What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mark Barron - DB to LB (3 Viewers)

I may be overly optimistic, but think health permitting, Barron is more likely to finish top 10-15 than 25. Ogletree could be the same, not sure it matters if they are on the same team as long as they both produce at a high level (sort of like having DEN WRs Demaryius Thomas and Emanuel Sanders a few years ago likely would have helped a lot more often than hurt).

Inferential type of observation, and reiterating/recapping from above, but making Barron the second highest paid WLB in the game to David (5/50/25 - 5/45/20 -years/total/guaranteed in millions) is a strong indication the Rams (i.e. - Fisher, Snead and Williams) are confident he can be a massive difference maker in their system at his "new" position (he was the #1 WLB prospect in the nation as a prep before the positional conversion to safety at Alabama, and he produced at a top 3-5 level in Ogletree's absence for 2/3 of the season in 2015).          

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be overly optimistic, but think health permitting, Barron is more likely to finish top 10-15 than 25. Ogletree could be the same, not sure it matters if they are on the same team as long as they both produce at a high level (sort of like having DEN WRs Demaryius Thomas and Emanuel Sanders a few years ago likely would have helped a lot more often than hurt).

Inferential type of observation, and reiterating/recapping from above, but making Barron the second highest paid WLB in the game to David (5/50/25 - 5/45/20 -years/total/guaranteed in millions) is a strong indication the Rams (i.e. - Fisher, Snead and Williams) are confident he can be a massive difference maker in their system at his "new" position (he was the #1 WLB prospect in the nation as a prep before the positional conversion to safety at Alabama, and he produced at a top 3-5 level in Ogletree's absence for 2/3 of the season in 2015).          
Packers are using Morgan Burnett some at dime lB but he insists he's not a LB. More versatility is harder for offenses to game plan for so players are evolving.

Barron is a LB and will remain as such on MFL unless he changes back to S. He just signed a five year, $45 million contract to play LB.

Went to the footballguys idp rankings for dynasty.  Neither the LB nor the DB's designation has him ranked.  

I can't imagine he is worse than a LB4 or S4 regardless of designation.  I trust its an oversight, but if not ... I think its time to start reworking those rankings a bit.

I don't see why this guy shouldn't have a dual designation.  He'll be playing both positions on the field, depending on the package they will be in at the time.

my major concern is the stat team, if its the same from StL then both guys are going to take a huge hit.  I'm hoping they use guys similar to Oak... they seem more friendly to

assists

I don't see why this guy shouldn't have a dual designation.  He'll be playing both positions on the field, depending on the package they will be in at the time.
The WR's that run out of the backfield could be started as WR or RB too. That could open a door to a lot of problems. Although listing players' designations that are used in base defense when so many teams rarely use base can cause problems too. Perhaps list them where they spend most of their time?

The WR's that run out of the backfield could be started as WR or RB too. That could open a door to a lot of problems. Although listing players' designations that are used in base defense when so many teams rarely use base can cause problems too. Perhaps list them where they spend most of their time?
Those WR's are lining up as a RB often, though.  I'm assuming the recent Rams depth chart is for their "base" defense (which again lists him as a safety).  I mean, he could be lining up as a "LB" on half his snaps, and as a "safety" the other half - depending on the situation.  That's much different than a WR who lines up as a RB on 5% of his snaps.

In my league we have 6 IDP players. 4 LB's and 2 db's. I want to over draft their ADP Barron and Bucannon because they are both listed as S or S,LB on yahoo. This would allow me to essentially play with 6 lb's throughout the year.

What do you think?

charles p said:
In my league we have 6 IDP players. 4 LB's and 2 db's. I want to over draft their ADP Barron and Bucannon because they are both listed as S or S,LB on yahoo. This would allow me to essentially play with 6 lb's throughout the year.

What do you think?
Unless it's an INT-heavy scoring system, this is generally a winning strategy.

http://nflspinzone.com/2016/08/27/can-los-angeles-rams-expect-mark-barron/

"Barron made the move to a hybrid linebacker/safety position in Gregg Williams’ defense in 2015 – a position that he was clearly comfortable with. While he is listed as a safety on the official Los Angeles Rams depth chart – a chart that shows a 4-2-5. With Barron joining starters Akeem Ayers and Alec Ogletree, he could be poised for another huge season.  Barron’s role will be larger in 2016."

So again, why is this guy not listed as a DB on rotoworld, and thus on MFL?

This has been discussed before, but the rosters/depth charts on nfl.com are no more 'official' than those on ESPN or anywhere else... nfl.com is for fan use, not for official NFL business. I trust Rotoworld 100% more than nfl.com any day of the week.

Barron is the starting WLB for the Rams and played there last year as well. He is no longer a full time safety (if at all). They have 2 starting safeties and he is not one of them. Even if they play the big nickel lineup, he's really still playing LB.

This has been discussed before, but the rosters/depth charts on nfl.com are no more 'official' than those on ESPN or anywhere else... nfl.com is for fan use, not for official NFL business. I trust Rotoworld 100% more than nfl.com any day of the week.

Barron is the starting WLB for the Rams and played there last year as well. He is no longer a full time safety (if at all). They have 2 starting safeties and he is not one of them. Even if they play the big nickel lineup, he's really still playing LB.
Just wondering if you trust rotoworld more than the Rams official website?  You know the one that you would purchase season tickets through?  Because they still have him listed as a starting safety.  One of the 3 starting safeties they have listed in their defensive lineup.

