What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Leon Washington (1 Viewer)

Sep 29 2006 1:11PM

Dave Hutchinson, of the Star-Ledger, reports New York Jets RB Leon Washington is expected to have a special package of plays designed for him Week 4.

Stashy said:
Hype is really growing on this one.
I dropped Wali Lundy for him! :excited:
So did I!!I do see him getting an increase in touches this week!! Bottom line is Jets have been playing somewhat decent thus far and they need to establish a running game. It is obvious Blaylock and Barlow have failed thus far. Perhaps it's Leon time!!!

Stashy said:
Hype is really growing on this one.
I dropped Wali Lundy for him! :excited:
So did I!!I do see him getting an increase in touches this week!! Bottom line is Jets have been playing somewhat decent thus far and they need to establish a running game. It is obvious Blaylock and Barlow have failed thus far. Perhaps it's Leon time!!!
Um . . . how much of a vote of confidence is this anyway? I proudly drafted Wali and dropped him some time ago for a bit of used gum someone offered. See ya, Wali. :bye:

Whatever happens will happen at a measured pace. Besides, without improvement to the run-blocking, it really makes no differnce who is behind center.

Barlow, btw, has been good in short yardage and goaline, which will limit Washington's upside. And of course, any improvement in the O-line will benefit Barlow as well - and he doesn't look half bad when he's not getting swarmed under behind the line.

Sal Pal on ESPN just reported that Mangini and the Jets and Dungy and the Colts want to get their running games going and will use plenty of rookie RB's Leon Washington and Joseph Addai.

I like this part: Jets coach Eric Mangini said Washington has made "significant" improvement since his arrival and has formed a bond with the injured Curtis Martin, adding "you can't ask for a better mentor."Don't really like this part: Washington's role, Mangini said, will change from game-to-game. He said it will be determined by "the type of runs we're going to use against that opponent."

OK, so if Washington gets that job, what can he realistically be? Can he get 80-100 yds combined per agme with a TD very other? A 10-12 pts. per game RB?

OK, so if Washington gets that job, what can he realistically be? Can he get 80-100 yds combined per agme with a TD very other? A 10-12 pts. per game RB?
predictions?How about a prediction for today? I know absolutely nothing about the NYJ this year.

predictions?How about a prediction for today? I know absolutely nothing about the NYJ this year.
Ok i will give it a try...wet field w/ rain in the forecast during the game40 rushing yards5 Rec for 35 yards75 total yards and maybe a goal line chance for him

:lmao: didn't start him... and as a Jet fan i'm not happy to see Houston hurt, I think they have both looked good today although I'm afraid Houston's season might be in jeopardy... just speculation, but he could not put any weight on his knee..

Barlow gets the TD there

Still too early to tell on Leon, its too bad about Houston though he was looking good until the injury.

One thing I think that is clear is Barlow may be a decent goal line back but he lacks any burst outside the redzone

Still too early to tell on Leon, its too bad about Houston though he was looking good until the injury. One thing I think that is clear is Barlow may be a decent goal line back but he lacks any burst outside the redzone
Barlow's 2nd TD run was the best run of the game as he just ran over the linebacker at the line of scrimage and then burst into the end zone. I think Barlow is the starter, with Washington coming in as a change of pace back and third down back. Both are probably RB#3, with Barlow being a bit more valuable.

Granted I didn't have the cajones to start him over Caddy, but I was thinking about it. :bag:

23 for 101 in a losing effort. not bad considering the Jets were down 21 early in the 1st half.

Also, Barlow was a whoping 4 rushes for -1 yd. *amazing*

Didn't watch the game or follow the game thread, so maybe injury to KB or something I missed, but Leon may be running away w/ the job after today.

Leon moving forward???

Discuss.

