What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Linklater to Shoot Movie Over 20 Years (1 Viewer)

whoknew

Footballguy
What Will the World Look Like in 2039?*

On Thursday, Collider broke the news that Richard Linklater would begin production on what appears to be his most ambitious project yet: an adaptation of the Stephen Sondheim musical Merrily We Roll Along, which takes place over the course of twenty years. The hook? Linklater, along with stars Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein, will shoot the project over the course of the next two decades, so the characters will age in real time.

Of course, the idea that we’ll actually be able to watch the film is an optimistic one. A lot can happen between now and 2039! Linklater, who celebrated his 59th birthday last month, will be older than Bernie Sanders is right now. Climate change could come for us all—or, in a world where the only films that seem to make money anymore are Marvel movies and remakes of old Disney properties (the six highest-grossing movies of 2019 all fit this description!), it’s risky to assume that there’ll even be an audience for a Sondheim musical at the multiplex/streaming service/brain-implant-by-which-we-consume-media come 2039.

---

*I LOVE Texas Monthly. Such a great magazine.

You definitely keyed in on the important part of the article.
You want to know honestly why? Because that comment is so out of place given what the article is talking about that it stands out as egregiously silly. It's not a political lament -- I am more than willing to accept complete consensus in anthropogenic climate change to some degree -- it's a question of its placement and inclusion in the article. 

Not a real beef, it just stood out. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You want to know honestly why? Because that comment is so out of place given what the article is talking about that it stands out as egregiously silly. It's not a political lament -- I am more than willing to accept complete consensus in anthropogenic climate change to some degree, it's a question of its placement in the article. 

Fair enough.

What do you think about shooting a movie over 20 years? Seems pretty crazy. Obviously Linklater has experience in this area. I'm glad its not something I'm dying to see. I may be dead in 20 years.

What do you think about shooting a movie over 20 years? Seems pretty crazy. Obviously Linklater has experience in this area. I'm glad its not something I'm dying to see. I may be dead in 20 years.
I think it probably falls under how impressed one is by realism and method as a component of the art of cinema. I think it would be interesting to see the characters age. One quick logistical question: Will they agree not to get plastic surgery for the duration of the filming? That would seem to make it more enticing. 

I think it probably falls under how impressed one is by realism and method as a component of the art of cinema. I think it would be interesting to see the characters age. One quick logistical question: Will they agree not to get plastic surgery for the duration of the filming? That would seem to make it more enticing. 

I looked up the article on Collider and didn't see anything about the logistics of the project. I reckon we may not hear anything about it again for  ... a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread