What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kubiak fired (1 Viewer)

No surprise...in my drive in this morning, I was even thinking with some of the bottom feeders showing signs of life, that I really only saw Kubiak and Shanahan on a major hot seat...closely followed by Frazier.

Not a surprise that he was let go, but a little bit of surprise that he's let go before Black Monday. A lot of Houston fans got what they where hoping for.

@McClain_on_NFL: McNair "The last straw was losing. We've got a lot more talent than Jacksonville, but they played better and smarter."

No remorse for an inept coach losing his job who is under qualified to be such.

By far the worst coach the NFL has seen in the past few years and I'm counting McDaniels. Never been a fan and am actually excited to see him fired. That should be his exit from this franchise. He is not hurting for money and will find work as an OC next season.

But his decision making what pathetic and that in itself is sad considering his decision led a franchise to this.

By far the worst coach the NFL has seen in the past few years and I'm counting McDaniels. Never been a fan and am actually excited to see him fired. That should be his exit from this franchise. He is not hurting for money and will find work as an OC next season.

But his decision making what pathetic and that in itself is sad considering his decision led a franchise to this.
So what you are saying is that you are not a fan of stalling out in the redzone and kicking FG after FG while the other team puts TDs on the board?

Best wishes to Gary, hope he takes care of his health.

I think the reason is obvious, replacing Keenum just to try and salvage his job when he should have kept him in the game to possibly develop him and for the front office to get a better look at Case so they aren't forced to take a QB with the first pick that they seem destined for.

IF Case shows enough over the final three games he might allow the Texans to pass on Bridgewater and trade that pick but more than likely Keenum doesn't show enough and they take Bridge but with the firing of Kubiac it opens the door for Keenum to show what he can do over the last stretch of the season.

So what you are saying is that you are not a fan of stalling out in the redzone and kicking FG after FG while the other team puts TDs on the board?
Yes, and I am not a fan of an NFL coach who's selfish decisions put his teams in bad situation.

I have no way of knowing, but my gut tells me a few weeks ago McNair told Kubiak "Do not bench Keenum again, we want to see what he has."

He does it again, next day FIRED. He sabotaged himself and therefore get enjoyment seeing him out of the NFL for the next month at least.

Also, how he can leave Swearinger in after all his mistakes but pull Keenum is saying screw you to management if indeed McNair or Smith said that to Kubiak.

I fully expect egos to be involve in a mans game so its not far fetched.

He was fired the second Schaub stepped on to the field last night, and he knew it. They passed the ball every play, too. It was like they were giving the owner a last f u. McClain saying that JAX played smarter was another f u back to Kubiak. This ended pretty ugly.

Wish Gary the best but man Im so glad he is out....wish Rick Smith was next
He has enough money, so I wish him to never be employed by any NFL team again. Go to college or if he does stay in the NFL I hope he don't go to one of my favorite teams and pray he gets employed within the division of the Saints or Lions.

Listening to McNair speak he sounds pretty annoyed about how Gary kept taking Keenum out....maybe Yates can be moved up and Schaub can be inactive the rest of his short career here

Listening to McNair speak he sounds pretty annoyed about how Gary kept taking Keenum out....maybe Yates can be moved up and Schaub can be inactive the rest of his short career here
I do wish Schaub the best as a backup next year, he did not get the coaching he deserved. He had nothing but an inept high school coach in Kubiak to help guide him over the heart of his career. That had failure written all over it.

That really was stupid of Kubiak. Their playoff chances are done, and Schaub was done in Houston, so might as well leave Keenum in to take his lumps and improve, rather than repeatedly taking him out and messing with his head and confidence. Kubiak blew it big time.

Guy's been a trainwreck for a couple years in Houston, no? Their incredible season last year kind of came out of nowhere if I'm not mistaken. Pretty sure he was on the hot seat before that as well...

Shouldn't take long to rebuild here... just get the right guy and draft wisely. This team could be in the playoffs next year easily.

Bet you Wade Phillips will not even breathe in the direction of thinking about pulling Keenum the rest of the year.

Maybe they will select Derek Carr with the #1 pick. It will be like going back in time.

That really was stupid of Kubiak. Their playoff chances are done, and Schaub was done in Houston, so might as well leave Keenum in to take his lumps and improve, rather than repeatedly taking him out and messing with his head and confidence. Kubiak blew it big time.
Stubborn with Schaub til the end...the last guy to see his skills have eroded and was never that great to begin with

Case Keenum is a nice NFL backup QB. If McNair really thinks the next three weeks of "evaluation" are going to bear out something different, well, then it explains why he was dumb enough to draw the decision out fire Kubiak about four more weeks than were necessary.

Yeah, Schaub is toast just the same. And while Schaub has plenty of limitations, he'd be a nice fit with a playoff team that has an entrenched top tier starter and a pathetic backup. There's a few scenarios where Schaub would be a darn good insurance policy. It's clear what happens to these teams when the starter goes down and the backup is a joke. The Bears have been good with McCown, the Pack have been awful with Tolzien and Flynn.

