What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lost my job today :( (1 Viewer)

rick6668

Footballguy
I don't post a lot, but been reading the forums for a long time.

25 years at this company, found out this morning I am done :(

I know a lot of you guys switch jobs often, but I liked what I was doing and enjoyed the people I was working with. 15% were let go.

Having a hard time today, been working since I was 12, now mid 40's and never lost a job before.

I'm a Business/Systems Analyst, so hopefully I can find something soon.

Ouch, sorry to hear. Hopefully with 25yrs, they are going to take very good care of your transition.

As a fellow BSA, I can tell you there's a lot of jobs out there from what I've seen. A boatload of contract work as well.

That blows. I don't know much about the private sector but business/systems analyst sounds like something "marketable" or whatever, no?

Good luck.

Sorry to hear. Good luck on the job hunt. Hope you get a nice severance package. A job I lost a couple jobs ago gave me a good chunk of change and I was able to have a decent break from working for the first time in my adult working life. Took about 3 months off and did absolutely nothing before starting to look for a job again. So make sure to look for the silver linings in a bad situation.

Sorry to hear.

What is your industry and location? You never know what or who people know around here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some friendly advice:

Linkedin - If you don't have a profile, start one... If you do have a profile, use the search query for things like "business analyst recruiter". A ton of recruiters use that site, so you should try to find as many as them as possible and connect with them.

Indeed.com - They aggregate basically every job posting on the innerwebs - If there is a position available, it will be listed there.

The job market is strong right now and since you have good consistent experience, you should do just fine. A few deep breaths and realize this is just a hurdle on the track.

Good luck!

Thanks for the kind words so far everyone.

Yes, I get a decent severance package (I think)

I will have about a week's worth of job transition to do, after that I won't need to work, but will still be getting paid as an employee until Jan 31.

I will then get my saved vacation and vacation from next year (9 weeks total) paid. I also get 25 weeks pay in severance and the amount in my cash balance retirement account (about 50K).

I also get 6 months of outplacement services with lhh.

I will have about a week's worth of job transition to do, after that I won't need to work, but will still be getting paid as an employee until Jan 31.

I will then get my saved vacation and vacation from next year (9 weeks total) paid. I also get 25 weeks pay in severance and the amount in my cash balance retirement account (about 50K).

Sounds like this will bridge you into retirement. Congrats.

damn bro, id be partying if i were you right now.

That's a killer package.

Yeah, I'm sure this will look better in the coming weeks/months. I'm not one to switch from job to job that often as you can see.

What I'll really miss is the 5 weeks of vacation I was getting. Not sure what I can get to start somewhere else.

Good luck and keep our head up.

Where are you located? Have you looked at the other opportunities yet? Why was the company letting so many go?

Honestly, if you have been there 25 years, there's a good chance you are/were very underpaid. This job change might turn out to be a great thing.

Wow, nice package

Seriously, sorry to hear, but glad they did you right as far as the severance. GL finding something soon. :thumbup:

Some friendly advice:

Linkedin - If you don't have a profile, start one... If you do have a profile, use the search query for things like "business analyst recruiter". A ton of recruiters use that site, so you should try to find as many as them as possible and connect with them.

Indeed.com - They aggregate basically every job posting on the innerwebs - If there is a position available, it will be listed there.

The job market is strong right now and since you have good consistent experience, you should do just fine. A few deep breaths and realize this is just a hurdle on the track.

Good luck!
I second the Linkedin advice. Be sure to join the FBG group that's out there.

You're going to land on your feet... who knows what the next job may hold, but it doesn't appear like you're going to be in dire straits at all... maybe you'll have some challenges in making the transition and all, but you have lots of time to make lemonade with this batch of lemons. good luck and best wishes for the future.

It sucks to lose your job but that is a very nice severance package. Good luck to you. At least you can take your time and decide what it right instead of having to take anything.

My friend was with Johnson Controls and was just let go last month in a big cut back. They gave him 2 weeks pay and whatever vacation time he had coming..that is all. All medical stopped in two weeks as well.

Sorry to hear about this. I know it's probably hard to "look on the bright side," but seriously be glad this happened now and not in 2009. You have a good chance to make this work out, maybe for the better.

Where are you located? Have you looked at the other opportunities yet? Why was the company letting so many go?

Honestly, if you have been there 25 years, there's a good chance you are/were very underpaid. This job change might turn out to be a great thing.
Have not looked at anything yet. Should have been looking for years. I'm in Rochester, NY. Not the hotbed it once was. I will move if needed, but all my family and my wife's parents live here, so it would be really hard to leave. Especially for my kids (14,11,and 6).

