What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maroney OUT vs Cincy (1 Viewer)

whole-show

Footballguy
Is there any new news on Maroney. Just curious need to decide to start him or Watson by tonight for my final RB position. This is not a who should I start question so please do not answer that way, but I just need to know if there is any new news on him or I will have to go the safe route and start Watson. TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
The Boston Herald reports Laurence Maroney (groin) is shaping up to be a game-time decision on Monday night.

We never saw Maroney get hurt during last week's game and he was present for the media portion of practice all week. But the Herald reports that some around the team thought Maroney might be downgraded to out. Have Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk, or Kenny Watson on stand by if at all possible. The inactives for Monday night will be posted roughly an hour before game time. Sep. 30 - 9:50 pm et

Laurence Maroney-RB- Patriots Sep. 30 - 9:50 pm et

The Boston Herald reports Laurence Maroney (groin) is shaping up to be a game-time decision on Monday night.

We never saw Maroney get hurt during last week's game and he was present for the media portion of practice all week. But the Herald reports that some around the team thought Maroney might be downgraded to out. Have Sammy Morris, Kevin Faulk, or Kenny Watson on stand by if at all possible. The inactives for Monday night will be posted roughly an hour before game time.

Source: Boston Herald

The Patriots have downgraded two players to out for Monday night's game: offensive guard Stephen Neal and receiver Kelley Washington.

Neal, who has a shoulder injury, has missed the last two games. The team's starting right guard, he figures to be replaced by seven-year veteran Russ Hochstein, who started last week's game.

Washington, who has played the fewest snaps among the team's five receivers, also missed last week's game with a hamstring injury.

The downgrades mean that running back Laurence Maroney, who is questionable with a groin injury, still has a chance to suit up Monday night. The same holds true for the other players on the team's injury report, a group that includes outside linebacker Rosevelt Colvin, cornerback Randall Gay, receiver Donte' Stallworth, nose tackle Vince Wilfork, defensive end Mike Wright and guard Billy Yates.

LINK

100+ yards and 2tds for Maroney is what this means. :moneybag: .....its BB code...I have deciphered it...found the magic BB code decipher ring in my lucky charms last night :moneybag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I hope Maroney plays. I need 21 points from him and welker. (WCOFF rules) I almost put in Buckhalter last night and sat Maroney. Now I wish I would have. My typical FF luck!

I would encourage people to take this at face value and not some ploy by Belichick. My source close to the team has informed me that Maroney playing or not playing will be a game time decision based on how he looks/feels/moves in practice.

I would encourage people to take this at face value and not some ploy by Belichick. My source close to the team has informed me that Maroney playing or not playing will be a game time decision based on how he looks/feels/moves in practice.
If he's not 100% I cannot believe BB would risk him going forward. Morris/Faulk/Evans are more than capable of getting the RB job done against a suspect CIN DEF. Why would they risk their starting RB if he's already slowed by a groin injury that is known to be a nagging injury if not rested properly? Note:I'm playing the LM owner this week.

If he's not 100% I cannot believe BB would risk him going forward. Morris/Faulk/Evans are more than capable of getting the RB job done against a suspect CIN DEF. Why would they risk their starting RB if he's already slowed by a groin injury that is known to be a nagging injury if not rested properly? Note:I'm playing the LM owner this week.
Because the Cincy offense is too good. Simply getting the job done might not be enough--they might have to put up 35-42 points in a shootout.Oh, and I'm playing against 3 Maroney owners this week. Just a disclaimer.

If Maroney can't get up for MNF then whats that say.

Right. He's already demonstrated that he's a boy scout when it comes to interpreting the rules.

He will play, and he will score big.... How do I know?? Here's how:

I dropped D.Culpepper this week

I dropped P.Crayton this week

I'm playing AGAINST Maroney in two different leagues and have a slim lead.

He will go off, oh yes, he will most definitely go off.

:mellow: :wall: :wall:

If Maroney can't get up for MNF then whats that say.
I think it says "The Pats are an early Superbowl favourite, and they might not want to risk further injury to their franchise running back"If Maroney's groin is slightly pulled already, why would they risk further injury? The NE passing game can light up any secondary and Morris, Faulk and Evans in a platoon can give the Pats basically the same thing that Maroney can. If LM's at all gimpy, there's no reason, IMO (and I'm also a LM owner) for the Pats to risk further injury.

