What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Vick buy low (1 Viewer)

dboysrock94

Footballguy
I know he is a huge risk, and his owners are probably getting worried and impatient. This is what I have noticed in watching and researching him a bit. He has been making much better decisions in the pass game they're is the fumbling which can be fixed. The eagles have turned it over a whopping 9 times in the Redzone if even half of those are tds he is scoring in the top 6 qbs. He has played 4 out of 5 top defenses against the pass, the browns are much stronger with haden, then Baltimore, Arizona, and Pitt all strong defenses. His schedule gets much easier, and he faces Tampa bay, Cincinnati, and, Washington in the playoffs could really carry you to the superbowl.

I agree. I also think that many of his owners probably drafted a solid back up because of his injury risk, & may be willing to part with him inexpensively. In my league the owner has Roth & Dalton also, both decent options. My wife also has Roth & Vick. If people backed him up w Roth, who is top ten right now, buy cheap!

Vick has looked much better passing the ball the last two weeks. For some reason last week he had jelly in his hands running with the ball.

He should carve up the Lions and like the previous poster said, he has favorable matchups coming up.

I also agree. He's bound to hit on some big plays downfield and at some point you have to think Maclin starts producing more.

Vick's always had issues from an NFL perspective so I don't see how any of that has changed now. But he tends to produce and often at an elite level for fantasy. It's not like he's been awful either. He's Top 15 in most scoring systems so while he hasn't performed at his ADP he's not like Romo who's way off or Rivers, who was as well before last week. The big issue I see with Vick is the same one I see with him every season - durability. Can he play a full season? Odds are he won't so you have to hope that if/when he does miss time it's nothing significant.

I think he does very well this week against the Lions.

FWIW, I think Romo will bounce back too. Another buy low, except his owners probably don't have as good a back up.

FWIW, I think Romo will bounce back too. Another buy low, except his owners probably don't have as good a back up.
I agree about Romo. He's too good to play as bad as he's been. I have to think the Cowboys' offense picks things up.

Agreed about Vick. The more he fumbles, the more he's cognizant of holding onto the ball during the game. It's also become a huge thing to focus on during practice. Anyways, with the schedule lightening up and Maclin healthy, he's a perfect buy low imo.

The reason Michael Vick ever even resembled an NFL QB was the fact that he was exceptionally fast and elusive in his prime. He had all kinds of space afforded to him because they respected all of that. He's a shell of his former self now. Now, we're left with what's left.

He doesn't read defenses well, he's not all that accurate(never was) and now he remarkably has regressed in pocket presence and ball security.

I saw the writing on the wall and finally dealt him before last weekend.

The reason Michael Vick ever even resembled an NFL QB was the fact that he was exceptionally fast and elusive in his prime. He had all kinds of space afforded to him because they respected all of that. He's a shell of his former self now. Now, we're left with what's left.He doesn't read defenses well, he's not all that accurate(never was) and now he remarkably has regressed in pocket presence and ball security.I saw the writing on the wall and finally dealt him before last weekend.
As A Vick owner, I agree with all of this. HOWEVER, in fantasy a 30 yard scramble and rushing TD turns an average QB day into a great day. Thats one reason I've like owning Vick. But as a current owner, I'm ready to move on. I'll let someone else wonder why he isn't reaching his full potential week to week.

The reason Michael Vick ever even resembled an NFL QB was the fact that he was exceptionally fast and elusive in his prime. He had all kinds of space afforded to him because they respected all of that. He's a shell of his former self now. Now, we're left with what's left.He doesn't read defenses well, he's not all that accurate(never was) and now he remarkably has regressed in pocket presence and ball security.I saw the writing on the wall and finally dealt him before last weekend.
As A Vick owner, I agree with all of this. HOWEVER, in fantasy a 30 yard scramble and rushing TD turns an average QB day into a great day. Thats one reason I've like owning Vick. But as a current owner, I'm ready to move on. I'll let someone else wonder why he isn't reaching his full potential week to week.
He does have the ability to score points but his negative plays(- pts. in my league) and ridiculous amount of hits absorbed are not condusive to winning each week. You can't count on him. He's going to go down with a significant injury. It's not a matter of if, it's just a matter of when. It's time to cut bait. I traded for Luck and he's a way safer option at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
His schedule. He is the definition of a matchup start, and has 2-4 good ones where he could win you the week coming up.

Just traded Brees/Stevie Johnson for Vick/Calvin. Not sure if I bought low, but hoping Vick can limit the TO's and Calvin is Calvin.

'therush said:
'Max Power said:
'Futz said:
His schedule. He is the definition of a matchup start, and has 2-4 good ones where he could win you the week coming up.
What? He was drafted as a QB1 in any league with 12 teams or more. So he is now a "buy low" but only a matchup start? How little are you planning on offering for him? If Vick is still an owner's starting QB, he is going to want another starting QB in return. Now if you're talking Dynasty, then fine. Unload him for whatever you can get. I'm just really curious what type of offers are being thrown out and/or accepted for him.

'therush said:
'Max Power said:
'Futz said:
I'm just really curious what type of offers are being thrown out and/or accepted for him.
Assuming Vick does halfway decent against the Lions, which I expect after last week's debacle, I'll probably be getting Dwayne Bowe (risky since Cassel is out) for him. I'm in a 2-QB league and kind of want to roll with RG3/Luck the rest of the way.

