What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lessons Learned This Year (1 Viewer)

There are football players and there are actors, and when a football player becomes an actor, he is no longer a football player.
You must have made a comment along these lines at least a half dozen times in the Arian Foster thread and, to my knowledge, never once backed it up.

I still don't understand what your beef is with the guy; he put up 4.5 yards per carry and 8.3 yards per catch this year, and performed better than his highly touted backup.

Finally, pounce early on injured players that are expected to return. Guys like Andre Brown, Shane Vereen, and maybe Percy Harvin and Michael Crabtree could prove to be quality starters when your team needs them most.
How did you learn this lesson this year? Since none of these guys have proven to be worth it so far, the evidence you use for what you "learned" is specious at best.
I can predict the future. Too bad you don't have that skill.
It's true I'm still working on my future prediction skills. Let me try one: I predict that you'll learn english one day.

There are football players and there are actors, and when a football player becomes an actor, he is no longer a football player.
You must have made a comment along these lines at least a half dozen times in the Arian Foster thread and, to my knowledge, never once backed it up.

I still don't understand what your beef is with the guy; he put up 4.5 yards per carry and 8.3 yards per catch this year, and performed better than his highly touted backup.
I backed it up just fine. You are a true believer. No evidence will change your mind. Aryian Foster is your religion, and I accept that.

I backed it up just fine. You are a true believer. No evidence will change your mind. Aryian Foster is your religion, and I accept that.
Nope you didn't.

Same shtick, different thread.

Nope you didn't.

Same shtick, different thread.
Yeah, I did. The truth is painful for some people, it's OK. I'll give you an e-hug if you want. Let's not clutter this thread up with whatever argument you want to make here.

The most fun I ever had was a team I took a game below .500 in week 9 to the title.

THe most anguished I have ever had was an undefeated team that got bounced after sitting out a bye week (THe year the COlts were undefeated and then played their players a half the next week..I was invested in Colts).

THat experience is completely backwards. I should have been completly giddy each week as I was 7-0, 11-0 and crusiing to a most points title, etc. I can't remember the fun at all. All I remember is the self-imposed pressure/psychosis of staying on top and not blowing it in the playoffs, which is what happened because of the crapshoot that is fantasy playoffs and the COlts decision to not play.

The other team should have been a Rolaids roller-coaster. After week 9 I was faced to either blow the team up. I tried. Nobody would take my best two players, Witten and Roddy (dynasty). I had to win every game without a loss to get in and that is what happened and I cruised to the title when Witten and Roddy got hot.

That experience taught me the lesson that I think I am finally ready to execute a few years later, now. But even with this, it took a few years to come around to it.

It's a hobby that takes a tremendous amount of time and dedication if you want to be consistently good at it...it takes away from productivity at work, takes away time you could be spending with your family, makes you a slave to your tv on Sundays, Thursdays, and Mondays, and takes you on a totally unnecessary emotional roller coaster.

It's basically another form of addictive gambling.

I'm pretty sure I'm done with it after this year.
Can't say I'm done with it just yet. I guess that's what addicted means. In real life, I used to be hyper-competitive. Not so much anymore, but the FF hobby channels that need to compete and win. And for what exactly? A few hundred bucks against mostly a bunch of guys who couldn't pick me out of a lineup? And for that challenge to win ultimate fantasy glory, I get to tell my wife I don't feel like heading out on Sunday afternoons. Or if we do go out, I'm checking the phone every 30 minutes. It's a disease. Honestly, I'm pretty happy about the FF season winding down, even though I'm contending in all my leagues. Then I can go back to watching football the old fashioned way during the real playoffs, and not worried about any of this silly stat checking nonsense. I read a post in another thread about the FF hobby having a shelf-life and I definitely agree.

Get a top 3 QB, WR and TE (picks 1, 2, & 3)

RBs are easier to find later on in the draft or Waiver Wire

go with your gut.

i had josh gordon in all week.

got scaried by the weather and put in mike brown figuring they would be getting blown out anyway and he'd get some garbage time action.

woof

Doesn't matter what RB I draft in round 1...they end up sucking that year. Unless, I have the #1 pick, will be drafting someone other than a RB next year in round 1.

The most fun I ever had was a team I took a game below .500 in week 9 to the title.

THe most anguished I have ever had was an undefeated team that got bounced after sitting out a bye week (THe year the COlts were undefeated and then played their players a half the next week..I was invested in Colts).

THat experience is completely backwards. I should have been completly giddy each week as I was 7-0, 11-0 and crusiing to a most points title, etc. I can't remember the fun at all. All I remember is the self-imposed pressure/psychosis of staying on top and not blowing it in the playoffs, which is what happened because of the crapshoot that is fantasy playoffs and the COlts decision to not play.

The other team should have been a Rolaids roller-coaster. After week 9 I was faced to either blow the team up. I tried. Nobody would take my best two players, Witten and Roddy (dynasty). I had to win every game without a loss to get in and that is what happened and I cruised to the title when Witten and Roddy got hot.

That experience taught me the lesson that I think I am finally ready to execute a few years later, now. But even with this, it took a few years to come around to it.
One of my leagues, I started out 5-0, most points scored. Riding high. Then it crapped the bed and dropped 5 in a row. I should win this week and go to 6-5 and get back in the hunt for a playoff spot. Somehow that team is funner to manage than my other 10-1 and 8-3 teams. If I win that 6-5 league, it'll feel like I won with house money.

I used to be gawd awful at this hobby, but turned onto this place and have won 6 out of 7 league championships over the last 3 yrs. The expectations to win can be a burden. And nobody other myself even gives a ####, so why do I break out the rolaids every Sunday?

go with your gut.

i had josh gordon in all week.

got scaried by the weather and put in mike brown figuring they would be getting blown out anyway and he'd get some garbage time action.

woof
I think this is the most important thing in FF. I used to overanalyze to the max for years and switch out players at the last minute for some minor BS. THen it would always bite me in the ###. Now, I just check injury reports, and go with who I think will put up the most points.

It's a hobby that takes a tremendous amount of time and dedication if you want to be consistently good at it...it takes away from productivity at work, takes away time you could be spending with your family, makes you a slave to your tv on Sundays, Thursdays, and Mondays, and takes you on a totally unnecessary emotional roller coaster.

Can't say I'm done with it just yet. I guess that's what addicted means. In real life, I used to be hyper-competitive. Not so much anymore, but the FF hobby channels that need to compete and win. And for what exactly? A few hundred bucks against mostly a bunch of guys who couldn't pick me out of a lineup? And for that challenge to win ultimate fantasy glory, I get to tell my wife I don't feel like heading out on Sunday afternoons. Or if we do go out, I'm checking the phone every 30 minutes. It's a disease. Honestly, I'm pretty happy about the FF season winding down, even though I'm contending in all my leagues. Then I can go back to watching football the old fashioned way during the real playoffs, and not worried about any of this silly stat checking nonsense. I read a post in another thread about the FF hobby having a shelf-life and I definitely agree.
YOu must be close but not quite to the precipice yet because, in my worst days, I have found myself not just checking every 30 minutes while out. Instead, I am making sure I am sitting in the restaurant to where I can see the TV if there is a game on, am asking the hostess about wifi instead of wasabi, and basically have the phone sitting up on the table during the whole time I am actually tlaking to the people I am out "socializing" with.

And then, during the real playoffs, after the fantasy season is over, I am watching real playoff games and finding myself half-tuned in becuase I have no juice in the Ravens vs. Broncos (as if I should NEED anything to get me excited in that game if I am calling myself a football fan) and my most vested interest comes when I see a guy like Demarius Thomas take a bad hit and limp off the field. Not because I want the Broncos to win/lose but because he is on one of my dyno teams and I hope he didn't just tear an ACL...cause Lord knows if that just happened, I now have to get busy finding out how to pick up an extra rookie draft pick so I can get a replacement...6 months from now.

I learned what I have known for years: fantasy football is an evil hobby. It's a total, complete crapshoot to win championships. You can have an amazing team most of the season and then a few key injuries can wreck you. Or players that were absolute studs suddenly go quiet (I'm looking at you Cameron).

And I'm not even doing that poorly this year so this isn't coming from a bitter place. In my big money league I have most total points, a great team, and I'm a virtual lock to make the playoffs.

I'm just talking from an objective point of view.
I made the decision to step away after this year as well. My teams have actually been as successful this year as they ever have, but ultimately this is a hobby that I simply can't participate in without it negatively affecting many other more important parts of my life.

