What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Krista4's Beatles 1-25 List Thread! Count down will start Mon Feb 14 noon ET. Will take new lists til then... (2 Viewers)

Totally in. I wasn’t visiting the FFA when Krista did her countdown and the original top 25 lists were sent in, but I gave a sense of my faves when I hippled the thread later on. I may have changed my mind about some things since then, but my 1A and 1B are still the same and probably always will be. 

I’ve asked my friend who did a list for the Zep countdown if he wants to do a list for this one. He’s obsessed with the Beatles to a degree that Krista might blush at. We were in high school when the Beatles albums came out on CD. He took the train to and from school — we went to an independent school that drew from all over the Philly area. On at least one occasion, he used his train money to buy the Beatles CD on the day it came out, then cajoled someone into driving him home. 
You have to admire that level of fandom!!!

The announcement of this countdown is the second-most exciting news of my day. First is that the University of Maryland transplanted a pig heart into a human.

The announcement of this countdown is the second-most exciting news of my day. First is that the University of Maryland transplanted a pig heart into a human.
As I mentioned in the other thread, I saw that a couple of LAPD ditched a crime, because they saw a Snorlax they had to catch instead.  Not 100% that happened today though.

I like this "feature" and I think it adds to the conversation - is anyone really going to be embarrassed because of a song they like?
Possibly. It might also stop people sending in lists.

It only takes one person to say who’s the idiot who ranked Octopus’s Garden #1? Or to then start hassling a posters song choices. I prefer to see peoples good sides, but being an ### costs nothing. 

Maybe if a poster prefers anonymity they can state that on their list submission. Otherwise its assumed they are ok? 

Most people dont give a flying fig, as the board is anonymous anyway, but there are enough bottom feeders here to ruin any party. 

It only takes one person to say who’s the idiot who ranked Octopus’s Garden #1? Or to then start hassling a posters song choices. I prefer to see peoples good sides, but being an ### costs nothing. 

Maybe if a poster prefers anonymity they can state that on their list submission. Otherwise its assumed they are ok? 

Most people dont give a flying fig, as the board is anonymous anyway, but there are enough bottom feeders here to ruin any party. 
I'm ok either way - but I just don't think music people generally get upset because their opinions aren't mainstream ones, most seem to relish it. If Octopus' Garden was my favorite Beatles song, I would sing it loudly on the Mountain Top.

I'm pretty sure my No. 2 song in the Zeppelin poll is an outlier.

I don't think that'll happen here. Someone may comment they don't care for the song, but I seriously doubt personal attacks occur from this group. Now, you may get some numbskull who doesn't like music (or threads about music) pop in and say something stupid, but he or she would get run out on a rail.

I haven't been following your U2 countdown. Are you getting that kind of crap in there?

Totally in. I wasn’t visiting the FFA when Krista did her countdown and the original top 25 lists were sent in, but I gave a sense of my faves when I hippled the thread later on. I may have changed my mind about some things since then, but my 1A and 1B are still the same and probably always will be. 

I’ve asked my friend who did a list for the Zep countdown if he wants to do a list for this one. He’s obsessed with the Beatles to a degree that Krista might blush at. We were in high school when the Beatles albums came out on CD. He took the train to and from school — we went to an independent school that drew from all over the Philly area. On at least one occasion, he used his train money to buy the Beatles CD on the day it came out, then cajoled someone into driving him home. 

ETA: He also owned Press to Play on vinyl, cassette and CD. Three copies of Press to Play!

That's four copies too many.  ;)

Your friend should not only submit a list, but post in the thread.  I'm sure he'll have tons of knowledge to impart.  I'm glad to see @Guido Merkins here as he was sorely missed in the first one, and as always I defer to the knowledge of @Godsbrother, too.  And where the heck did Morton Muffley go?  Is he now just @Morton?  (Probably just tagged someone from the Shark Pool who's wondering what is going on.  :lol:  )

Really don't think that would happen.   Everyone likes music in vastly different levels and tastes. The proof is that no one laughed ar Rock's list last time.

Here is a sample from last time.

I like this idea.  Anonymity if you ask for it; default is no anonymity.  I don't want anyone to be discouraged from submitting or being honest about their picks.  There are a few people on this board with "fans" who follow them around from thread to thread in order to antagonize them.

Speaking of which, how long is timschochet on timeout?  I hope he will be back in time to participate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feel free to haze me horribly, in any thread, at any time.  That's the most fun!

And new write-ups that no one will read?  Hooray!

Let's not get our hopes up on my write-ups, by the way, unless I lose my job and have unlimited time.  I realized, though, that for the initial list I wrote more about what I loved/hated about a song and less about the history and context of them.  I'd love to do something more along the lines of my post-Beatles thread, where I went into all of that much more, but I'll likely take my old write-ups and modify to add some more of it.  Luckily no one will notice my cribbing my own work, since no one read the posts the first time.

