What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

marijuana winning big at the polls. CO/MASS/wash pass (1 Viewer)

WhatDoIKnow said:
I've been hanging out at a couple cannabis forums the last couple of months.

It's like reading a DSP, Jojo, Em. MoP collaboration thread.

I am now firmly against legalization.

That is all.
But have you ever tried it- on weed, man..

A Republican group will hold its inaugural meeting Saturday in Houston as it tries to convince GOP leaders that the legalization of marijuana is a conservative stance, not just a left-wing liberal idea.

"You have the right to control yourself. And to me that's what Republicans stand for,” said Ann Lee, founder of RAMP – Republicans Against Marijuana Prohibition. "The drug war goes against every principle we have of smaller government, fiscal responsibility and less intrusion in your private life."

A lifelong Republican, Lee says her original belief in pot as “the devil’s weed” began to change when her son, Richard, suffered a devastating injury.

A workplace accident left him a paraplegic. Suffering from constant nerve pain he says marijuana proved the only effective means of pain management. He moved to California where he could receive medicinal marijuana and has since become a well-known marijuana activist in Oakland.

"And he said marijuana is good for me. And that was a sea change for us,” said Lee.

So Ann Lee and her husband formed RAMP to encourage GOP leaders to consider changing the traditional stance on marijuana, medicinal use, and legalization.
http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/Pro-pot-Republicans-meet-this-weekend-in-Houston.html

That is all.
Really? You think we should be paying for those people's meals and lodging in a prison facility?

A Republican group will hold its inaugural meeting Saturday in Houston as it tries to convince GOP leaders that the legalization of marijuana is a conservative stance, not just a left-wing liberal idea.

"You have the right to control yourself. And to me that's what Republicans stand for,” said Ann Lee, founder of RAMP – Republicans Against Marijuana Prohibition. "The drug war goes against every principle we have of smaller government, fiscal responsibility and less intrusion in your private life."

A lifelong Republican, Lee says her original belief in pot as “the devil’s weed” began to change when her son, Richard, suffered a devastating injury.

A workplace accident left him a paraplegic. Suffering from constant nerve pain he says marijuana proved the only effective means of pain management. He moved to California where he could receive medicinal marijuana and has since become a well-known marijuana activist in Oakland.

"And he said marijuana is good for me. And that was a sea change for us,” said Lee.

So Ann Lee and her husband formed RAMP to encourage GOP leaders to consider changing the traditional stance on marijuana, medicinal use, and legalization.
http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/Pro-pot-Republicans-meet-this-weekend-in-Houston.html
This reminds me a lot of LEAP. Whuich is a GREAT group. I'm sure they've been mentioned somewhere else in this threasd, but why not

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) is a 501©3 non-profit, international, educational organization comprising former and current police officers, government agents and other law enforcement agents who oppose the current War on Drugs.[2][3] LEAP was founded on March 16, 2002 by five police officers.[1] It is modeled after Vietnam Veterans Against the War, an organization which earned its credibility by utilizing speakers who had been on the frontlines of the war they later denounced. LEAP now has more than 100,000 members and supporters, approximately 5,000 of whom are from law enforcement, though many choose to remain anonymous.[3] There are 148 speakers living in thirty-five different states in the United States and sixteen other countries.[4] As of January 2014 LEAP has members and supporters in 190 countries.[3]

That is all.
Really? You think we should be paying for those people's meals and lodging in a prison facility?
I think he was just being comical and talking about how insufferable some message board "green panthers" can be. I'm pretty sure WDIK is down for the cause...

Last edited by a moderator:

That is all.
I think he was just talking about how insufferable some message board "green panthers" can be.
I know. But the effect of prohibition has not been to make those people stop smoking, obviously - so the only real effect is going to be putting them in jail. Let 'em burn out and blow away.

Why National Marijuana Legalization Will Inevitably Happen, in One Chart - PolicyMic

The Silent Generation remains opposed to changing drug laws, supporting the status quo by 70%. The youngest members of that cohort are now 69 years old. But if the change in attitudes among Americans in just the past few years is any indication, it won't take the Silent Generation reaching the end of their lifespan for widespread support to peak.

