What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lab made diamonds (1 Viewer)

Fat Nick

Footballguy
So I'm looking for a Diamond tennis bracelet for the Mrs. for X-mas.  She's the world's most difficult person to shop for, so I usually just end up spending more money than I want to on shiny things.  In looking at diamond tennis bracelets, I came across lab-made diamonds and wondered what the deal REALLY was.  Some facts to consider:

-Lab made diamonds grade out well, but some claim they can tell the difference when compared side-by-side.  Regardless, nobody has said they look bad or that they can be outed in "isolation."

-Price is roughly 20% less than a similar size/weight natural diamond.

-FOR TENNIS BRACELETS - the diamonds are not GIA (or other) graded because there are too many low-grade diamonds.

-Some have argued that the 20% premium will go way up (i.e. lab made will get cheaper and cheaper) as manufacturing methods get better and they flood the market.  Definitely my biggest concern for NOT going lab.

So...has anyone bought a lab-made diamond?  I'm considering it simply because I know this won't be something she'll wear every day.  I went super-high-end for her engagement/wedding rings.  I've gone pretty good quality for earrings and necklace.  Tennis bracelets are hella expensive, and I'm just wondering if it's worth cutting a few corners as I don't think anyone would ever even have a clue.  Thoughts?

I’ve bought other lab made gemstones, but they’re not quite the same as the real deal. The luster just isn’t there imo. No idea about diamonds though.

If it looks nice and she likes it that is all that matters.

Do woman wear bracelets to play tennis now?

Subtly place an magazine article or two around the house (à la Ralphie and the Red Rider BB Gun in "Christmas Story") about the atrocities of the diamond mining industry, surf a few CZ websites on her laptop so she starts getting some articles populating her news feeds, ads, etc. Casually watch "Blood Diamond" with her.

Then she will recommend it to you. 

:moneybag:

So I'm looking for a Diamond tennis bracelet for the Mrs. for X-mas.  She's the world's most difficult person to shop for, so I usually just end up spending more money than I want to on shiny things.  In looking at diamond tennis bracelets, I came across lab-made diamonds and wondered what the deal REALLY was.  Some facts to consider:

-Lab made diamonds grade out well, but some claim they can tell the difference when compared side-by-side.  Regardless, nobody has said they look bad or that they can be outed in "isolation."

-FOR TENNIS BRACELETS - the diamonds are not GIA (or other) graded because there are too many low-grade diamonds.

-Some have argued that the 20% premium will go way up (i.e. lab made will get cheaper and cheaper) as manufacturing methods get better and they flood the market.  Definitely my biggest concern for NOT going lab.

So...has anyone bought a lab-made diamond?  I'm considering it simply because I know this won't be something she'll wear every day.  I went super-high-end for her engagement/wedding rings.  I've gone pretty good quality for earrings and necklace.  Tennis bracelets are hella expensive, and I'm just wondering if it's worth cutting a few corners as I don't think anyone would ever even have a clue.  Thoughts?
Diamonds are tremendously over priced and do not hold value. Get a lab made diamond  (it is still a diamond) or get her a Moissanite stone which actually looks better than a diamond in many peoples opinions. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Subtly place an magazine article or two around the house (à la Ralphie and the Red Rider BB Gun in "Christmas Story") about the atrocities of the diamond mining industry, surf a few CZ websites on her laptop so she starts getting some articles populating her news feeds, ads, etc. Casually watch "Blood Diamond" with her.

Then she will recommend it to you. 

:moneybag:
My wife cares ZERO about blood diamonds.  She cares only about the sparkle factor really.  Odds of her getting it appraised are exactly zero unless we were to be getting a divorce (not happening in any scenario I can see), and I wouldn't care at that point anyway.

If it looks nice and she likes it that is all that matters.

Do woman wear bracelets to play tennis now?
Your first statement is what had me considering it in the first place.  Personally, I'm concerned if it's noticeable to anyone (for her sake), and I'm concerned that maybe the bracelet I got a 20% discount on for going lab now will be a 50% discount 2 years from now (for my sake)

My wife cares ZERO about blood diamonds.  She cares only about the sparkle factor really.  Odds of her getting it appraised are exactly zero unless we were to be getting a divorce (not happening in any scenario I can see), and I wouldn't care at that point anyway.

