What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Man Allegedly Pulled Gun On MAGA Hat Wearing Couple - Media Reporting and Being Careful (1 Viewer)

What's Worse? - Noose put around your neck and attacked because of being black and gay or loaded gun

• Noose by far

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Noose by some

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Both equal

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Gun by some

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Gun by far

Votes: 11 22.4%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
The Jussie Smollett case and how the media reported it made me think about news stories. 

Saw this pop up today:

https://www.wnky.com/man-accused-of-pulling-gun-on-couple-wearing-maga-hats/

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – A Tennessee man is charged with first-degree wanton endangerment after witnesses told police he pulled a gun on a man who was wearing Make America Great Again hat inside Sam’s Club.

The hat is associated with President Donald Trump’s campaign for office.

clipped

Much of news is "police scoop" type stuff. Crime is reported to the police and the media relays the story. That's pretty much how things have been for a while.

I think the question can be asked, what's the media to do on these?

As I said in another thread, I do think the media has the responsibility to be suspicious. Especially when the story is explosive. And sounds suspicious. I also understand the pressure of not being late with news. 

In the story above, I have no idea what's happened since then.

What has changed with society is the speed and volume with which people react to stories. What used to be talking about it at the watercooler is now broadcast to the world. I do think there's a responsibility on us too with how we promote / diminish / move forward stories.

It's an interesting and kind of weird world. 

Edit - Added Poll

Last edited by a moderator:
The Jussie Smollett case and how the media reported it made me think about news stories. 

Saw this pop up today:

Much of news is "police scoop" type stuff. Crime is reported to the police and the media relays the story. That's pretty much how things have been for a while.

As I said in another thread, I do think the media has the responsibility to be suspicious. Especially when the story is explosive. And sounds suspicious. I also understand the pressure of not being late with news. 

What has changed with society is the speed and volume with which people react to stories. What used to be talking about it at the watercooler is now broadcast to the world. I do think there's a responsibility on us too with how we promote / diminish / move forward stories.

Perfect world, the MAGA hat isn't even mentioned.  But if that happened, then it wouldn't be a story at all.  There are people getting guns pulled on them daily.  It's so sad that both sides want to make a deal about a stupid HAT.....Everyone just wants to be angry.

Saw this pop up today:

I don't think the problem lies in reporting these stories, they must be reported, but it's what they do, or don't do, with follow up stories is what leaves the most impression on their reporting.  If the story no longer fits their narrative they tend to ignore the story going forward, leaving the damage done by their previous reporting instead of setting the record straight so to speak.

I don't think the problem lies in reporting these stories, they must be reported, but it's what they do, or don't do, with follow up stories is what leaves the most impression on their reporting.  If the story no longer fits their narrative they tend to ignore the story going forward, leaving the damage done by their previous reporting.
See and I dont think they must be reported.  the only reason to report t it is to garner clicks and TV viewership by stirring up the masses.  

See and I dont think they must be reported.  the only reason to report t it is to garner clicks and TV viewership by stirring up the masses.  
It's still news and the public has a right to know.  But if they're reckless with subsequent reporting, or lack thereof because it no longer fits their narrative, that's the problem.

It's still news and the public has a right to know.  But if they're reckless with subsequent reporting, or lack thereof because it no longer fits their narrative, that's the problem.
I don't think it's news.   That's the difference.  Like I said, there are probably dozens, maybe more of these instances everyday, because he has a MAGA hat on now it becomes news?  Not news.  

People are also confusing reporting with social media reaction and MSM punditry.

There’s nothing wrong with the linked report just like there was nothing wrong with the initial Smollett report. Journalists follow rules in reporting, they’ve done that here.

People are also confusing reporting with social media reaction and MSM punditry.

There’s nothing wrong with the linked report just like there was nothing wrong with the initial Smollett report. Journalists follow rules in reporting, they’ve done that here.
+1

And journalists report the corrections when they get the story wrong.

Odd thought: What is the worse thing?:

Noose put around your neck and attacked because of being black and gay or loaded gun pulled and pointed at you because of wearing MAGA hat?

