What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kirk Cousins Bandwagon (1 Viewer)

tsarc888

Footballguy
All indications are that he's starting at least the next 4-5 games. I figured he deserves his own thread aside from the endless RG3 discussion.

I'm starting him next week vs the Eagles so I'm definitely jumping on the bandwagon. I realize this bandwagon may be too early as he's still on waivers in many leagues so jump on when ready.

He looked good yesterday and there were reports in the off season that he had a good command of Gruden's offense.

A source tells the Washington Post that Jay Gruden preferred Kirk Cousins to Robert Griffin III even before Sunday's injury.
Gruden had no interest in trying to develop a scheme to suit Griffin's strengths. Instead, he tried to shoehorn him into a pocket passer role and the early results were troubling. The Washington Post says the silver lining of RG3's dislocated ankle is that Gruden now gets to insert Cousins without any political backlash. "Kirk is a special guy. ... obviously has a skill set that I feel like is very much suited for what we do," Gruden said. Cousins will be a reasonable QB2 bet at Philly in Week 3.
Related: Robert Griffin III

Source: Washington Post
Sep 15 - 10:47 AM

I'll most likely be getting aboard since RG3, Big Ben and Locker as a trip haven't done much for me so far.

Philly is a decent matchup. Hope Desean makes it though

Last edited by a moderator:
Chances RGIII's days in Wasnington are over? Pretty good I think.
RG3 would be long gone if he was in any other situation, but the Redskins gave up an awfully lot to take him #2 overall and the fans fell in love with him after a solid rookie season. They still might go back to him. How Cousins plays is obviously going to play a huge part in this as well.

RG3 would be long gone if he was in any other situation, but the Redskins gave up an awfully lot to take him #2 overall and the fans fell in love with him after a solid rookie season. They still might go back to him. How Cousins plays is obviously going to play a huge part in this as well.
Do what? Lead his team to a division title and was ROY in 2012. Came off ACL surgery and was mediocore in 2013. Now after 1 game in 2014, people think he's done with the Redskins? What have I missed?

Do what? Lead his team to a division title and was ROY in 2012. Came off ACL surgery and was mediocore in 2013. Now after 1 game in 2014, people think he's done with the Redskins? What have I missed?
The point?

The point?
Which is?

A lot of hype for the worst rated passer in football last season.

Kirk is alright. Poor Man's Dalton...except less mobile.

I owned RG3 last year and picked up Cousins when he came in late in the season. I remember a thread exactly like this hyping him up and he came in and was a big pile of turnover and mediocrity.

I'm not buying it.

He could have a good game or 2, but I don't think he's going to light it up. If RG3 is out for 4 weeks, Cousins gets: @Philly, NYG (Thu), Seattle (Mon), @Arizona. Could play well against the Eagles and Giants. But don't like him against Seattle and Arizona.

VikingFrog said:
I owned RG3 last year and picked up Cousins when he came in late in the season. I remember a thread exactly like this hyping him up and he came in and was a big pile of turnover and mediocrity.

I'm not buying it.
Cousins is a better quarterback than Griffin but that's not saying much.

However, to be fair, Kirk cousins has a slightly better surrounding cast this year. And by slightly, I mean much improved.

MattFancy said:
Timmay said:
Sandeman said:
Like I said, Redskin fans are in love with him. So if he was in any other situation his chances to regain the job would be slim. What has RG3 done since injuring his ACL in December 2012 to give you hope?

MattFancy said:
jeeb said:

He could have a good game or 2, but I don't think he's going to light it up. If RG3 is out for 4 weeks, Cousins gets: @Philly, NYG (Thu), Seattle (Mon), @Arizona. Could play well against the Eagles and Giants. But don't like him against Seattle and Arizona.
Struggle against Seattle and Arizona. Yea, along with nearly every other QB in the league.

MattFancy said:
Timmay said:
Sandeman said:
Like I said, Redskin fans are in love with him. So if he was in any other situation his chances to regain the job would be slim. What has RG3 done since injuring his ACL in December 2012 to give you hope?
Complete 78% of his passes against Houston. Post better numbers last season than Cousins. Griffin's 2013 Comp% was .1 behind Luck's and better than Stafford's. Griffin for sure has the higher ceiling and it isn't close.

MattFancy said:
jeeb said:

Struggle against Seattle and Arizona. Yea, along with nearly every other QB in the league.
Ok, well that's who he plays coming up. If the team isn't playing well and neither is Cousins, why not go back to a healthy RG3?