Utah will soon become the 22nd state to legalize medical marijuana. And nearly twice as many Americans think that sugar is more dangerous than marijuana (let alone tobacco and alcohol, both of which outpace weed by large margins).

This is kinda interesting

Age Matters: Marijuana, a fine line between recreation and therapy - NewsAdvance.com : Health

Dear Dr. Camardi,

Bless you a thousand times for the time you took to help us understand why the cancer doctor gave our father pot pills to take when he was dying. I still thought it was illegal, so when the doctor told us it was marijuana I got scared. But after you explained it, we gave them to dad and it did help towards the end but I didn’t know what to think. Now, as I think of those terrible days before he passed, with us at home just like he wanted it, [i realize] it helped quite a lot with his pain and his mood. One night, he went in his sleep all peaceful-like and I guess it was as good as could be expected for what he had.

— Bent Mountain
Since last year, I have gotten an increasing number of emails asking my opinion about or seeking my support for the legalization of marijuana (THC or cannabis). Some 20 states and the District of Columbia are taking steps to decriminalize marijuana, but it is still a federal offense to grow, sell or purchase it.

For me, this is a tale of divergent uses: one is to relieve suffering and the other is a means of recreation. Marijuana is the most frequently used illegal drug in this country. It has been estimated that about 8 to 12 percent of American adults smoke pot at least once a year, and up to one-third of teenagers have used pot sometime during their formative years.

Estimates as to addiction rates range between one in 200 to 300. Keep in mind these numbers are more than likely very conservative, as trying to get reliable statistics about an illegal activity is problematic. Recent reports have highlighted the increased risk of lung cancer that chronic users face, as well as reports of feminization in males. In this context, THC has been associated with decreased testosterone levels leading to lowered libido and sperm counts.

So, how does the body react to pot after it is absorbed? Well, it really doesn’t like it all that much, as blood pressure goes up, along with our breathing rate; the eyes get red, the pulse begins to race and the reaction time of our central nervous system begins to slow. It should also be noted that up to 30 percent of cannabis users complain of dizziness. These effects can last 3 to 6 hours, depending on the person, and pot can stay in your system for over a month. The marijuana “high” takes days to weeks to fully wear off.

Question: Would you want the consumer of pot to be on the road with you? Operate any kind of machinery? Respond swiftly to any given situation? Psychologically, per the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the main effects of marijuana on mood encompass a range of emotions, including euphoria, calmness, short-term memory loss, anxiety, and paranoia. Many now feel it is psychologically addictive in those who use it frequently.

Question: What would you think of a person’s judgment after cannabis use? Would you like them to make decisions for you? Render opinions? The devil in this little detail is how much qualifies as “chronic” use, as the more you use it, the worse the potential risk for problems becomes. Nobody really knows, as good long-term studies do not really exist because of legal restrictions. The individual response to it is not uniform throughout human physiology, so norms of behavior and response are difficult to qualify and quantify.

That said, the Food and Drug Administration does not approve smoked marijuana for any medical indication. The FDA does approve preparations such as Marinol and Cesamet for therapeutic uses. These drugs have the chemicals that are in botanical marijuana in a purified pill form. Therein lies the key: The cannabis plant contains more than 400 individual chemicals, all of which have not been thoroughly studied, which necessitates rigorous controls.

The current state of the art, as supported by the American College of Physicians, recognizes medicinal marijuana for the following therapeutic uses:

• HIV/AIDS wasting syndrome as an appetite stimulant
  • Cancer chemotherapy as an anti-nausea/vomiting agent
  • Chronic pain as an analgesic
  • and neuromuscular disorders, such as multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injury, as an antispasmodic
In the past, I have had good results when prescribing medical marijuana in synergy with narcotics in oncological pain management. As one can see from this list, we are talking about serious disease states that have distinct mortality and morbidity issues with the use of a highly purified form of the drug produced under strict controls.

This brings up the issue of quality assurance in recreational marijuana. There is none. There is nobody in the distribution chain of street pot who assures that what the consumer is getting is what they think they are getting.