Of course.

That's why I wrote: "What has changed with society is the speed and volume with which people react to stories. What used to be talking about it at the watercooler is now broadcast to the world. I do think there's a responsibility on us too with how we promote / diminish / move forward stories."

Noose put around your neck and attacked because of being black and gay or loaded gun pulled and pointed at you because of wearing MAGA hat?
The first one, if it had been real, because he was actually attacked. Otherwise they’re both awful. 

I voted "Noose by far" = not because of the immediate threat - that is the gun.  But, more because the noose represents an undercurrent that is harder to detect, yet still a real danger.

I voted "Noose by far" = not because of the immediate threat - that is the gun.  But, more because the noose represents an undercurrent that is harder to detect, yet still a real danger.
...which is most likely why Smollette chose it as a prop in his ALLEGED attempt to widen the racial divide....along with the MAGA hat and the "MAGA country" remark.

People on the left WANT to believe it.

Joe Bryant said:

Maybe it should be which *allegation* is worse since everyone is banging the drum to wait for the facts.

Sinn Fein said:
Thanks. Can you elaborate more on the bolded and why you think it's more important? I'm not disagreeing. Just trying to understand more. 

Yeah, I can see that. I think though in this one it's more hypothetical. For the poll, assume both actually happened. Then vote which one is worse. 
...as if any member of the radical left would even carry a gun (or even know which end to point away from himself) just as any member of the radical right would even have heard of Jusse Smollette.

...as if any member of the radical left would even carry a gun (or even which end to point away from himself) just as any member of the radical right would even have heard of Jusse Smollette.
Wait, what happened in the story in the OP? Are you saying that’s not a member of the radical left?

Lots of idiots out there. Boff sidez.

Until now only one side has produced people actually shooting up pizza places or running down protesters, though (if keeping count is a thing)

I'm a skeptic.  Being posted in the MSM makes me even more so.

Now...had he attacked the guy with a mop handle...I may buy it.

Joe Bryant said:

Why do we think of the Holocaust in terms of genocide against Jews but not against communists? The Nazis were putting the commies in camps long before they even got around to the Jews.

The reason is because, while violence against anyone is horrific, we consider it a special category when it is done based on immutable characteristics like race or religion as opposed to something like political preferences, particularly if that racial or relgious group has historically faced discrimination and violence.

So if an African American were attacked by racists who put a noose around his neck, it would be awful not just for the message it sent to him, but for the message it sent to all black people, who are keenly aware of this country's long history of using lynching as a form of political terrorism. 

Pulling a gun on someone for their political beliefs is bad, just as pulling a gun on someone for any reason is bad. But they're not in the same category.

I'm just going to add that this is a really weird poll for anyone to post, much less a board moderator.

Seems like you're asking everyone to be decent and then fanning the flames with something like this.

But, of course that's your right. Just seems weird.

>>Phillips, who was wearing a veterans cap, told police he made the gesture at the man and a woman with him because of the MAGA hats they were wearing, according to his citation. The man then confronted Phillips inside the store and an argument began.<<

- The alleged assailant *may be a veteran.

- The alleged victim mixed it up with the attacker. Slightly different twist on the story.

The version I heard yesterday was that the victim was (understandably) pretty offended and had his wife with him, but he confronted the guy and they got into it. Then the guy pulled a gun on him.

Opie said:
What is this word "allegedly" of which you speak?
That was my first thought.  There are actual witnesses to this and charges were filed.  Not even in the same galaxy as the Jussie hoax.

Why do we think of the Holocaust in terms of genocide against Jews but not against communists? The Nazis were putting the commies in camps long before they even got around to the Jews.

The reason is because, while violence against anyone is horrific, we consider it a special category when it is done based on immutable characteristics like race or religion as opposed to something like political preferences, particularly if that racial or relgious group has historically faced discrimination and violence.
I'd say it's also because the number of Jews killed was 6 million but the number of Communists killed was much smaller.