Your first statement is what had me considering it in the first place.  Personally, I'm concerned if it's noticeable to anyone (for her sake), and I'm concerned that maybe the bracelet I got a 20% discount on for going lab now will be a 50% discount 2 years from now (for my sake)
Then go look at a Moissanite 

When my wife and I got married, we had zero money, so all we got were plain gold wedding bands.  A couple years ago, we finally had enough money to get a decent ring.  I went lab made to get something bigger for the same grade.  Never told her.  As Fat Nick said, all she cares about is the sparkle.

I really don't care about the retained value, depreciation, or any of that.  It is something I bought for her because she wanted it and she'll wear it until she dies.  After that, who cares how much its worth?

If it looks nice nobody else will notice it.  

When my wife and I got married, we had zero money, so all we got were plain gold wedding bands.  A couple years ago, we finally had enough money to get a decent ring.  I went lab made to get something bigger for the same grade.  Never told her.  As Fat Nick said, all she cares about is the sparkle.

I really don't care about the retained value, depreciation, or any of that.  It is something I bought for her because she wanted it and she'll wear it until she dies.  After that, who cares how much its worth?
Don't let her go camping. 

Safe to say nobody has ever said, "Your diamond looks funny...is it lab made?"

Diamonds are tremendously over priced and do not hold value. Get a lab made diamond  (it is still a diamond) or get her a Moissanite stone which actually looks better than a diamond in many peoples opinions. 
My wife actually suggested I get her a moissanite engagement ring before we were engaged.  I couldn't bring myself to do it and paid up for a real rock, but I did buy her moissanite stud earrings and no one would ever guess they weren't real.  

:hey:

This guy. Funny story. My wife’s mom gave her some of her old jewelry, specifically a diamond necklace. We brought it to a store to get it set into white gold/platinum instead of yellow gold to match her other stuff. Wouldn’t you know, cubic zirconium. Her dad had gotten it so long ago he forgot he cheap’d out. We gave him hell, especially his wife but guess who got the short end. Yep, yours truly had to buy a real one. SMH.

The long con on your wife. Leave an envelope in your safe that says: Not to be opened until after my death. 

Honey, remember that tennis bracelet I got you years ago. Lab diamonds. Gotcha!

I like it.

So glad my wife vehemently does not want diamonds or any expensive jewelry, except maybe a mother's ring with the birth stones.

Instead she just wants a beach house and many kids.  💸

I manage a jewelry store in one of the finer demographics in the world. Lab made diamonds are absolutely a growing trend--although I'm personally not a huge fan of them in regards to future value retention. 

In regards to how they "grade"-- if you get a GIA certified lab created diamond--the grading standard should be consistent with what their natural diamond grading standards are. However--there are many laboratories outside of the GIA that certify lab created diamonds--and in my experience--their color grades can be a bit on the loose side. 

Optically--lab created diamonds do look great in person.  They are tough durable stones and do have a high refractive index. However--do keep in mind that there is a lab created stone called moissanite that also provides the same benefits.

For diamonds in a tennis bracelet--unless you are going for a giant tennis bracelet that features stones that are close to 0.50 carat each--you generally will not have each stone certified whether it's natural diamond or lab created.  What is the total carat weight of the bracelet you are looking at?

-the discount on larger lab created diamonds should be much larger than 20% versus the prices of similar quality natural diamonds.  For example-we just sold a lab created 2 carat oval shaped diamond a couple days ago.  The price difference was closer to 35% below what the same stone would have been in a natural variety 

i fully expect lab created diamonds to get more economical with time as the technology to create them gets more inexpensive and more efficient.  With that said--even natural diamonds in a tennis bracelet format (as most people aren't getting stones larger than 0.10-0.50ct each for a tennis bracelet) are not what one would consider investment size.  If you purchase a lab created diamond tennis bracelet--you are just buying a beautiful piece of jewelry that she can enjoy---but do so having little to no expectation of future value retention 

be honest and tell her if you get lab created. There are already new diamond testers that can differentiate between natural and lab created and the only reason why most stores don't have them is because they are currently super pricey. In a year or two when those testers get far more economical--most stores will have them--and eventually she will find out.   There is no shame or embarrassment involved in buying lab created diamond jewelry so there is no reason to keep it a secret.   

There's a local jewelry store that runs radio ads pimping lab diamonds. They say that some federal agency has declared that if a competitor ever says that a lab-made diamond is "synthetic", then that competitor is being deceptive. :shrug:

More information about lab-made diamonds at the link. They claim lab-made diamonds these days are close to perfect and have better luster, etc. than 98% of natural diamonds :shrug:  

There's a local jewelry store that runs radio ads pimping lab diamonds. They say that some federal agency has declared that if a competitor ever says that a lab-made diamond is "synthetic", then that competitor is being deceptive. :shrug:

More information about lab-made diamonds at the link. They claim lab-made diamonds these days are close to perfect and have better luster, etc. than 98% of natural diamonds :shrug:  
Lab created diamonds have a variety of qualities just like natural diamonds do.  There is a lot of misinformation and lots of misdirect out there.  There are lab created diamonds that are flawless and there are lab created diamonds that are SI2 in clarity.  There are lab created diamonds that are colorless and there are some that have heavy color.   They are by no means "closer to perfect" as a general category.    In fact--lab created diamonds start off their creation via the use of a natural diamond seedling 

:hey:

This guy. Funny story. My wife’s mom gave her some of her old jewelry, specifically a diamond necklace. We brought it to a store to get it set into white gold/platinum instead of yellow gold to match her other stuff. Wouldn’t you know, cubic zirconium. Her dad had gotten it so long ago he forgot he cheap’d out. We gave him hell, especially his wife but guess who got the short end. Yep, yours truly had to buy a real one. SMH.
:shrug:  I would think the value in wearing a parent's piece of jewelry would be the nostalgic quality, not necessarily the actual dollar value.  A couple of examples:

when my grandmother died, all the kids (my mom and her seven siblings) went to her house to take everything each of them wanted.  The house was full of nick-nacks.  My mom asked me if I wanted anything, and what I wanted was this gaudy coo-coo clock that had fake antlers on top, and large metal pinecones as the weights.  I wanted it because one time when my brother and I slept there in the living room, this thing kept us up all night coo-cooing every hour.  It didn't matter to me if it was quality or worth anything, it was my grandmothers.

My parents got each other rings for their 25th anniversary.  My dad got a silver ring with a blue stone it in.  As the kids say these days, I thought it looked pretty gangster on him for someone that was pretty straight laced.  It is something I would happily wear after he passes in his memory, regardless of if it is actual silver, or 100% fake.

When your wife wore her mother's "diamonds," I would think the value to her would be wearing something that was her mothers, not the appraised value of the jewelry itself.

I manage a jewelry store in one of the finer demographics in the world. Lab made diamonds are absolutely a growing trend--although I'm personally not a huge fan of them in regards to future value retention. 

In regards to how they "grade"-- if you get a GIA certified lab created diamond--the grading standard should be consistent with what their natural diamond grading standards are. However--there are many laboratories outside of the GIA that certify lab created diamonds--and in my experience--their color grades can be a bit on the loose side. 

Optically--lab created diamonds do look great in person.  They are tough durable stones and do have a high refractive index. However--do keep in mind that there is a lab created stone called moissanite that also provides the same benefits.

For diamonds in a tennis bracelet--unless you are going for a giant tennis bracelet that features stones that are close to 0.50 carat each--you generally will not have each stone certified whether it's natural diamond or lab created.  What is the total carat weight of the bracelet you are looking at?

-the discount on larger lab created diamonds should be much larger than 20% versus the prices of similar quality natural diamonds.  For example-we just sold a lab created 2 carat oval shaped diamond a couple days ago.  The price difference was closer to 35% below what the same stone would have been in a natural variety 

i fully expect lab created diamonds to get more economical with time as the technology to create them gets more inexpensive and more efficient.  With that said--even natural diamonds in a tennis bracelet format (as most people aren't getting stones larger than 0.10-0.50ct each for a tennis bracelet) are not what one would consider investment size.  If you purchase a lab created diamond tennis bracelet--you are just buying a beautiful piece of jewelry that she can enjoy---but do so having little to no expectation of future value retention 

