What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's see if black eyes are common (1 Viewer)

If you have had a black eye, how did you get it:

• During a fight

Votes: 31 19.9%
  • Other than a fight - sports, car accident, fall, etc.

Votes: 75 48.1%
  • I have never had a black eye

Votes: 50 32.1%

• Total voters
I've broken my nose twice while playing soccer (elbow to nose, forehead to nose) and had bilateral shiners both times.

I've been in one fight in my life (5th grade) in which punches were thrown.  Nothing really landed for either of us--no black eye.

Three broken-nose black eyes from sport, one broken-nose blackeye from fight, couple more fighting blackeyes, one more from auto accident and three black eyes from my floppy 6ft wife whapping me in the face turning in her sleep (so she said). My elbows doled out several shiners playing basketball, my fists have rendered almost a dozen others unconscious, and perhaps a dozen more have fallen so to baseball bats & security-guard flashlights in my roles defending women and working the door at a detox center (tribal police would bring drunks in without, for cultural reasons, patting them down). I'm Irish, whaddya want?! I have never hit a woman - tho i have lifted a few off the floor by their collars.

Let me explain the 'defending women' part. When i was in my twenties, showbiz's good fortunes allowed me to lease a 3-story,13-room sea captain's house in my hometown N of Boston. Kept one floor for myself, the other two were dedicated to housing and giving practice/party space to local musicians. Denmother of the facility was a retired call girl named CC, who had estimable talents for keeping everyone happy & not taking any any ####, so she lived on my floor for free. She had the same lack of patience for tag-teaming or turning-out that i did (tho one gal gave nine of us the clap over the course of a single wkend, she did it individually), and we only had one incident of real violence toward women, which i punished with my trusty junior baseball bat, caving the offender and convincing the band to drag him off and never return by tapping another.

CC was impressed by the nonchalance with which i dispatched them (i'd had a bodyguard when i was on tour cuz there was lots of drugs involved & i'd learned a lot about crowd control from him) and decided to give me a present. One of her best friends was one of the most beautiful women on the North Shore, but had spent several weekends a year hiding from her drunken abusive husband with CC. Now that CC was at my place, this gal took refuge there and i'm pretty sure CC engineered a situation where i could be this gal's hero AND teach hubby a lesson. He ended up seeking treatment to win his wife back, so i think everybody got sumn out of it. Before long, a lot of girls w shiners were helping around the house, but i neither objected to what CC was doing nor got THAT involved again .But i can tell an abuse bruise by the look of it now and helping abused gals feel safe became kind of a thing.

My li'l bat travelled to the commune in NM where i next lived and down to 'Burque, where i had a number of female roommates. Bat got used several times in each sitch. Men are jackholes and i hope we're close to the end of women putting up with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seriously just got one the other week getting sick from medication. Burst blood vessels and had a nice shiner under my eye. They happen for a variety of reasons.  

I seriously just got one the other week getting sick from medication. Burst blood vessels and had a nice shiner under my eye. They happen for a variety of reasons.  
The last horriffic hangover I had, I puked until i dry heaved and then I dry heaved until I burst just about everything in my head.   I had two black eyes.   I looked like I got hit in the face with a frying pan.  

I can remember 4 black eyes --

The puking one mentioned above

one from my Dog

a couple different ones from sparring

Two. Both from elbows playing hoops. One broke my nose and blackened both eyes. The other came with a gash under my eye that needed stitching. 

Need a both option - little brother hit me accidently had a huge shiner.  Took a baseball in the face which resulted in a shattered nose and two blacks eyes for weeks.  Few fights.

I've had three.  Two in fights, one in basketball.  I also dished out about 5 black eyes as a kid, all in fights, all by the age of 12  (white kid growing up in Anacostia...ya gotta stand up for yourself).  Once I got out of there 30+ years ago, never been in a fight since.  Never even seen a black eye.

Elbow to the nose playing basketball. Broken nose, dual shiners.

p.s.a. Having a broken nose popped back out from the inside using what essentially amounts to needle nose pliers is not fun.

Never got a black eye from puking. Burst a blood vessel in my eye, though. So the white was red for a couple of weeks. 
I got two black eyes after puking my guts out from motion sickness.  Spent an entire Saturday in bed with what felt like a hangover.

I've also had a couple of shiners from basketball.

Never been in a fight in my life.

This, let's see if I can get the order right.... baseball, soccer, car accident, fight, hockey, nose surgery.  I think that is right.  
I did have a "skin tag" removed from right under my eye. She said I would get a black eye from that. Didn't happen though.

The only one I remember getting was from sledding.  Was going down a pretty decent sledding hill, big, steep, had some jumps.  This particular day was high traffic, so the snow was packed hard and essentially mostly ice.  Had some good speed going over a jump, and like a cartoon, the sled shot way out from under me and I flipped over and landed smack on my face.  Face was pretty mangled, and had two black eyes, swollen lips, bloody nose.

Last time I went sledding, FYI.

A few from construction accidents. One from a fight but I only remember him hitting me and then people dragging me off his ###. Years ago. 

One black eye, IIRC. Was from a drunken back alley fight. Guy caught me offguard and reaction times were sub-optimal. Turned into one of the most entertaining fights I've ever been in.

We ended up shaking hands and apologizing as his friends loaded him up into the back seat to take him to the hospital for stitches and to look at his knee. I hit the nearest Circle K to assess the damage and clean up.. apparently I had his blood all over my face and in my hair as the counter worker pointed to the bathroom with this face  :shock:

Shockingly never had a black eye from sports or otherwise, despite playing lacrosse and baseball for years, and generally treating my body like a rental in all other facets of my life. Also only broke two bones.  One in my hand (also a fight), and once a rib or three via a mountain biking wreck. 

I've been lucky. 

I aslo included in the sports ones when we were doing dumb #### and somehow one of us took a inadvertent ball to the face.

Two black eyes two years in a row little league baseball, left eye both times.  I have no evidence but immediately after the second one until now I've had to wear eyeglasses.  Not a boo hoo (poor me) moment, just an observation.  I'll be honest, it sounds goofy now, but I was pretty proud of my black eyes back then.  Even though the reality of it is, is that it simply means I was too damned slow to react to a baseball headed straight for my melon! ;)

Two black eyes two years in a row little league baseball, left eye both times.  I have no evidence but immediately after the second one until now I've had to wear eyeglasses.  Not a boo hoo (poor me) moment, just an observation.  I'll be honest, it sounds goofy now, but I was pretty proud of my black eyes back then.  Even though the reality of it is, is that it simply means I was too damned slow to react to a baseball headed straight for my melon! ;)
I took a line drive to the face.  I need to find the pic of my eye swollen shut.

Users who are viewing this thread