Thanks. Can you elaborate more on the bolded and why you think it's more important? I'm not disagreeing. Just trying to understand more. 
Trying to figure out how to put this succinctly.

I think history plays into it, we have a history of oppression with african-americans, that has not developed with respect to MAGA wearers - but I think the noose is worse - because I think that the person wielding the noose is a danger to similarly situated people - even if he does not have the noose.  The noose is symbolic that people still think you are a 2nd class citizen.

I think gun-guy, is only a danger to MAGA-guy, if he has a gun.

I voted noose.  Because a black man can't choose to not be black.  He (or she) was targeted because of their color.   A MAGA hat wearer can choose to not wear the hat.  So for instance, if he is going into a known hostile environment for a MAGA hat wearer(like this bored HA HA HA --joking..kind of)  he can choose to not wear it.  

A black man cant choose to not be black when he needs to.

So I chose noose--by some

Are we talking about the noose around the neck being applied like a ring toss game, or is the noose attached to a tree? Playing ring toss with a noose is an extremely unlikely scenario, which we are seeing play out in real time. 

In this hypothetical, what is the black or gay person a symbol of that would cause someone to put a rope around his neck? Is it pure hatred of the "other"? Would that person doing the lynching also be inclined to wear the symbol of the MAGA hat?

There is power in symbols and what they represent; good and bad. The swastika was an ancient symbol of divinity and spirituality before being subverted by the Nazi's and having their thoughts and beliefs attached to it. The red MAGA hat if it existed 10 years ago would be just a tacky trucker hat. As the years pass, it is becoming a symbol of what Trump represents and believes. Like the swastika; that is positive and negative to certain groups of people.

If the choice is "what's worse", I'd say trying to kill someone just because of a hatred of human attributes they don't control; skin color, gender, sexual orientation, is a huge magnitude worse that someone being threatened for choosing to wear a symbol that many associate with hatred, intolerance and lawlessness. 

I'd say it's also because the number of Jews killed was 6 million but the number of Communists killed was much smaller.
Sure, the 6 million number has a powerful value (it's one reason Holocaust deniers frequently seek to discredit it, as if it would have been OK if the Nazis had only killed 2 million). Still, I don't think that's what makes the Holocaust significant. According to Wikipedia, the Nazis murdered 130K-500K Roma, 270K disabled people, and 5K-15K homosexuals. It's true that we probably hear more about the Jews because of the 6 million number, but I would consider each of those categories to be equally significant.

Not trying to sidetrack the conversation but I think it's a really important point that goes to the heart of Joe's question. The Holocaust is just one example of how we as a society have generally decided to view crimes committed on the basis of race, religion or other immutable status to be worse than other crimes, particularly if that group has faced historical discrimination. Hate-crimes legislation is another.

I would actually like to see this poll a little differently. 

If a black guy is getting beat up by two dudes and they have a noose it is believable he was afraid for his life. 

What if it was two guys jumped out from behind a dumpster quick threw a noose on him and immediately ran away? 

Would people still think that is worse than having a gun pulled on you?

That would change my vote.

JohnnyU said:
I don't think the problem lies in reporting these stories, they must be reported, but it's what they do, or don't do, with follow up stories is what leaves the most impression on their reporting.  If the story no longer fits their narrative they tend to ignore the story going forward, leaving the damage done by their previous reporting instead of setting the record straight so to speak.
I imagine you're pleased with CNN's continued reporting of the Smollett story.

Joe Bryant said:

I've never know anyone to accidentally discharge a rope.  So yeah, I'd say the gun is worse by about 10,000x. 

Wow man, you know I blacked out awhile back and woke up thinking some left wing loon shot up a bunch of congressmen.
Let's not do comps with political assassins and mass murders or 'your lunatic is worse than mine'.

- There's probably a point to be made about how propaganda, disinformation, misinformation and just plain noise pushed out by the worst kinds of sources and even political strategists creates enough anger and madness that eventually a madman is triggered. 

Users who are viewing this thread