What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Latimer vs. Caldwell (1 Viewer)

purestrength

Footballguy
I thought this is worth a separate thread. With the Welker suspension news, I'm trying to figure out which player will be the more valuable WR3 in the Denver offense -- stud rookie Cody Latimer or dependable veteran Andre Caldwell.

Or does Jacob Tamme become more valuable now?

I'm wondering about just simply rolling the dice with the highest ceiling guy of the three, which from all that I've read/heard would be Latimer.

Early season easy call for me: Caldwell. Been in the system & working ahead of Latimer

They aren't going to trot out 2 new WR's (Sanders/Latimer) with Peyton right now. Latimer would/will become more intriguing if absence occurs later in the year. He simply needs more game action time with Peyton. I'd say he definitely at least sees the field now -- albeit still limited snaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Early season easy call for me: Caldwell. Been in the system & working ahead of Latimer

They aren't going to trot out 2 new WR's (Sanders/Latimer) with Peyton right now. Latimer would/will become more intriguing if absence occurs later in the year. He simply needs more game action time with Peyton. I'd say he definitely at least sees the field now -- albeit still limited snaps.
Agreed. Weeks 1-4, I see Caldwell benefiting. Later in the season if Welker gets concussed again, then I would think Latimer has a better chance of contributing better numbers. I think you might see him getting more reps as WR4 (when Welker is back) and then I could see Latimer benefiting from Welker being out again. I just don't see him overtaking Caldwell in the first 4 weeks.

But they rolled out Julius Thomas in week 1 last season, and we all know how that story ends. I say Lattimer is the shark move.

last year when Welker was out, it was Caldwell that was the main beneficiary - at least in the first game. After that, he didn't do much. It's entirely possible that the Welker suspension opens the door for Latimer to get on the field and if he impresses, he may stay.

I think Caldwell is the play early on. If you need help off of the WW already, you really don't believe in your draft.

I say get Latimer for late-season upside, but wouldn't start until we see how this shakes out.

They had already talked about using Latimer in the red zone. And welker was the top red zone option. I say big bump for Latimer.

Caldwell isn't very good. You have to factor that into the equation.
He's serviceable and has played with Manning the past few years. That said, once the give Lattimer a shot , I highly doubt they will be able to take him off the field

But they rolled out Julius Thomas in week 1 last season, and we all know how that story ends. I say Lattimer is the shark move.
not a good example -

Thomas wasn't a rookie last year.

Even if Latimer gets redzone looks, how will he be reliable if the target numbers aren't there? He seems like a lottery ticket at this point.

not a good example -

Thomas wasn't a rookie last year.
Very good point, Julius was in his third NFL season

I haven't seen anything other than speculation by a beat writer that Latimer would get RedZone looks. Has anyone seen a direct quote from the coaching staff or a non-ESPN Broncos beat writer?

Caldwell isn't very good. You have to factor that into the equation.
He's serviceable and has played with Manning the past few years. That said, once the give Lattimer a shot , I highly doubt they will be able to take him off the field

Eh, Welker was excused from practice on August 20-21 to appeal the suspension so Denver knew about it. Yet Latimer still didn't get time with the first team offense during the preseason. Pretty telling in my opinion

And don't forget about Tamme

Eh, Welker was excused from practice on August 20-21 to appeal the suspension so Denver knew about it. Yet Latimer still didn't get time with the first team offense during the preseason. Pretty telling in my opinion

And don't forget about Tamme
I thought Tamme would be the play last year after Welker had his concussions. It did not work out as hoped.

Caldwell sucks, Latimer is really good. Seems pretty simple.

Even if you pick up Caldwell and he ends up starting, what good is 4 catches for 50 yards anyway?

Even if you pick up Caldwell and he ends up starting, what good is 4 catches for 50 yards anyway?
Latimer may be good (with more talent than Caldwell) - right now he's an unproven rookie.

Latimer may be good (with more talent than Caldwell) - right now he's an unproven rookie.
rookies are unproven rookies.

meanwhile, in the games Welker missed last year, Caldwell put up 6-52-2; 2-12-0; 3-42-0.
yes, but Decker was there last year, and now he isn't.

Caldwell is a mediocre talent, but he's startable playing with Manning.

