What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LeRon McClain? (1 Viewer)

Is LeRon McClain worth a roster spot in a 12 team 20 deep bench PPR league?

• Yes

Votes: 40 59.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Who?

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

xrayveggin

Footballguy
John McClain's distant cousin is so far largely left out of the discussion in KC. In 2008 for an injury ridden Baltimore team he had 232 carries, 902 yards, and 10 TDs. One of his complaints about his time in Baltimore was that after proving himself to be a decent replacement (similar numbers to McGahee), he never got the chance to carry the ball any significant amount again. Jones is a year older and slower, McCluster is prototypical scatback. Does McClain have the upside for a waiver selection in a deep league?

LeRon would have had a better shot being chosen as his distant cousin's running mate for VEEP

in the last presidential election than he does making an impact as a ball toting RB in Kansas City.

I picked him up in a 14 Team 20 Man Roster..No PPR..nothing ventured nothing gained. If he aint getting carries than I got one roster spot to pick up best available

LeRon would have had a better shot being chosen as his distant cousin's running mate for VEEPin the last presidential election than he does making an impact as a ball toting RB in Kansas City.
Funny. I was thinking more of John McClane (from Die Hard and Moonlighting) than the more senatoria (no L) John McCain.

I think he will be the one to have. It may take a week or 2 for KC to realize it but in the end he will be the one!!! Pretty much for the reasons you already listed. When plugged into a larger role he was able to perform.

Published Wed Sep 21 11:12:26 a.m. PT 2011

(KFFL) Updating a previous report, the Kansas City Chiefs will be using a running back by committee approach because of the injury to RB Jamaal Charles (knee). RBs Dexter McCluster, Thomas Jones and Jackie Battle and FB Le'Ron McClain could receive carries the rest of the season.

Sounds like a 4 headed monster.

no thanks.

Seems like he'd be Thomas Jones backup rather than Jamal Charles replacement in KC's 2 RB scheme.
Honestly, I think he will relegate Jones to the bench pretty quickly because at this time in their careers, he is a better back. But that being said, this is PPR, and I think he will be replaced in passing situations. His value is greater in TD heavy leagues, but even there the team has to get the ball near the end zone for a goal line back to have value...So, he is worth carrying, but I wouldn't start him yet and he is more of a bye week filler than someone you will want to rely on in PPR especially.

The one thing no one is accounting for is that McCluster is the only one of all of these backs that has a shifty, pass catching skill set and that differentiates him from the others. That means that of all the RBs in this newly formed committee, he is likely to see the most opportunities, particularly because of them trailing often as well. Not sure how you can make a case otherwise. I also just went back and watched the Detroit game and two observations. 1. TJ may get an opportunity but will do nothing with it. He clearly is gassed at 33 and at this point in his career. I think getting him is a waste. 2. McCluster was being targeted several times by Cassel in the passing game that didn't show up on the boxscore. Good test of this theory this week as they should get run off the field by the Chargers. We'll see but that is how I see it. McClain and TJ can split the TDs which isn't bad just won't be that many at the GL this year.

'jantoniosus said:
McClain will be this years Hillis. Converted Full back to RB.
That's a pretty high bar. Wasn't Hillis like the #2 or #3 fantasy RB last year. Certainly worth consideration for an end of bench spot in 20+ man dynasty leagues (or non dynasty) but he's still just a flyer. If you get McClain 2008 numbers I'd be very happy.

Also, is the Chiefs run blocking setup such that a 260 pound RB could be successful running the ball? McClain has certainly shown capable of running the ball in the past, but he seems like the type of back that would only be successful in certain systems.

McClain is really dead, but he doesn't know it. He thought he was unbreakable, but Jackie Brown and Mister Glass took him down in the parking lot. Then, he went into space.

Serio, I think McClain is getting overlooked. He might do something here. I picked him up in a league that's slightly deeper than that in the OP. Worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread