What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McCaffery vs Hunt vs Cook (1 Viewer)

flipcuplegend

Footballguy
How do you rank those top 3 rookie RB situations in PPR?  The QB situation in Jacksonville worries me where as the below have high upsides:

a) McCaffery - PPR monster, strong offense

b) Hunt - Andy Reid production 

c) Cook - Lead back on run focused offense facing poor division defenses

How do you rank those top 3 rookie RB situations in PPR?  The QB situation in Jacksonville worries me where as the below have high upsides:

a) McCaffery - PPR monster, strong offense

b) Hunt - Andy Reid production 

c) Cook - Lead back on run focused offense facing poor division defenses
First off, I would not assume that McCarrery will be a PPR monster. The offense is designed around Newton, and he'll throw it where he feels like throwing it.

Second, Jonathan Stewart has been written off before. He's not going anywhere.

Third, Minnesota is a mediocre team with a mediocre coach and a mediocre quarterback.

Fourth, the Chiefs only had 2 RBs on their roster, and Hunt is one of them.

I like Cook the most regardless of format. I know his OL isn't the greatest, but imo Bradford can be better than he showed last year, and Cook is likely to be a 3-down back on an above average offense. 

Hunt is my 2nd choice on the rankings - 3-down back with a good OL in an offense that should produce solid RB2 numbers for Hunt.

disclaimer: I own both in one league, so I may be a bit biased. 

First off, I would not assume that McCarrery will be a PPR monster. The offense is designed around Newton, and he'll throw it where he feels like throwing it.

Third, Minnesota is a mediocre team with a mediocre coach and a mediocre quarterback.

Fourth, the Chiefs only had 2 RBs on their roster, and Hunt is one of them.
I think he is going to feel like throwing it to Benjamin, Olsen and McCaffrey.  Just a hunch.

So first off, you believe Newton is stupid and an I-before-team player.  That's the only reason that you don't distribute the ball to an effective weapon.

Secondly, go take a look at Stewart's age and his last three years of progressively less productivity.  He may not have any choice but to surrender work.  

So first off, you believe Newton is stupid and an I-before-team player. That's the only reason that you don't distribute the ball to an effective weapon.

Secondly, go take a look at Stewart's age and his last three years of progressively less productivity. He may not have any choice but to surrender work.
I don't like this narrative. I'll just copy pasta what I said in the CMC thread..

Between all of the injuries and father time, I don't think Stewart has been particularly explosive for while. What he does well is break tackles. 72% of his yards last year came after contact which lead the league by a fair margin. PFF credits him with the most broken tackles since 2015. Last year he forced 47 missed tackles, tied with Bell for 2nd most. Ajayi lead the league with 58. Oh yeah, he was also PFF's highest graded pass blocking RB.

You don't surrender work while doing that. It's not realistic to think he'll be phased out sans injury.

1a. Hunt - best rookie RB for redraft after Fournette; well rounded, great balance, will produce.  

1b. McCaffery - big talent; will line up everywhere; high ceiling in PPR; may have fewer TDs than Hunt and Fournette

3. Cook - looks good on tape, soft schedule. But on a mediocre team with a pop-gun offense. Remember all the sparq hype about Jerick McKinnon. How did that turn out. Plus Latavius Murray isn't making $5M/year to sit on the bench, especially if Cook fumbles at the same rate he did in college. 

I don't like this narrative. I'll just copy pasta what I said in the CMC thread..

Between all of the injuries and father time, I don't think Stewart has been particularly explosive for while. What he does well is break tackles. 72% of his yards last year came after contact which lead the league by a fair margin. PFF credits him with the most broken tackles since 2015. Last year he forced 47 missed tackles, tied with Bell for 2nd most. Ajayi lead the league with 58. Oh yeah, he was also PFF's highest graded pass blocking RB.

You don't surrender work while doing that. It's not realistic to think he'll be phased out sans injury.