I know many people who can spend a fair amount of time and money on FFB and not watch the games, not suffer losses in productivity, not become overly affected from an emotional standpoint....but for too many years I've ignored the fact that I'm not that guy. I know this thread was probably only intended to discuss strategy but I do think it's helpful for us to consider our involvement in this hobby from time to time. Ultimately it's your life though...gotta do what you believe is best for you.
I'm exactly the same way. I take losses hard. I get pissed lol. I check stats all day long every few minutes on Sundays. I watch as much of the games as I can and I stress when I'm not able to. I get lazy on Sundays. I go through an emotional roller coaster. I obsess. I am also not a guy that can play this hobby without becoming that way. And while I recognized this last year after 12+ years of playing ff, this year really solidified it for me. Too much time wasted on what really amounts to a hobby that is mostly guided by luck and not skill.
Man, it is like you are in my head (or I am living your "double" life). I have had the exact same thoughts this year, more than ever and have the same situation. I have playoff bound teams. I have one team that has dominated for a handful of years and looks like it won't slow down anytime soon. I win money every year. I have bragging rights....And I'm miserable. A win is monkey off my back and a 48 hour relief from the nagging symptoms until the next games on Thursday. A loss is a day and a half of "how did that happen?" and "I shoulda done this...I should have known better than to do that...".

THis "hobby" does all the negative things you said and, like you said, is, on its best days, nothing more than a random crapshoot disguised as something you think you actually have influence into determining an outcome with.

I don't know if it is because I have played a long time, or the rules have changed, or if its because the games are on more days/evenings than they used to (probably a combo of all this), but I feel the grind more than ever now.
Weekly Thursday games have definitely added to the grind; there's no "time off." Weeks end Monday, waivers run Wednesday, game the next day. I get annoyed if things go poorly on Sunday, but I don't play for much money, so it's ultimately just about how much fun I'm having for how much time I'm putting in. If I had 4 figures riding on fantasy, I'd probably have crazy high blood pressure and quit years ago.

One of my leagues, I started out 5-0, most points scored. Riding high. Then it crapped the bed and dropped 5 in a row. I should win this week and go to 6-5 and get back in the hunt for a playoff spot. Somehow that team is funner to manage than my other 10-1 and 8-3 teams. If I win that 6-5 league, it'll feel like I won with house money.

I used to be gawd awful at this hobby, but turned onto this place and have won 6 out of 7 league championships over the last 3 yrs. The expectations to win can be a burden. And nobody other myself even gives a ####, so why do I break out the rolaids every Sunday?
LOL. exactly. You are sitting here in your own mind with some self-ordered burden of achieving something that you have almost no control in and somehow you think it correlates, like, ya know, the real-life guys out there trying to win games. BUt it doesn't and it couldn't be farther from the truth. I have carried bad beats with me longer than the real-life coaches getting on the podium after a bad loss. They have real jobs and serious $$ on the line. I have a Tuesday conversation with a coworker where I get to rub it in at stake. How does this affect me more than them?

I think you have to consider the seperation at TE once again. I mean from a vbd standpoint you'd have to think Jimmy Graham and Calvin are more valuable than just about anyone. Fantasy dogma dictates otherwise. Maybe it's time to throw the vbd out the window and just look for mismatches. Nobody can cover these guys.
??

I had Calvin at 4 and Graham at 7 in my pre-draft VBD rankings.

But I agree with the mismatch comment overall.

Also, don't be afraid to draft suspended players. Guys like Josh Gordon and Justin Blackmon are a nice boost to your team when they are activated. Yes, I realize Blackmon was re-suspended, but for those few weeks that he played, he was a quality WR for the draft pick cost.

Finally, pounce early on injured players that are expected to return. Guys like Andre Brown, Shane Vereen, and maybe Percy Harvin and Michael Crabtree could prove to be quality starters when your team needs them most.
These are good in concert. Especially in light of other comments about the continuing matchup issues. A guy who can be a starter for 10-12 games can be as valuable over the course of the season as a guy who is in more of a time-share or a team's WR2, but starts every game.

