What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Latarjet Procedure (Shoulder Surgery) - Anyone? (2 Viewers)

Wingnut said:
Wow, a lot of shoulder probs here. I dislocated my right shoulder for the first time back in about 1991 while playing volleyball, and I was able to pop it right back in. Over the next few years it popped out 20-30 times and I was always able to get it back in socket...until I couldn't and had to go to the hospital.  Since that time Ive been to the ER maybe 8 times over the years, and they always have to knock me out to pop it back in. Like a couple of you guys, it was always popping out when doing mundane things but mostly when reaching up high for something, or rolling over during sleep, it even popped out once during sex, and once by just putting my car from drive into park. I've even driven myself to the ER twice when it popped out in the middle of the night and I was living alone. Not fun. Having to pull over for fear of passing out from the pain was pretty crazy. 

Had MRI and all that stuff about 12 years ago and I elected not to get surgery because I felt I couldn't miss work with a lengthy recovery, and learned how to deal with it and not put my arm in a position where it might pop out until it was pretty much second nature. 

So, It hasn't popped out in about 9 years now, but every now and then I'll be doing something and I'll get a twinge where it feels like it almost wanted to slip out. It's still pretty loose and I have chronic dull pain and can't lay/sleep on my right side for more than a few minutes, but at this point I feel like I can just ride it out and have no plans on surgery. I know I'll probably have bad arthritis later on, but it's a risk I decided to take.

Good luck to all those that have to have or have had surgery. I know it's a painful condition to deal with.
This sounds like I could have written it. Both my shoulders dislocated, guessing over 200 times during my 20’s and 30’s (more left shoulder).

After going probably 20 years with no dislocations I jumped in the pool wrong about 5ish years ago. I had always been able to pop mine in myself until the latest. Spent 6 hours in ER with left shoulder hanging out, tried putting me out, couldn’t relocate shoulder until they called in an orthopedic surgeon who happened to be on call. He did it right away. 

I haven’t had a dislocation since that last one, but I get frequent pinched nerves that cause my whole neck/shoulder/spine to stiffen and get sore. This past summer this occurred and was the worst ever. Lost a whole week of the best part of summer, spent it propped up on couch. Couldn’t sleep in bed or stand more than a few minutes, just excruciating unrelenting  pain radiating from spine through shoulder blade. I was taking 800 mg of Ibuprofen 4 times a day for that whole week. The sad thing is I don’t know what caused it. It was either just sleeping wrong the night before or from light weight lifting with my son.

im 58 now and have no desire for any surgery. I am just also trying to avoid putting shoulder in bad position, which is tough because I sleep primarily on my left side with left arm under pillow and it feels unstable. Just tough to change.

re-reading this thread again today makes me think i should direct an old HS friend of mine here

that guy's shoulders would pop out just raising his arms above his head sometimes. i can still remember freshman year hearing his shriek when he jumped for a rebound and, without contact, his right shoulder popped out. 

big dummy played safety on the football team like that until the coaches decided the sport wasn't for him anymore due to the shoulders.

Hey! My husband just got the official order from his orthopedic surgeon that he needs to have this procedure. He has 33% bone loss!! My question is, how much help/assistance did you need for personal care and also for help with daily activities/chores? Showering/dressing Driving/cleaning/yard-work etc? I am trying to be proactive and begin making arrangements for help at home and any time I might need to take off from work. I appreciate any insight, tips, warnings you have to offer! Thank you!!

Just to reiterate this again - it is clear from this thread that people do randomly stumble onto this while Google searching.  I know how difficult it is to find information about this procedure.

If you find this thread and have questions, I am happy to answer them, but it's much more likely that I will see your question if you send me a private message.  Click on my username and find the "message" or "send message" box....makes it much more likely that I will see it and take the time to answer it.
My husband had this surgery 2 weeks ago, hes shoulder pops randomly, is that normal?

This sounds like I could have written it. Both my shoulders dislocated, guessing over 200 times during my 20’s and 30’s (more left shoulder).

After going probably 20 years with no dislocations I jumped in the pool wrong about 5ish years ago. I had always been able to pop mine in myself until the latest. Spent 6 hours in ER with left shoulder hanging out, tried putting me out, couldn’t relocate shoulder until they called in an orthopedic surgeon who happened to be on call. He did it right away. 

I haven’t had a dislocation since that last one, but I get frequent pinched nerves that cause my whole neck/shoulder/spine to stiffen and get sore. This past summer this occurred and was the worst ever. Lost a whole week of the best part of summer, spent it propped up on couch. Couldn’t sleep in bed or stand more than a few minutes, just excruciating unrelenting  pain radiating from spine through shoulder blade. I was taking 800 mg of Ibuprofen 4 times a day for that whole week. The sad thing is I don’t know what caused it. It was either just sleeping wrong the night before or from light weight lifting with my son.

im 58 now and have no desire for any surgery. I am just also trying to avoid putting shoulder in bad position, which is tough because I sleep primarily on my left side with left arm under pillow and it feels unstable. Just tough to change.
Just curious... why no surgery? If it's an option that can help..?

Just curious... why no surgery? If it's an option that can help..?
Well, after my last dislocation I went for a consultation with the same orthopedic surgeon who popped my shoulder back in in the ER. He told me I’d lose a lot of range of motion with surgery (to be fair, I don’t know if it would have been the exact same surgery being discussed in here) and said I d Be unable to raise my arm above shoulder level. After several weeks of physical therapy I saw him again and his conclusion was to advise against it, he said I had regained ROM and strength. (As an aside, this guy had given me my first ever cortisone shot. It was heavenly, took away ALL the pain and for 2-3 weeks shoulder felt completely normal. I see why pro athletes get them).