Over the years, I’ve seen cannabis make a lot of unsuspecting people sick because the pot was “cut” or “splint” or “extended” with additives such as saw dust, talc, cinnamon, black pepper and ground coconut, but the worst was dried-out cow manure (sorry, but true). All the seller wants is to make money and there was nobody around to hold responsible when these customers complained that their health was put at risk.

Let me be clear: I have reviewed the data as I know it and my conclusion is that marijuana is an intoxicant, a chemical with serious toxic implications for our physical and mental health, and is not a toy. Its place in the clinical arena as an adjunct to other forms of medical therapy is being steadily established year by year. Its use in giving relief and comfort to cancer patients has been well documented and its role in other fields of management is being explored.

It is and should continue to be a controlled substance that must be regulated as a drug. The effect of the chemical upon the nervous system makes the idea of users performing common everyday actions, such as operating vehicles, unacceptable to public safety.

Any questions?

Dr. Camardi’s column runs monthly in Extra.

Over the years, Ive seen cannabis make a lot of unsuspecting people sick because the pot was cut or splint or extended with additives such as saw dust, talc, cinnamon, black pepper and ground coconut, but the worst was dried-out cow manure (sorry, but true). All the seller wants is to make money and there was nobody around to hold responsible when these customers complained that their health was put at risk.
WTF. Where the hell is this guy getting his marijuana? I can't even fathom how marijuana could be cut with things like saw dust, cinnamon, black pepper, or cow manure. It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

And the statement about the "high" lasting for days or weeks (even for chronic users) is preposterous.

This guy is a complete amateur parading around like an expert.

These 3 States Are on the Verge of Legalizing Medical Marijuana - PolicyMic

Florida maryland and Utah, you have a call on the green courtesy phone.
Maryland's House of Delegates has voted 123-13 for significant changes to the ineffective medical marijuana regime already in place in the state. Currently, patients must be prescribed marijuana by academic medical centers with the intention of research; none have yet actually signed up to run the programs, meaning legal medical marijuana is completely inaccessible to patients in Maryland. The changes will allow for doctors to recommend that their patients receive prescription cannabis directly.
The MD Senate already passed a medical marijuana bill. I don't know if it's the same as the House bill though. But I'd bet a bill goes to the governor this spring to sign (or veto, which he won't).

Ariz. County Loses Appeal Over Marijuana Seizure - ABC News

The Supreme Court has refused to overturn Arizona court rulings ordering the Yuma County sheriff to return marijuana that was seized from a woman with a California medical marijuana authorization honored by Arizona.

The justices' order was issued without comment Monday in the case of Valerie Okun, who had marijuana in her car when a Border Patrol agent stopped her and her husband in Yuma County, Ariz., in 2011. She was charged with marijuana possession crimes, but the charges were dropped when she provided proof she was authorized to possess marijuana under California's medical marijuana program. Arizona's medical marijuana law allows people with authorizations from other states to have marijuana in Arizona.

But the Yuma County sheriff refused to return Okun's marijuana, even after Arizona courts ruled in her favor.

Colorado man sues Idaho police over "license-plate profiling" in marijuana case - The Denver Post

A Colorado resident has filed a lawsuit claiming he was the victim of what his attorney calls "license-plate profiling" during a road trip through Idaho last year.

Darien Roseen filed the federal lawsuit Wednesday in the District of Idaho, more than a year after he said he was unlawfully detained and searched for marijuana on the basis of his Colorado license plates.

Mark Coonts, one of three attorneys on the case, said the 69-year-old was cleared after local law enforcement officers in Payette County, Idaho, detained Roseen and for hours searched his Honda Ridgeline truck for the source of an alleged pot smell.

"Assuming guilt based on a license plate — that's just a violation of our civil rights," Coonts said.

The suit was first reported by Fox 31.

Colorado man sues Idaho police over "license-plate profiling" in marijuana case - The Denver Post

A Colorado resident has filed a lawsuit claiming he was the victim of what his attorney calls "license-plate profiling" during a road trip through Idaho last year.

Darien Roseen filed the federal lawsuit Wednesday in the District of Idaho, more than a year after he said he was unlawfully detained and searched for marijuana on the basis of his Colorado license plates.

Mark Coonts, one of three attorneys on the case, said the 69-year-old was cleared after local law enforcement officers in Payette County, Idaho, detained Roseen and for hours searched his Honda Ridgeline truck for the source of an alleged pot smell.

"Assuming guilt based on a license plate — that's just a violation of our civil rights," Coonts said.

The suit was first reported by Fox 31.
In hindsight, that GNJA420 vanity plate probably wasn't the best idea.

CHARLIE MITCHELL: Mississippi marijuana laws are already pretty loose | Charlie Mitchell | The Sun Herald

After two states -- Washington and Colorado -- legalized recreational use of marijuana, people were heard saying, "That will never happen in Mississippi" or "Mississippi will be the last state to do that."

Well, maybe. Maybe not.

Few realize it, but Mississippi was in the vanguard of states "decriminalizing" marijuana possession about 30 years ago, second only to Alaska.

A first or second offense for a small, personal stash (not in a vehicle) carries a maximum fine of $250. That's less than the fine for littering. No jail time, period.

Today, about 20 states have loosened or eliminated marijuana penalties, but Mississippi remains the only decriminalized state in the Old South.

Step across the line into Alabama with the same amount of pot and the fine is $6,000; in Arkansas it's $2,500. Fines are not high (sorry) in Tennessee or Louisiana, but all four border states allow jail sentences up to one year for one joint.

Who knows why Mississippi took this action? Some say it was because lawmakers didn't want to see their kids' names in felony crime reports (as was happening). Some say it was because Mississippians are libertarians at heart. In any event, the Legislature did it, and personal possession of "weed" has not been a big deal since.

In legal circles, the big issue as it relates to the big changes in Washington and Colorado relates to the conflict with federal law, which still bans the production or sale of marijuana for any reason, including medical.

Lawyers and judges like consistency. So does the public, generally. But it's just not there, and not just in the pot context.

For example, the feds insist that only the feds can enforce immigration laws. States, such as Texas and Arizona, face federal lawsuits if they act to limit state spending on health care, education or other services to undocumented residents.

But federal forces have consistently ignored state authorization of trafficking in marijuana.

Of course, our whole history of intoxicants and narcotics is inconsistent.

In Mississippi a century ago everybody knew where the "opium dens" were. There was Christian sympathy for those hooked on narcotics, but no one would be locked up for ruining his or her own life by staying weirded out. As long as the addicts didn't bother anyone else, the law didn't bother them. Imagine. Not a single person in prison on a drug charge.

Then, of course, came prohibition. From 1920 until 1933, trafficking in or possession of liquor or beer nationally was illegal. Mississippi was more strict. Official prohibition started here in 1907 and didn't end until 1966, although during the later years liquor taxed in other states could legally be sold in Mississippi via purchase of a "black market" license.

Even when Mississippi went "wet," lawmakers told locals to decide. Under "local option" today, more than 30 of Mississippi's 82 counties, most right down the center of the state, are all dry or have dry areas. In those counties, a beer or a marijuana cigarette carry roughly the same penalties.

Clearly, freedom in America means freedom to change our minds, individually or collectively.

Most feel regulation and taxation were the twin motivations for changing the law in Washington and Colorado. As with alcohol, the "people are going to do it anyway" argument prevailed.

For several sessions now, legislation has been introduced in Jackson to permit physicians to prescribe marijuana, ostensibly as a palliative for pain-wracked patients. While extremely limited use of a marijuana extract in treatment of a rare childhood disease has been OK'd, other bills have never made it out of committee for a floor debate or discussion. The general assumption remains that there is no impetus for change.

That doesn't mean the Legislature won't surprise us. Remember, there was no public push and no public conversation about casinos, either. Then, one day in 1990 after lawmakers adjoined, there it was. Vegas-style gambling had been authorized as a new revenue source in a state where at the same time the Supreme Court was deciding whether bingo games in VFW halls were constitutional.

Stay tuned in. The pendulum swings, sometimes pretty rapidly.

Charlie Mitchell, former editor of the Vicksburg Post, is assistant dean of the Meek School of Journalism and New Media at the University of Mississippi. Write to him at Box 1, University, MS 38677. Email: cmitchell43@yahoo.com.

Interesting battle just concluded in the Maryland House this week. Earlier in the week, the Judiciary Committee, headed by a 77-year-old anti-decriminalization Democrat, tried to table the decriminalization bill for a two year "study." His fellow House Dems raised holy hell for a couple of days and got the bill brought up for a full House vote instead, and passed it yesterday (a Saturday) 78-55 on the final day of the session. It's expected to be approved by the Senate, after which it will go to the desk of one uncomfortable governor. Vetoing it will be a waste of time since all of the Dem gubernatorial candidates this November favor at least decriminalization. But poor Marty doesn't know if he can get elected president if he signs the bill.

So it looks like we're going to get seriously relaxed weed regs here. If things run relatively smoothly in Colorado and Washington -- and they start banking $100 million in tax revenues every year -- we're probably a couple of years away from full legalization. Opponents aren't getting any younger.

In FL a super lawyer named John Morgan is pumping tons of money into medical marijuana. He is friends with Charlie Christ who is going to run on the democratic ticket vs. Rick Scott. The young voters will likely lean left, so getting a voter out for marijuana = a vote for Christ.

Any amendment in FL needs 60% to pass, so it's gonna be tight.

The thing with the CO pot tourism is that it isn't just the tax money that's giving them a boost. When we go, for example, we're staying at a B&B for several days, eating in nice restaurants, paying for a limo to drive us around... pumping a good bit of money into the CO economy and the tax on the MJ itself is just a drop in the bucket.

roadkill1292 said:
Interesting battle just concluded in the Maryland House this week. Earlier in the week, the Judiciary Committee, headed by a 77-year-old anti-decriminalization Democrat, tried to table the decriminalization bill for a two year "study." His fellow House Dems raised holy hell for a couple of days and got the bill brought up for a full House vote instead, and passed it yesterday (a Saturday) 78-55 on the final day of the session. It's expected to be approved by the Senate, after which it will go to the desk of one uncomfortable governor. Vetoing it will be a waste of time since all of the Dem gubernatorial candidates this November favor at least decriminalization. But poor Marty doesn't know if he can get elected president if he signs the bill.

So it looks like we're going to get seriously relaxed weed regs here. If things run relatively smoothly in Colorado and Washington -- and they start banking $100 million in tax revenues every year -- we're probably a couple of years away from full legalization. Opponents aren't getting any younger.
This was a huge win for Mizeur and for the Black Caucus. I've been really impressed with her - still don't think she can overtake Lt. Gov. Brown to win the Governor's race, but she has done a really good job. My guess is that full-on legalization might happen within 5 years in Maryland.

The thing with the CO pot tourism is that it isn't just the tax money that's giving them a boost. When we go, for example, we're staying at a B&B for several days, eating in nice restaurants, paying for a limo to drive us around... pumping a good bit of money into the CO economy and the tax on the MJ itself is just a drop in the bucket.
I stumbled across a blurb somewhere this weekend that something like 42% of recreational sales are to out-of-staters and that Denver had leaped to the No. 3 spring break destination this year (by one travel metric anyway -- they counted up airline bookings from emails ending in ".edu"). In any event, few things catch the eye of legislators more than discretionary spending fleeing across neighboring state lines. It's the main reason we have casinos here in Maryland.

roadkill1292 said:

This was a huge win for Mizeur and for the Black Caucus. I've been really impressed with her - still don't think she can overtake Lt. Gov. Brown to win the Governor's race, but she has done a really good job. My guess is that full-on legalization might happen within 5 years in Maryland.
I think that once the net revenue benefit of legalization gets out, Maryland will hop on the weed wagon quickly. I'd put 5 years as the outside, with an over/under of 3.