I've learned that even though I don't necessarily need to make a trade that I should go for the knock out punch. I was offered Matt Forte when I already had Le'Veon Bell and Knowshon Moreno in a PPR league and it was a pretty fair trade but I would've had to get rid of Bell and also Keenan Allen (I'd get James Jones back) but I would've still had great WRs and now two studs RBs to take in for the championship. For whatever reason I turned it down, just had a gut feeling that Bell and Allen would take me to the Championship, were younger, and had a longer chance of being studly. The owner ended up trading him to my rival whose team looks stronger right now. I might still pull this out but now I am not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
- be more aggressive in trying to trade good depth away for studs at the correct time. Having a hard time wading through my troupe of five WRs that are all ranked 6-15ish, without leaving points in the bench every week.

- if you have a couple of high floor low ceiling types, then don't go matchup based. Trust the rest of your team and keep boom bust types in through the low times so that you catch the explosions. I've missed out on some big Gio, Gordon and V Jax scores this season whilst catching some of their duds.

- considering not drafting a defence or kicker at all and just keep stocking up on well researched RBs, WRs, QBs etc. then spend a few days assessing what you've got before dropping two of them for a D and a kicker. Projections in these two areas are less of a fine art with a lot of the top options becoming apparent a couple of weeks in. This year I drafted Ravens and Tucker late on yet Panthers and Crosby ended up being my two main starters, both came from WW.

The NFL is now a passing game - stop pretending it isn't or that there will be a return to normalcy a la the running game. So rather than chase after tow stud RBS and a stud QB before worrying about WRs - it is time to start making sure you have at leats one stud WR in your stable. Chasing wr value just doesn't work out in-season. Far more likley to uncover a rb gem than it is a wr gem.

I just try to not let wins or losses ruin my day/weekend/week. I only play one league but it's a decent money league. I won the superbowl once two years ago and that was like getting a monkey off of my back. Now I can just enjoy the hobby and let the cards fall where they may. Once I actually recognized how badly it was affecting my moods I decided to "lighten up Francis..."

Also I don't play playoff leagues at all. Once the fantasy season is over I try to just enjoy regular football through the playoffs and superbowl.

Mr. Know-It-All said:
The NFL is now a passing game - stop pretending it isn't or that there will be a return to normalcy a la the running game. So rather than chase after tow stud RBS and a stud QB before worrying about WRs - it is time to start making sure you have at leats one stud WR in your stable. Chasing wr value just doesn't work out in-season. Far more likley to uncover a rb gem than it is a wr gem.
This is true.

I see this year a handful of teams that have Calvin/D. Thomas or AJ/Dez or something like that. These teams have mediocre Qbs. THey might even have no running game to speak of but you can't beat /'em. The trend of having a small group of WRs that are catching 8-10 balls, get good yardage, and are a legit threat to have 1+ Tds a game are blowing by all these teams playing in a league where everyone has comparable QBs (sans Manning) or elite Rbs that only put up what we think of as elite points about once every three weeks.

Any team I can think of in any league this year that has a Calvin/Graham combo is double stealing. I have seen this combo in several places and all those teams are not losing much.

Shutout said:
I learned what I have known for years: fantasy football is an evil hobby. It's a total, complete crapshoot to win championships. You can have an amazing team most of the season and then a few key injuries can wreck you. Or players that were absolute studs suddenly go quiet (I'm looking at you Cameron).

And I'm not even doing that poorly this year so this isn't coming from a bitter place. In my big money league I have most total points, a great team, and I'm a virtual lock to make the playoffs.

I made the decision to step away after this year as well. My teams have actually been as successful this year as they ever have, but ultimately this is a hobby that I simply can't participate in without it negatively affecting many other more important parts of my life.

I know many people who can spend a fair amount of time and money on FFB and not watch the games, not suffer losses in productivity, not become overly affected from an emotional standpoint....but for too many years I've ignored the fact that I'm not that guy. I know this thread was probably only intended to discuss strategy but I do think it's helpful for us to consider our involvement in this hobby from time to time. Ultimately it's your life though...gotta do what you believe is best for you.
I'm exactly the same way. I take losses hard. I get pissed lol. I check stats all day long every few minutes on Sundays. I watch as much of the games as I can and I stress when I'm not able to. I get lazy on Sundays. I go through an emotional roller coaster. I obsess. I am also not a guy that can play this hobby without becoming that way. And while I recognized this last year after 12+ years of playing ff, this year really solidified it for me. Too much time wasted on what really amounts to a hobby that is mostly guided by luck and not skill.
Man, it is like you are in my head (or I am living your "double" life). I have had the exact same thoughts this year, more than ever and have the same situation. I have playoff bound teams. I have one team that has dominated for a handful of years and looks like it won't slow down anytime soon. I win money every year. I have bragging rights.