Was Kubiak this hated last year? It seems that id Schaub didn't get hurt, they had a shot to win it all....

Case Keenum is a nice NFL backup QB. If McNair really thinks the next three weeks of "evaluation" are going to bear out something different, well, then it explains why he was dumb enough to draw the decision out fire Kubiak about four more weeks than were necessary.
How can you tell, you can rarely see him come through with always being pulled.

Let the kid grow.

I think the reason is obvious, replacing Keenum just to try and salvage his job when he should have kept him in the game to possibly develop him and for the front office to get a better look at Case so they aren't forced to take a QB with the first pick that they seem destined for.

IF Case shows enough over the final three games he might allow the Texans to pass on Bridgewater and trade that pick but more than likely Keenum doesn't show enough and they take Bridge but with the firing of Kubiac it opens the door for Keenum to show what he can do over the last stretch of the season.
I am not saying Keenum can't be a decent starter in the league, but if you are Houston, you don't pass on the chance to draft a guy like Bridgewater. I am not even saying Bridgewater will be better than Keenum (though I really do think he will be), but the chance at a #1 overall should not come around too often and if you (1) have a need at QB and (2) there is a deserving QB at #1, you end it there.

It's worth a shot to see if he can do it, rather than sticking with Schaub, who is not only not that good in the first place, but a guy whom the fanbase has turned against. Let Keenum play out the season, so they can see if they need to take a QB early in the draft.

I am not saying Keenum can't be a decent starter in the league, but if you are Houston, you don't pass on the chance to draft a guy like Bridgewater. I am not even saying Bridgewater will be better than Keenum (though I really do think he will be), but the chance at a #1 overall should not come around too often and if you (1) have a need at QB and (2) there is a deserving QB at #1, you end it there.
Houston becomes a very desirable head coaching job, with the chance to select a top QB in a draft of pretty good QBs and a roster already stacked with some talent.

It's worth a shot to see if he can do it, rather than sticking with Schaub, who is not only not that good in the first place, but a guy whom the fanbase has turned against. Let Keenum play out the season, so they can see if they need to take a QB early in the draft.
Oh, yeah, I wasn't suggesting they go back to Schaub. The fan-base would riot. I'm just saying, it's pretty obvious to me they're going to be acquiring their 2014 starting QB via either free agency or the draft.

Well at if we get Lovie our special teams will be the complete opposite of Marcianos sorry group
Considering what they saw in Chicago... I wouldn't be doing backflips for Lovie if I'm a Houston fan...

I'd go kick the tires on Sumlin.
Sumlin just signed a long-term contract so he's out.

Here is the list compiled by Houston beat writer John McCLain.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/12/potential-coaching-candidates-to-replace-gary-kubiak/#18642-1

Potential coaching candidates to replace Gary KubiakPosted on December 6, 2013 at 11:17 am by John McClain in 2013 season, General, Houston Texans
1. Jon Gruden, analyst, ESPNJust about everyone figures he’ll return at some point. Owners continue to check out his interest

2, Lovie Smith, former head coach, ChicagoThe native Texan led the Bears to a Super Bowl and was fired after going 10-6 last season

3, Wade Phillips, defensive coordinator, TexansThe interim coach took three teams – Denver, Buffalo and Dallas -- to the playoffs as a head coach

4. Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator, SeattleBefore running the Seahawks’ offense and coaching Russell Wilson, he was the coordinator at Minnesota and Green Bay.
5. Gus Malzahn, head coach, Auburn

The native Texan has been a head coach for two seasons, but he helped Auburn win a national title as offensive coordinator.

6. Bill O’Brien, head coach, Penn State

The former New England assistant under Bill Belichick has done a solid job under difficult circumstances

7. Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator, Arizona

He’s got 15 years of NFL coaching experience, and he’s doing an outstanding job with the Cardinals’ defense.

8. Pete Carmichael, offensive coordinator, New Orleans

This is his eighth season with the Saints, and they’ve had one of the league’s most prolific offenses.

9. David Shaw, head coach, Stanford

The former NFL assistant is so hot right now he can almost have his pick of jobs if he wants to move.

10. Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, San Francisco

The former Texans’ assistant excelled under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford and followed him to the 49ers.

=====================

Shocked that Browns DC Ray Horton didn't even get a mention by McClain.

@RavensInsider: Texans hope to interview Lovie Smith, to start Case Keenum rest of season: Former Bears coa... http://t.co/2T6lOeOjGw @footballpost #NFL
Don't read from that tweet that Lovie Smith ranks anywhere particularly on their coaching search.

The only reason his name was mentioned is because a reporter used him as an example of a defensive coach who is not currently with an NFL team, so could be interviewed before the NFL's window for such opens.

I can't ever recall a team with this much talent being this close to picking #1 overall? I'm not saying they are loaded but they are not the typical bottom feeder either.

Users who are viewing this thread