy radar in this run-heavy attack.

Oct 20, 2019, 8:01 PM ET

Half way through rookie season and wondering how people are evaluating Boykin's talent in Dynasty?  

9 receptions (13 targets) for 131 yards and 2 TDs.

This is far less than I was hoping given his consistent performance in off season and preseason.  That being said, for a rookie third round pick, he has caught a high percentage of his targets for good yardage and scored 2/13 times.  

How does he compare to other rookie WRs this season?

What is his trade value in ppr dynasty?

Is he a good stash for a year 2 jump? I wouldn't expect the Ravens to be adding a lot of passing weapons this offseason after drafting Hollywood and Boykin to go with breakout TE Mark Andrews.

Does Boykin see a significant bump in playing time/targets in year 2? It would be hard for him not to...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mailbag: Sizing Up the Depth Chart With Potential Rookie Starters

Excerpt:

@RavensNation57

Who would be the strongest candidate to play across Hollywood Brown ?

Snead , Boykin , or Duvernay ?#RavensMailbag

Mink: I don't think it matters all that much because I expect the Ravens will rotate their receivers (outside of Hollywood) a great deal. With that said, I think it would be Miles Boykin. He makes the most sense as the other "outside" wide receiver in a two-WR set because he's a big-bodied, fast, boundary receiver.

Boykin didn't have a huge impact as a third-round rookie last year (13 catches, 198 yards, three touchdowns), but he still made 11 starts and the Ravens have confidence that he can take a Year 2 leap. Boykin has all the tools and flashed them at times last year. An offseason getting more comfortable with the offensive scheme will help, though a COVID-impacted offseason hurts for a player that needs more reps to take the next leap. I'm glad the Ravens have Snead, who also started 11 games last year, because you know exactly what you're getting from him on Week 1.

As far as Duvernay and Proche, Duvernay has a good chance to see some significant snaps as a rookie, particularly as a slot receiver. The Ravens receiver corps needed more speed on the field and Duvernay brings it, along with reliable hands and toughness that will endear him to coaches. Barring injuries, there's too much depth for Proche to have a big impact on offense as a rookie, but he can carve out a role as a returner.

Given all the off season noise Boykins created, I am not giving up on him in favor of another third round rookie until he shows he can't get it done. Let's see how things look in the preseason in terms of usage.

Given all the off season noise Boykins created, I am not giving up on him in favor of another third round rookie until he shows he can't get it done. Let's see how things look in the preseason in terms of usage.
:confused:  off-season noise from Boykin? What happened? 

So depth charts have listed Boykin as the starting Y receiver with Snead being the slot guy. I was wondering where his draft stock was (14 team Standard) and I couldn't find him. I thought i spelled the name wrong and typed it again... nothing. That's when I realized he wasn't being drafted in the first 250 picks.

Obviously if Boykin is the starting receiver and his stock is still sub-12 round there is insane value to be had. He has the measurables to become an big-time receiver (think Allen Robinson). If he can manifest possession WR traits quickly the Baltimore WR hierarchy definitely could become a 1a/1b situation.

Watching from a distance, it seems Boykin may have a less than stellar initial burst and maybe focus/desire issues? Can anyone local to the Ravens or even Notre Dame comment. I own a couple of shares, largely off Waldman's endorsement, but he seemed to be used less rather than more as his underwhelming rookie season wore on?

Watching from a distance, it seems Boykin may have a less than stellar initial burst and maybe focus/desire issues? Can anyone local to the Ravens or even Notre Dame comment. I own a couple of shares, largely off Waldman's endorsement, but he seemed to be used less rather than more as his underwhelming rookie season wore on?
I’d still stand by my presumption pre-draft. Yes he tested well in speed at the combine, but that’s much less his game than is possession. 

Drafted to the Ravens, his production feels more against Andrews than it does against Hollywood. Assuming the roster stays as-is without some crazy like AB, look at him to take shares Hurst was getting last year underneath and maybe a game or two where his speed might give him one of those big plays his speed says he’s capable of. 