I think he can pick it up but I don't feel like taking the risk. I don't want to worry about my QB, of all players, as to whether or not he'll survive the week. If you have a solid back-up it could be worth it, but I'm a firm believer in only carrying one QB until you're forced to grab another on a bye week.

I was tired of waiting for him to come around on a 1-4 team. Traded Vick and Hartline for Stafford. I can see his passing getting better, but the rushing just isn't there, which is what I drafted him for. I'll cash in while I still can.

Traded him after week 2 and never looked back. The guy just doesn't get it and I refuse to wait when there r Mich better options out there. Rolling with Luck and Dalton for the season.

Traded him after week 2 and never looked back. The guy just doesn't get it and I refuse to wait when there r Mich better options out there. Rolling with Luck and Dalton for the season.

I just traded for Vick and Britt, gave cutler and Hawkins. Vick is my QB2 behind Ponder, with hopes that he will come around this season and lower his turnovers. He is one of the few QB's that currently is buy-low that has strong QB1 upside..

'therush said:
'Max Power said:
'Futz said:
What? He was drafted as a QB1 in any league with 12 teams or more. So he is now a "buy low" but only a matchup start? How little are you planning on offering for him? If Vick is still an owner's starting QB, he is going to want another starting QB in return. Now if you're talking Dynasty, then fine. Unload him for whatever you can get. I'm just really curious what type of offers are being thrown out and/or accepted for him.
I offered LeShoure & stevie johnson and was rejected. The owner thinks he'll bounce back. (as do i) but the owner started Roth last night & also has Dalton. The Romo owner accepted LeShoure straight up. (also has Cam) People are different, & not everyone views things the same way i guess.

I have him and Eli and why I would ever consider playing him over Eli points to my stupidity. All 6 point TD league, 5 point bonus for 300 yards passing. I started him over Eli once and it cost me a win. Now this week logic tells you Vick against Detroit is a great matchup, while Eli on the road against SF isn't. FBG ranks accordingly. But can't run on SF so Eli will throw 50 times and probably get 300 yards by default. Didn't he throw 4 TD's against them last year?

In other words, Vick is a curse on my roster.

I offered LeShoure & stevie johnson and was rejected.
As a Vick owner I'd turn that down too. I'll say again it's not like Vick has been putrid. He's Top 15 in most scoring systems so it's not like he's been a gigantic failure. To this point, Romo's been a far bigger disappointment and I'm not seeing too many people jumping off the ledge about him. Vick seems to do it because he's a polarizing figure (I admit I'm not a fan of his as an NFL QB and never have been). The turnovers are definitely a problem but outside of the Arizona game Vick has been at least respectable every week in my league's scoring and elite twice. He's still averaging more than 260 passing yards and nearly 30 rushing yards per game. What's been missing are the TDs and I think those will start coming.

I have a feeling he’ll blow up against Detroit, but I sold him regardless. As an Eagles fan, I’m surprised he’s not seriously injured yet. The Eagles have a patchwork OL and Andy Reid still has Vick dropping back almost 50 times a game with 5-7 step drops on long developing plays. He’s taking a beating. He will miss multiple games at some point.

I think there's a non-negligible chance we see Foles if the Eagles hit the .500 mark and / or Vick keeps playing hot potato with the football. Andy Reid needs results NOW to keep his job in 2013.

Are we talking redraft?

Certainly not a buy low in dynasty as he may not even have a starting gig after this year.

I like Vick's chances to turn things around enough to produce solid fantasy numbers for the rest of this year, but in dynasty I might be looking to sell.

Are we talking redraft?Certainly not a buy low in dynasty as he may not even have a starting gig after this year. I like Vick's chances to turn things around enough to produce solid fantasy numbers for the rest of this year, but in dynasty I might be looking to sell.
I would be curious to hear more opinions of his worth in a dynasty league.Assuming you owned him in a PPR dynasty, what would you need to trade him (assuming you have another startable option)? Also, assuming that you made the decision to trade him, either because you weren't competitive now, or because you had another viable option, what would it take?I think you could possibly get an older starting RB, or maybe get a young backup with a lot of potential like Tate or Hunter, but I don't know if you could get more than that. At WR, would you be able to get Britt, Maclin, Nelson, Decker, Torrey Smith, Antonio Brown, or guys like that (dynasty WR2 types)? Or would you be looking more at guys like Wright, Crabtree, Cobb, Floyd, etc. (WR3s)?Vick is a hard guy to trade for a few reasons: 1) A LOT of fantasy owners just don't like him; 2) He's a better fantasy QB than NFL QB, all you see is how bad he's playing, even though fantasy-wise he scores more that it seems; 3) He's a HUGE injury risk; and 4)He's getting old.When you take those factors into account (as well as any other negatives that didn't immediately come to mind for me), and if you find a trading partner that is interested you better be willing to either take what you can get or hold him 'til he's done. If I could get any of the guys I listed, I would probably make the trade at this point, certainly if I could get a dynasty WR2 for him.ETA: I think he's going to go off this week, so I would probably hold him until after the game against the Lions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread