What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Man Caves-building one in 2013 (1 Viewer)

RustyFA4

Footballguy
Please post pics of your man cave. Ideas, suggestions or questions for your own man cave.

I bought my house on Thanksgiving of 2011 and it is time for me to make a man cave in the basement. I have a basement room that is 14 ft wide by 31 foot long that I would like to finish off to create a man cave. I am going to put a wall and door/door frame and electrical in by April or so. Any suggestions on how to do a drop ceiling? Any suggestions on cool things for the room? I will get a pool table and may have a small wet bar. I am thinking a couple chairs and tv for football. I have a 48 incher to go down there. Football/ north woods fishing hunting decor. Any thoughts there?

I had a nice man cave in my last home but it was really set up for a young married couple. Lots of fun and beer/ booze associated with it. This will be more kid friendly.

I did stadium seating. Very happy I did. Good luck

Only other suggestion would be to not build the wall all at once on the floor and then lift it. You never know how unlevel basement floors can be. I did it against the concrete.

Bigger is better. Man cave should have 70 inch TV or projector.
This. If you don't do it right away, at least plan for it. I put in a projector and 100" screen last year (and wish I could have gone bigger). Picture quality is outstanding (better than I was expecting) and would be even better in a basement with little ambient light. Plan your speaker and HDMI wires now so you don't have to fish later.

I did stadium seating. Very happy I did. Good luckOnly other suggestion would be to not build the wall all at once on the floor and then lift it. You never know how unlevel basement floors can be. I did it against the concrete.
Saw this the other day and thought it was a cool use of reclaimed materials:My link

Mine has a 2-burner cooktop, fridge, sink, and microwave, 2 large desks, several bookcases, a 52" LCD TV, a leather chaise, a sign that says, "restricted area", and occupies most of the downstairs.

Please post pics of your man cave. Ideas, suggestions or questions for your own man cave.

I bought my house on Thanksgiving of 2011 and it is time for me to make a man cave in the basement. I have a basement room that is 14 ft wide by 31 foot long that I would like to finish off to create a man cave. I am going to put a wall and door/door frame and electrical in by April or so. Any suggestions on how to do a drop ceiling? Any suggestions on cool things for the room? I will get a pool table and may have a small wet bar. I am thinking a couple chairs and tv for football. I have a 48 incher to go down there. Football/ north woods fishing hunting decor. Any thoughts there?

I had a nice man cave in my last home but it was really set up for a young married couple. Lots of fun and beer/ booze associated with it. This will be more kid friendly.
Yeah, it sounds like you're running a pre-school down there.

Nearly finished renovating my basement w/ wet bar and built-in entertainment unit. I'll post some pics in a few weeks if the words 'Man cave' are removed from this thread.

Thanks Tuco and a couple others. I'd be putting in a floor, a couple walls, dry wall, electric, a drop ceiling etc. so I consider it building. And I would be doing the work.

I am Blessed that I have a great wife, I'm not trying to escape. I just enjoy projects and this is the next thing to improve the value and our enjoyment of the house. Kid friendly because I have a kid. I'm surprised how negative the comments are. Just don't post if you have nothing to add.

Negative comments aside, are you really going to be able to maintain a 7'-6" ceiling height with a drop ceiling by the time you get done hiding the plumbing and ductwork? Some other friendly advice; homeowner drop ceilings rarely end up satisfactorily, you might want to save up and have a pro do this and I don't mean a carpenter.

Thanks Tuco and a couple others. I'd be putting in a floor, a couple walls, dry wall, electric, a drop ceiling etc. so I consider it building. And I would be doing the work.

I am Blessed that I have a great wife, I'm not trying to escape. I just enjoy projects and this is the next thing to improve the value and our enjoyment of the house. Kid friendly because I have a kid. I'm surprised how negative the comments are. Just don't post if you have nothing to add.
They are jealous. And bitter.It's like the nerds standing in the corner of the cafeteria criticizing the cool kids because it makes them feel better. Just ask BGP. He has it all figured out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Run wires for surround sound either behind the walls or through the ceiling; allow yourself plenty of options and make sure to label stuff as you're going so that the sounds come out of the correct speakers.

31' long? Consider sectioning it informally - keep one area focused on home theater, and the second part on gaming. The first 18 feet or so of mine is arranged for movies/video games, while the rear portion has the dart board, pinball machine, beer fridge, bookshelves, and auxiliary stereo.

Get your speaker wireand any other A/V related wiring, outlets, etc. from Monoprice. You'll save a metric ton of money over Monster Priced Cable.

Levelling the floor is a VERY good idea. I should have spent more time on this.

If the basement has a tendency to get damp on occasion, or you just want a warmer floor, install a subfloor such as Delta-FL; I used this and it works amazingly well, acts as both a moisture barrier and insulator and, if you're using a thick laminate, you can install it directly ver the top of the sheeting.

