What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maximum Roster Spots - ESPN - Change the way you draft? (1 Viewer)

rick6668

Footballguy
Helping a friend with a new league he joined and I looked at the setup for this league. There are Maximum Roster Settings by position setup.

They start 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1 Flex, 1 K, 1DST with a roster size of 18. Only 10 teams in the league.

But they have a maximum set for QB's RB's and WR's only.

QB- Max 3

RB - Max 4

WR - Max 5

TE - No Max

K - No Max

DST - No Max

I told him they should increase the RB's and WR's maximum, but they do not want to do it. Seems like injuries plus bye weeks could make it hard to field a lineup some weeks.

So, how do you guys think this impacts the draft. Even if you draft the max for QB/RB and WR, you still have 6 positions to fill at TE/K/DST. Are good TE's more valuable as you can start 2 and have extras on your roster?

After you have selected 3 RB's, you can only select one more regardless of who slips, should you wait on your 4th RB as the worst you can do is RB#40 and you know some guys from the top 30-35 will probably go undrafted?

Same applies to WR, only 50 will be drafted, some guys from 40-50 in rank will not even get drafted.

Should you wait on the WR's and RB's after you have max -1 and make sure to get 2 good TE's and a decent K/DST even a good backup QB?

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm wondering if trying for a Graham/Gronk combo at TE and Flex would be worth it.

IMO, this format makes the top RBs and WRs even more valuable I think. If you can grab 3 top RBs or 3 top WRs, that's the flex play. Not sure why you'd aim for Gronk+Graham unless you're sure Gronk is going to outproduce whatever WR/RB available at that spot.

Why don't you plug the format into the Draft Dominator and see what it spits out? Even if you use their rankings from June on the free one, it will give you a good idea of what positions hold the most value.

IMO, this format makes the top RBs and WRs even more valuable I think. If you can grab 3 top RBs or 3 top WRs, that's the flex play. Not sure why you'd aim for Gronk+Graham unless you're sure Gronk is going to outproduce whatever WR/RB available at that spot.

Why don't you plug the format into the Draft Dominator and see what it spits out? Even if you use their rankings from June on the free one, it will give you a good idea of what positions hold the most value.
I'm a subscriber, so let me do that and take a look. Maybe run a mock and see what happens.

Thanks

I would always plan on flexing a RB in that format outside of bye weeks. Probably 3 in the first 4 rounds (likely RB/RB/WR/RB). Having a low max RB count actually raises the importance of getting RB earlier. You could make a very strong case for RB/RB/RB if you can only have 4 because having a guy sit out a week means he's not droppable but you still need to play someone getting touches.

Did a mock on the DD from the 5 spot, had the other teams draft by ADP.

Ended up with:

1.05 C.J. Spiller (DD actually wanted me to take Calvin, but I wanted an RB here)

2.06 Julio Jones

3.05 Andre Johnson

4.06 Eddie Lacy

5.05 Lamar Miller

6.06 Antonio Brown

7.05 Andrew Luck - I was happy for him to fall here. Not sure if I'd get him this far in the actual draft

8.06 Jermichael Finley - Happy that he was here

9.05 Andre Brown - Not sure if I should have done this as this is the last RB I can take but DD was recommending.

10.06 Andy Dalton

11.05 Vincent Brown

12.06 Michael Floyd - Again not sure I should have done this, the last WR I can take.

13.05 Fred Davis

14.06 Alex Smith - Cant take anymore RB/WR so get a 3rd QB here

15.05 Randy Bullock

16.06 NY Giants

17.05 NY Jets

18.06 Josh Brown

So here's the top few guys on the WW for RB and WR that I can't pick up

Woodhead

P. Thomas

Pierce

Jacquizz Rogers

Joique Bell

Hartline

Little

LaFell

Washington

Thompkins

Streater

Hill

I think you are probably right in selecting the best RB's and WR's early. My RB#4 and WR#5 are much better than these options I think.

My QB#2 could have been E. Manning or Vick instead of Dalton, I actually like Dalton much better.

I could have gone TE#2 and gotten Cook or Gates, but my RB#4 would have been Tate.

Thanks

He had the 8th pick and ended up like this:

Doug Martin, TB RB
Trent Richardson, Cle RB
Demaryius Thomas, Den WR
Reggie Bush, Det RB
Victor Cruz, NYG WR
Dwayne Bowe, KC WR
Andrew Luck, Ind QB
Tony Romo, Dal QB
Bears D/ST D/ST
Jermichael Finley, GB TE
Jared Cook, StL TE
Vincent Brown, SD WR
Mark Ingram, NO RB
Broncos D/ST D/ST
Randy Bullock, Hou K
Chris Givens, StL WR
Garrett Hartley, NO K

I think he ended up very strong and both RB and WR while getting both Luck and Romo for QB

Users who are viewing this thread