He’s being drafted in the right place as the third, at best, option in a run first offense that also added Dobins and some comparable WR talent in the draft. 

Ravens follower here. My thoughts.....

I think Boykin, like a lot of great athletes coming out of college, got gut-punched last year by superior pro athletes and struggled. 

He also came into an amoeba offense which called on its WRs to be good blockers (hence, Willie Snead getting extended). He wasn't ready for that.

The thing is, the Ravens don't have anyone else like him that isn't a TE. His RZ efficiency was nice in limited opportunities.

I think the lost off-season hurts him more than just about anyone on the team, but - again - Baltimore did nothing to replace him. I think they like him a lot and they have traditionally not had a problem cutting bait with a guy that doesn't fit.

If I'm in a deep-roster league, I hold on for another year.

Ravens follower here. My thoughts.....

I think Boykin, like a lot of great athletes coming out of college, got gut-punched last year by superior pro athletes and struggled. 

He also came into an amoeba offense which called on its WRs to be good blockers (hence, Willie Snead getting extended). He wasn't ready for that.

The thing is, the Ravens don't have anyone else like him that isn't a TE. His RZ efficiency was nice in limited opportunities.

I think the lost off-season hurts him more than just about anyone on the team, but - again - Baltimore did nothing to replace him. I think they like him a lot and they have traditionally not had a problem cutting bait with a guy that doesn't fit.

If I'm in a deep-roster league, I hold on for another year.
Duvernay or Boykin?

Different roles. Duvernay is 5' 11" and 200 lbs., he'd compete with Willie Snead for the slot.
Yes but there are limited targets in this offense. LJ seems most comfortable throwing to the middle of the field. If Duvernay wins the slot job I favor him over Boykin by a large margin. Boykin will be an outside target and potentially the 4th-5th guy in line for attention. 

Yes but there are limited targets in this offense. LJ seems most comfortable throwing to the middle of the field. If Duvernay wins the slot job I favor him over Boykin by a large margin. Boykin will be an outside target and potentially the 4th-5th guy in line for attention. 
Duvernay is a senior year declare with a 22 year old breakout against Big 12 competition and not great ahtleticism. I think he is a nice player but the odds are so heavily tilted against him just from thise facts. There is some track record of success for 20 year old breakouts (not much), next to nothing for 21 year old breakouts, and even less for 22.

I would shoot my shot with Boykin’s athletic profile netting a DJ Chark like breakout (maybe not quite the same—Ravens would need to throw more for that) and taking up some of Hurst’s targets pretty easily before going with Duvernay. I think Duvernay will be better a real life player as a chain mover/security blanker than fantasy

I saw a blurb awhile back saying Jackson is working on the sideline throws more this offseason. I don't recall watching him and thinking he had a weakness but if this is one, and he is working on it, it stands to reason that he may attempt more outside throws this year. To stretch, test and improve that skill. If he makes even modest improvement then maybe Boykin has a little higher floor than we think? With TD upside. 

Just a thought. I'm still taking the under. I want Andrews and Brown and then I'm done but I do wonder what we might see if Jackson improves. I suspect that just means more points for Andrews, Brown and Dobbins.

Jonas Shaffer @Jonas_Shaffer

WR Miles Boykin says he didn't know how to take care of his body last year. He didn't want to say he was hurting last year, but he's acknowledged that he needed some time to recover after last season ended.

He said he feels "great" so far. At this point last year, he didn't.
https://twitter.com/jonas_shaffer/status/1296836326898229249?s=21

Baltimore Ravens @Ravens

"Anytime the ball is in the air, I'm 6'4", 225, it's gotta be mine." @MBoykin814
https://twitter.com/ravens/status/1296837308793204737?s=21

I saw a blurb awhile back saying Jackson is working on the sideline throws more this offseason. I don't recall watching him and thinking he had a weakness but if this is one, and he is working on it, it stands to reason that he may attempt more outside throws this year. To stretch, test and improve that skill. If he makes even modest improvement then maybe Boykin has a little higher floor than we think? With TD upside. 

