What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Leaving a Legacy at Work (1 Viewer)

xulf

Footballguy
My work is transitioning ownership in the next couple of years and questions came up about how people want to ultimately be remembered when they retire...and how to get to that spot.  Essentially, at your retirement party what do you want people saying.  We remember FBG as _____ (e.g. honest, innovative, a great leader, good with clients, etc.).

So, two questions:

1. In what 3 ways do you currently believe you are viewed by colleagues
  2. By the time you retire, what are 3 ways you want to be viewed

I want to leave my job the same way I my to leave life - with no one realizing I was ever here. 

They are gonna be wanting to know who's gonna fix stuff when I'm gone. I'm just there one day, gone the next but I'll guarantee I get phone calls at home asking how something works and how do they fix something. No way I can transfer everything to someone else.

I came here expecting to read about how someone left a load on their bosses desk.  Rather disappointed.  

I used to think about this stuff. 

Now I just want them to say that I was a family man. Good teammate, better Dad.

I retired once already, that's pretty much what they said. 

Last edited by a moderator:
lod001 said:
They are gonna be wanting to know who's gonna fix stuff when I'm gone. I'm just there one day, gone the next but I'll guarantee I get phone calls at home asking how something works and how do they fix something. No way I can transfer everything to someone else.
I hear this sentiment a lot and I just don't get it.

For probably 99% of us, the business was there before we were hired and it will exist and do just fine when we leave. Sure, you know a lot, do a lot, and are very valuable, but we're all replaceable.

I hear this sentiment a lot and I just don't get it.

For probably 99% of us, the business was there before we were hired and it will exist and do just fine when we leave. Sure, you know a lot, do a lot, and are very valuable, but we're all replaceable.
Sure but I will get calls for a while. There's just no way to transfer everything to someone else because they aren't going to hire someone for 6 months to a year for me to train before I leave.

Sure but I will get calls for a while. There's just no way to transfer everything to someone else because they aren't going to hire someone for 6 months to a year for me to train before I leave.
Small company or terribly run? 

Ah, this I get.

:thumbsup:

I only care about the legacy I leave  behind for my friends and family. Who cares about work? Means to an end is all b

I only care about the legacy I leave  behind for my friends and family. Who cares about work? Means to an end is all b
I agree with this to a point. The problem is, I tend to treat both home and work with the same type of purpose. I do the best I can in both capacities. Certainly I value home life more, but it doesn't affect how I perform my job. 

I hope they'll say - "really smart guy - made a ton in cryptocurrency and retired to spend his days living in a tropical paradise with his stable of hot nymphs............."

Work is still in a good place for now but I don’t think we should have to go back to the office to pick up some stuff for you. 

In all likelihood I'll be leaving my job sometime next year - you can call it early retirement although one of my friends called it 're-purposing' which is probably more accurate. My wife and I will be downsizing for less stressful jobs and who knows, we may find a second career along the way. We'll certainly be young enough.

I'm awesome at my job. I'm consistently ranked as the top or 2nd-highest engineer in my building (yes, we rank our engineers from 1 to x), and I'm sure a lot of people will be shocked/disappointed that I'm leaving.

I'm equally sure that a year after that, maybe as long as two years, my name won't come up. I'm replaceable. I'm not going to develop anything that revolutionizes my industry or invent something that changes the world. I'm just an engineer who does the best job I can every day. I'll leave, someone will come along to replace me, and the company will continue on its way. That's fine with me.

Users who are viewing this thread