I think it says "The Pats are an early Superbowl favourite, and they might not want to risk further injury to their franchise running back"If Maroney's groin is slightly pulled already, why would they risk further injury? The NE passing game can light up any secondary and Morris, Faulk and Evans in a platoon can give the Pats basically the same thing that Maroney can. If LM's at all gimpy, there's no reason, IMO (and I'm also a LM owner) for the Pats to risk further injury.
If it was me I would probably tell coach Im good to go. Its MNF.....doesn't get much better than that. (and yes, I know Im not a football player)

I've been away from the computer for a few days. The last I heard Maroney practiced on Friday and so I assumed he was good to go so this comes as a surprise that he's going to be a GTD.

If it were any other coach (except for Shanny) I would just go ahead and start someone else (I have Kenny Watson), but something tells me Maroney is fine and this is just another Belichick tactic.

I've been away from the computer for a few days. The last I heard Maroney practiced on Friday and so I assumed he was good to go so this comes as a surprise that he's going to be a GTD. If it were any other coach (except for Shanny) I would just go ahead and start someone else (I have Kenny Watson), but something tells me Maroney is fine and this is just another Belichick tactic.
:2cents: This was news to me as well this morning. I hadn't given Maroney a second thought all weekend.

Patriots | Maroney a game-time decision

Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:35:59 -0700

Sal Paolantonio, of ESPN, reports New England Patriots RB Laurence Maroney (groin) will be a game-time decision for the team's Week 4 game, but he will likely play in the game.

Because the Cincy offense is too good. Simply getting the job done might not be enough--they might have to put up 35-42 points in a shootout.Oh, and I'm playing against 3 Maroney owners this week. Just a disclaimer.
or they might win 54-14 without him

Patriots | Maroney a game-time decision

Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:35:59 -0700

Sal Paolantonio, of ESPN, reports New England Patriots RB Laurence Maroney (groin) will be a game-time decision for the team's Week 4 game, but he will likely play in the game.
:unsure:
I would not get too excited yet. This is nothing new as he has not probably tested it yet.
Is this the same ESPN that said D. Ward would not play yesterday?

I've been away from the computer for a few days. The last I heard Maroney practiced on Friday and so I assumed he was good to go so this comes as a surprise that he's going to be a GTD. If it were any other coach (except for Shanny) I would just go ahead and start someone else (I have Kenny Watson), but something tells me Maroney is fine and this is just another Belichick tactic.
:unsure: This was news to me as well this morning. I hadn't given Maroney a second thought all weekend.
Yudkin seems pretty emphatic that something may really be up - he is not the type to go out on limbs or spread questionable information. has to be of SOME concern (though as someone going against Maroney, I do fear the BB BS whereby he will go Randy Moss on my ###)

I hope he plays but I think he could have had his leg amputated yesterday and the pats would still call him questionable up until game time just for strategy purposes.

David, thanks for the intel. What is your take on the fact that Faulk was kept out of practice as a "team decision" earlier in the week? While I am biased towards believing the superficial story (Maroney is nursing a groin pull), nuggets like this make we wonder....

ESPN just reported that he did make the trip and they expect him to play, although it's not set in stone.

:fishing: This was news to me as well this morning. I hadn't given Maroney a second thought all weekend.
Yudkin seems pretty emphatic that something may really be up - he is not the type to go out on limbs or spread questionable information. has to be of SOME concern (though as someone going against Maroney, I do fear the BB BS whereby he will go Randy Moss on my ###)
I just heard again from my guy at the stadium that no decision has been made on Maroney for tonight's game. This is coming from someone that regularly attends team practices and who emailed me on Friday that Maroney did not look at all like himself and was noticably slower and not doing what he would normally do across the board.Say what you want about Belichick, but this guy would not be fueling me misinformation. So unless Maroney, Belichick, and my source are all in on it together I am confident that Maroney is hurt enough that the team really has to determine if he is healthy enough to play. Maybe Maroney made a lot of progress since Friday, but last time he suited up he apparently did not look very good.That being said, I would think that even if Maroney were to play that he would not see an extensive workload and that he would not be in on the extra tough downs. Seeing he already has not played much in those situations, I highly doubt that he'll start getting those tough carries tonight. I also don't see him having explosive speed tonight, and given that that's where he makes his big plays that he won't be breaking off any long runs.I certainly have no conclusive information on this one, but if I were to guess, I would think that Maroney suits up, they try him to see how he does, and they will adapt from there. If they do well enough without him I don't think he will play much. Morris, Faulk, and Evans may prove to provide ample run support and if so Maroney might only get 8-10, maybe 12 carries. I've been saying for months that Maroney would be treated with kid gloves as they want/need him fresh for the postseason to make another SB run.I would be pretty surprised to see him get 125 yards and 2 TDs like some are talking in the various Maroney threads . . .

Users who are viewing this thread