Just a thought. I'm still taking the under. I want Andrews and Brown and then I'm done but I do wonder what we might see if Jackson improves. I suspect that just means more points for Andrews, Brown and Dobbins.
Sideline throws were definitely a weakness for Jackson last year. I think there's some chicken-egg stuff with that. Jackson didn't look confident on those throws, so the Ravens didn't call them very often; the Ravens didn't call them very often because everything else worked so well and Jackson didn't get acclimated to those passes.

He also didn't seem to have a lot of faith in his receivers on those routes - which is where Boykin comes into play. He struggled mightily last year getting used to the NFL. If Boykin is as improved as the reports out of camp indicate (keep in mind that every player seems to be on a HOF path in camp), I could see him with something like 40-50 catches for 500-600 yds and half a dozen TDs.

Sideline throws were definitely a weakness for Jackson last year. I think there's some chicken-egg stuff with that. Jackson didn't look confident on those throws, so the Ravens didn't call them very often; the Ravens didn't call them very often because everything else worked so well and Jackson didn't get acclimated to those passes.

He also didn't seem to have a lot of faith in his receivers on those routes - which is where Boykin comes into play. He struggled mightily last year getting used to the NFL. If Boykin is as improved as the reports out of camp indicate (keep in mind that every player seems to be on a HOF path in camp), I could see him with something like 40-50 catches for 500-600 yds and half a dozen TDs.
Makes sense. Yeah I didn't really watch Jackson with that kind of an eye last year. The lens I was looking through had sound effects that went "cha ching cha ching". I just saw him and the Ravens crushing.

I think they're going to try and stretch that skill for him. I'm probably not taking Boykin anywhere. 

Ravens offensive coordinator Greg Roman said the team anticipates WR Miles Boykin becoming a more consistent part of the offense in 2020 as the team's big, downfield threat. 

"[We are] really going to load his plate a lot more this year and really ask a lot of him this year," Roman said of the second-year wideout, who caught three touchdowns on just 22 targets in 2019. "We really feel like he’s going to take a giant step." Boykin, who led the team last year in yards per reception in his limited usage, would likely take a backseat to Dez Bryant if Baltimore signs the veteran after working him out this month. Boykin (6'4/220) could be an intriguing fantasy stash if he's running a good number of pass routes and seeing at least some opportunity behind Marquise Brown and Mark Andrews in the season's first few weeks. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Aug 26, 2020, 11:18 AM ET

Makes sense. Yeah I didn't really watch Jackson with that kind of an eye last year. The lens I was looking through had sound effects that went "cha ching cha ching". I just saw him and the Ravens crushing.

I think they're going to try and stretch that skill for him. I'm probably not taking Boykin anywhere. 
The beauty is, you probably don't have to. In regular redraft leagues with a 6-7 player bench, he hardly ever gets drafted.  Keep him on your waiver wire speed dial.

Miles Boykin caught 4-of-5 targets for 38 yards in Baltimore's Week 3 win over the Texans.

Boykin has quietly seen at least four targets and played 40 snaps in both of Baltimore's contests this year. With a competitive game script against the Chiefs on deck, fantasy players should expect Boykin's usage to surprise as Lamar Jackson is inevitably asked to dropback and throw the ball at an increased rate. Boykin is a player worth being ahead of on waiver wires prior to Week 3.

Sep 20, 2020, 9:50 PM ET

Trying to decide if this guy is a hold. He does enough to keep you interested but not enough to be any good. 

Miles Boykin caught 1-of-3 targets for a 38-yard touchdown in the Ravens' Week 13 win over the Cowboys.