Granted I didn't have the cajones to start him over Caddy, but I was thinking about it. :bag: 23 for 101 in a losing effort. not bad considering the Jets were down 21 early in the 1st half.Also, Barlow was a whoping 4 rushes for -1 yd. *amazing*Didn't watch the game or follow the game thread, so maybe injury to KB or something I missed, but Leon may be running away w/ the job after today.Leon moving forward??? Discuss.
Still too early but they will give him another big day, if he produces it will be his job for a while.

Happy I picked him up yesterday. It should be interesting going forward. Barlow is just a guy and should be relegated to spot duty.

Happy I picked him up yesterday. It should be interesting going forward. Barlow is just a guy and should be relagated to spot duty.

I'm a Jet fan and a Leon owner

but take this game with a grain of salt.. Jets were out of it from the about the 5:00 mark in the first quarter.. They gave Leon the ball plenty but Pennington was so bad today, it seemed like the game ran away from the Jets... Leon also got a bunch of yards while the Jets were down 38-0 with the Jags playing a defense which was allowing the run but now allowing the big play down field.

I like this kid's talent and grit and he had a nice game, but he is not (yet) barry sanders

:wink:

Righetti said:
I'm a Jet fan and a Leon ownerbut take this game with a grain of salt.. Jets were out of it from the about the 5:00 mark in the first quarter.. They gave Leon the ball plenty but Pennington was so bad today, it seemed like the game ran away from the Jets... Leon also got a bunch of yards while the Jets were down 38-0 with the Jags playing a defense which was allowing the run but now allowing the big play down field.I like this kid's talent and grit and he had a nice game, but he is not (yet) barry sanders:wink:
I agree, but they weren't giving Barlow the work and when he got some he looked very bad in my opinion. I am encouraged by Leon's play and he earned another shot, if he produces sky's the limit, if he blows it well back to the drawing board for the Jets.

Righetti said:
I'm a Jet fan and a Leon ownerbut take this game with a grain of salt.. Jets were out of it from the about the 5:00 mark in the first quarter.. They gave Leon the ball plenty but Pennington was so bad today, it seemed like the game ran away from the Jets... Leon also got a bunch of yards while the Jets were down 38-0 with the Jags playing a defense which was allowing the run but now allowing the big play down field.
Agreed. Something to also keep an eye on is that Leon failed to convert at the stripe, so he might cede way to Barlow for goal line duty. All that said, I think Leon is making a strong case to be the starter - we'll see how things shake out next week at home vs. Miami.

Righetti said:
I'm a Jet fan and a Leon ownerbut take this game with a grain of salt.. Jets were out of it from the about the 5:00 mark in the first quarter.. They gave Leon the ball plenty but Pennington was so bad today, it seemed like the game ran away from the Jets... Leon also got a bunch of yards while the Jets were down 38-0 with the Jags playing a defense which was allowing the run but now allowing the big play down field.
Agreed. Something to also keep an eye on is that Leon failed to convert at the stripe, so he might cede way to Barlow for goal line duty. All that said, I think Leon is making a strong case to be the starter - we'll see how things shake out next week at home vs. Miami.
Curtis Martin comes back soon right? May factor into it.

Righetti said:
Curtis Martin comes back soon right? May factor into it.
I don't see Martin as a major factor going forward. If Washington gets pulled at the stripe, it will probably be Barlow or Houston (if/when he returns).

Righetti said:
I'm a Jet fan and a Leon ownerbut take this game with a grain of salt.. Jets were out of it from the about the 5:00 mark in the first quarter.. They gave Leon the ball plenty but Pennington was so bad today, it seemed like the game ran away from the Jets... Leon also got a bunch of yards while the Jets were down 38-0 with the Jags playing a defense which was allowing the run but now allowing the big play down field.I like this kid's talent and grit and he had a nice game, but he is not (yet) barry sanders:wink:
Hi Righetti,I'm a Jet fan as well, but located in PA so I miss quite a few games. I'm curious. I know the score was lopsided, but did Jax still bring out their starting D in the 3rd and early 4th Q's? Seemed like Leon, from watching gamecenter, was breaking some big runs once he got past the LOS. Is this the case? Has he been solid in the open field? I know he's not going to have Bush, or LT's moves, but his M.O. was that of a scat-back open field runner, right? I've been on his bandwagon for a few weeks now and really like the idea of the Jets having a HR threat back there, versus the plundering style of Barlow (whom I can't stand BTW). I'm also thinking future of the team here. It would be GREAT if they could have struck gold with a mid-round pick at RB so they can concentrate another year on the O-line. Despite the 41-0 blowout, this is a young/solid D. I'm not worried at all about that except maybe the D-Line. They could use a stud run-stopper. Anyway, Just looking for a little more insight from those able to see all the games. And keeping my fingers crossed that Leon could be the real deal and allows us other options in next year's draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Righetti,I'm a Jet fan as well, but located in PA so I miss quite a few games. I'm curious. I know the score was lopsided, but did Jax still bring out their starting D in the 3rd and early 4th Q's? Seemed like Leon, from watching gamecenter, was breaking some big runs once he got past the LOS. Is this the case? Has he been solid in the open field? I know he's not going to have Bush, or LT's moves, but his M.O. was that of a scat-back open field runner, right? I've been on his bandwagon for a few weeks now and really like the idea of the Jets having a HR threat back there, versus the plundering style of Barlow (whom I can't stand BTW). I'm also thinking future of the team here. It would be GREAT if they could have struck gold with a mid-round pick at RB so they can concentrate another year on the O-line. Despite the 41-0 blowout, this is a young/solid D. I'm not worried at all about that except maybe the D-Line. They could use a stud run-stopper. Anyway, Just looking for a little more insight from those able to see all the games. And keeping my fingers crossed that Leon could be the real deal and allows us other options in next year's draft.
I didn't watch the game, but my first $.02 would be that the jags were playing prevent pass D and willing to give up the small/medium plays on the ground.However, that itself won't stop many owners from rushing to pick up Leon. The big question to me is whether or not his performance, under the circumstances, will cause his coaches to play him more. (which would make me join that rush of owners trying to pick him up.

Righetti said:
I agree, but they weren't giving Barlow the work and when he got some he looked very bad in my opinion. I am encouraged by Leon's play and he earned another shot, if he produces sky's the limit, if he blows it well back to the drawing board for the Jets.
Washington grew up in Jacksonville, and once the game was out of reach Mangini featured Washington. I wouldn't read too much into who starts and who plays when on the basis of RB utilization in a giant blowout. Washington got his numbers when the Jaguars were dropping six or seven on every play, and when he got down to the goaline he failed to convert.

I didn't watch the game, but my first $.02 would be that the jags were playing prevent pass D and willing to give up the small/medium plays on the ground.However, that itself won't stop many owners from rushing to pick up Leon. The big question to me is whether or not his performance, under the circumstances, will cause his coaches to play him more. (which would make me join that rush of owners trying to pick him up.
the Jags were playing a prevent and giving the Jets running room underneath, but Leon was probably the lone positive for Gang Green1) he did a pretty good job taking what the defense gave him2) he is a good open field runner and the fact that he is small (as is Maurice Jones Drew) makes them tougher to tackle b/c of the low center of gravity.3) he was breaking off tons of 7 yard runs towards the end of the game, where he would get tackled by linebackers but always fall forward for an extra 1/2 yard

As a Jet fan...I actually think that Barlow is a decent option around the goal-line which is a nice option.. he is big and fairly tough and very difficult to arm tackle..