I don't think that'll happen here. Someone may comment they don't care for the song, but I seriously doubt personal attacks occur from this group. Now, you may get some numbskull who doesn't like music (or threads about music) pop in and say something stupid, but he or she would get run out on a rail.

I haven't been following your U2 countdown. Are you getting that kind of crap in there?
Not at all, but when i was asking for lists a couple wanted me to ensure them of anonymity, but didnt send lists in anyway. 228 songs is a bit much lol. I know how music can bring out the best in people, but there are a few people wired just wrong who can spoil things. I was just conscious of looking after people who ranked songs, but maybe me being too over protective. 

I trust that krista, getzalf and all the other good hearted beatles fans will stamp on any mean spiritedness. 

The proof is that no one laughed ar Rock's list last time.
Gosh darn (you know what I want to say) hippie Beatles. No use for 'em after Revolver. (And that Jay-Z thing.) 

I still have no idea what you were doing with that away from the mean thread. Still don't understand it. 

Math. Ew. 

Oh no!  :lol:   I wouldn't be surprised at the t-shirt, but just say no on the mustache!
Nah. No mustache. I think I had a handlebar one that I waxed, but I had a beard with it, so it wasn't tremendously bad or noticeable . 

I have never had just a mustache. I don't think, anyway. Can't remember when I would have thought it would be a good idea. 

The Nico shirt on a plump guy is no bueno, either, so I've foregone any attempts at that. Maybe, though...

Speaking of which, how long is timschochet on timeout?  I hope he will be back in time to participate.
Once he finished his 1978 thread someone asked if he was going back to the politics forum to get banned again. He obliged. Apparently you arent allowed to say you are smarter than someone else. Especially in a timdooshy way.

I'm a HUGE Led Zeppelin fan and I've had so much fun doing Anarchy's thread but having now started on my Beatles list it immediately jumps out to me why The Beatles are the GOAT for me and it's really not that close.  The sheer volume of high quality material, the accessibility of the music, the iconic songs, so many tunes about love (the universal language).  Simply amazing.

Not at all, but when i was asking for lists a couple wanted me to ensure them of anonymity, but didnt send lists in anyway. 228 songs is a bit much lol. I know how music can bring out the best in people, but there are a few people wired just wrong who can spoil things. I was just conscious of looking after people who ranked songs, but maybe me being too over protective. 

I trust that krista, getzalf and all the other good hearted beatles fans will stamp on any mean spiritedness. 
Absolutely!!  The list of Beatles songs that are truly bad is pretty small, IMO.  There is great variability in "correct answers".  I probably have a list of 50-60 songs that I can EASILY argue belong in the top 25 that I don't have in my list.  And if somebody loves Revolution #9 and thinks it's the pinnacle of Western Civilization, I disagree, but there is no need to belittle people.  To each their own....

I'm a HUGE Led Zeppelin fan and I've had so much fun doing Anarchy's thread but having now started on my Beatles list it immediately jumps out to me why The Beatles are the GOAT for me and it's really not that close.  The sheer volume of high quality material, the accessibility of the music, the iconic songs, so many tunes about love (the universal language).  Simply amazing.
I think of it as, the Beatles had the greatest quality control in the history of recorded music.  You can take quite a few high quality bands and list their top 30 or 40 and you might be convinced that these bands are as good as the Beatles.  But it's not the first 30 or 40 that is amazing.....it's the next 40 or 50 that is truly the difference.  Nobody else is close.  Not Zeppelin.  Not the Stones.  Not the Who.  Not anybody...  Paul McCartney recorded an absolutely PERFECT Little Richard type song called "I'm Down" and put it on the B Side of the "Help" single.  Other bands/artists build their entire career around a song like "I'm Down."  The Beatles just threw it away.  "In My Life", one of their most iconic songs.....just an album track stuck on the middle of Side 2 on Rubber Soul

An absolute embarrassment of riches.....

I think of it as, the Beatles had the greatest quality control in the history of recorded music.  You can take quite a few high quality bands and list their top 30 or 40 and you might be convinced that these bands are as good as the Beatles.  But it's not the first 30 or 40 that is amazing.....it's the next 40 or 50 that is truly the difference.  Nobody else is close.  Not Zeppelin.  Not the Stones.  Not the Who.  Not anybody...  Paul McCartney recorded an absolutely PERFECT Little Richard type song called "I'm Down" and put it on the B Side of the "Help" single.  Other bands/artists build their entire career around a song like "I'm Down."  The Beatles just threw it away.

An absolute embarrassment of riches.....

