What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mario Williams - Position Designation (1 Viewer)

MFL has Mario Williams listed as a LB given his play the past few years, but it looks like he's going to have the majority of his snaps as a DE. Will his official assignment be changed to DE? If so he's perhaps top 5 for IDP at DE. He's basically worthless at LB. I understand MFL have their position assignments aligned with the official NFL designations.......so it's up to the Bills to reassign him and file paperwork for him to be a DE. Will this happen?

Rotoworld:

Bills.com’s Chris Brown expects Mario Williams to get the majority of his snaps at defensive end.
The Bills ran mostly four-man fronts during their OTAs/minicamp. Williams should see limited time as a standup linebacker in Rex Ryan’s scheme, and will rarely drop in coverage. He'll also play some five-technique next to Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus. Buffalo plans to use Williams similar to how they did in 2013, when he posted 15 TFLs and 13 sacks under ex-DC Mike Pettine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Well he's a FA in both my dynasty leagues and we just had our FA auction......I'm picking him up the second blind bids come around with hopes he gets switched.

Rex runs a 3-4 base defense. Highly unlikely the classification changes. I dropped Williams the day Rex signed. These things happen every year. Stay on top of the coaching changes and you can use it to your advantage. Two years ago Williams and Ninkovich both changed from LB to DE. You could have picked up two top ten options off free agency. The fantasy gods giveth and they taketh away.

Rex runs a 3-4 base defense.
This is incorrect.
Wilkerson and Richardson were 3-4 DEs. David Harris and Demario Davis were 3-4 ILBs. The Jets were definitely a 3-4 base defense under Rex* (and will continue to be under new HC Bowles, ex-ARI DC).

Jene Bramel has Mario Wiliams listed as a LB in his latest LB tier article (as does Bob Henry on the site's depth chart).

* Same with brother Rob, the 3-4 is a sibling specialty. Rob ran it in DAL for a few years. After being replaced (new DC Monte Kiffin converted from the previous 3-4 to 4-3), he went to NO, where he promptly installed a 3-4 in place of the preceding 4-3.

IF Williams plays LB in a 3-4, it won't be the first time. He began as a 4-3 DE in HOU, and switched to 3-4 OLB after a scheme change, BEFORE moving to BUF in free agency. Depending on the format, in big play boosted IDP scoring, Williams could remain very valuable as a LB if he has 12+ sacks (though admittedly not as much as from DE). Entering his tenth season, he has had DD sacks 5 X, 9 once, 8.5 once (in 13 games, and 5 once in 5 games). His 14.5 in 2014 was a career high (also seasons with 14, 13, 12 and 10.5).

The following player position changes will be made on Thursday, July 30th, to bring our player database up-to-date with the Rotoworld.com depth charts:

• BUF: Mario Williams from LB to DE
  • BUF: Jerry Hughes from LB to DE
  • BUF: Corbin Bryant from DT to DE
  • BUF: Michael Buchanan from LB to DE
  • BUF: Stefan Charles from DE to DT
  • BUF: Alex Carrington from DE to DT
  • BUF: Jarius Wynn from DE to DT
  • KC : Nick Williams from DT to DE
  • KC : Jaye Howard from DE to DT
  • TB : Da'Quan Bowers from DE to DT

The following player position changes will be made on Thursday, July 30th, to bring our player database up-to-date with the Rotoworld.com depth charts:

Thank Goodness! Welcome back top 10 DE!

ETA: THese changes are already showing on MFL this morning.

Thanks for the info on this post, guys.

woo hoo!

It seems odd that Rex Ryan would run a 4-3 after all his years as a 3-4. I am assuming that these positions change back at some point before the season. It seems like a Bills beat writer indicated that they lined up with 4 DL in OTAs and that was enough for Rotoworld to change it.

Yeah, I don't think they are switching to a 4-3, either.

Unless Williams is playing 3-4 DE (he is big enough), typically the top pass rushers are deployed as OLBs. This may not be the last word, there is still a lot of time before the season.

It seems odd that Rex Ryan would run a 4-3 after all his years as a 3-4. I am assuming that these positions change back at some point before the season. It seems like a Bills beat writer indicated that they lined up with 4 DL in OTAs and that was enough for Rotoworld to change it.
Yeah, I don't think they are switching to a 4-3, either.

Unless Williams is playing 3-4 DE (he is big enough), typically the top pass rushers are deployed as OLBs. This may not be the last word, there is still a lot of time before the season.
true. but why is Justin Houston listed as a RDE on PFR? http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2014/defense.htm

Most of us are just hoping Mario can be our starting DE. I'm not counting on it either.

Believe this is the 2nd or 3rd time he has done this....0 points in a game....How does a guy like Williams not be in on a tackle at least once? Did he get dinged and not play?

Users who are viewing this thread