What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LaRod Stephens-Howling (1 Viewer)

If you've watched any AZ games you will know it's not the RB that is the problem.

Of course he's worth a pickup but I wouldn't expect much of anything from any AZ back this year.

I want a scatback that can actually be a runner.

I see plenty of flashy joystick moves in LaRod, but nothing I want for fantasy.

Id rather have Powell or even Smith.

According to the Arizona Republic, the Cardinals' coaching staff does not believe La'Rod Stephens-Howling is capable of holding up on 15 carries a game.

Stephens-Howling is expected to be the Cardinals' "starter" until Beanie Wells (turf toe) gets back after midseason, but he'll be far from a workhorse. He's 5'7/185, and coaches believe he "tends to wear down" over the course of seasons, even in a change-of-pace and kick return role. Beat writer Kent Somers believes the Cards "will have to add a back," naming Joseph Addai, Tim Hightower, Steve Slaton, and Cadillac Williams as possibilities.
You really don't want any piece of this backfield.

According to the Arizona Republic, the Cardinals' coaching staff does not believe La'Rod Stephens-Howling is capable of holding up on 15 carries a game.

Stephens-Howling is expected to be the Cardinals' "starter" until Beanie Wells (turf toe) gets back after midseason, but he'll be far from a workhorse. He's 5'7/185, and coaches believe he "tends to wear down" over the course of seasons, even in a change-of-pace and kick return role. Beat writer Kent Somers believes the Cards "will have to add a back," naming Joseph Addai, Tim Hightower, Steve Slaton, and Cadillac Williams as possibilities.
Any RB that gets 10+ touches has a decent amount of value these days, but I have to agree that if you starting any Arizona back this year, you're probably not going to win your league. That O-Line is horrible, any they won't have an RB that can create yards on his own. Tough schedule coming up and they're in a tough defensive division.

Last edited by a moderator:

Any RB that gets 10+ touches has a decent amount of value these days, but I have to agree that if you starting any Arizona back this year, you're probably not going to win your league. That O-Line is horrible, any they won't have an RB that can create yards on his own. Touch schedule coming up and they're in a tough defensive division.
Yeah facing SF and SEA twice a year definitely doesn't help their case.

Fitzgerald for the Houston o-line. Then their running game might be worth something, but their passing will suck.

arizona vs an absolutely pourous buff defense...fbg has LaRod ranked as the #12 RB. maybe a 1-week wonder and a try to sell high.

Last edited by a moderator:
arizona vs an absolutely pourous buff defense...fbg has LaRod ranked as the #12 RB. maybe a 1-week wonder and a try to sell high.
where do you see that?I like LSH the best of any of the backs due to his receiving ability. AZ can't and doesn't run so I like LSH to get a lot of dump offs and screens. Might be a decent play....

My leagues are deeped, but I was honestly surprised to wake up and see LSH (and Powell) claimed in waivers in all 3 of my leagues. Not worth it, IMO. The ARZ backfield has RBBC/hot hand written all over it week to week

I ended up with this guy on my team - we get half pts for return yards - I'm hoping there is something to this.

He seems to be able to create positve plays in space so hopefully the cards get his some opps.

Any idea what his college career looked like?

Ok I looked it up myself

He was the starter for 1 year at Pitt had 178 carries for 893 yards and 9 TD's - 5.0 YPR.

The next year he was replaced by LeSean McCoy.

He hasn't been used very much in his NFL career, but when he did get the chance last year against the Seahawks he did well.

I don't think he has a lot of long-term value this year since the Cardinals have been struggling to run the ball with any RB, but he could be a low-end RB2 bye-week replacement when the matchup is right and the matchup doesn't get much better than this week at home against Buffalo. So people with Forte, MJD, Sproles, etc. may want to pick him up for a bye-week fill-in.

Who is the better waiver pickup...LSH and Powell?

I assume Alfonso Smith isn't worth anything at this point and its a choice between who is less sucky behind that O-line between LSH and Powell.

Who is the better waiver pickup...LSH and Powell?I assume Alfonso Smith isn't worth anything at this point and its a choice between who is less sucky behind that O-line between LSH and Powell.
Powell, simply because he has the best chance of playing on all three downs if he breaks out. ARI already said they don't want to give LSH any type of real work load. If Powell didn't get injured last week I think we would have seen why he's the RB to own, even though none of these guys are all that appealing.

LSH is a dangerous scat back, but he's WAAAAY too tiny to play as a week-in week-out 3 down back.

That said, his touches will definately go up and he's worth a flyer, especially in best ball leagues.

Safe to say that few people saw that kind of workload coming yesterday.

Obviously he's a no-brainer pick up, but the big questions are (1) was the Powell benching just a one-week thing; and (2) even if he earned it in the coaching staff's eyes, can this little guy hold up as a feature back?

Safe to say that few people saw that kind of workload coming yesterday.Obviously he's a no-brainer pick up, but the big questions are (1) was the Powell benching just a one-week thing; and (2) even if he earned it in the coaching staff's eyes, can this little guy hold up as a feature back?
Powell was essentially benched after the fumble. Powell was a lot more successful running the ball last week than LSH was. This week, Powell just didn't get any opportunities. He did just fine with the few carries he did receive. I think it's a tough situation to predict. They each had one good game and one bad game. I own Powell and I don't want to waste my waiver priority to drop him for LSH, but if I could do a clean swap without blowing my waiver priority I probably would.

What is the word here? He was dropped in my 16-team league this week where RB is very scarce. He is definitely the starter, right? I am not expecting miracles, but unless there is some reason he won't be getting carries, he is well worth the roster spot to me in that league.

What is the word here? He was dropped in my 16-team league this week where RB is very scarce. He is definitely the starter, right? I am not expecting miracles, but unless there is some reason he won't be getting carries, he is well worth the roster spot to me in that league.
beenie comes back next weekend, thats why he was dropped more than likely...LSH should be good for this weekend though

I'm going with him this week, but you have to wonder what his workload will be like coming off a bye week. Theoretically, the rest should help, but who knows what kind of game plan the coaches implemented in the time off.

beenie comes back next weekend, thats why he was dropped more than likely...LSH should be good for this weekend though
Oops, good point.

I'm going with him this week, but you have to wonder what his workload will be like coming off a bye week. Theoretically, the rest should help, but who knows what kind of game plan the coaches implemented in the time off.
:unsure:
Can't wait to start him. :unsure: :football:
Mine was because as a Wells dyno owner for the past few years, I am not really sure the Arizona coaching staff ever has a plan. Good luck though. :thumbup:

:unsure:
Can't wait to start him. :unsure: :football:
Mine was because as a Wells dyno owner for the past few years, I am not really sure the Arizona coaching staff ever has a plan. Good luck though. :thumbup:
Didn't catch that. Funny. Picked up Stephens-Howling and Wells in the same week. I'm counting on Beanie as a flex play in the next few weeks. :football: again.

Users who are viewing this thread