...And I'm miserable. A win is monkey off my back and a 48 hour relief from the nagging symptoms until the next games on Thursday. A loss is a day and a half of "how did that happen?" and "I shoulda done this...I should have known better than to do that...".

THis "hobby" does all the negative things you said and, like you said, is, on its best days, nothing more than a random crapshoot disguised as something you think you actually have influence into determining an outcome with.

I don't know if it is because I have played a long time, or the rules have changed, or if its because the games are on more days/evenings than they used to (probably a combo of all this), but I feel the grind more than ever now.
You guys might find it harder to walk away from this stuff than just quitting FF. It depends on how bad your addiction is.

I played fantasy sports for 7-9 years. Which I'd guess is about when most people start thinking about walking away. I've been off of fantasy sports entirely for a few years now. I'm still a pretty bad stat junkie. Killing FF definitely helped but I still find myself drawn to box scores, pointless stats and trying to keep up with breaking news. It's still a mega time drain for me. I guess what I need to do is start blocking sites because I don't have the self-control yet to stay away myself.

I've come to realize extreme sports fandome is a pretty terrible pastime/hobby. And I regret most of the time I've put into it. You don't really get anything more out of it than the casual fan and it sends you on that emotional roller coaster for no reason. I think I'd rather have a video game addiction.

It can be hard to get away from even when you realize how pointless it all is. If you've made the decision to walk away, I'd suggest trying to start weaning yourself off of it now, rather than waiting for the end of the season.

I played fantasy sports for 7-9 years. Which I'd guess is about when most people start thinking about walking away. I've been off of fantasy sports entirely for a few years now. I'm still a pretty bad stat junkie. Killing FF definitely helped but I still find myself drawn to box scores, pointless stats and trying to keep up with breaking news. It's still a mega time drain for me. I guess what I need to do is start blocking sites because I don't have the self-control yet to stay away myself.

I've come to realize extreme sports fandome is a pretty terrible pastime/hobby. And I regret most of the time I've put into it. You don't really get anything more out of it than the casual fan and it sends you on that emotional roller coaster for no reason. I think I'd rather have a video game addiction.

It can be hard to get away from even when you realize how pointless it all is. If you've made the decision to walk away, I'd suggest trying to start weaning yourself off of it now, rather than waiting for the end of the season.
Let me get this straight: you already quit FF but you still come to this site? Wow man....your issues are deep dude.

Let me get this straight: you already quit FF but you still come to this site? Wow man....your issues are deep dude.
I'm mostly on the FFA. But yeah, it's bad.

:goodposting: Couldn't agree more.

1. Don't chase rb in the middle of round 1. If you are lucky enough to land Charles, ADP, McCoy, or Forte, consider yourself fortunate. If you sit somewhere in the middle of round 1, take Calvin, Graham, Manning, or Brees. Avoid the temptation of taking a second tier Rb too high. The risk far outweighs the reward.

2. Read and research but follow your instincts. If you regularly watch NFL games, trust your implicit reaction. If a guy can play, he can usually put up fantasy numbers.

3. Unless you are really advanced and have the time and energy to follow all the week to week nuances, avoid streaming positions. It is usually not worth the effort.

4. Go for safety in the first few rounds. If you can come out of the first four rounds with one or two rbs, one qb, and one or two wr, your risk is lower than if you load up on any one position. A swing for the fences mentality is best applied after some anchor players have been obtained and will at least keep you in the mix, opening up trade options, as most teams in keeper/dynasty formats bail for next yearafterone third to one half of the season.

5. In shallow leagues that involve auctions, do not be afraid to spend 90% of your cap on starters, as 10 and 12 teamers have abundant waiver options.

You don't sound well Rick...