MattFancy said:
Timmay said:
Sandeman said:
Complete 78% of his passes against Houston. Post better numbers last season than Cousins. Griffin's 2013 Comp% was .1 behind Luck's and better than Stafford's. Griffin for sure has the higher ceiling and it isn't close.
That's only because he spends so much time on his back looking at it.

Thoughts on Cousins in dynasty? He is the clear starter for awhile, possibly for the rest of the year, and possibly long term? How do you rank him in dynasty right now? Top 15? Top 20?

Thoughts on Cousins in dynasty? He is the clear starter for awhile, possibly for the rest of the year, and possibly long term? How do you rank him in dynasty right now? Top 15? Top 20?
Really hard to tell. There's short-term value for sure, but as far as long-term, still up in the air. From all indications so far, sounds like RG3 will be back at some point this season. I believe unless Cousins play lights out, I think it'll be tough not to go back to RG3. I think he's good trade bait if you don't own RG3. But other than that, it's really hard to determine his long-term value right now.

And yet they apparently hired a coach who doesn't really like him and doesn't want to work with him. that whole organization is ridiculous.

This is like a perfect storm. Cousins is waaaaay better suited for this offense. He did pretty good in relief this sunday and has been pretty decent when he has started in the past. He even had some really huge games as well. If gruden could make dalton a top qb last year he can do it with cousins. Washington has so many weapons and just wait for djax and reed to come back. Where can i sit on this bandwagon?

And yet they apparently hired a coach who doesn't really like him and doesn't want to work with him. that whole organization is ridiculous.
he doesn't fit the scheme. hes old news time to move on. new coach would rather the redskins win than hurt rg3 feelings. a good change indeed

packersfan said:
Any early thoughts on FAAB bids to get him? How popular of a pickup will he be?
I'm considering going with 25-30% of my budget in a 2-QB league (RG3 is my QB2) but I may end up lowering it to around 20% by Wednesday.
Who is your #3 QB, if you have one?

In your situation I'd be looking to up the ante not lower it. Someone else may get a rare #2 QB after the season starts or may get a guy that's not there come playoff push. You would have both QBs for a potentially potent offense.

If I didn't have RG3, I'd not want to go as high.

Fellow RGIII owners, are you dropping him for Cousins or holding both on the roster? I have the room to hold both but have no confidence that RGIII will get the job back nor will he perform well if he were to get it back.

I'm dropping RG3 right out. Got Gordon sitting on my bench and a bit of an RB crisis going on so I've got no space to be stocking injured QBs

I'm keeping RG3 in my start 2 QB league (have Cousins too), but I wouldn't be holding onto him in a start 1 QB league unless you had a deep bench.

packersfan said:
I'm considering going with 25-30% of my budget in a 2-QB league (RG3 is my QB2) but I may end up lowering it to around 20% by Wednesday.

In your situation I'd be looking to up the ante not lower it. Someone else may get a rare #2 QB after the season starts or may get a guy that's not there come playoff push. You would have both QBs for a potentially potent offense.

We only roster 2 QBs so there's always something on the WW (it isn't always great but there's always something). I've gone up to 32% right now ($16 bid with $50 budget). I'm still debating whether I want to lower it. I'm not going any higher. I'm just not a big Cousins fan. He hasn't impressed me a great deal. The only reason I'm going as aggressively is I like his upside more than the other QBs currently available on the WW like Geno, Fitzpatrick, Henne etc.

Just saw Cousins go for $26 in a $100 FAAB league. I'm the RG3 owner and put in $12 on him. Didn't think anyone else would be going after him. Don't think I would've paid that much for him. Happily scooped up Tannehill for $1 instead.

Also, this is a start 1 QB league.

Bottom line, Washington spent a lot of time, money, and fanbase good will to make Griffin the face of their franchise. RGIII is vastly more valuable and marketable than Cousins in DC.

Unless Cousins wins and produces gaudy numbers, Griffin will get another shot. Mediocre stats and game manager wins won't give Cousins the job. Cousins will need to show he is head and shoulders above RGIII in every category to win the job outright.

This isn't the same situation as an old, infamous Vick vs. young franchise buck Foles.

This isn't the same situation as an old, infamous Vick vs. young franchise buck Foles.
Agreed, last year Vick was 33y/o. Griffin is 24y/o and Cousins is 26 y/o. Wasn't a surprise the Eagles went with the younger cheaper option last year.