Minnesota governor Dayton, being his usual spineless self, says he'll only support medical and recreational legalization if he gets the go-ahead from law enforcement interests. So MJ in this state is a no go for at least a few more years.

ETA: Hopefully a neighboring state legalizes soon. WI or IA preferably as I'm closest to them.

Minnesota governor Dayton, being his usual spineless self, says he'll only support medical and recreational legalization if he gets the go-ahead from law enforcement interests. So MJ in this state is a no go for at least a few more years.

ETA: Hopefully a neighboring state legalizes soon. WI or IA preferably as I'm closest to them.
Louisiana just pulled its lower penalties marijuana possession bill because of law enforcement opposition. Not decriminalization, just making it so second possession isn't as many years in prison.

It's hard for me to overstate how much I hate these state legislatures bowing down to law enforcement officials on matters of public policy. The cops aren't looking at what's best for society, or how to address the racial inequalities in marijuana enforcement, or how to generate tax revenue, they're just trying to hang on to one of their easiest and most lucrative ways of busting citizens that are pretty much otherwise not bothering anyone else.

Louisiana just pulled its lower penalties marijuana possession bill because of law enforcement opposition. Not decriminalization, just making it so second possession isn't as many years in prison.
That can't be the case, I got laughed at for suggesting you can still go to prison for this.

This is a couple of weeks old, but legalization has been proposed in NJ. Won't happen under Christie, but they're at least pushing the subject forward.

Making good on a promise he announced in January, a Union County state senator is expected to introduce legislation Monday that will make the case for legalizing and taxing marijuana in New Jersey.

Sen. Nicholas Scutari, (D-Union), a municipal prosecutor who sponsored the medical marijuana law, will hold a press conference at the Statehouse Monday afternoon to discuss how the legislation would work. Scutari said he envisioned a system similar to the state’s medical marijuana laws in that facilities would have to be licensed to grow and sell pot.

Scutari has said he intended to model the bill after Colorado, which netted $2 million in sales tax for the first month of marijuana sales in January. But revenue is not the most important impetus for the change, Scutari said, declaring the war on marijuana a "failure." Changing the law would dry up the illegal drug market and clean up neighborhood street corners, he said.

"We’re not delusional about how simple the effort would be," Scutari said. "But I think from a standpoint of moving this state and this country forward on its archaic drug laws, I think it’s a step in the right direction."

The bill's prospects of getting signed into law are slim to none as long as Gov. Chris Christie is in office. The Republican former prosecutor has repeatedly said he would never sign legislation that legalizes or even decriminalizes marijuana possession because of the message it would send to kids.

Even Senate President Stephen Sweeney (D-Gloucester) has said he is in no rush to push the measure through the legislature.

"I'm open to the idea, but we've got to look at what's going on in the states," Sweeney told The Star-Ledger Editorial Board in January. "I am not a big believer in re-creating the wheel."

"I'm open to listening to Nick Scutari's suggestions on this," Sweeney said, praising Scutari for having "the courage to talk about marijuana. He is positioning New Jersey" to act on the matter when a new governor is elected.

And it has some interesting support:

The New Jersey State Municipal Prosecutors Association supports legalizing possession of marijuana.

Seven members of the group’s board of trustees voted to back the idea. Two were opposed, and one member abstained.

“We are spending too much time and getting not enough results when it comes to prosecuting small amounts of marijuana,” Jon-Henry Barr, head of the Municipal Prosecutors Association, told WCBS 880′s Marla Diamond.

I thought this was a very insightful interview with the Maryland State Delegate who saved the decriminalization bill, though I recognize it might be of limited interest to those outside Maryland. Funny that the Delegate, Keifer Mitchell, is now being called Reefer Mitchell by his colleagues.

Delegate Afzali’s family stories and Delegate McDermott’s screaming at the end, though they were heartfelt and genuine, they seemed like “Reefer Madness,” outdated, early twentieth century, anti-marijuana talk.

I’ve learned in politics that they weren’t talking to us, they were talking to their constituents. It’s an election year. McDermott wanted to go out on one of those controversial issues with fire and brimstone and it was funny because after the vote we ended up seeing each other in the hallway and he was hugging me. I was hugging him and we were laughing at each other.