Well, you may be willing to simply dismiss his ypa going from 4.6 to 4.1 to 3.8 the last 3 years.  Stewart started his career as a mid 4s to 5+ ypa RB.  Now he's dropping south of the RB Mendoza line.  He may be breaking a lot of tackles, but it is for less and less yardage per carry each year.  

He also had missed 26 games over the past 5 years and never played in more than 13 games in any of those years.

Missing games, decreased productivity, and being on the wrong side of 30 smells like opportunity for an up and coming young stud to me.

Well, you may be willing to simply dismiss his ypa going from 4.6 to 4.1 to 3.8 the last 3 years.  Stewart started his career as a mid 4s to 5+ ypa RB.  Now he's dropping south of the RB Mendoza line.  He may be breaking a lot of tackles, but it is for less and less yardage per carry each year.  

He also had missed 26 games over the past 5 years and never played in more than 13 games in any of those years.

Missing games, decreased productivity, and being on the wrong side of 30 smells like opportunity for an up and coming young stud to me.
Exactly.  There is a reason Carolina front office burned an early first round pick on a RB.  Obviously they plan on using C-Mac in numerous ways.  As much as Stewart breaks tackles and pass blocks, he's not exactly reliable for durability.

I feel Hunt will have more TD's but in PPR it's a toss up.  Cook does have fumbling issues and Latavius behind him with no major passing game thread.  McCaffery should see a fair amount of lanes with 7 in the box with Olsen and Benjamin spreading the field.  Hunt has the same with Kelce/Hill.

So perhaps this is more Hunt vs McCaffery if anything

Well, you may be willing to simply dismiss his ypa going from 4.6 to 4.1 to 3.8 the last 3 years. Stewart started his career as a mid 4s to 5+ ypa RB. Now he's dropping south of the RB Mendoza line. He may be breaking a lot of tackles, but it is for less and less yardage per carry each year.

I'm not dismissing those stats but they don't tell the full story. To be clear, Stewart is obviously going to surrender work to CMC but he won't be completely phased out. You can't ignore Stewart when evaluating CMC. I'd be surprised if Stewart didn't at least monopolize short yardage work.

Anyone else think @Bronco Billy and @SameSongNDance should put their money where their passion is re: Hunt & CMC? They both seem PRETTY sure. 

Winner scored by 10yds per point / 6pt TD / 0.5PPR / -2pt fumble lost??

Whats the stakes fellas?

Anyone else think @Bronco Billy and @SameSongNDance should put their money where their passion is re: Hunt & CMC? They both seem PRETTY sure.

Winner scored by 10yds per point / 6pt TD / 0.5PPR / -2pt fumble lost??

Whats the stakes fellas?
I don't have a strong opinion on who will score the most points between CMC, Cook and Hunt. My projections have them all within less than point of one another.  :shrug:

The Jacksonville QB situation doesn't worry me. Fournette's foot getting re-aggravated is a bit worrisome, but it doesn't worry me enough not to draft him, and I did draft him.

Anyone else think @Bronco Billy and @SameSongNDance should put their money where their passion is re: Hunt & CMC? They both seem PRETTY sure. 

Winner scored by 10yds per point / 6pt TD / 0.5PPR / -2pt fumble lost??

Whats the stakes fellas?

Trying to figure out what stake you have in this to instigate this.

If I'm wrong I'll own it.  It's happened enough in the past.

For the record I like both guys this year for different reasons.  I love McCaffrey's amalgam of talent and I love that Hunt is Reid's handpicked guy and his situation.  I wouldn't want to guess the difference between their output this year, much less wager anything on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to chime in here and say mccaffery BC I drafted him at 1.1 in my dynasty rookie draft a week ago over these other 2 guys but the truth is I have no freakin idea lol.  I waffle bw which one I like better regularly.  I think they will all be solid this year and you can't go wrong.  

Being on the wrong side of 30 is not good for rb- especially one that isn't elite.  Stew won't sniff last season's numbers,but they do have a talented backup in CAP.

So first off, you believe Newton is stupid and an I-before-team player.  That's the only reason that you don't distribute the ball to an effective weapon.