As a Leon owner, this will be death for his ultimate value

From the Daily News

LOW POINT: RB Kevan Barlow, who had been hoping for an expanded role, was a nonfactor: four carries for minus-1 yards. Rookie RB Leon Washington (23 for 101) got the bulk of the work, mostly because the Jets were in a passing mode. With RB Cedric Houston (knee) sidelined for a few weeks, the Jets activated Derrick Blaylock, who was inactive the last two games. Blaylock was limited to special teams. . .

the Jags were playing a prevent and giving the Jets running room underneath, but Leon was probably the lone positive for Gang Green1) he did a pretty good job taking what the defense gave him2) he is a good open field runner and the fact that he is small (as is Maurice Jones Drew) makes them tougher to tackle b/c of the low center of gravity.3) he was breaking off tons of 7 yard runs towards the end of the game, where he would get tackled by linebackers but always fall forward for an extra 1/2 yard
:goodposting: Thanks. I think in deeper leagues Leon definitely has some value then going forward this year as I have a feeling he'll be featured a bit more than Barlow. Although I agree Barlow is better for GL situations.For the Jets though, Leon is maybe a bit like FWP perhaps? Giving way to a bigger back in short yardage? If that translates to fantasy production, that's a nice bonus. Ultimately for the Jets...this is a good thing I would think. No? Somebody for the D's to be concerned with outside of LC and JC. Given that the Jets running hasn't even been much of a threat at all this year...they've got to find somebody to run consistantly.One more Jets note...more for Jets fans than anything. With Mia, Det, Cle, Hou, GB, Buf and Oak on the schedule, there is a very real possibility they can finish around .500 (or a bit better?) But there has to be a running game to do that IMHO. I say Let Leon Loose!ETA: This is all a moot point if CMart comes back in any capacity...Although I think the odds are a bit slim. But he's a determined dude. Nothing would surprise me.

Having watched Barlow play in SF, I would be hesitant to crown him as the short yardage back.
don't disagree with him historically.. but the few opportunities he got in the Indy game showed he was hard to tackle..was it an aberration?? probably, you've seen him play much morre than I have

Righetti said:
#@%&$!? said:
Having watched Barlow play in SF, I would be hesitant to crown him as the short yardage back.
don't disagree with him historically.. but the few opportunities he got in the Indy game showed he was hard to tackle..was it an aberration?? probably, you've seen him play much morre than I have
He's hard to figure out. He doesn't run with the power a guy his size should. It probably has to do with his running style. He dances like he thinks he's a shifty back instead of plowing ahead and churning his feet: a better version of ron dayne. Who knows, maybe with the change of teams and rb coach, he'll improve.

Righetti said:
#@%&$!? said:
He's hard to figure out. He doesn't run with the power a guy his size should. It probably has to do with his running style. He dances like he thinks he's a shifty back instead of plowing ahead and churning his feet: a better version of ron dayne. Who knows, maybe with the change of teams and rb coach, he'll improve.
He's shown some surprising power with the Jets in short yardage situations, albeit that's about all he's shown. I could forsee a bit of a thunder-and-lightning approach going forward.

Righetti said:
#@%&$!? said:
a bad habit RBs have is to turn their shoulders toward the sideline when busting thru the hole, their power is gone then. The better backs, it comes out in frustration. The worse do it regularly. It seems like Barlow gets reminded on the sideline and says "oh yeah" then does it correctly. It's amazing this is not drilled more often even as elementary as it is.

I remember this pre-season Marshall Faulk said to look out for Leon Washington. He said the rest of the rbs were just guys. I see Washington as the starter from here on out. The best Barlow can hope for is a goal-line/change of pace role. When Houston returns he will probably challenge Barlow for that role.

I remember this pre-season Marshall Faulk said to look out for Leon Washington.
I never heard that, but when you factor in both Faulk and Curtis Martin heaping praise upon Leon, obviously we should take notice.

I remember this pre-season Marshall Faulk said to look out for Leon Washington. He said the rest of the rbs were just guys. I see Washington as the starter from here on out. The best Barlow can hope for is a goal-line/change of pace role. When Houston returns he will probably challenge Barlow for that role.
:eek: Serioulsy? So little Leon has 2 future HOF's pimping him? Hope they and you are right. I have big time bye week issues next week.

Users who are viewing this thread