@MikeKlis: Broncos believe Wes Welker is playing Sunday vs. Colts. Suspensions never announced this late in week. Game plan in place.

rookies are unproven rookies.

meanwhile, in the games Welker missed last year, Caldwell put up 6-52-2; 2-12-0; 3-42-0.
yes, but Decker was there last year, and now he isn't.

Caldwell is a mediocre talent, but he's startable playing with Manning.
After Welker went down, Decker moved to the slot in 3 WR sets which is what Sanders will do now. So Caldwell will likely be playing the same role across from DT as he played last year when he came in for Welker. I say go for it with Caldwell, I just don't see it. I would rather take a chance on a guy who the team is very high on, who has looked very good in camp and who has a much higher ceiling. I just don't see it with Caldwell. He may end up scoring a deep TD during the 4-game stretch, but I don't think he sees a surge in targets compared to when he came in for 3 games last year.

On the other hand, Caldwell is a proven player....proven that he sucks. Even if you haven't watched a second of Latimer playing, why wouldn't you take the chance on a 2nd round pick who has the chance to be good/great over the veteran who doesn't provide that chance? Unless you're playing for a 6th place finish in your league, this decision is incredibly simple imo.

On the other hand, Caldwell is a proven player....proven that he sucks. Even if you haven't watched a second of Latimer playing, why wouldn't you take the chance on a 2nd round pick who has the chance to be good/great over the veteran who doesn't provide that chance? Unless you're playing for a 6th place finish in your league, this decision is incredibly simple imo.
Manning and Fox aren't playing fantasy football.

Manning and Fox aren't playing fantasy football.
Fox is irrelevant, Manning is for all intents and purposes the head coach of the offense. If Manning thinks the Broncos offense is better off starting Latimer over Caldwell, it's gonna happen.

Cecil Lammey tweeted in regards to Caldwell....

"yes, Bubba Caldwell has increased role now too...however, Latimer is bigger, more versatile, better blocker, too good to keep down, esp now"

Hoping this is true, not only for fantasy purposes, but Manning would do a lot to help Latimer mature into a top outside receiver. Down the stretch that would be a huge benefit to the Broncos.....even when Welker comes back.

"yes, Bubba Caldwell has increased role now too...however, Latimer is bigger, more versatile, better blocker, too good to keep down, esp now"

Hoping this is true, not only for fantasy purposes, but Manning would do a lot to help Latimer mature into a top outside receiver. Down the stretch that would be a huge benefit to the Broncos.....even when Welker comes back.
Cecil is the main reason a lot of us have Latimer. He's been pimping him for a while. No reason to expect that to stop now.

They had already talked about using Latimer in the red zone. And welker was the top red zone option. I say big bump for Latimer.
Exactly. If they were already going to use him in certain packages, why not include him more in the whole offense now? Not sure Latimer makes an instant impact, but the Broncos seem to know he has potential and will have him out there sooner rather than later. It's not like Caldwell is some stud WR.

Cecil is the main reason a lot of us have Latimer. He's been pimping him for a while. No reason to expect that to stop now.
Let's not forget that Latimer was getting a lot of praise predraft too. Waldman had him ranked 4th behind Watkins, Evans, OBJ. And that was before he was given the opportunity to be on the field in what is possibly the best offense of all time.

If you're trying to win your league the draft Latimer. If you're trying to find a serviceable WR3 then go with Caldwell.

Let's not forget that Latimer was getting a lot of praise predraft too. Waldman had him ranked 4th behind Watkins, Evans, OBJ. And that was before he was given the opportunity to be on the field in what is possibly the best offense of all time.

If you're trying to win your league the draft Latimer. If you're trying to find a serviceable WR3 then go with Caldwell.
What if you are looking for servicable waiver wire fodder that you hope to sell high? Does Bubba Caldwell fit that description? Will Peyton trust Latimer this early in the season to fill the Welker reps. Or does he split the Welker throws equally between DT, JT, Sanders and the rest of the table scraps not being worth even a WR3. Caldwell comes into play as well as potentially Tamme. I'm betting it's more of a boon for DT, JT and Sanders. Those guys are gonna eat....at least early till Latimer ramps up his game.

If this Welker finding happened back in May like I heard, I would think Denver has been prepping for this already. So I don't think they are just throwing Latimer into the fire here, but I would still give it a week for him to emerge as a starter.

Peyton has always been about finding the best matchup then continually exploiting it throughout the game. If you have a feeling that Caldwell on a given week could be that weeks matchup that Peyton is looking to expliot then he would make a great plug/play/sell candidate.