be honest and tell her if you get lab created. There are already new diamond testers that can differentiate between natural and lab created and the only reason why most stores don't have them is because they are currently super pricey. In a year or two when those testers get far more economical--most stores will have them--and eventually she will find out.   There is no shame or embarrassment involved in buying lab created diamond jewelry so there is no reason to keep it a secret.   
I worked at Bailey Banks and Biddle as I put myself through college. A couple came up and said they wanted to reset their diamond in white gold.  I said sure, took the ring, then pulled out the diamond tester.  The man immediately said "What are you doing?!"  I told him company policy before accepting a customer's piece was to test the diamond for liability purposes.  He said he didn't want me to do that because I would scratch the diamond.  I told him that wouldn't happen, but he kept putting up such a fuss that the wife then starts insisting I test it in front of her.  He yells "If you want a scratched diamond, fine!  I'm out of here!" and storms off.  She politely asked me to test the diamond, which of course wasn't a diamond.

In the OP's case, I'd probably go lab created.  Moissanite to me looks too good to be true, so a lot of people may guess she is wearing "fake diamonds".  They do sparkle more, but she may have to explain the difference between Moissanite and diamonds.  I doubt anyone would question the authenticity of lab created diamonds.

:shrug:  I would think the value in wearing a parent's piece of jewelry would be the nostalgic quality, not necessarily the actual dollar value.  A couple of examples:

when my grandmother died, all the kids (my mom and her seven siblings) went to her house to take everything each of them wanted.  The house was full of nick-nacks.  My mom asked me if I wanted anything, and what I wanted was this gaudy coo-coo clock that had fake antlers on top, and large metal pinecones as the weights.  I wanted it because one time when my brother and I slept there in the living room, this thing kept us up all night coo-cooing every hour.  It didn't matter to me if it was quality or worth anything, it was my grandmothers.

My parents got each other rings for their 25th anniversary.  My dad got a silver ring with a blue stone it in.  As the kids say these days, I thought it looked pretty gangster on him for someone that was pretty straight laced.  It is something I would happily wear after he passes in his memory, regardless of if it is actual silver, or 100% fake.

When your wife wore her mother's "diamonds," I would think the value to her would be wearing something that was her mothers, not the appraised value of the jewelry itself.
I thought the same thing.  The value was not in the stone, but in the person wearing it.

I worked at Bailey Banks and Biddle as I put myself through college. A couple came up and said they wanted to reset their diamond in white gold.  I said sure, took the ring, then pulled out the diamond tester.  The man immediately said "What are you doing?!"  I told him company policy before accepting a customer's piece was to test the diamond for liability purposes.  He said he didn't want me to do that because I would scratch the diamond.  I told him that wouldn't happen, but he kept putting up such a fuss that the wife then starts insisting I test it in front of her.  He yells "If you want a scratched diamond, fine!  I'm out of here!" and storms off.  She politely asked me to test the diamond, which of course wasn't a diamond.

In the OP's case, I'd probably go lab created.  Moissanite to me looks too good to be true, so a lot of people may guess she is wearing "fake diamonds".  They do sparkle more, but she may have to explain the difference between Moissanite and diamonds.  I doubt anyone would question the authenticity of lab created diamonds.
Lol. Love hearing jewelry stories as I have lots of them myself. Haha.  One thing to consider is that some processes used to manufacture lab created diamonds integrates adding materials in the mix that can trigger them to test as moissanite on a tester. If I remember right- it might be boron.    If the op wants to avoid that from happening he needs to get lab created that doesnt have that material in it. 

What is the total carat weight of the bracelet you are looking at?
Looking in the 4-6ct. total weight range.  Not massive, not tiny.  Ultimately, I'm not trying to be shady with her.  She'll know it's lab made.  I don't think she will care...She appreciates value and practicality - she also appreciates shiny.  Some may say "Why not just go cubic zirc or something?"  Well...there's value to perception in people's eyes.  To use an analogy from my line of work - if you don't put value on it, neither will your customer...so it's not 100% about sparkle for the dollar for me (or her).  I'm looking to get something that checks the "This is a really nice gift," while also checking the "It's sufficiently expensive and rare that I value it and others will too and it's special to me," without checking the "Schmuck paid too much for something he could have gotten for less elsewhere" box.  

@jvdesigns2002 - Thanks for the good info overall.  I'll especially consider the mark-down I'm seeing.  