Secondly, go take a look at Stewart's age and his last three years of progressively less productivity.  He may not have any choice but to surrender work.
Not saying Newton is stupid, just saying that his style of play is oriented more towards WRs and TEs. Carolina RBs only had 44 catches last year (compared to, say, the Chiefs RBs, who had 70). That's not just a function of the RBs; it's a function of the QB and the play calling.

And I'm not saying Stewart is going to return to his Pro Bowl form from 2015. But if he puts up 700 yards then it's going to put a severe dent into McCaffery's numbers.

I would love to chime in here and say mccaffery BC I drafted him at 1.1 in my dynasty rookie draft a week ago over these other 2 guys but the truth is I have no freakin idea lol.  I waffle bw which one I like better regularly.  I think they will all be solid this year and you can't go wrong.  
It is quite possible that all three of these players will be good.

Hunt

McCaffrey

Cook - overrated as a runningback and a terrible offensive line until they prove otherwise...should be splitting with Murray.

Cook - overrated as a runningback and a terrible offensive line until they prove otherwise...should be splitting with Murray.
Have you been watching preseason? 

Cook has looked great - coaches praising him. No mention of a timeshare. And Latavious Murray is mediocre at best. 

Min's offense will be improved and Bradford should be improved with it.

i disagree entirely that Cook is "overrated" - he's a feature back on a team with above average defense to keep them in games, and has shown vision and power.

He seems to be rated just fine as an early 3rd round pick. 

Have you been watching preseason? 

Cook has looked great - coaches praising him. No mention of a timeshare. And Latavious Murray is mediocre at best. 

Min's offense will be improved and Bradford should be improved with it.

i disagree entirely that Cook is "overrated" - he's a feature back on a team with above average defense to keep them in games, and has shown vision and power.

He seems to be rated just fine as an early 3rd round pick. 
I watch every play.

very unimpressed.  

I watch every play.

very unimpressed.  
Strange - I also watched every play. I was fairly impressed.

He looks like a fluid receiver and Bradford clearly likes him as a dump-off option. 

He also has shiftiness and good vision hitting the hole. Runs with power. 

http://m.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Dalvin-Cooks-Top-5-Preseason-Plays/a81b9dd6-95d7-4ce5-a500-f7062a58e7ff

don't know how anyone claiming to have watched him could be anything but impressed with the kid. 

Vikes say he's a hard worker, handles every situation, lines up shotgun, I formation, split out. Hard not to be a little excited when you hear an NFL coach gushing about a rookie RB. 

http://floridastate.247sports.com/Bolt/Dalvin-Cook-draws-rave-reviews-from-Vikings-RBs-coach-106749069

And hard not to get excited when you see a rookie RB straight up win the starting job in training camp. 

And here's an NFL writer who loves what he sees from Cook. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2726300-dalvin-cook-could-be-the-breakout-rookie-nobody-is-talking-about

its just weird that so many people who write about or coach the NFL are watching this kid and loving what they see, while you remain...unimpressed. 

Also weird,  I just spent 5 mins googling and couldn't find a single word indicating there would be a timeshare. Maybe you can post your link that substantiates your statement about RBs splitting carries in MIN? 

Thanks in advance. 

He looks like a fluid receiver and Bradford clearly likes him as a dump-off option. 

http://m.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Dalvin-Cooks-Top-5-Preseason-Plays/a81b9dd6-95d7-4ce5-a500-f7062a58e7ff

don't know how anyone claiming to have watched him could be anything but impressed with the kid. 

Vikes say he's a hard worker, handles every situation, lines up shotgun, I formation, split out. Hard not to be a little excited when you hear an NFL coach gushing about a rookie RB. 

http://floridastate.247sports.com/Bolt/Dalvin-Cook-draws-rave-reviews-from-Vikings-RBs-coach-106749069

And hard not to get excited when you see a rookie RB straight up win the starting job in training camp. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2726300-dalvin-cook-could-be-the-breakout-rookie-nobody-is-talking-about

its just weird that so many people who write about or coach the NFL are watching this kid and loving what they see, while you remain...unimpressed. 