That people over-react year to year. So many people got burned on RB's this year so next year for sure there will be a bigger run on the other positions. RB's will be a value next year. And I don't know if I could win a league taking a Drew Brees with the first two picks. Those who do are better than I am. Some of the tenants hold true. Don't reach for a QB. I took Stafford in round 6 in a 6 point TD league (12 teams). Been very good. Went reliable with at least 1 RB in first 2 rounds (took Morris/AJ Green). Then, my #1 rule - take #1 WR's! I don't want inconsisent WR types. After Green I went Victor Cruz (wouldn't be inconsistent if Eli wasn't horrific) and Antonio Brown. 3 #1 wideouts. Would have been better if freakin' Blackmon wouldn't have pulled a Blackmon. Then I reached deep for lottery pick RB's with Knowshon, Andre Brown (had to cut him but it was a great pick) and Bryce Brown. Hit big on one of them to overcome McFadden. I dove in with FA and got J. Thomas and Cameron. So that's all the things I did well. Drafted great.

I haven't been quick to pick up on buzz players. Should have listened to you guys re Stacy but coudn't buy into the Rams running game. Mistake. Several other examples. Bottom line - this group really comes up with some very good hype players. I need to listen to them all. Some wil pay off big time.

I'm not so sure RB will become a value position next year. I think the paradigm has clearly shifted: in most formats, unless you get one of about 6 rbs: ADP, McCoy, Charles, Morris, and perhaps one or two others, you are essentially bypassing proven, elite players like Calvin, Graham, Brees, and Manning for guys who play in some form of committee. For me, I'll take the week to week consistently at the top of my draft and wait another round or two before I start reaching. No chance I take Foster, Rice, CJ Spiller, and Chris Johnson over a Brees, Rodgers, or Manning. Give me safety at the top and shoot for upside after my first 3 or 4 picks. This is a passing league now and unless you get a true bell cow at the top, I think the risk is too high.

[SIZE=medium]What lesson have I learned this year? Well fantasy football leagues and women parallel life in many ways. When you’re young you want to be in as many as you can. Good ones, bad ones….it’s all good![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] But the older ya get,you realize you need to find one good one and just stick with it[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]What lesson have I learned this year? Well fantasy football leagues and women parallel life in many ways. When you’re young you want to be in as many as you can. Good ones, bad ones….it’s all good![/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] But the older ya get,you realize you need to find one good one and just stick with it[/SIZE]
Good one. :thumbup:

Get a top 3 QB, WR and TE (picks 1, 2, & 3)

RBs are easier to find later on in the draft or Waiver Wire
This. if you don't get a stud RB, just let everyone else take the MJD's and Gore's and Rice's. We wasted picks on MJD in the 2nd rd. (14 teams) and Wilson in the 4th. Rd. We picked up Ivory, James and now Ogbonnya who are filling in nicely.

3 wide and let it fly is the way to go.

That people over-react year to year. So many people got burned on RB's this year so next year for sure there will be a bigger run on the other positions. RB's will be a value next year. And I don't know if I could win a league taking a Drew Brees with the first two picks. Those who do are better than I am. Some of the tenants hold true. Don't reach for a QB. I took Stafford in round 6 in a 6 point TD league (12 teams). Been very good. Went reliable with at least 1 RB in first 2 rounds (took Morris/AJ Green). Then, my #1 rule - take #1 WR's! I don't want inconsisent WR types. After Green I went Victor Cruz (wouldn't be inconsistent if Eli wasn't horrific) and Antonio Brown. 3 #1 wideouts. Would have been better if freakin' Blackmon wouldn't have pulled a Blackmon. Then I reached deep for lottery pick RB's with Knowshon, Andre Brown (had to cut him but it was a great pick) and Bryce Brown. Hit big on one of them to overcome McFadden. I dove in with FA and got J. Thomas and Cameron. So that's all the things I did well. Drafted great.

I haven't been quick to pick up on buzz players. Should have listened to you guys re Stacy but coudn't buy into the Rams running game. Mistake. Several other examples. Bottom line - this group really comes up with some very good hype players. I need to listen to them all. Some wil pay off big time.
you have a lot of ####### nerve

I'm in my prime.

