What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Legion of Drugs (1 Viewer)

Warrior

Footballguy
So Sherm got off on a technicality (chain of custody, like Ryan Braun), despite testing positive for Adderall, and we had the first chapter of the Seattle Seahawks' secondary and their drug use.

Next (yesterday), Walter Thurmond was popped with a 4 game suspension for violating the NFL substance abuse policy (Marijuana).

Today, "NFL Network's Mike Silver reports Seahawks RCB Brandon Browner is facing an eight-game suspension for violating the league's policy on performance-enhancing drugs."

So what is it with these guys? I would be ashamed if I was a Seahawks fan. Russell Wilson seems to be a great example but these knuckleheads just can't stay clean, whether it's smoking up or taking short cuts and gaining an unfair advantage on the field by popping pills.

Discuss.

Not ashamed of the team, but pissed at the individuals for making these poor decisions.

I'll still say you can discount the Sherman test on a technicality, but there's a reason why they have those protocols *and* there was another batch that did test positive for PEDs. All subsequent tests from Sherman have been clean. Not sure what else to say, but I know you don't care.

I suspect we'll start writing it into their contracts soon to handle this monetarily.

I think if you live in Seattle you just assume all drugs are legal.
No, but there is certainly less of an emphasis on worrying about it. Arrests for marijuana use was deprioritized many years ago because it wasn't worth it. I actually find it enlightening even if I don't smoke.

I'd rather the players using pot for pain than any opiate based prescription. Maybe the downside is that they would get too fat.

I suspect we'll start writing it into their contracts soon to handle this monetarily.
Not until the CBA is changed. Right now, that's not allowed. (Draft prospects who fail the combine test sometimes tell teams that they'll forfeit their salary if they ever test positive again or whatever, but it's only for show. That can't be written into their contract.)

Last edited by a moderator:
No, but there is certainly less of an emphasis on worrying about it. Arrests for marijuana use was deprioritized many years ago because it wasn't worth it. I actually find it enlightening even if I don't smoke.
Who says this is what the actually tested for? It was my understanding that it was private information and couldn't be released. So in that case you are taking the players word for it. Probably all steroids.

Drugs -Yes

PEDs - No

Browner is an idiot. He's the only one with a problem.

I would be ashamed if I was a Seahawks fan. Russell Wilson seems to be a great example but these knuckleheads just can't stay clean, whether it's smoking up or taking short cuts and gaining an unfair advantage on the field by popping pills.

Discuss.
Yeah…I don't think the fans on these boards are gonna pipe down. They are on the verge of doing something special, I doubt the fans care much right now.

Are you saying that Seattle's success is partly attributed to them skirting the system?

Browner looks like he is facing a 1 year suspension. Trying to appeal and have it reduced…PEDs twice. Maybe we should start calling the Seahawks a bunch of cheaters. Is it the culture in Seattle? I know drugs are prevelant there but is Carroll trying to create a shortcut to win a title and then get lost?

Maybe a full investigation is needed once the NFL is done in Miami, they can move on to Seattle for another installment of As the League Turns.

Browner looks like he is facing a 1 year suspension. Trying to appeal and have it reduced…PEDs twice. Maybe we should start calling the Seahawks a bunch of cheaters. Is it the culture in Seattle? I know drugs are prevelant there but is Carroll trying to create a shortcut to win a title and then get lost?
You are not better than this.

You are not better than this.
I checked the time on it, figuring it was right when the story came out, and he hadn't had time to realize that it wasn't for PED's, it was for substance abuse.

Nope, he'd had plenty of time. Just a little slow on the uptick.

Who says this is what the actually tested for? It was my understanding that it was private information and couldn't be released. So in that case you are taking the players word for it. Probably all steroids.
No, there are separate categories for PEDs and for substance abuse. So even if the positive test results aren't revealed (not sure if substance abuse test results are guarded or not), it is, by definition, absolutely not for steroids. It could anything from booze to heroin, but it absolutely cannot be steroids or Adderal or any other "cheat".

Maybe by being high he was more calm in pressure situations allowing him to excel versus a guy who isn't high? That sounds like cheating to me.

Or by being high, he played hungry (and having the munchies) which made him more aggressive during games? Again, cheating.

@Edwerderespn: Browner suspension is 8th since 2010 for Pete Carroll team. Imagine hysteria if this were Cowboys, Eagles, Jets, Giants, Saints, Pats?

Maybe by being high he was more calm in pressure situations allowing him to excel versus a guy who isn't high? That sounds like cheating to me.

Or by being high, he played hungry (and having the munchies) which made him more aggressive during games? Again, cheating.
These aren't very good jokes.

Marijuana does not give you a competitive advantage, therefore not cheating.

Browner is a knuckle head...have a nice season.

pizzatyme said:

Pot is not a performance enhancing drug. Unless you play bass.

Was Browner's first suspension under the PED policy or non-PED illegal drug use? Because they are two separate policies with different rules. Being in one program does not put you in the other one I don't think.

So if he was suspended for PEDs last time but was using, say pot, this time then his suspension should be 4 games not a whole season.

My bet is that he got busted for Adderall and is trying to play it off like it wasn't a violation under the PED policy when it actualy was.

Bigboy10182000 said:
@Edwerderespn: Browner suspension is 8th since 2010 for Pete Carroll team. Imagine hysteria if this were Cowboys, Eagles, Jets, Giants, Saints, Pats?
And how many of those are still on the team?

Browner is gonezo. Irvin is the only one along with Thurmond. I'm not even too mad about Thurmond because he was playing at a pro bowl level this year, set for a very nice payday. Now he will miss 4 games, and be available for the Hawks to re-sign at literally a fraction of the price.

I'll just go out here and say there should be one year (or more) where there are absolutely no rules against drugs. They can get high, take adderall, and get all roided up, if they want. And if they don't want to, they might change their minds know everyone else is doing it. Let's see what happens when the tweaked out on adderall guy tries to tackle the comically sluggish high guy and then gets body slammed by the roid-rager.

I just hope the guy that has to cover Sproles out of the backfield doesn't attend the pre-game Adderall buffet.

Users who are viewing this thread