What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvin Jones (1 Viewer)

Props to Waldman who has always been a big fan of his since he was a rookie. Everyone always rags on his misses but he has a good eye for talent. Can't estimate heart/attitude/dedication which at times leads to some whiffs.

Marvin Jones - WR - Bengals
The Cincinnati Enquirer believes Marvin Jones could be in for a "massive spike in production."
Yes, the Bengals are implementing a run-centric scheme under new OC Hue Jackson. But there's still room for Jones' production to jump because he played on just 48.0 percent of the snaps last season en route to a 51-712-10 line. This year, he's expected to push for at least 80 percent of the snaps as Mohamed Sanu has been turned into a strict slot receiver. Jones' 11th-round ADP is appetizing.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
Jul 16 - 9:41 AM

Marvin Jones - WR - Bengals
The Cincinnati Enquirer believes Marvin Jones could be in for a "massive spike in production."
Yes, the Bengals are implementing a run-centric scheme under new OC Hue Jackson. But there's still room for Jones' production to jump because he played on just 48.0 percent of the snaps last season en route to a 51-712-10 line. This year, he's expected to push for at least 80 percent of the snaps as Mohamed Sanu has been turned into a strict slot receiver. Jones' 11th-round ADP is appetizing.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
Jul 16 - 9:41 AM
Is that the same Rotoworld sourced from Cincinnati Enquirer who said the Bengals plan to emulate the 49ers and Seahawks just moments before they posted that? Dont those teams have a run focused offense with a WR2 with no better than average stats? Yup sounds like Rotoworld for ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really high on Marvin Jones and have always liked his talent going back to his days at Cal Berkeley. Of course Green will continue to be force fed the ball and Jones targets have only so high that they can go, but I think he's going to continue to be a red zone target. He's got the frame and box out ability to grab contested throws in traffic down low. Jones is highly underrated in fantasy, and I recently acquired him in a dynasty trade giving up Dobson and some spare parts. The point is, the Jones owner feels he upgraded to get Dobson and he is a Brady owner. But I think Jones floor and ceiling are way higher than Dobson, who is one of many rotating options in that high power Patriots offense. Cincinnati will be a high scoring offense and Hue Jackson is a very creative coordinator who likes to dial up all sorts of trick plays to get the ball in the end zone. I expect Marvin Jones to have a big year.

@JayMorrisonCMG: #Bengals WR Marvin Jones broke his foot at Saturday's practice. Screw inserted. Will be out for several weeks.

ooooooof!

@JeneBramel: Marvin Jones: Broken fifth metatarsal and screw placement usually means Jones fracture. If that's case, 8 wks optimistic, likely 10-12 wks.

@JeneBramel: Bengals have about 3 wks to assess Jones' rehab/recovery before needing to decide whether he can stay on 53 or decide that IR/return better.

@SigmundBloom: First reaction to MJones being out is Sanu can get his foot in the door, but more interesting to me is Eifert becoming de facto #2 target

Well, sucks, but he is totally useless for this year.

Still a good guy to have for dynasty that you can get real cheap right now, and a fabulous buy low for anyone in a rebuild.

I am sure we some guys like Sjax, Dwill, Colston, Wayne.......................traded for him a bunch

MoveToSkypager said:
Sanu is not a factor. Eifert is the guy to own now that Jones is hurt.
Not sure why you say this. All reports out of camp have been glowing about Sanu and even before this injury, word was the team planned to use him all over the field in different roles.

KFFL (now USAToday) is having a blurb that says Marvin Jones is suspended 4 games.

???

They also say he'll be back after the broken foot week 5...

Have they been smoking?

KFFL (now USAToday) is having a blurb that says Marvin Jones is suspended 4 games.

???

Have they been smoking?
Typo?
Extensive typo then. Not sure it really matters that much but I've not been able to see any other news outlets repeating anything about the suspension, so it's probably a brain fart that wasn't picked up by the editor, maybe because they are being folded into usatoday

???

Have they been smoking?
Typo?
Extensive typo then. Not sure it really matters that much but I've not been able to see any other news outlets repeating anything about the suspension, so it's probably a brain fart that wasn't picked up by the editor, maybe because they are being folded into usatoday
I can see why USA Today wanted to shell out the big bucks- hard to get top-notch insider info like that!