I also witnessed my father go through a shoulder surgery (again, not sure it was the same). He spent a few months on a couch with some kind of ice machine hooked up to his shoulder and was on some pretty heavy duty painkillers. I didn’t want to deal with either. Plus, I would have had to time it for over the summer and I just have too much to do in the summers. 

I just decided to try and deal with it and change my behavior (basically just be more careful), with obviously mixed results. After I had that pinched nerve this last summer my wife was all over my case to go back to the ortho guy but I just suffered through it. If it happens again I’ll likely have to reconsider.

There has to be some kind of genetic component to this because several of the men in my family have shoulder problems and some have had surgeries: my uncle (dads brother) had chronic shoulder problems and at least one surgery, 2 of that uncle’s sons (my cousins) have had surgeries, and my brother, while he hasn’t had any surgery also has chronic shoulder problems and pinched nerves in the region.

Well, after my last dislocation I went for a consultation with the same orthopedic surgeon who popped my shoulder back in in the ER. He told me I’d lose a lot of range of motion with surgery (to be fair, I don’t know if it would have been the exact same surgery being discussed in here) and said I d Be unable to raise my arm above shoulder level. After several weeks of physical therapy I saw him again and his conclusion was to advise against it, he said I had regained ROM and strength. (As an aside, this guy had given me my first ever cortisone shot. It was heavenly, took away ALL the pain and for 2-3 weeks shoulder felt completely normal. I see why pro athletes get them).

I also witnessed my father go through a shoulder surgery (again, not sure it was the same). He spent a few months on a couch with some kind of ice machine hooked up to his shoulder and was on some pretty heavy duty painkillers. I didn’t want to deal with either. Plus, I would have had to time it for over the summer and I just have too much to do in the summers. 

I just decided to try and deal with it and change my behavior (basically just be more careful), with obviously mixed results. After I had that pinched nerve this last summer my wife was all over my case to go back to the ortho guy but I just suffered through it. If it happens again I’ll likely have to reconsider.

There has to be some kind of genetic component to this because several of the men in my family have shoulder problems and some have had surgeries: my uncle (dads brother) had chronic shoulder problems and at least one surgery, 2 of that uncle’s sons (my cousins) have had surgeries, and my brother, while he hasn’t had any surgery also has chronic shoulder problems and pinched nerves in the region.

Thanks for the explanation, and sorry you've had to go through this.

I tend to prefer suffering than stuff like surgery...so I get it.

Hey! My husband just got the official order from his orthopedic surgeon that he needs to have this procedure. He has 33% bone loss!! My question is, how much help/assistance did you need for personal care and also for help with daily activities/chores? Showering/dressing Driving/cleaning/yard-work etc? I am trying to be proactive and begin making arrangements for help at home and any time I might need to take off from work. I appreciate any insight, tips, warnings you have to offer! Thank you!!
My bone loss was close to that as well.  I did not need a ton of personal assistance, but I'm a pretty stubborn person who doesn't like to feel useless.  I was pretty useless for the first ~48 hours and didn't really leave the couch, but by the third day I was making myself food, dressing myself, etc.  I don't think I showered for like 4-5 days though.  Didn't need any help using the bathroom.

SamElaineP said:
My husband had this surgery 2 weeks ago, hes shoulder pops randomly, is that normal?
The shoulder that he just had the surgery on?  I have never had mine dislocate in the 3 years since I've had the surgery.  I would say that this is probably not normal, but I am not a doctor.

I had a Laterjet shoulder reconstruction nearly three years ago. I have not been able to regain my strength or proper shape of my chest on the side of the reconstruction. i havee been doing weights three times a week post surgery my chest on the effected side is still 20 to 25% weaker than the other side,very noticable when doing inclin dumbell press ,flies and flat dumbell press. All other body parts around the effected shoulder are now of equal in strength. Has any body experienced this  

Shoulder replacement an option?  My MIL is having one in January. 

I've had 4 shoulder surgeries for torn RC but nothing like you've experienced.

GL and my only advice is to get cold water therapy machine.  I've used one for all of my surgeries and I believe it helps the recovery extensively.  After every surgery, I've lived in the machine and the PT always comments about how quickly I'm recovering.
I used this machine after my knee replacement surgery. During the hospital, they provided me with a similar system. It helps reduce knee pain, swelling, and medication, and at least I can sleep well at night. And it freezes longer than ice packs, at least five hours or more. After being discharged, because my pain continued, I decided to purchase this particular system. Whenever redness and pain appear, I still use it to alleviate bad conditions.

Had surgery yesterday early morning.  Procedure was approx. 90 minutes and I was out of the hospital start-to-finish in about 5.5 hours.

They gave me a nerve block yesterday, which pretty much had my entire arm numb all day into the evening.  Wore off in the middle of the night but I started with a Lortab and it got me back to sleep.  Not in a ton of pain yet, thankfully.  Gonna be on the couch for a few days.
4-year anniversary - no dislocations.

I feel bad that I missed the 2 people who posted in here asking for advice/help.  

If you find this thread on a Google search and you have questions about this surgery, please send me a PM and I am happy to respond.  I did not notice this thread had been bumped by the two people who posted in it - my apologies.
Reminder - if you find this thread on a Google search, please click on my name and send me a private message.  I often do not see this on the rare occasion that someone messages me on this.

i had Latarjet Procedure 2 months ago and my bycep has been saggy since then.My doctor said that physiotherapy needs to be done.So, my question is did you also have a saggy bycep due to this kind of procedure and if yes how lond did take to return to it's natural state ?

Users who are viewing this thread