Looking in the 4-6ct. total weight range.  Not massive, not tiny.  Ultimately, I'm not trying to be shady with her.  She'll know it's lab made.  I don't think she will care...She appreciates value and practicality - she also appreciates shiny.  Some may say "Why not just go cubic zirc or something?"  Well...there's value to perception in people's eyes.  To use an analogy from my line of work - if you don't put value on it, neither will your customer...so it's not 100% about sparkle for the dollar for me (or her).  I'm looking to get something that checks the "This is a really nice gift," while also checking the "It's sufficiently expensive and rare that I value it and others will too and it's special to me," without checking the "Schmuck paid too much for something he could have gotten for less elsewhere" box.  

@jvdesigns2002 - Thanks for the good info overall.  I'll especially consider the mark-down I'm seeing.  
Right on.  That makes sense.  You should definitely not get CZ as cz's are soft.  If she wears them everyday--they will end up with surface scratches and abrasions--so I'd rule them out immediately.  With a 4-6 carat total weight bracelet--you'll most likely be looking at stones that are 0.10-0.15 carat each in size as most bracelets tend to contain 37-55 stones based on the exact setting style you decide to go with.  Stones at that size are never individually/indepdently certified as it's just not economical to do so. Secondly--if she were to lose one of the diamonds in the bracelet--you would have to fish out with certificate went with that particular stone--and that would be a nightmare.  I do think that lab created checks off a lot of the boxes that you are looking for and I wish you luck in getting the perfect gift. Just know that I am absolutely happy to provide second opinions to fellow FBG's--so feel free to PM me if you want me to evaluate or give you an opinion on any candidates. 

You should definitely not get CZ as cz's are soft.  If she wears them everyday--they will end up with surface scratches and abrasions--so I'd rule them out immediately.
Educate me here: unless not all CZ's are made equally ... CZ is supposed to be about an 8 on the Moh's scale, as hard as a topaz. Of course, there are a few other stones and industrial materials that are harder than an 8 (see link). But my question is ... what common item is out there that would scratch up a cubic zirconia? When people are scratching up their CZs, how is it happening?

Did you read it or are you going to fall off your high horse if you get close enough to read it? Her mom was alive and so was her dad and we ribbed him good for lying to his wife for 30+ years. Her mom was just trying to be nice and give her a what she thought was a nice diamond to use.

But you got us, my wife was so vain she didn’t even care years later when her mom, her best friend who she still misses every day, passed away from cancer. I was a (willing) single dad while my wife drove hours every week to work and help her dad take care of her mom while she disintegrated for months.

Way to ruin a funny story and try to make people look bad. I was going to post more but I don’t need to explain anything. Nothing worse than people trying to look better than others. Honestly, makes you look like a condescending ****.

Did you read it or are you going to fall off your high horse if you get close enough to read it? Her mom was alive and so was her dad and we ribbed him good for lying to his wife for 30+ years. Her mom was just trying to be nice and give her a what she thought was a nice diamond to use.

But you got us, my wife was so vain she didn’t even care years later when her mom, her best friend who she still misses every day, passed away from cancer. I was a (willing) single dad while my wife drove hours every week to work and help her dad take care of her mom while she disintegrated for months.

Way to ruin a funny story and try to make people look bad. I was going to post more but I don’t need to explain anything. Nothing worse than people trying to look better than others. Honestly, makes you look like a condescending ****.
Whoa, totally not the way I intended my post to come across.  I wasn't trying to pass judgement, or make anyone feel lesser than anyone else.

You responded to my question about caring about the value of jewelry with a story.  I responded with my thoughts.  That's all it was meant to be.  I didn't mean to be judgement.  If I didn't make my thoughts clear enough, then my bad, but that wasn't my intention.