Also weird,  I just spent 5 mins googling and couldn't find a single word indicating there would be a timeshare-share. Maybe you can post your link that substantiates your statement about RBs splitting carries in MIN? 

Thanks in advance. 
Timeshare for cook?  I doubt it.  Murray is JAG.  He will get some carries but it looks to me the team knows what they have in cook.  Murray may get more run in the redzone than most backups because of his size, but cook should be a nice rb2.  Also doesn't help Murray that he missed all off-season recovering from injury.

Fournette was obviously intentionally left out of this comparison- Is that because it is assume he will produce at a higher level? Or because he has a different skill set than these backs?

Also weird,  I just spent 5 mins googling and couldn't find a single word indicating there would be a timeshare-share. Maybe you can post your link that substantiates your statement about RBs splitting carries in MIN? 

Thanks in advance. 
haha this is excellent.  making me reconsider where i rank cook now against hunt and cmc.

I have Fournette below them due this foot injury which was an issue in college.  I'm risk averse with the first four picks with the number one flag being an injury that is prone to carry into the regular season (foot, hamstring, ankle, etc).  Also this is something to consider:

Tailbacks drafted in the top five since 2005 have mostly notworked out. Cedric Benson (No. 4 in 2005), Cadillac Williams (No. 5 in2005), Ronnie Brown (No. 2 in 2005), Reggie Bush (No.2 in 2006), Darren McFadden (No. 4 in 2008) and Trent Richardson (No. 3 in2012) did not develop into franchise backs. Dallas’ Ezekiel Elliott (No. 4 in 2016) was the exception.

The Jaguars’ offensive line depth is not ideal. If a starter is injured, the drop-off will be noticeable and so will the lack of running roomfor Fournette.

An ankle injury limited Fournette to seven games last year at LSU and he sustained a foot injury during Jaguars’ training camp thatshelved him for the final three games. 

If Fournette had been drafted by Tennesee or Oakland or anyone with a good O-line perhaps I'd be more open to having him in this discussion.

Cook - I think Minnesota will be better on offense and after reading this thread people seems to be forgetting that Cook can catch passes too and Bradford checks down almost as much as Osweiler did with Houston. Rudolph had a monster year because of it, and I think Cook cuts into Rudolph's catches. I also believe Murray is just a guy and will be there to spell Cook.

Hunt - Andy Reid's history with running backs can't be over looked, and the fact that they handed the keys to Hunt over West (who is a jag, but had some nice games under Reid) says a lot. You can easily flip Hunt and Cook and I wouldn't complain, I just think Cook is more talented.

McCaffery - Love his talent and could see him pass both of these guys as early as next year, but for redraft I have him well below these 2. I understand Stewart doesn't stay healthy, but even if he plays 10 - 13 games he is going to cut into CMC's numbers and I am not going to try to predict a season ending injury for Stewart in the first 4 weeks. Cam also is the opposite of Bradford, he doesn't check down as much, even when the play breaks down. Cam prefers to do it himself rather then dump it off. I know the Panthers are trying to change that, but I don't think it will happen overnight. It is going to take, at minimum most of this year to teach Cam to dump it CMC and not take off.

I'm watching that video @rugcleaner just shared pretty good.  So basically Cook isn't great at short yardage situations and pass blocking but damn he's excellent at catching the ball.

Cook is clearly more talented than Hunt but KC's offensive line is a lot better and Tyrik Hill will create lanes.  Given what's posted so far I'd rank them:

Hunt (great situation and opportunity with no major threat) and then coin flip between McCaffery and Cook.  For what it's worth, the games Stewart misses I think CMC performs as a top 5 RB behind Zeke/Shady/Leveon/DJ.

Hunt

CMC

Cook

i don't like how LMurray played in the 3rd preseason game: he got two carries, both 2nd down and 2 to go...converted both. He's the short yardage guy which = goal line. 