Luckily as a Barron owner in my dynasty league, our commish has decided that the official teams website is the end all answer to lineup designations. 

Just wondering if you trust rotoworld more than the Rams official website?  You know the one that you would purchase season tickets through?  Because they still have him listed as a starting safety.  One of the 3 starting safeties they have listed in their defensive lineup.

Luckily as a Barron owner in my dynasty league, our commish has decided that the official teams website is the end all answer to lineup designations. 
Yes. Because the website is through nfl.com and though it is the Rams team page, it is no more 'official' than anywhere else. The nfl.com depth chart is not generated by the Rams football people. It is done by PR people (or outsourced altogether) and there is nothing 'official' about it, although the folks who want you to visit nfl.com would probably like you to think that.

You can buy tickets on Stubhub too, but I wouldn't trust their depth charts either.

J Giles Band said:
Yes. Because the website is through nfl.com and though it is the Rams team page, it is no more 'official' than anywhere else. The nfl.com depth chart is not generated by the Rams football people. It is done by PR people (or outsourced altogether) and there is nothing 'official' about it, although the folks who want you to visit nfl.com would probably like you to think that.

You can buy tickets on Stubhub too, but I wouldn't trust their depth charts either.
No, the website is not through nfl.com.  It is the official website of the LA Rams, making the depth chart they have listed as the "official depth chart".  How is the depth chart released by the team not the "official depth chart"?  It may have links back to NFL.com (and vice-versa), but the Rams organization runs their own website - as it says on the bottom " © 2016 Los Angeles Rams. All rights reserved".  They say what their depth chart is, and they have their defense listed as a 4-2-5 (big nickle) defense.  As such, how is he a LB?

Also, here is the first depth chart released by the team - but as it was for pre-season week 1, it wasn't "official".  It was, though, from the team itself....

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/8/8/12408028/los-angeles-rams-release-depth-chart-for-preseason-week-1-v-dallas-cowboys

Teams often let their PR department assemble the depth charts, and it may have little relation to the actual personel on the field most of the time.  Nickel is becoming the "base defense" for a lot of teams, but most depth charts still reliably insist on a 3-4-4, or 4-3-4 arrangement for these teams regardless.

Add in a minority of coaches who like to use depth charts to "send messages" to players, and the reliability goes down further.  There's really no substitute for getting a few weeks of game film in hand and seeing where people are actually lining up most of the time, and which subs come in first.

As to last year, Barron was a big nickel third safety often playing LB in passing situations, UNTIL WLB Ogletree got hurt. Than he replaced him at WLB and put up top 3-5 numbers in the second half of the season, FROM THE WLB POSITION. Since than, former MLB Laurinaitis was cut, and Ogletree is now the starting MLB. Former SLB Ayers was also cut. Also since 2015, they made Barron one of the highest paid WLBs in the game (after Lavonte David). If Barron isn't the WLB, who is? :)  If the Rams depth chart says anything other than Barron is WLB, than it must be wrong.

Great example of PR departments running depth charts was Suggs when he had his contract dispute over trying to get more money and wanted to be listed as a LB.  They made up a "new" position and listed him as DE/LB to appease him and his contract.  

Some of you may not want to hear it or believe it but NFL.com is not official nor are any of the team web sites.  We used to have this argument 10-15 years ago with the Injury report on the NFL website.  It wasn't official nor was it accurate many of times yet there were people that refused to believe something on the NFL web site could be wrong.

Rotoworld seems to get their information from the NFL front offices and thus I like J Giles trust it as the most official thing we'll ever have access to.

Great example of PR departments running depth charts was Suggs when he had his contract dispute over trying to get more money and wanted to be listed as a LB.  They made up a "new" position and listed him as DE/LB to appease him and his contract.  

Some of you may not want to hear it or believe it but NFL.com is not official nor are any of the team web sites.  We used to have this argument 10-15 years ago with the Injury report on the NFL website.  It wasn't official nor was it accurate many of times yet there were people that refused to believe something on the NFL web site could be wrong.

Rotoworld seems to get their information from the NFL front offices and thus I like J Giles trust it as the most official thing we'll ever have access to.
There is zero doubt team sites will designate players at a position that is advantageous to the team's ownership/front office in terms of contract status. DE's make more than OLB's and linebackers make more than safeties. Not to mention these are usually outsourced by the PR departments (I work in the NBA, and our teams do the same thing).

And bonscott is right on the $ as most guys who either complain or want to cite nfl.com being 'official' are doing so because it is to their fantasy team's benefit, not because it is necessarily the position the player is actually playing on a regular basis.

The other thing Rotoworld does that I give them credit for, is they actually WATCH how players are used in the preseason and follow local beat writers training camp reports to determine how players line up and are being utilized. Their depth charts may not be perfect, but overall I find them accurate in most cases. My biggest issue is I wish the hybrid guys who play DE and OLB could be eligible at both positions on fantasy websites. It would make all the sense in the world. The LB vs S issue is much less common.

I have been starting Barron at LB because I have Reshad Jones, Tony Jefferson and Karl Joseph.  My LB's aren't as strong.

I'd much rather he be LB.  DB's are all over the place in waivers in dynasty leagues, very replaceable.  It's much tougher to get an LB on waivers.

Users who are viewing this thread