Have fun! :thumbup:

They are jealous. And bitter.It's like the nerds standing in the corner of the cafeteria criticizing the cool kids because it makes them feel better. Just ask BGP. He has it all figured out.
I would argue that anybody that uses the term "man cave" is a dink.

Entertainment center under construction. Going on one year. Will be ready for 2013 NFl season. 4 shelves completely finished out of 13. Picture not very good because the correct lighting has yet to be run in the back basement. 5 TV set up. Center TV is 55" 4 outside TVs are 32". The 4 shelves where the 32" TVs go can be converted into a total of 8 shelves if TVs are not wanted by next homeowner. Overall dimensions are 136" x 10' then it contimues on at 120 degrees where there are bookcases on each side (not in picture).

Bar is next after this is completed.

I finished my basement, couple things I learned

1. don't finish the whole thing, leave yourself plenty of storage area, you'll fill it up fast especially with kids

2. plan ahead and know where electronics are going so you can pre-run the wires and then have all the controls in a closed closet so the kids don't have cords or electronics to trip over/play with tv wall with no wires

3. make sure the furniture will fit down the stairs. We planned to use couches from upstairs in our finished basement, got home and the contractor was ahead of schedule and had put a wall up making it impossible to get the couch down the stairs, had to buy a sectional that came in pieces, that was an expensive mistake on my part

4. we had a more expensive dropped ceiling installed, it was worth it, something like this really hides the grid work well. 5 days after installing the ceiling we had a leak that ruined a few of the tiles, if we had drywalled the ceiling it would have been a disaster

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of basement

100X60 on a movie screen. Was just gonna shoot it on the wall but figured as much as I was spending on everything might as well make it sweet.

Furniture all from Lovesac. Beanbags are sweet. But the couch setup is a sectional that you can put in whatever formation you want. And the pieces made it easy to get it downstairs. Recommend sound-proofing the ceiling.

What you can't see is some big entertainment system. We put everything in a box in the furnace room (sound system, xbox, blue-ray, directtv). It all runs off one radio remote. The only thing is a sub-woofer in the left corner.

Hats off to you do-it-yourselfers. :bow:

Part of basement

100X60 on a movie screen. Was just gonna shoot it on the wall but figured as much as I was spending on everything might as well make it sweet.

Furniture all from Lovesac. Beanbags are sweet. But the couch setup is a sectional that you can put in whatever formation you want. And the pieces made it easy to get it downstairs. Recommend sound-proofing the ceiling.

What you can't see is some big entertainment system. We put everything in a box in the furnace room (sound system, xbox, blue-ray, directtv). It all runs off one radio remote. The only thing is a sub-woofer in the left corner.

Hats off to you do-it-yourselfers. :bow:
Your wife must have worked really hard to buy all of that for you.

Negative comments aside, are you really going to be able to maintain a 7'-6" ceiling height with a drop ceiling by the time you get done hiding the plumbing and ductwork? Some other friendly advice; homeowner drop ceilings rarely end up satisfactorily, you might want to save up and have a pro do this and I don't mean a carpenter.
Probably really great advice. I am fairly handy but I am not looking forward to that. I hate drop ceilings too but toolset access to duct work, plumbing and electric doesn't seem worth it tome either. I'll look into the cost.

This thread may provide some good information.http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=453350&st=0
Thanks, I'll read it over. Some great pics and ideas. I am worried because only about 15 percent of basements where I live are dry. I bought one but last summer was drought conditions so I didn't see any huge rains. I want to do electrical and put in one wall and perhaps the drop down ceiling before summer just to be safe. Perhaps put up the 2 x4s as well. I don't really want to put up the dry wall before I am sure there will be no water at all.

Man cave? Ha! I just bought a man-house! See my thread, will answer yours.

Just bought a house in the Pocono mountains. Thing is gonna look like a bar. Already have leather seated bar stools with brass finishes that cost me $600 each. Just me and the doggie. Gonna make Buffalo Wild Wings look like a "man cave". Need more flat panel TV's though.

You guys aren't "building" anything. Stop.
How do you figure?
You're decorating a previously existing room, you are not "building" it.
Okay. What did I do to get my bar, wall unit, bookshelf and walls if it wasn't building?
You decorated a room with those items. Same as any drapes and carpet.
:lol:Okay. I decorated my basement by putting a bunch of wood together into pretty shapes.

'Cliff Clavin said:
'Good said:
'Cliff Clavin said:
'Good said:
You guys aren't "building" anything. Stop.
How do you figure?
You're decorating a previously existing room, you are not "building" it.
Okay. What did I do to get my bar, wall unit, bookshelf and walls if it wasn't building?
You decorated a room with those items. Same as any drapes and carpet.
:lol:Okay. I decorated my basement by putting a bunch of wood together into pretty shapes.
Yeah. As an architect in NYC, I guess I havent "built" anything... ever. ####. If I'd known I was just a decorator I'd have been making more money.

Here are some pics of my basement which I finished in Fall of 2011.

My link

I contracted most of it out except for the design and electrical work, which I did myself.

Users who are viewing this thread