What if you are looking for servicable waiver wire fodder that you hope to sell high? Does Bubba Caldwell fit that description? Will Peyton trust Latimer this early in the season to fill the Welker reps. Or does he split the Welker throws equally between DT, JT, Sanders and the rest of the table scraps not being worth even a WR3. Caldwell comes into play as well as potentially Tamme. I'm betting it's more of a boon for DT, JT and Sanders. Those guys are gonna eat....at least early till Latimer ramps up his game.
The way I see it is that Caldwell is more of a chain mover and Latimer is more of a redzone threat. In an offense that is going to be putting up ridiculous numbers each week, I like the guy who is going to be catching the TD's and not moving the chains. A chain mover type WR that is surrounded by DT, JT and Sanders with a QB that can throw to anybody with pinpoint accuracy is not that valuable to me. He may get more snaps and maybe the Broncos organization will be grumpy and keep him in over Latimer for the first 4 games. It doesn't change my opinion that he's just not that special of a player and his ceiling is capped. He just doesn't offer much and it's guaranteed to be for a short period of time. If they give Latimer the opportunity then I think he takes the job away with ease. If he starts out well, I see him working himself into a rotation even with Welker back. I just get the feeling that Latimer is going to be catching a ton of TDs this year.

But to answer your question...if your league is active in trading and your goal is to sell high on a player then Caldwell could be a good option. I think he'll see more snaps then Latimer week 1. But if you're looking for the best value then I'd go with Latimer.

Thanks Steveski for your reply. Oh I have no doubt that Latimer is the guy to own. I only was able to get him in one of two redrafts. Waited too long and kicking myself. But Caldwell is available for the price of a free waiver add/drop.

Cecil is also the reason alot of people drafted Ronnie Hillman, when Knowshon was the guy to have.

Latimer is a rookie, rookies make more mental mistakes.

I think Caldwell is the play especially during the suspension.

Cecil is also the reason alot of people drafted Ronnie Hillman, when Knowshon was the guy to have.

Cecil also has been talking up Julius Thomas for the past few years.

The takeaway: He covers the Broncos and he's a big fan. He's excited about the big potential guys on the team. As far as Hillman, he was the starter but he failed to produce. In practice it's hard to see how a guy will perform when compared to going live. Moreno isn't that special of a player but he plays with a lot of heart and doesn't go down easily. Hillman is the opposite, but he's much quicker and in practice I'm sure he looked a lot better when he's not being tackled.

Cecil also has been talking up Julius Thomas for the past few years.

The takeaway: He covers the Broncos and he's a big fan. He's excited about the big potential guys on the team. As far as Hillman, he was the starter but he failed to produce. In practice it's hard to see how a guy will perform when compared to going live. Moreno isn't that special of a player but he plays with a lot of heart and doesn't go down easily. Hillman is the opposite, but he's much quicker and in practice I'm sure he looked a lot better when he's not being tackled.
point of order - Cecil claims to be a Steeler fan, not a Bronco fan. He is most definitely a fan of particular players though. sometimes his crushes have panned out - Brandon Marshall, Julius Thomas, for example, sometimes they have not - Ronnie Hillman.

I would think this is a pretty basic question to answer. Knowing that Cecil Lammey specifically covers Broncos and is watching them practice daily, it should be pretty obvious that what he says is nearly fantasy gold as far as the Broncos are concerned. This whole summer he's been raving about Latimer and explaining that even though Caldwell will likely get the start if something happens to Welker (Fox is apparently notorious for sitting rookies regardless of skill set), that Latimer is a much more dominant force. Even if Latimer doesn't start until midway through the year, I'd rather roll with someone more likely to give me better scoring games in the second half of the season. Once Welker's back Caldwell is gone but Latimer could save himself a much more significant role than he was likely to have this year.

Plus after that hit Eire92 posted a few back, I don't think there's much else to say.

I doubt either guy will be rostered in less than a 12 teamer, in fact, in my 12 teamer Latimer was drafted.

But with that said, I think the upside play is the way to go. Roll with Latimer and hope for a homerun...worst case is you burn a waiver spot.

I prefer populating my bench with upside. Latimer is the superior talent with the higher ceiling. Latimer also has far greater potential as trade bait. Easy decision, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread