What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Messaging platform for kids without phone plans (1 Viewer)

Polish Hammer

made of glass
My 11-year-old son had connected with some kids at a summer camp and wants to keep in touch with them afterward. He doesn't yet have a phone, but these other kids do (iPhones). He does have an Android tablet, and if really needed I could drop a data-only SIM into an old phone (OnePlus 3T or iPhone 4s). 

Are there any simple and safe platforms/ways that will allow him to keep in touch with these other kids? I saw something briefly the other day about getting a Google Voice number and APN settings and the data-SIM to essentially get a VOIP device without paying for a separate line. Not sure if that would enable this sort of communication or not.

Any and all help is appreciated. 

My 11-year-old son had connected with some kids at a summer camp and wants to keep in touch with them afterward. He doesn't yet have a phone, but these other kids do (iPhones). He does have an Android tablet, and if really needed I could drop a data-only SIM into an old phone (OnePlus 3T or iPhone 4s). 

Are there any simple and safe platforms/ways that will allow him to keep in touch with these other kids? I saw something briefly the other day about getting a Google Voice number and APN settings and the data-SIM to essentially get a VOIP device without paying for a separate line. Not sure if that would enable this sort of communication or not.

Any and all help is appreciated. 
I used this on my daughters tablet at that age

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pinger.textfree&hl=en_US

It worked ok

My kid's first device was an Ipod touch. Wifi only, no cell radio in that thing. We put an app on it that enabled texting and phone calls via wifi. I think it was TextPlus.

Google Voice is what you want. Can text and make VoIP phone calls when connected to WiFi.

You'll need a real phone number to sign up though... Just use yours.

Users who are viewing this thread