Timeshare for cook?  I doubt it.  Murray is JAG.  He will get some carries but it looks to me the team knows what they have in cook.  Murray may get more run in the redzone than most backups because of his size, but cook should be a nice rb2.  Also doesn't help Murray that he missed all off-season recovering from injury.
Yeah - that all was puzzling to me as well. Yet there dude is, saying it's a timeshare. 

I'm actually excited to see Cook in real game action - hopefully he gets the opportunity to show he can score in short yardage. Sometimes players play bigger on a bigger stage. Seems to be the case with this kid.

His receiving ability and what the Vikes do on offense really intrigues me - he's got great hands & quick acceleration. Wouldn't be surprised to see a handful of ReTD from him. 

Gonna be fun to watch & find out. :)  

Yeah - that all was puzzling to me as well. Yet there dude is, saying it's a timeshare. 

I'm actually excited to see Cook in real game action - hopefully he gets the opportunity to show he can score in short yardage. Sometimes players play bigger on a bigger stage. Seems to be the case with this kid.

His receiving ability and what the Vikes do on offense really intrigues me - he's got great hands & quick acceleration. Wouldn't be surprised to see a handful of ReTD from him. 

I kinda saw what I needed to in the third preseason game even though mn offense looked awful.  He played the first three or four straight series with a healthy Murray watching from the bench

I'm watching that video @rugcleaner just shared pretty good.  So basically Cook isn't great at short yardage situations and pass blocking but damn he's excellent at catching the ball.

Cook is clearly more talented than Hunt but KC's offensive line is a lot better and Tyrik Hill will create lanes.  Given what's posted so far I'd rank them:

Hunt (great situation and opportunity with no major threat) and then coin flip between McCaffery and Cook.  For what it's worth, the games Stewart misses I think CMC performs as a top 5 RB behind Zeke/Shady/Leveon/DJ.
I have put quite a bit of time into that guys channel over the last few days, great stuff, check out episode 45 edelman , and the ajayi video

Dynasty:

• Cook - great talent and great opportunity - should be feature back from day 1
  • McCaffrey - great talent and good opportunity - will start as lead back in RBBC, should eventually become feature back
  • Hunt - okay talent and great opportunity - will start as feature back but only due to injury, will likely eventually fall back into RBBC
Redraft:

• Cook - great talent and great opportunity - should be feature back from day 1
  • Hunt - okay talent and great opportunity - lack of competition provides feature back opportunity
  • McCaffrey - great talent and good opportunity - lead back in RBBC

I'm also of the notion that Cook will be in a time share.  His preseason performance did not lead me to believe that he had separated himself from a very average Murray.  I actually think Murray is going to outscore him this season.

Going to have to take issue with the Blurb you get from the football guys rate my team app about Cook.

Dalvin Cook - No rookie landed in a better spot than Dalvin Cook did this season. Cook goes to a well coached Vikings team that are strong on offense and defense and are accustomed to overcoming adversity. Cook cost the Vikings a 2nd Round pick but that was much cheaper than what the Jaguars paid for Fournette and both running backs have a similar skill set. Cook was projected to be a first round pick but fell to the Vikings and could have some extra motivation because of it. Cook has been dynamic for Florida State the last two years rushing for 1,691 and 1,765 yards respectfully with 19 rushing touchdowns each season. He also has the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield as he caught 33 passes in 2016 for 488 yards and a touchdown. Cook will improve the Vikings running game with his fresh legs this season and it will be interesting if his 40 total touchdowns during his last two years in college influences what he can do in his rookie season in the NFL. He knows how to find the end zone and chasing double digit touchdowns in his rookie season could be in the mix.
WHAT?  Fournette and Cook are on the opposite ends of the rb Spectrum

Fournette is 6'0" 235 lb, 1 cut, diesel bruiser with freak speed for his size, 

Cook is 5'10" 210 shifty Jamaal Charles mold.

They both have great skill sets, not similiar

Users who are viewing this thread