Boykin only started the game because Dez Bryant tested positive for COVID-19 minutes before kickoff. His lone play was aided by yet another blown assignment by the Cowboys' back seven. He slipped behind a linebacker for an easy 38-yard score, his second of 2020. With Willie Snead and Mark Andrews potentially back, Boykin is off the fantasy radar completely.

Dec 8, 2020, 11:26 PM ET

Jackson missed an open Boykin on at least two other occasions last night, one of them being a pass that he skipped like a rock to Boykin that otherwise would have been a TD.

we every getting a rename @bicycle_seat_sniffer?

Miles Boykin caught 1-of-2 targets for 43 yards and a touchdown in the Ravens' Week 17 win over the Bengals. 

Boykin caught the long touchdown wide open down the seam for one of Lamar Jackson's three passing scores. He had three touchdowns this season on 18 catches. Boykin remains on the periphery of the team's low-volume passing attack as Baltimore heads into the postseason. 

- Rotoworld
This guy arguably is more talented than Brown, he just needs the routes/trust of the staff.

The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec reports WR Miles Boykin has "not been consistently involved like he was the previous two training camps" during Baltimore's 2021 camp.

While Sammy Watkins shines in Ravens training camp practices, Boykin has largely faded to the background of the team's receivers room. The big-bodied wideout, drafted in the third round of the 2019 draft, has a meager 464 receiving yards in his first two years with the Ravens. Zrebiec said Boykin's blocking ability could ensure he makes the final roster, likely as a special teams player. The team's rejuvenated wideout core -- including rookies Rashod Bateman and Tylan Wallace -- means Boykin has an exceedingly narrow path to fantasy relevance in 2021. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 2, 2021, 8:42 AM ET

Ravens WR Miles Boykin made the team's initial 53-man roster. 

The third-year wideout's roster spot was very much in question after the Ravens brought in an influx of receiver talent this offseason. He had a quiet training camp and preseason while Sammy Watkins wowed coaches and beat writers. He'll be relegated to run blocking and a rotational role on passing downs if he's still with the team in Week 1. Talk of the massive Boykin converting to tight end was slapped down by head coach John Harbaugh in March.

- Jonas Shaffer, Twitter
I have a feeling if the other WRs were fully healthy Boykin would have been cut. For some reason he just can't make any headway as an NFL WR. This guy dominated preseason a few years ago but can't put it together...

Ravens placed WR Miles Boykin (hamstring) on injured reserve.

Boykin will miss at least the first three games of the season. After playing heavy snaps a year ago, Boykin has been pushed down the depth chart with the additions of Sammy Watkins and first-rounder Rashod Bateman. Boykin had a quiet camp and is expect to be no more than the Ravens' fourth wideout.

Sep 1, 2021, 8:38 PM ET

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Ravens are attempting to trade Miles Boykin.

A third-round pick back in 2019, Boykin has just 33 career catches and struggled last season with a finger injury, so it is not a surprise the Ravens are looking to move on. Boykin does have good size and tested extremely well coming out of college. It would not be a surprise if some team takes a flier on him. Boykin is owed $2.54 million in the final year of his rookie deal. 

SOURCE: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Mar 10, 2022, 12:52 PM ET

Steelers claimed WR Miles Boykin off waivers from the Ravens.

The Steelers will take on the final year of Boykin's rookie contract. Boykin has been mostly anonymous for Baltimore, but as an outside ball-winner he was never really a good fit in Baltimore's offense with Lamar Jackson. The Steelers don't have a lot behind Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool at wideout, with Anthony Miller and Gunner Olszewski as the main receivers of note. Boykin could find his way into the fantasy discussion with a few breaks. It's probably more likely that he's just depth at this point. 

RELATED: 

Baltimore Ravens

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Apr 19, 2022, 4:28 PM ET

Definitely taking a flyer on this guy in deep leagues. Size/speed and buried in Baltimore in that offense. On the Steelers with JuJu and Washington now gone? Yes, please. 

Users who are viewing this thread