Whenever there is some great social progress there will always be that one guy there screaming ‘Stop!’ That’s traditional conservatism, but how much of it was real and how much of it was for show?

He made some good points. And I think a lot of it was genuine and real. He’s a former law enforcement officer. I think he just felt that it wasn’t the right time and he wanted to make sure it was probably his last big floor speech on a big issue because he’s running for Senate. He was just like “Here we go. Let me go out in style,” I guess.
Some of this captures what I hate about politics - people putting on a big act in public, for political reasons, then literally hugging and laughing with their rival in private. It's kind of a joke to them, but it's a joke their constituents aren't in on, leaving them filled up with anger and vitriol.

Once it's decriminalized I'd say it'll be more like 2-3 years until legalization. There just isn't much strong opposition to it in MD, besides old politicians and some police chiefs willing to embarrass themselves mouthing misinformation. I'm still laughing at that police chief citing "37 marijuana overdose deaths" from that comedy article as something that really happened.

Once it's decriminalized I'd say it'll be more like 2-3 years until legalization. There just isn't much strong opposition to it in MD, besides old politicians and some police chiefs willing to embarrass themselves mouthing misinformation. I'm still laughing at that police chief citing "37 marijuana overdose deaths" from that comedy article as something that really happened.
If something prevents them from being able to put a speed camera up on every road, they'll legalize it in under a year. Need that money.

They'll net more money from it being decriminalized than they do currently. It's no like sending people to jail for 1/4 ounce is making anyone any money now. Freeing up police and prosecutorial time to deal with other cases, less need to prosecute so many low-level drug cases -- I'm seeing lower costs coming out of it.

I'm curious...for all those states taking a wait and see approach to what happens in Colorado, what period of time will they use to evaluate the "success" of this experiment? 1 year? I've seen in a couple anti-MJ comments that we'll wait and see what the impact on the social programs is...I wasn't sure what was meant by that? Would that be referring to add'l people entering rehab clinics and such?

Also, for those states taking a wait and see approach, what are they looking for specifically? Increase in crime, drug addiction, tax revenues? I'm not sure if the issues are more social or are they fiscal or combination of both?

There is a strong "first mover" advantage to being first to legalize. Over here on the east coast, whoever does it first will gain a LOT of tourism for a couple of years while we wait for everyone else to catch up.

It's hard for me to overstate how much I hate these state legislatures bowing down to law enforcement officials on matters of public policy. The cops aren't looking at what's best for society, or how to address the racial inequalities in marijuana enforcement, or how to generate tax revenue, they're just trying to hang on to one of their easiest and most lucrative ways of busting citizens that are pretty much otherwise not bothering anyone else.
:goodposting: I would have tossed asset forfeiture in there too, but I'm not sure whether pot plays a big role in that.

:goodposting: I would have tossed asset forfeiture in there too, but I'm not sure whether pot plays a big role in that.
very big

I'm curious...for all those states taking a wait and see approach to what happens in Colorado, what period of time will they use to evaluate the "success" of this experiment? 1 year? I've seen in a couple anti-MJ comments that we'll wait and see what the impact on the social programs is...I wasn't sure what was meant by that? Would that be referring to add'l people entering rehab clinics and such?

Also, for those states taking a wait and see approach, what are they looking for specifically? Increase in crime, drug addiction, tax revenues? I'm not sure if the issues are more social or are they fiscal or combination of both?
I actually don't have any problem with people who have taken the "wait and see" line. It makes sense that a governor or state legislator would want to see how Colorado regulates its marijuana supply chain, whether those regulations are effective/efficient. how the financial and banking issues shake out, how DC responds, etc. All of these are issues where it's at least reasonable to learn from Colorado's experience, and that just takes a little time. Not the approach I would take -- I would legalize marijuana in my state tomorrow if I could -- but it's a fair perspective.

I'd much rather be governed by a "wait and see" legislature than a bunch of doofuses who want to do whatever local law enforcement prefers.

Users who are viewing this thread