Educate me here: unless not all CZ's are made equally ... CZ is supposed to be about an 8 on the Moh's scale, as hard as a topaz. Of course, there are a few other stones and industrial materials that are harder than an 8 (see link). But my question is ... what common item is out there that would scratch up a cubic zirconia? When people are scratching up their CZs, how is it happening?
One has to remember that a typical bracelet, ring, piece of jewelry (necklaces, earrings aside) are constantly battling things that weigh exponentially more than them.   Granite countertops, dresser drawers, metal surfaces and objects..etc.  So while an 8 on the hardness scale might seem tough---in the context of real world battles--it is not.  Even diamonds can get chipped, scratched, burned, cleavaged.  Even stones that are a 10 on the hardness scale are not indestructible--they are very strong for their size. Take a hammer to a diamond and it will break even though it's a 10 on the hardness scale.  They are strong relative to their size--they are not necessarily strong relative to the world of giants they are constantly battling against.  

Thanks, didn't know this was a thing. I ordered some lab created diamond studs from Diamond Nexus, I should get them next week and can post my thoughts after.

Whoa, totally not the way I intended my post to come across.  I wasn't trying to pass judgement, or make anyone feel lesser than anyone else.

You responded to my question about caring about the value of jewelry with a story.  I responded with my thoughts.  That's all it was meant to be.  I didn't mean to be judgement.  If I didn't make my thoughts clear enough, then my bad, but that wasn't my intention.
I probably overreacted but my wife was ridiculously close with my MIL and went through hell for months at the end and still cries at holidays years later. Insinuating that my wife wouldn’t treasure it just because it was her mom’s because she only cared about the value pissed me off. We have her dad’s cooking utensils in our drawer because he loved to cook. The cubic zirconium that my MIL didn’t even wear wasn’t sentimental in any way, but it was a funny story and pretty much proved his penny pinching.

I briefly considered a lab diamond when I proposed to my wife 13 years ago. At that time, prices were on par with real diamonds and it didn't seem worth it to try to sit her down for "Blood Diamond".

I'm actually surprised prices are only 20% under now. Considering pricing for a real diamond is only based on marketing and strict control of supply, I expected a big discount then.

I briefly considered a lab diamond when I proposed to my wife 13 years ago. At that time, prices were on par with real diamonds and it didn't seem worth it to try to sit her down for "Blood Diamond".

I'm actually surprised prices are only 20% under now. Considering pricing for a real diamond is only based on marketing and strict control of supply, I expected a big discount then.
That 20% is an arbitrary number. I have been in the jewelry trade for 26 years and larger lab created diamonds routinely sell for more than 20% below what a natural counterpart would go for.  We just sold a large lab created round brilliant cut diamond for closer to 35% below what the natural counterpart might go for.  In the world of a tennis bracelet--the discount might be less--because while the stones are less expensive--you still have the labor and the actual mounting that the stones are set in that are not subject to discount.  

That 20% is an arbitrary number. I have been in the jewelry trade for 26 years and larger lab created diamonds routinely sell for more than 20% below what a natural counterpart would go for.  We just sold a large lab created round brilliant cut diamond for closer to 35% below what the natural counterpart might go for.  In the world of a tennis bracelet--the discount might be less--because while the stones are less expensive--you still have the labor and the actual mounting that the stones are set in that are not subject to discount.  
That makes sense. I probably would have pursued it further at a 35% discount.

wilked said:
Interesting...

So what total carat weight you going for?  What's your strategy to get best deal?  Wife turns 40 next year, might be a good present
I'm looking at around 4 ct. total weight.  Again, my one gap is not understanding how big (or small) 4 ct. actually looks spread out on a bracelet like that.  

Re. best deal  - the styling on these tennis bracelets are largely the same, and I'm not married to a designer.  I'll probably look at some at big-name department stores to get a baseline for price, use that James Allen site as a reference, then see if I can get some more "reputable" jewelry stores locally to match.  If that doesn't work, James Allen is my fall-back as those prices don't seem horrible.

I'm looking at around 4 ct. total weight.  Again, my one gap is not understanding how big (or small) 4 ct. actually looks spread out on a bracelet like that.  

Re. best deal  - the styling on these tennis bracelets are largely the same, and I'm not married to a designer.  I'll probably look at some at big-name department stores to get a baseline for price, use that James Allen site as a reference, then see if I can get some more "reputable" jewelry stores locally to match.  If that doesn't work, James Allen is my fall-back as those prices don't seem horrible.
Was at Costco yesterday, saw this and thought of this thread. Round Brilliant 5.00 ctw VS2 Clarity, I Color Diamond 14kt White Gold Bracelet $3,499.99

Users who are viewing this thread