What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mail Order Steaks, Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Ordered the great 8 and it comes with 2 wagyu filets thrown in.  Going to be doing a lot of grilling (always grill steaks like Swanson suggested) starting next Saturday :thumbup:  

Last edited by a moderator:
The fat is the best part if you cook it right.  I pretty much buy only ribeyes and the wife and kids want the "filet" part which is fine with me because I'm all about that cap.
I was at a prime rib night that a local bar did a couple years back.  Looking around at everybody trimming the fat and leaving it on the plate :loco:

I have great eight and about 4 lbs of ground beef showing up tomorrow.  Order over a week ago when they had like a 10% sale on.  Looking forward to this weekend!

The only answer here is Crowd Cow

They source from many different farms and providers, including Snake River Farms. They only sell high quality meat, but it isn't all exceedingly expensive. They have real Japanese Kobe (including A5), American Waygu, all grass-fed and pasture raised, grass-fed and grain finished, etc..

Because the meat comes from smaller providers, the selection varies, but they generally have some great and hard to find cuts. I order Pincanha (Culotte Steaks) and Vacio (Bavette Steaks) from them.

Delivery is free if you order over some fixed amount. It might be $100, I can't remember. The meat is delivered in a well-insulated box packed with dry ice. 

The fat is the best part if you cook it right.  I pretty much buy only ribeyes and the wife and kids want the "filet" part which is fine with me because I'm all about that cap.
for my birthday in late February I finally broke down and made the plunge to buy a 12lb prime rib and have the butcher trim the cap off as a separate piece.  I then sliced it in about 1" pieces and a quick grill.  Really happy with it.  

My go to is Flannery Beef .... maybe just a NorCal thing. Great products across the board, and even better customer service. Plus, I like supporting a “small guy” in times like these. 
Thanks, going to check this out.

I signed up for Butcher Box and got an account at Thrive Market 6-7 weeks ago, was relatively happy with my first shipments of each.  Only thing I didn't really like was how small the baby back rib packs were (in both shipments), but I guess that's just me used to buying three full racks at Costco at a time.  I just modified the box for my 2nd Butcher Box shipment, definitely seems like there are ways to get more value with their "Custom" box, so playing around with that a bit.  For example in general a whole chicken is a lot cheaper than two 10-oz ribeyes, so I'm not going to be using one of my choices on that chicken.  I also removed the pack of bacon, which I could add in as an extra for $7, and added another two ribeyes.  When I signed up I got the free ground beef offer.

Just going all ribeyes is probably the best move value-wise, but do want to mix it up a little.

Thanks to this thread, I did the Great Eight from Snake River Farms and they were great.  Another order will be delivered on Friday with the Prime Steak Sesh (10 Prime Bone-in Ribeyes), Waygu ground beef and a pork shoulder.

Going to smoke the pork shoulder this weekend.

I honestly never got the whole filet mignon thing. It's a super-easy cut to cook wrong (and when I've been with others who order it at restaurants, it invariably is), even if it is cooked correctly it's so unflavorful compared to other more marbled cuts, and from a cost per pound ratio perspective, it's always out and out criminal. 

The only acceptable use of the filet mignon is for use in Beef Wellington. 

I honestly never got the whole filet mignon thing. It's a super-easy cut to cook wrong (and when I've been with others who order it at restaurants, it invariably is), even if it is cooked correctly it's so unflavorful compared to other more marbled cuts, and from a cost per pound ratio perspective, it's always out and out criminal. 

It’s the steak for people that don’t really like steak.

The only one I’ve ever had that was really good is the bone-in filet at Bobo’s in SF.

Got the steaks from Snake River Farms as well as bunch of ground beef.  Did burgers one night and did a porterhouse last night.  Steak was very good but I have gotten better from my local butcher.  I didn't go for the super high-end stuff and got the great 8, which is choice grade but was very well marbled for choice.  Did a porterhouse since one can feed the whole family but to be honest the shell steaks I got looked better then the porterhouses.  Ground beef for burger though was amazing as it was Waygu ground beef and they came out awesome.  Honestly some of the best burgers I have been able to produce.  

I love thin sliced filet added raw to pho. A whole smoked tenderloin as a roast can be good too.  Not much use for it as a grilling steak though. 

If you're going to drop $75/lb + delivery for Snake River Farms, you might as well drop drop $85/lb shipped for actual legit Japanese A5 Wagyu via Costco. 

Pinching pennies? American Waygu Ribeye for $41/lb delivered

As with all things, Costco guarantees quality or money back. 

As the person who has likely cooked and consumed among the most Japanese A5 Waygu in here, I'll echo the sentiments that TRUE high-grade Waygu beef is in a completely different league. 

Try Japanese A5 Wagyu Filet. You'll withdraw your flavorful complaint ;)  

Ordered the great 8 and it comes with 2 wagyu filets thrown in.  Going to be doing a lot of grilling (always grill steaks like Swanson suggested) starting next Saturday :thumbup:  
So these two are tiny (~6 ox) and I'm worried about putting them on the grill at such a high heat as I normally grill (~900*)....so decided may as well order a sous vide to add to our kitchen

Just found out a local meat market has Japanese A5 wagyu steaks...$124.99/lb for ribeyes. They also have american snake river wagyu filets.

Gonna go check the place out next week.

Just found out a local meat market has Japanese A5 wagyu steaks...$124.99/lb for ribeyes. They also have american snake river wagyu filets.

Gonna go check the place out next week.
Apparently Costco has Japanese A5 Wagyu cuts now, though I am not sure on the price/lb for ribeyes. 

Ever since I bought one of those meat thermometer probes, so easy to get it just how I like it.   Its nice to just totally forget about it, let it beat when it gets to the correct internal temp, let it rest for 5 and close to perfect.  

Sliced thin and added raw to beef Pho is perfection.

Try Japanese A5 Wagyu Filet. You'll withdraw your flavorful complaint ;)  
True Japanese A5 Wagyu is in another league, regardless of cut. Apples and airplanes.

One thing about COVID-19 and some beef supply-chain shortages/pressure is that my local Costco's selection of meat has shrunk.  Last two trips to restock the pantry, they only had prime grade.

Not something I normally make a habit getting as the rest of the Connors' household isn't as discerning, but you better believe I came away with a few trays of strips and ribeyes and despite shelling out more than usual, it was worth every penny.

Users who are viewing this thread