I don't see how the Skins don't go back to Griffin unless Cousins is the 2nd coming of Tom Brady. Cousins will probably have a few good games (his only real tough defensive matchups are Seattle and Arizona).

Just saw Cousins go for $26 in a $100 FAAB league. I'm the RG3 owner and put in $12 on him. Didn't think anyone else would be going after him. Don't think I would've paid that much for him. Happily scooped up Tannehill for $1 instead.

Wow, 26% of the FAAB for Cousins? I hope owners in my leagues aren't that aggessive.

Wow, 26% of the FAAB for Cousins? I hope owners in my leagues aren't that aggessive.
And it's not like his QB is terrible, he has Kaepernick. So he paid all that money for a QB to basically hang out on his bench most weeks.

And it's not like his QB is terrible, he has Kaepernick. So he paid all that money for a QB to basically hang out on his bench most weeks.
maybe he thinks he can set himself up to trade one, or he's just sick of kaep

packersfan said:

We only roster 2 QBs so there's always something on the WW (it isn't always great but there's always something). I've gone up to 32% right now ($16 bid with $50 budget). I'm still debating whether I want to lower it. I'm not going any higher. I'm just not a big Cousins fan. He hasn't impressed me a great deal. The only reason I'm going as aggressively is I like his upside more than the other QBs currently available on the WW like Geno, Fitzpatrick, Henne etc.
got ya. we dont have roster limits so qbs are a valued commodity

packersfan said:

got ya. we dont have roster limits so qbs are a valued commodity
wut

It is close. Here's why.

Griffin has been little better than a dink and dunk passer since the knee blowout. He didn't really change his profile in terms of what kinds of passes he attempted, but his results on everything even remotely downfield went from -- not just league-best -- but legendarily good his rookie year, to absolutely horrific year two. That "legendarily" stuff isn't hyperbole. His efficiency completing deep passes as a raw rookie was among the best the league has ever seen. Then suddenly, he was terrible.

Sophomore jinx?

Hardly. Griffin was the most electrifying running threat at QB in the league the instant he stepped on the field. He wasn't just dangerous, he was so dangerous teams had to break down their entire defensive schemes just to account for the ability of his legs to turn any play into a huge gain. And when they did that, it was broken coverage and mismatch after broken coverage and mismatch, all day long. And Griffin, to his credit, did a great job finding and exploiting them. We rookie RG3 owners were loving life. :thumbup:

Last year? No DC in the league regarded him as nearly as big a threat. He still ran some, but the days of scheming to keep him contained were gone, and DC's let their vanilla schemes do their best to contain him, while he collapsed in terms of his passing success downfield. He just doesn't have the type of accuracy and mastery of the throws he needs to thread those needles like elite passers do. He was back up to 78% against HOU precisely because Gruden completely gave up on downfield passing game one.

Now? After the second absolutely catastrophic injury to his wheels in a couple years' time, there's got to be real concern if he'll even be mobile again, much less the kind of threat that demands the commitment from the defense that RG3 absolutely requires in order to be successful as a passer in this league.

Cousins, as has already been alluded to, can easily be considered a poor man's Andy Dalton in terms of what he brings to the field. And how was Andy in the Gruden system? Cousins has good targets all over the field, a solid running game behind him, and a system that is custom tailored for a QB like him.

I wouldn't say Cousins has all that captivating a ceiling anyway, though if he got the reins for a season, I suspect he'd be startable as an FF QB. I simply don't think Griffin moving forward has nearly enough tools left in the toolbox to become a good NFL QB again. He was a young Vick with good decision making thrown in for good measure...if he could just have stayed healthy. But life isn't kind to scatback QB's. The instant they lose half a step, they'd better be able to transition to Brady/Manning/Marino type pocket effectiveness, or their time of relevance is done.

And I think Griffin's is done. :shrug:

I think Cousins can be better than Dalton. Look at McCown with Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett and Trestman. Cousins is young and hungry and very talented, and he will be in combo with Gruden with those receivers.

I feel bad for Griffin, they put a lot of work in last year, but his getting injured on a totally unforced play was just bizarre and worrisome.

why wasn't Cousins available in the subscriber's contest? i was hoping to use a few bucks knowing that there was a good chance of him starting a few games...oh well

Users who are viewing this thread