Rotoworld:

Marvin Jones (foot) is expected to return following the Week 4 bye.

Jones' timetable has been unchanged since breaking his foot early in camp. Given how much time he's missed, expect him to be eased in as a rotation player with Mohamed Sanu. Eventually, expect Jones to be the man on the outside opposite A.J. Green, leaving Sanu in a slot role. Deep leaguers should make a stash.

Related: Mohamed Sanu

Source: ESPN.com
Sep 21 - 9:41 PM

Rotoworld:

Marvin Jones (foot) is expected to return following the Week 4 bye.

Jones' timetable has been unchanged since breaking his foot early in camp. Given how much time he's missed, expect him to be eased in as a rotation player with Mohamed Sanu. Eventually, expect Jones to be the man on the outside opposite A.J. Green, leaving Sanu in a slot role. Deep leaguers should make a stash.

Related: Mohamed Sanu

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 21 - 9:41 PM
Anyone stashed him yet? Expected production?

I've been waiting patiently since before he got hurt. Expecting big things down the road. Hue Jackson's offense is one of the bettter run offenses in the NFL. I won't start Jones immediately after the bye, but I've got my popcorn ready. :popcorn:

He had a lot of touchdowns last year, but didn't have that many targets. Really came on down the stretch though.

I watched some highlights yesterday and they were a mixed bag. I didn't see him getting much separation, generally went down during or immediately after the catch, lots of body catching balls, didn't see him elevate or high point balls. On the plus side, he seems to have great hands, and used body position well to catch the ball in traffic. He has decent measured speed (4.46), but I didn't see him running away from people, or have much YAC at all.

Overall I was a little underwhelmed by what I saw, but it's hard to argue with the production. And he might be one of those guys who can be sneaky good because he doesn't need much separation to come down with the ball.

Here's what he did in his last 5 games last year (after a stretch where he caught 4 balls in 3 games):

3-60-1

5-48-1

6-85-0

5-61-1

8-130-0

The last game was in the playoffs. That's a pretty good run.

I'm in on it. He was the projected started before he got hurt. I don't see much more than WR3 upside though as there are weeks where Sanu will get more targets than him.

He'll be a decent WR3/4 flex type player.

Would you drop josh gordon for him?
im gonna say no
Unless you have a really deep bench, an IR slot or are just one of the best teams in the league I'd get rid of Gordon. I'm not saying Jones is definitely that guy but are you telling me that once your playoffs start that you are just going to randomly start a guy like Gordon with a new QB, coach and coordinator? Maybe if I saw something great in week 12/13 or else I have some really crappy WRs!

im gonna say no
Unless you have a really deep bench, an IR slot or are just one of the best teams in the league I'd get rid of Gordon. I'm not saying Jones is definitely that guy but are you telling me that once your playoffs start that you are just going to randomly start a guy like Gordon with a new QB, coach and coordinator? Maybe if I saw something great in week 12/13 or else I have some really crappy WRs!
Huh? Of course most teams are going to "randomly" start a guy like Gordon in the ff playoffs, assuming he's playing.

im gonna say no
Huh? Of course most teams are going to "randomly" start a guy like Gordon in the ff playoffs, assuming he's playing.
Like I said... You start him if you have other really bad options but unless I see something great in week 12/13 I'm going with a known commodity in the playoffs. And if you don't have other good options it's probably because you held a guy like Gordon on your bench for 3 months.

im gonna say no
Like I said... You start him if you have other really bad options but unless I see something great in week 12/13 I'm going with a known commodity in the playoffs. And if you don't have other good options it's probably because you held a guy like Gordon on your bench for 3 months.
A known commodity like a guy that led the league in receiving yards in 14 games last year? Oh wait...

im gonna say no
Gordon is better than whoever your FLEX or WR2 is.

This is not even a real debate. You start Gordon if he is playing. Maybe not the first week but definitely after that.

Honestly, it sounds like someone is mad because Gordon isn't on his bench.

im gonna say no
Like I said, you start him almost automatically. The guy was the #1 FF WR in ppg last year, there isn't a team in all of FF who has better options. It's not like his arms fell off.

Users who are viewing this thread