Seriously, though, I started FF over a decade ago b/c gambling on games week to week was far more expensive than playing in a handful of leagues @ $50-$200 per. FF pays off much better, too. I feel for those of you that take it to heart and have to stat watch. That really does suck the life out of it. I used to do that but with two young boys at home there's no way I can anymore. I DVR games at this point most weeks and don't check scores for my teams until I've caught up to all the NFL games. It has made a world of difference in how much I can enjoy my Sunday/Monday/Thursday. So, I suppose the answer for those of you having trouble with the roller coaster and stat whoring is to go knock up some skirt? :lmao:

Taking the team that starts 0-3 and then 1-5 to .500 and trying to will that steaming pile into the playoffs to take advantage of the stellar match ups +/- improving play of their offense +/- savvy roster moves is all more exciting than the 9-2 team that just clinched a berth and is in countdown for the bye.

That FF football is a lot more luck-based than "experts" and those who are "good at it" want to realize. Oh wait, I learned that years ago...and am just reminded of it annually.

Don't get me wrong - this aint sour grapes. (I've won the title more times than anyone in my main dyno league, and only missed the playoffs twice in 10 years) - but I still realize that a large portion of it is luck - especially in a league with guys that are decent and at a time when good information is so prevalent.

It seems like there is a flavor of week RB all the time and its fairly easy to spot start these guys. Ill always try to draft bpa but I think you might be better off in some cases with a stud QB and a pair of stud WRs or even a TE.....fill out the back part of the draft with talented RBs who need a chance and watch the wire....im not saying dont get a RB if theres one you like but no need to go overboard on them early either...I had more trouble moving those guys this year and getting the same value I used to get for them s well

Man, it is like you are in my head (or I am living your "double" life). I have had the exact same thoughts this year, more than ever and have the same situation. I have playoff bound teams. I have one team that has dominated for a handful of years and looks like it won't slow down anytime soon. I win money every year. I have bragging rights.

...And I'm miserable. A win is monkey off my back and a 48 hour relief from the nagging symptoms until the next games on Thursday. A loss is a day and a half of "how did that happen?" and "I shoulda done this...I should have known better than to do that...".

You guys might find it harder to walk away from this stuff than just quitting FF. It depends on how bad your addiction is.

A word of advice - make it manageable. Do not be in more than 3 leagues - and if you are only 1-2 should have a decent buy in - and even then under $150. Even better if the number of leagues and buy ins are lower. The game is supposed to be fun - don't make it too serious by paying in more. I am in two leagues - a buy in of $125 and another is free.

Be in a league with people you like - work friends, college friends, family, etc - this is part of what drew you in in the first place. Avoid leagues that are just a bunch of guys looking to gamble. I am in a work league and in the free league I filled a spot for a league in need for a friend.

Do not pay for additional information. You can get everything you need on this message board. I do about 30- minutes a day on the message board.

Do not sit in front of the tv all day on Sunday - complete waste of time - especially if you are married and/or have kids.. I have been DVRing some games while I do other things and then watch a 3 hour game in under an hour. I watched an hour of HGTV last night with the wife and went back and watched the 3rd quarter of MNF in like 10 minutes.

never again will I have RB Chris Johnson

if I have a gut feeling about a player - GET HIM ( Zac Stacy )

stud RB's are the rarest thing in FF, horde them

A word of advice - make it manageable. Do not be in more than 3 leagues - and if you are only 1-2 should have a decent buy in - and even then under $150. Even better if the number of leagues and buy ins are lower. The game is supposed to be fun - don't make it too serious by paying in more. I am in two leagues - a buy in of $125 and another is free.

Be in a league with people you like - work friends, college friends, family, etc - this is part of what drew you in in the first place. Avoid leagues that are just a bunch of guys looking to gamble. I am in a work league and in the free league I filled a spot for a league in need for a friend.

Do not pay for additional information. You can get everything you need on this message board. I do about 30- minutes a day on the message board.

Do not sit in front of the tv all day on Sunday - complete waste of time - especially if you are married and/or have kids.. I have been DVRing some games while I do other things and then watch a 3 hour game in under an hour. I watched an hour of HGTV last night with the wife and went back and watched the 3rd quarter of MNF in like 10 minutes.

Don't trust mock drafts as a gauge of when a player is going to go off the board.

Mock drafts are useless and should just be considered fun rather than draft prep. Missed out on a few guys I really liked this year thinking they'd definitely be on the board a round or two later since they always were in all my mock drafts.

Users who are viewing this thread