I'm in good financial shape, no debt other than my house which will be paid off in 3 years.

Have not looked at anything yet. Should have been looking for years. I'm in Rochester, NY. Not the hotbed it once was. I will move if needed, but all my family and my wife's parents live here, so it would be really hard to leave. Especially for my kids (14,11,and 6).

I'm in good financial shape, no debt other than my house which will be paid off in 3 years.
Well, as others have said, this could turn out to be a good thing. Take a little "me" time, relax a little, and then find something different. Heck, you might find out that you like a new job even better.

Yeah, my wife has been a SAHM for 12 years and started working part time last year. So as the provider for my family it's hitting me hard to not have a job.

Thanks again for the kind words, you're all making me feel a little better.

Good package. This type of industry is lousy with contract work, try to find some recruiting firms in that vein.

Sorry to hear. Don't sell buffalo/syracuse short. You can work in both those places out of Rochester. I left Rochester 7 years ago for Buffalo but it was easy for me because I didn't have family/kids.

Sorry to hear. Don't sell buffalo/syracuse short. You can work in both those places out of Rochester. I left Rochester 7 years ago for Buffalo but it was easy for me because I didn't have family/kids.
Yes, I could see that working out. Thanks.

Damn!

With that package I would hang around the yoga pants thread til Jan 24th and then start looking for a job.

:lmao: that's pretty much exactly what I thought when I read his post.

still sucks though especially since you liked where you were. best of luck.

Sorry about the job loss. This could have been a lot worse, but no job is still no job.

Don't get too discouraged if you don't get nibbles right away in the job hunt. November and December tend to be difficult months for companies to get hiring done, with holidays and year-end stuff and whatnot. Things will open up in January. Lots of good networking advice here already.

The good news here is you have marketable skills and a track record as a reliable, loyal employee. You're going to win some tiebreakers at hiring time with companies that care about whether their new hire will stay with the company for a while. That will make it easier for you to find something worth taking, a good fit for you and your family.

ETA: talk to the kids about the possibility of moving. Even if they hate the idea, you warned them about it ahead of time.

ETA2: try to get some exercise during your time off. Exercise will help you keep a positive attitude and help you feel like you accomplished something with your day if you finish it without a new job.

wow, that is a great package....How much longer are you planning to work? I have not hit the open market in a while so i am of no help with job hunting suggestions. I do know that you have time to find the perfect fit without missing a step. As other's have said look at this as an opportunity/stepping stone.

Yeah, I'm sure this will look better in the coming weeks/months. I'm not one to switch from job to job that often as you can see.

What I'll really miss is the 5 weeks of vacation I was getting. Not sure what I can get to start somewhere else.
I get four weeks per year (Large Bank - i think AVP and above) plus an embarrassing amount of holiday's off.

Always sucks to lose something you liked. But it sounds like you are going to be in pretty good shape for a while and there are actually jobs out there. 2009-2010 was absolutely no fun. So best of luck and I hope you find something you really enjoy doing.

With the package you received, you have a great opportunity to take some classes/courses/workshops that either interest you or would look good on a resume.

I'm sorry to hear it, and I'm glad you're already feeling a little better.

You have a lot of good things going for you, good severance package and no debt are huge.

Almost everyone I've ever known that has been laid off has ultimately found something they were happier doing - seems counter intuitive, but it's been true.

Good luck - with the time your severance will allow to reassess and strategize, I'll bet you find something better as well.

I don't post a lot, but been reading the forums for a long time.

25 years at this company, found out this morning I am done :(

I know a lot of you guys switch jobs often, but I liked what I was doing and enjoyed the people I was working with. 15% were let go.

Having a hard time today, been working since I was 12, now mid 40's and never lost a job before.

I'm a Business/Systems Analyst, so hopefully I can find something soon.
Hang in there. The good news is that there always seems to be work for business analysts. I've been laid off twice and each time I ended up getting a job that paid more and allowed me to grow.

What area do you live in?

With the package you received, you have a great opportunity to take some classes/courses/workshops that either interest you or would look good on a resume.
dont listen to this guy. youve worked hard for decades doing the same thing everyday. this is your opportunity to spend most of your time drinking some liquor and banging your wife a lot before finding another job.

dont listen to this guy. youve worked hard for decades doing the same thing everyday. this is your opportunity to spend most of your time drinking some liquor and banging your wife a lot before finding another job.
:lol: What was I thinking? Hookers and blow is the way to go!

Users who are viewing this thread