I definitely agree with this but I will give one caveat.  Almost all bands get sick of each other eventually.  I don't know the history behind all the other top bands but I know many shone bright and then faded.  Granted the same applies to the Beatles but just throwing that out there as a talking point.  If LZ had done the number of studio albums that The Beatles did together we may say they are greater - hard to say on some level although I'd probably still give The Beatles the nod due to the reason I listed them above as the GOAT.

@BobbyLayne@Gr00vus@shuke@Nipsey@Mister CIA@ScottNorwood@ManOfSteelhead@DaVinci@The Future Champs@munga30@fatguyinalittlecoat@Big Blue Wrecking Crew@Rustoleum@NealCassady@grateful zed@Bonzai@Yankee23Fan@heckmanm@Dinsy Ejotuz@Alex P Keaton@Spock@Doc Holiday@Ilov80s@Tom Hagen@worrierking@simey

So each of you here gave a list of 1-25 three years ago and hopefully you can do so again and bring some friends lists in also!  If you are not listed, it's because you've already posted in this thread.

I just went through all my Composite list posts from three years ago getting these names.  @Man of Constant Sorrow just killed it in those posts. RIP. Wish you were here.

I definitely agree with this but I will give one caveat.  Almost all bands get sick of each other eventually.  I don't know the history behind all the other top bands but I know many shone bright and then faded.  Granted the same applies to the Beatles but just throwing that out there as a talking point.  If LZ had done the number of studio albums that The Beatles did together we may say they are greater - hard to say on some level although I'd probably still give The Beatles the nod due to the reason I listed them above as the GOAT.
The circumstances of the Beatles career, for sure, had an impact.  As you said, the one thing the Beatles didn't have happen is a long decline.  They really broke up at the height of their power and they were all under 30.  Like Marilyn Monroe, they left a great looking corpse.  Going out with Abbey Road is....kind of ridiculous.  Nobody else has that luxury.....

Is there an easy way to find the post in which we posted our original list? I imagine my list will be the same as last time, don't think there have been any new Beatles releases between then and now that would change things.

I'm not so sure. Maybe under different circumstances - without, say, Plant's personal issues or Page not slamming needles into his arm or Bonham not doing Bonham things - but they were pretty much out of gas towards the end (though I think ITTOD is seriously underrated, mostly due to JPJ saving the day).

However, I also think they were talented & flexible enough to transition into the 1980s had they cleaned things up. 

I think the difference is that they didn't have the pressure on them that the Beatles did. There was a huge swath of the world's population who didn't know who Zep was, while everyone knew the Beatles (even if they didn't like or listen to them).

Elvis and Michael Jackson are the only musical monoliths even close, and they both had the upside/downside of a decline.

@BobbyLayne@Gr00vus@shuke@Nipsey@Mister CIA@ScottNorwood@ManOfSteelhead@DaVinci@The Future Champs@munga30@fatguyinalittlecoat@Big Blue Wrecking Crew@Rustoleum@NealCassady@grateful zed@Bonzai@Yankee23Fan@heckmanm@Dinsy Ejotuz@Alex P Keaton@Spock@Doc Holiday@Ilov80s@Tom Hagen@worrierking@simey

So each of you here gave a list of 1-25 three years ago and hopefully you can do so again and bring some friends lists in also!  If you are not listed, it's because you've already posted in this thread.

I just went through all my Composite list posts from three years ago getting these names.  @Man of Constant Sorrow just killed it in those posts. RIP. Wish you were here.
I will send in another list. I wonder what I chose 3 years ago...

Yeah, I'm not looking at my original list. I remember my #1, #3, and #11 - plus several others of which I can't recall the positions, but I know I had in there. But I was highly influenced by it being in-the-moment of the thread. I want to start fresh on this one.
yep..  I'm treating this similar.  Will be going through each album and the singles the next week and re-ranking them based on how I like them now.

Yeah, I'm going to go with my previous list + 1

1) Ballad Of John And Yoko

2) Taxman

3) Norwegian Wood

4) Here Comes The Sun

5) You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

6) Got To Get You Into My Life

7) Something

8 ) Come Together 

9) A Day In The Life

10) Drive My Car

11) With A Little Hellp From My Frends

12) Maxwell's Silver Hammer

13) Don't Let Me Down

14) The Long And Winding Road

15) I Am The Walrus

16) Blackbird

17) Hey Jude

18) In My Life

19) Revolution

20) I'll Follow The Sun

21) You Never Give Me Your Money

22) Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight

23) Tomorrow Never Knows

So I just processed the first list.

What a great list!   It had SIX songs that were not listed at all three years ago by the 35 that sent in lists.  I listened to them all just now.  These were all great songs that should have been listed last time.

Users who are viewing this thread